main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT-Theatrical version vs DVD vs BLu Ray Versions

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    So we got THREE versions of the PT. We got the original theatrical version, then we have DVD altered version, then the canon version-the blu ray. Which is best to you guys?

I kind of noticed some of the blu ray changes like more troops on Utopau was not as fun to watch as the original, but I still like it. It kind of sucks we don't have a theatrical version of say TPM on DVD or blu ray.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the theatrical versions of the PT being released? People talk about the OT theatrical cuts, I want the theatrical cuts on blu ray for all 6 WITH the special editions. Which is better though? I know it's subjective but I'm curious what people have to say.

2. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I can see TPM happening maybe, but with AOTC and ROTS, the changes are so minor that I don't really think there is enough demand. Although I do hope that on future releases of AOTC, the scenes that were recut (The Chase Scene and Douku's Escape) are restored to the way they were, the new edits seem so... off.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  3. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Well all 3 were minor, I think episode lv's was minor too. However I still want every version of the movie for collector's sake. It's something for hardcore fans. Even if it's just digital. In fact they OWN the OG versions of the PT. Fox doesn't, so Disney should release it on digital. It'll cost no money whatsoever.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The number of troops on Utapau never changed. The only visual change in Revenge of the Sith was the added moss on a Kashyyyk roof.

5. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember them adding more clones in the invasion scene. You can even hear the difference. They made the invasion force MUCH bigger. It's right before Grievous goes "army or NOT ...you must realize...you are DOOMED!"

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm pretty sure that the only change to that scene was to add Clone chatter when they arrive.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As pointed out, you can hear them talking now, when before it was just music. That doesn't mean there are more of them nor that the invasion is "much bigger".

8. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    But wasn't there more ships and clones? It's the same scene, but with more clones added in.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Nope, no more clones or ships were ever added to that scene.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Changes to the Prequel Trilogy

1999 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace DVD

Several deleted scenes are added into the film:
    • Several introductions of other racers are included
    • Footage of the second lap in the Pod Race was reinserted
    • Removal of a scene of Watto screaming "SEBULBA!"
    • An air taxi sequence was reinserted after the arrival on Coruscant.
    2002 Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones DVD

Most of these changes did not appear in the main theatrical release, but made it into a version shown in select digital theaters.
    • Several speeders were removed from a shot during the Bounty Hunter pursuit scene.
    • New dialogue added to the scene where Anakin confesses to the Tusken slaughter to Padmé.
    • Additional sparks and smoke have been added to Jango Fett's jetpack shortly before his death to better present its malfunction.
    • After falling out of the gunship on Geonosis, a clone trooper asks if Padmé is all right. Her response of "yes" has been changed to a more realistic groggy "Uh-huh."
    • During their duel on Kamino a shot of Jango Fett headbutting Obi-Wan is removed from the UK version of the film and DVD.
    • Anakin's mechanical hand now holds Padmé's hand during the closing wedding sequence (this was originally included in the DLP theater release of the film).
    2005 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith DVD
    • In the scene where a shot transitions to Vader crawling up the lava bank, a wipe from the shot of Obi-Wan and Threepio in the cockpit of Padmé's ship leaving Mustafar to Vader's mechanical hand grasping at the volcanic soil has been replaced with a straight cut to this shot from the cockpit of Padmé's ship on the DVD.
    • There is a different wipe and slightly shorter "Noooo!!" from Darth Vader.
    2011 Blu-ray release

The Phantom Menace

[​IMG]
    The puppet of Yoda used in The Phantom Menace was replaced by the CG model of Yoda used in Revenge of the Sith.
    • The scene composition affected by image magnification in the original DVD release was restored bringing around 8% more picture to the frame.
    • Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's Force speed effect was redone to look more realistic.
    • A close-up shot of Nute Gunray and Rune Haako watching a viewscreen showing the Jedi escaping was replaced for a wide shot with a new effect for the screen itself.
    • The puppet version of Yoda was replaced with a CGI version as in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.[10]
    • An effects error causing Fode and Beed's hand to pass through their vest was fixed.
    • Right after Jabba the Hutt's introduction before the podrace a new voice is heard from a spectator when the camera is focused on the crowd.
    • Calls from the Senate to "Vote now!" when Queen Amidala puts forward a motion of no confidence have been replaced with the sound of a general uproar.
    Attack of the Clones
    • During the chase on Coruscant, when Anakin and Obi-Wan pass through the power couplings, several shots are rearranged.
    • During Anakin's nightmare scene, a voiceover of his mother Shmi is added.
    • After Yoda saves Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku's falling pillar, the reaction shots of Yoda and then Anakin and Obi-Wan are moved to before the shots of Dooku escaping on his ship and Padmé and the clonetroopers arriving and firing at him. This edit creates an irregularity in the background music.
    Revenge of the Sith
    • The scene in which Obi-Wan encounters General Grievous on Utapau and the Clone Army arrives is altered, adding dialogue from the troopers as they land on platform.
    • The Kashyyyk headquarters rooftop was rendered to appear more significantly aged by adding moss and rust.[13]
    • The transition from Padmé's ship to Vader on Mustafar is changed from a straight cut back to a wipe, restoring the original theatrical release.

11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    the only copy I have of TPM is the theatrical version including the Yoda puppet. I plan on getting the BluRay 1-6 soon

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The theatrical version was only released on VHS and LD.

13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    TPM - blu-ray. Bigger picture frame, better force speed effect, no pink tone and, naturally, CGI Yoda. Explained here.

AOTC - DVD.

ROTS - DVD.

I didn't buy the blu-ray edition, I saw it on TV. TPM changes are really good and make the experience better, AOTC and ROTS changes are... Hm, I prefer the DVD. :)

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Wasn't there an ugly teal-green tint put all over AOTC on the Blu-ray? I've seen some stills that looked awful.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why?

16. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The stills look awful, but the movie looks great on my TV screen (without making any color corrections).

17. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    well than mine must not be the theatrical version but it does have the puppet Yoda on it

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It also has the extended podrace and Coruscant sequences, along with some minor changes.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    ObiWanKnowsMe The DVD of the phantom menace is not the theatrical one. It's slightly altered form the theatrical version. it still has puppet yoda because all the versions of the film have it accept the blu ray. The theatrical is on VHS and Laserdisc. No dvd or blu ray yet ;/

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    [

Ezon Pin likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I haven't noticed any tint on my copy.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I never noticed any green tint on the blu-ray. People claim that the Kamino scenery behind the windows of Jango Fett´s apartment looks green. To me it still looks blue.

oierem likes this.
  23. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    there's no bad green tint. People just like spreading rumors ;/
    bad part of the internet strikes again.

Avid_Prequels_Fan likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There is a teal filter on the Blu-ray master of AotC:

DVD:

[​IMG]

BD:

[​IMG]

It's in the whole movie, not just on Kamino. There's also two reordered shots although they seem to have been a mistake.

25. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Teal I agree with. But I think it looks even better! Which version do you all prefer for each film though? Not just looks I mean everything like puppet vs cgi Yoda. (Go CGI Yoda btw :p)