main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Quagmire (AU, L/M others around ROTJ) Part 1 completed 29th. September

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kataja, Jun 14, 2010.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hey, I've caught up and loved it!!! Interesting things will happen when Luke and Shira and Mara all wind up in the same room LOL though I think Shira's more interested than Luke ever was ;) Which is deuced convenient [face_laugh]

[face_dancing]

I'd love on your PM train - I don't want to get behind again

[:D]

2. zonzo

zonzo Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2007
    PM me for sure :)

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Valiowk
    Thank you so much! :)
    Interesting that Mara was confident enough of herself to think that Vader might want to work together with her initially, yet she doubts her abilities in the Force... Remember that Mara wouldn't know of other Force sensitives, so the idea that Vader would be interested is pretty close at hand. And I don't think she doubts her abilities as much as she's a realist - she's has knowledge of what the Jedi of old could do and she knows she can't do that. I don't think Palpatine kept her in the dark as much as he made sure her focus was on what he wanted it to be...

While Luke, quite the contrary, has few ideas of what he actually can.;) When he fails it's not because he can't - it's because he doesn't realize he could.

Jedi_BMK
    [face_laugh] Yeah, this isn't Mara's finest hour. She's used to working hard but she's also used the success follows neatly in tail...[face_mischief]

*Falls on floor laughing. Gets up and tries to picture Lando as a Jedi. Falls back to floor laughing even harder.*
    Good grief, I actually failed to follow that trail of thought. [face_laugh] It would indeed be a disaster! :p

The Force never makes sense at the time, does it? It must explain why Jedi are so cryptic. They're just permanently confused.
    I never thought about that either :p

Thanks for your support!![:D]

Piper057
    Aww, thank you!!![face_blush]

Jedi_QueenBee
    - They will![face_devil]

blank
    This clipped along at a great pace

Thanks. This isn't the fastest of stories...But it will erupt in action every now and then, I promise. I'm happy that you think this action part worked!

And another great slice of Mara-psychology!

I suppose I'm basically more interested in the characters than in what they do...[face_whistling]

And lots of little nods to the original too, which was great fun and locked the moments down perfectly.
    Glad you liked. I've been moving around to get my pieces into position - and as I couldn't just write stright from ROTJ's screenplay I had to make a mix. But from here, AU will start to twist out...;)

Jade-eyes

Welcome! [:D] I'm so glad you liked!!!
    I think Shira's more interested than Luke ever was

Hmmm, we'll se about that... :D Maybe you're right...?[face_batting]

Zonzo
    - I will! :)

Huge thanks to you all!!! [:D] [:D] [:D]
    The PM list looks like follows:
    Valiowk
    Jedi_BMK
    blank101
    darkladypurplepencil
    Jade_eyes
    Zonzo

4. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire ? Chapter 5

Among the enemy

It took her a long time to remember where she was. Slowly, Mara blinked sleep from her still-heavy eyes ? then reality hit her and she sat abruptly up in alarm. A jolt of pain shot through her at the movement, reminding her of her wound. Heart racing, she glared frantically around her, but calmed down as she realized that she was alone, in what looked like a cabin. She recognized the familiar hum of a hyperdrive. How long had she been unconscious? Only a few discordant glimpses were fresh in her memory; the brown, shaggy fur of the Wookiee, probably carrying her into the ship; someone messing with her wound; Skywalker?s calm hands on her temple and chest; and the Princess? voice ? ?She calls herself Arica, but I don?t think that?s her real name...?

Mara touched her thigh gingerly. A solid bacta patch was placed over the wound and it didn?t hurt that much, at least as long as she kept still. Obviously, she?d been given some kind of painkiller.

Taking a deep breath, Mara swung her legs over the edge of the bunk and planted them on the floor. Pain jolted through her again but it was bearable. She swayed heavily - but she stood. Glancing down her torso, she noted that her daring dance ensemble had been exchanged for a tunic that was anything but. It bagged around her, definitely too big, but was just long enough to be decent.

For a few moments she just stood, trying to gather her dizzy thoughts, attempting to comprehend where she was, and under what circumstances. There was no sign that she was kept prisoner and when she scanned the cabin she found her few belongings neatly gathered on a chair; her skimpy dancing dress actually took up less space than her shoes and accessories. The small vibroknife that she?d kept hidden in her leg bracelet was on the top of the pile.

Tentatively, Mara held a hand out before her and realized it was shaking. She moaned in frustration; how was she going to take out a Jedi in this condition? Then, slowly, woke in her the understanding that she might not have to, not yet If nobody had considered her a threat this far, she might be able to bide her time. After all, why shouldn?t the rebels buy her cover as a dancing girl? Maybe she would even be able to increase her chances by lulling her target into false security? If Skywalker was on the ship, that was ? so far she had no confirmation that he was even in the same system.

Obviously, information had to be her first priority. Mara picked up the vibroblade, just in case, and hid it carefully at the small of her back, under the waistband of her underwear The possibility of biding her time aside, this might be her only opportunity to complete her mission, and in that case she?d better be prepared.

Slowly, doggedly, she limped out of the cabin. The first area she entered was empty at the moment but looked like the engineering bay. A glance at the ship chrono told her it was early morning standard time. Most of the crew was probably asleep yet. Moving from the bay to a corridor, she noted low voices from its far end, and steered toward the sound.

?Don?t mention it.?

Skywalker?s voice ? he was here! And was that Solo answering him? She hunkered outside the hatch to listen.

?Oh, yes I will. That carbon freeze was the closest thing to dead there is. And it wasn?t just sleepin?, it was a big, wide awake Nothin?. I won?t forget you came for me, Luke!?

He got no answer and through the door Mara could sense the young Jedi?s embarassment. Apparently she had caught him and Solo in a sensitive moment. She hesitated, freshly unsure what to do?

Skywalker, however, had already sensed her. ?Hey!? The hatch slid open and she faced blue eyes, looking straight at her. ?You?re up already? You shouldn?t be, you know.?

Mara limped in and leaned against the door. ?Didn?t mean to interrupt anything.? She noticed that the Jedi had changed his black clothing to beige, standard fatigues. Sitting at the battered, circular table in the dilapidated hold he looked like any servicem

5. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Nice interactions all around. You're doing a good job showing how everyone is dealing with their current situations.

All guys have their type. Even if it doesn't necessarily make any sense.

[face_worried] Now I'm wondering if he'll make it back to Yoda in time.

Looking forward to more as always.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Han is great in this with Luke and with Leia -- showcasing his concerned friendship for Luke, and getting closer to Leia. Luke's ponderings about Mara ... definitely things he needs to get a grip on -- what/who is she really o_O

Luke is still haunted by the BIG REVEAL [face_laugh] I think that may skew his choices/judgment quite a bit -- [face_worried]

~~

Be kinda cool if he and Mara go meet Yoda -- in another fic I read called Take My Hand -- that was where their relationship really took off.

Squee!

:D ;)

7. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Delay too long he should not, I think. Nine hundred years is not a spring chicken anymore, and I hope he hasn't delayed too much already.

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Lovely update exploring the current state of relationships between the main characters! =D=

It's funny, but the Luke I love best is still the bashful Luke of early days, who is unsure about how to deal with such situations. Lovely portrayal of Luke's embarrassment at being asked such a question by Mara! :)

I can just imagine the look on Mara's face at this moment! [face_beatup] *gets punched by an angry Mara* It'll be all too apparent that Mara isn't a real dancing girl if she lets it show that she's "never been carried by a man in her entire life" - fortunately Luke is too embarrassed to notice anything at the moment!

Hm, I wonder what exactly caused Mara to slip up? [face_thinking] :p In any case, what's been done is done - no use worrying about it.

This is way too suggestive :p for something that isn't going to turn out that naughty...or is it? ;)

Don't worry, Luke, she isn't thinking anything uncomplimentary about you! [face_dancing]

...yet the feeling

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

-----did Skywalker and his friend considered her a threat ? or was she was just an inconvenience that had stuck to their boots like a wad of gum.-----

Made me laugh! Very Mara :D

-----She needed to know how far their hospitality would go, and in her experience, the best way to see the true face of people was to provoke them.------

As is that.

-----He hesitated a moment, then slipped his arm from her shoulders down her back. The next moment he?d bent down and swept her up from the floor and into his arms. Mara stared at him, eyes widening and suddenly chokingly clueless about how to react. She had never been carried by a man in her entire life. Like some holovid heroine!
    He didn?t look down at her but stared straight ahead, a faint blush on his cheeks the only sign that he didn?t haul scantily clad girls around on a regular basis.-----

This was such a great moment - made me grin!

-----Leia had naturally seen the potential of the captain having a personal cabin instead of sharing with the rest of the crew-----
    [face_blush] :p

-----But Mara Jade was sound asleep, just as he?d reckoned, her sense dim and relaxed, yet somehow glowing. A bit like Leia?s presence felt to him, Luke reflected in surprise.-----

Dum-dum-dum-DUM!

A great slice of life, withe everyone coming to terms with all the changes. Nice that Han, Luke and Leia are a little cagey around each other, even though none bears any other ill will. It's a very realistic and well observed readjustment of their combined circumstances.
    Everyone had their little moment, and they were all great. In fact, I can't wait to see where it all goes :D

[face_peace] =D=

10. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    What is with him and redheads anyway? I suppose I should just be happy that I, too, am a redhead... :p

I'm excited to see how Mara recovers and begins to react to her place among the rebels. And to Shira Brie.

Cheers,
    DLPP

11. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jedi_BMK - [Nice interactions all around. You're doing a good job showing how everyone is dealing with their current situations.
    Thank you so much! [:D] I hope I won't stumble in it - there so many characters and so many feelings... ;) And more to come yet...[face_devil]

i]Now I'm wondering if he'll make it back to Yoda in time.[/i]
    Yes, we know that there's a clock ticking, but Luke doesn't... [face_whistling]

Jade_eyes - Han is great in this with Luke and with Leia -- showcasing his concerned friendship for Luke, and getting closer to Leia.
    I always think such a thing they hurried over Han's recovery too quickly in ROTJ - so I've made it my personal mission to give him some place here :p

Luke's ponderings about Mara ... definitely things he needs to get a grip on -- what/who is she really

Luke is still haunted by the BIG REVEAL I think that may skew his choices/judgment quite a bit --

The "big reveal" certainly occupies him - as does bad conscience - you know the truth that things you have undone fills much more than actually doing them. And unfortunately Luke's not aware of Mara's importance yet... [face_devil]

dmi1 Delay too long he should not, I think. Nine hundred years is not a spring chicken anymore, and I hope he hasn't delayed too much already.
    We can easily agree on that. [face_mischief]

Valiowk
    Lovely update exploring the current state of relationships between the main characters!
    Aww - thank you so much!!!:D

It's funny, but the Luke I love best is still the bashful Luke of early days, who is unsure about how to deal with such situations.
    [face_blush] Me too! :p

Hm, I wonder what exactly caused Mara to slip up?
    Next chapter. [face_mischief]

This is way too suggestive for something that isn't going to turn out that naughty...or is it?
    Ohh... I let the text speak for itself ;) O:)

...yet the feeling, the sense of her when he?d met her gaze had been something completely different. If anything, it had actually drawn his attention from her physical appearance - and this is the reason why Shira doesn't stand a chance!
    Hmm, are you sure? ;) Shira can be quite persuasive... There's the long run and the short run, of course...[face_whistling]

blank101
    Made me laugh! Very Mara
    Thanks! :D Yes, enlighted as she is, she still has little idea of how decent people do act.

This was such a great moment - made me grin!
    I must admit I like to push a strong independent character like Mara into a cliché. It just makes her sputter with indignation :p

-----But Mara Jade was sound asleep, just as he?d reckoned, her sense dim and relaxed, yet somehow glowing. A bit like Leia?s presence felt to him, Luke reflected in surprise.-----

Dum-dum-dum-DUM!

I know you'd see that one ;)

Nice that Han, Luke and Leia are a little cagey around each other, even though none bears any other ill will. It's a very realistic and well observed readjustment of their combined circumstances.
    You know me - I can tumble around in people's feelings for ages... I just hope I manage to move on while I still have any readers left. :rolleyes: But I'm glad you liked!

DLPP
    What is with him and redheads anyway? I suppose I should just be happy that I, too, am a redhead...

I'm excited to see how Mara recovers and begins to react to her place among the rebels. And to Shira Brie./i]

You're a redhead? Lucky you, to bad Luke's in another galaxy :p And Mara and Shira will come face to face, just you wait.[face_batting]

Thank you so much for your wonderful replies! They make it all worthwhile!!! [:D]
    Next chapter will be up shortly - today or tomorrow I hope!:cool:

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Ok, took me a bit longer - sorry for that. Hope you all enjoy!
    PM's will be out shortly

Quagmire ? Chapter 6

Hangfire

? ?Morning, Lando.?

Lando looked quickly up from the navicomputer, still vaguely unnerved by the presence of his old friend; the friend he?d betrayed so stupidly, yet had risked everything to help in the end. He and Han had made peace the day before, but he still felt indebted. Probably it would take some time before things could go back to old, Lando mused. So he only nodded and flashed a big smile, too well practiced to be diminished by nervousness. ?Good morning yourself, you old pirate!?

Han?s grin in return was maybe a bit constrained but earnest enough. He strolled through the cockpit and slouched down into the Captain?s chair, running his hands lightly over the operating panel, cherishing the familiar feeling of it under his palms. The Falcon was travelling steadily through hyperspace with no need for its captain?s guidance, but it felt good to Han to touch the controls, like caressing an old mistress, and he was sure his ship felt the same way. It was good to be home.

?We?ve done our best to take care of your ship,? Lando commented.

Your ship! Not ?My ship?! This was possibly the first time Lando had refrained from pointing out that the Falcon had been his ship before he'd lost her to Han in a sabacc game, years ago. He must be feeling awkward as hell if he was avoiding their traditional argument over the freighter. Come to think of it, it made Han feel awkward too, but of course if he pointed it out things would only get worse. Lando had seemed genuinely sorry when he?d apologized yesterday, and he?d helped them at the Pit of Carkoon. Chewie, Leia and Luke had practically been scrambling over each other to explain that Lando had done everything a reasonable being could ask of him in the past months to make up for his mistake at Bespin ... and Han wasn?t one to bear a grudge?

?I appreciate that,? he replied, trying to keep the tone light and casual. ?So, who?s been flying her? You and Chewie or..??

?Me and Chewie mostly. A few times Luke and Leia have used her too.? When Han frowned, Lando added nervously, ?That Luke, he?s a darned good pilot, you know. He flies almost better than me. But don?t tell him I said that.? Lando tried a grin.

?Uh, yeah, he?s pretty good for a kid.? Han flickered on a few controls, then added casually, ?So, Luke and Leia have been going on some Alliance missions, huh??

Lando bit his lip. ?Quite a few I think, yeah. But she?s completely untouched, you know.?

Han looked up, sharply. ?Who??

?Well, uh, your pretty bird here,? Lando clarified, waving around the cockpit. ?We've all been very careful. Not a scratch.?

Han seemed to pull himself together. ?Oh. Right.?

Lando tried to stay on safe ground. ?That Luke, he?s really responsible too, being so young. Nothing like we were. I?d never guessed he?s only in his early twenties, as serious as he is.?

?Well, he sure wasn?t that serious before,? Han muttered to himself

?What??

?Huh. Nothing??

When Mara next woke up, she felt much better. Her leg still ached, but not nearly as much as before, and the dizziness was gone. She was still far from being in top form, but at least she was recovering. Lying still for awhile, she took her time to register her own body and reflect on the situation.

She was on the enemy?s ship and she had a job to do ? but was she strong enough to do it yet? So far, no one seemed to suspect her true intent, and she could see no reason why they should either. Despite that, the memory of her involuntary slip sent a wave of discomfort through her. Why in Kessel had she told Skywalker her real name? What had she been thinking?

The pathetic answer could only be that she hadn?t been thinking at all; she?d simply been too exhausted. And maybe, she had to admit, maybe there was something about Skywalker that put her off-guard too. Mara tended to form her opinion of people quickly and was

13. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Great update! =D= I loved your occasional plays on words: "this particular unit took the ryshcate" - nice substitute for cake here! - and "More than once Luke had found himself retreating when the sexual undertones in their banter had gotten dangerously close to becoming overtones" - nice play on undertones/overtones! Also this one:

Why do I get the feeling that Han's mind had jumped to something else entirely? :p

You know, the Emperor's ability to communicate so clearly with his Hands over long distances still disturbs me after all the years I've been an SW fan...

Might Mara and Shira encounter each other sometime in the future? I wonder what would come out of such an encounter... :rolleyes:

Interesting personality that Mara has fashioned for herself - it's definitely not going to win her very many friends. I wonder what Luke will make of it as he gets to know Mara further?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Han & Lando scene =D= =D= Just the right tone/balance of awkward mixed with camaraderie =D= :p

Mara with Palpy -- wow!!!! You wrote that excellently!!! Mara in EH-mode is always a cool thing to read and write!!!

The Luke/Leia/Mara scene -- hee! Full of feisty snippyness. Loved Leia's admonitions about Luke :) And Luke with Mara during the meal -- happy sigh -- classic. [face_love]

15. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    The Han and Lando scene was certainly fun. Mara's communication with the Emperor was a little creepy, but I've always found Mara in full Emperor's Hand mode to be a little creepy so I would say that's a good thing. I found Luke's thoughts jumping around from place to place (the past, visions, Shira, Vader, Han) very believable and certainly well done. Nice work.

Interesting exchange between Leia and Mara. It appears Leia went into something like Mama Bear mode, letting Mara know, albeit subtly, that if she did anything to one of her friends, especially Luke, that she would answer to her.

I like how Luke and Mara already seem able to throw each other off balance. Very in keeping for them, especially in the early stages of their relationship. Now I wonder just how the two redheads in Luke's life will respond to each other when they meet... And there went a plot bunny hopping by. Thanks a lot. :p

Therefore, it was somehow ironic that it was when she executed this her special skill and the audience was over that she always wanted to weep like a child, like was a part of herself ripped away.

I think she should consider that response a little further. It would tell her something about the real nature of their relationship.

Hey Han, guess what I?ve found out? Darth Vader is probably my father. He told me himself just after he cut my hand off. I?d gladly cut off my other hand too if it could make it untrue.

[face_laugh] That would be priceless if he actually said that. Great line regardless.

The Princess seemed to find their exchange amusing. ?Relax, Mara. You don?t have to watch out for Luke. Lando?s a completely different matter, I don?t answer for him, but Luke is as good as they get. He won?t try anything.?

Mara arched an eyebrow. ?So your tastes don?t run towards females, Skywalker??

[face_laugh] That was just low. But I found it amusing anyway.

However, if he was this committed type that Organa suggested, he might involve himself more deeply than most of her targets, and for some reason that thought made her uneasy. Skywalker was a target that was to be eliminated, and Mara absolutely detested when a target developed deeper feeling towards his nemesis. That had already happened once, and nothing would ever make her forget what she?d felt like afterwards.

Hmm, will we be hearing more about this target as the story goes on? You've got me curious.

16. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Heh - you always write Luke and Mara so at odds! It?s nice how they can catch each other out though, already.

I loved how protective Leia was of him ? and not without cause. Poor Luke! Mara would eat him alive!:(

And Han?s misunderstanding:-
    ?So, who?s been flying her? You and Chewie or..??

?Me and Chewie mostly. A few times Luke and Leia have used her too.? When Han frowned, Lando added nervously, ?That Luke, he?s a darned good pilot, you know. He flies almost better than me. But don?t tell him I said that.? Lando tried a grin.

?Uh, yeah, he?s pretty good for a kid.? Han flickered on a few controls, then added casually, ?So, Luke and Leia have been going on some Alliance missions, huh??

Lando bit his lip. ?Quite a few I think, yeah. But she?s completely untouched, you know.?

Han looked up, sharply. ?Who??

?Well, uh, your pretty bird here,? Lando clarified, waving around the cockpit. ?We've all been very careful. Not a scratch.?

LOL![face_laugh] :p

Mara?s rationalization of what Luke had done in mentioning her vibroblade was great too, then double-thinking herself and realizing that he could do that kind if thing, as a Jedi. Nice little touch.=D=

----- By afternoon, Luke finally ran out of even flimsy excuses for not cleaning the droids----
    [face_laugh]

----- Mara arched an eyebrow. ?So your tastes don?t run towards females, Skywalker??-----

Well that?s just a low blow?:oops::p

----- Obviously not in as much mental turmoil as she, Skywalker seemed completely absorbed in his work.------

Oh, if only she knew? o_O

----- True to form, however, his flash of irritation melted away instead of fermenting. He simply seemed to lock her out. Mara put her fork down and took her plate, making a move to get up, but he was faster. ?Allow me.?

He took the plate from her with sudden gallantry and started back to the galley. At the door he paused and grinned over his shoulder. ?That?s not a show either, by the way.?

She slouched behind crossed arms as the annoyance welled up inside her. Blasted Jedi!-----

Heh,heh. Seems like the annoyer became the annoyee there! [face_mischief]

Looking forward to more =D=

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I've only been reading this for about a thousand days, and finally now I can reply! LOL As you know, RL has been exciting and crazy lately for me, but TF.N and all of you guys are still in my heart! [:D]

And what a gem of a story to come back to! I love, love, love these AUs of L/M meeting when they're much younger. I love your characterization of Luke, as always. You can see the love you have for him. I'm really looking forward to more--can you PM me when you update?? :D

18. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Valiowk ? Thank you so much! [:D] I?m thrilled you continue to follow this!

?Why do I get the feeling that Han's mind had jumped to something else entirely? ?What? Did I give you that impression? O:)

?You know, the Emperor's ability to communicate so clearly with his Hands over long distances still disturbs me after all the years I've been an SW fan... ?
    *rasping voice* Good? good?

Might Mara and Shira encounter each other sometime in the future?
    They will.

Interesting personality that Mara has fashioned for herself - it's definitely not going to win her very many friends.
    Remember, she?s not interesting in friends. She?s to inflitrate the Alliance ? but her mission is still Luke, not to spy. And as for Luke, well, she needs his trust ? not his friendship. I imagine Mara to be one to take things very literally ? and never bend her morals more than necessay.[face_plain]

Jade_eyes ? Hi! :D
    Han & Lando scene Just the right tone/balance of awkward mixed with camaraderie
    Thanks! I there are many nuances between those two men, I think, many more than we often get to see!

Mara with Palpy -- wow!!!! You wrote that excellently!!! Mara in EH-mode is always a cool thing to read and write!!!
    I?m glad you thought it worked ? the Emperor?s always hard to write ? at least to me?

The Luke/Leia/Mara scene -- hee! Full of feisty snippyness
    LOL that one I loved to write! Glad you liked too! :)

Jedi_BMK ? Hello! [:D] I?m so glad you enjoyed it!
    Mara's communication with the Emperor was a little creepy, but I've always found Mara in full Emperor's Hand mode to be a little creepy
    Yeah, me too, actually![face_sick]

Interesting exchange between Leia and Mara. It appears Leia went into something like Mama Bear mode, letting Mara know, albeit subtly, that if she did anything to one of her friends, especially Luke, that she would answer to her.
    You know, often Luke is written as being the protective one of the siblings, but I think Leia has plenty of that too. And particularly now, when she doesn?t quite know where to stowe her love for Luke.

I like how Luke and Mara already seem able to throw each other off balance. Very in keeping for them, especially in the early stages of their relationship. Now I wonder just how the two redheads in Luke's life will respond to each other when they meet... And there went a plot bunny hopping by. Thanks a lot.You?re welcome! Promise to PM me when you post it! :D Yes, I think the ability to throw each other off balance would just be immediate between those two ? and that?s probably what I love most about them as a couple![face_love]

"Therefore, it was somehow ironic that it was when she executed this her special skill and the audience was over that she always wanted to weep like a child, like was a part of herself ripped away."

I think she should consider that response a little further. It would tell her something about the real nature of their relationship.

It would indeed! But at this point she still has little to compare with, no matter how experienced she is in other matters.

"However, if he was this committed type that Organa suggested, he might involve himself more deeply than most of her targets, and for some reason that thought made her uneasy. Skywalker was a target that was to be eliminated, and Mara absolutely detested when a target developed deeper feeling towards his nemesis. That had already happened once, and nothing would ever make her forget what she?d felt like afterwards."

Hmm, will we be hearing more about this target as the story goes on? You've got me curious

Uhm, actually no.[face_worried] Unless I work it in much, much later, in part two... [face_thinking] Maybe I?ll do that for you[:D]

Blank ? Hi![face_batting]

you always write Luke and Mara so at odds
    But that?s the fun of it! :D Besides, sometimes I write them muchy

19. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire ? Chapter 7

Smokescreen

Despite her growing exhaustion, Mara forced herself to hang around in the main hold until the rest of the crew arrived. The man called Lando immediately threw himself at her, bombarding her with dangerously personal questions, but she discovered that he was easy to flirt astray when he got too inquisitive. Solo grinned from the sidelines and sprinkled witticisms, but those sharp smuggler?s eyes missed nothing. He sucked up everything she said like a sponge, the same as Organa; when they got around to deciding what to do with their guest, odds were they?d remember practically everything she?d said. Mara frowned. At the moment they didn?t even know she knew them to be Rebels; the probability they?d bring her along to their base wasn?t exactly staggering. If they thought that was where she wanted to go, it would diminish to nil. But surely she could find some way to improve her odds of success without giving away her hand...

So far, no one had suggested dropping her off, but she needed to move their interest from herself in order to buy more time. The closer they got to the Rebel fleet, the better the chance she could hang on all the way. She needed a diversion, a smokescreen big enough to sidetrack all of them. After some consideration, Mara decided on Solo. The Corellian had spent the past months deep frozen in carbonite and an experience like that must evoke emotions; helplessness, isolation, vulnerability - all feelings that couldn?t be the easiest to handle for a space cowboy. It couldn?t take much to push him over the edge.

Mara recalled the scene she?d overheard yesterday, when Solo had insisted to Skywalker that he owed him one now. There had been a vulnerability present that triggered her well-tuned intuition. Something in the balance between the two men had apparently changed, and if she was lucky it hadn?t stabilized yet. Also, Solo kept calling Skywalker ?kid,? an expression that sounded somewhat out of place after the Jedi?s performance at the Pit of Carkoon; the nickname could only be a hangover from their past friendship, before Solo had been cut out of the loop for several months. What other new developments hadn?t the Corellian learned about yet?

Following her hunches, Mara focused again on the Jedi. He was still pottering with his droid and ignored her. Deliberately, no doubt. Her eyes stopped at the glove on Skywalker?s hand. Unless she was seriously mistaken, the Jedi had sustained that injury during his tussle with Vader on Bespin. Solo might not know about it yet...

?Why do you wear that glove?? she asked, just loudly enough for everybody to hear. ?It must be annoying to work with it on.?

The Jedi froze in the middle of a movement, his hand hovering in the air before he lowered it, embarrassed. Solo glanced up, and the Princess did likewise, her look apprehensive. ?I was wondering that myself,? Solo commented. ?Why do you actually wear that thing??

Skywalker shrugged. ?I got a scratch on the barge and it?s not exactly a pretty sight,? he retorted quietly.

Basically anyone would have understood from his clipped tone that he wasn?t keen to discuss the subject. But Han Solo wasn?t anyone; he either took the tiniest hints or he took none. ?You?re hurt? Why haven?t you said anything? Dammit, kid, take that glove off and let?s get it looked at!?

Looking around for support, he finally registered the awkward atmosphere. ?What?? He turned back to Skywalker. ?What?s going on here?? he demanded.

?Nothing special,? Skywalker sighed, ?but? Well, some stuff happened awhile back, things you obviously haven?t heard of yet.? He hesitated for an instant, then pulled his glove off.

There was no doubt that he tried to do it as casually as possible. However, the sudden effect was startling and the burned synthflesh and exposed electronics looked foul in the opened, torn back of the hand.

Solo stared, dumbfounded. ?Who did that to you?? he managed.

Skywalker?s voice was calm. ?I told you, I took a hit at the barge. It?s o

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent update =D= Gets better with each post -- the intensity ramps up -- all the things said and not said and wondered about ;)

You have the relationships/concerns among Leia, Han and Luke perfectly in hand plot/writing wise.

:D

And Mara is magnificent in her "innocent" persona =D= She's not totally pulling the wool but she's not a threat either -- not literally to the Alliance [face_thinking]

Mara doesn't even know the changes that are taking place on the inside not yet [face_dancing]

Luke is working his own peculiar magic

*soft squee* :D

21. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    And before anyone else Mara understood what he was thinking. She had without knowing released a veritable bomb! How lucky could she get? Obviously the truth of one rumor didn?t have to exclude another.

Uh, oh, she's causing even more trouble than she meant. Just how is this going to work out? [face_thinking]

?Hey, she couldn?t know, could she, Chewie? Relax, will you...? Skywalker came up and managed to extract her, but Mara knew with a cold shiver that from now on the Wookiee would keep its eyes on her - and she knew better than to underestimate an alien.

Yes, Chewie needs to watch her before she creates some real problems.

Mara glared at him in disbelief. Again he was standing there ? apologizing! Was he really that over-polite? Who would ever have believed that a diehard dissident guerrilla warrior who?d killed a million Imperial personal with one torpedo would practically fall on his own face in order to be hospitable to someone he didn?t even know?

Perhaps because who he is and who she was told he is are two different things? When and if she starts comparing reality with what she was told, Mara will be in for a rude awakening.

The Wookiee grunted a question and Skywalker translated. ?He asked if you?ve always been a dancer, or if that?s something you?ve picked up??

She looked away. ?I?ve always danced.?

??but once that was only one of the many things you did, wasn?t it?? Lando filled in. He flashed a winning smile. ?We?ve got a lot in common, my dear.! I have a long career behind me as well. I?ve been baron, businessman, smuggler, contractor ?.?

?And what are you now?? Mara interrupted in a rather chilly voice.

Lando extended his arms buoyantly. ?Oh, just a general in the Alliance??

?Lando!"

Looks like Lando got a little too comfortable with their guest and his attempts to impress her. Silly Lando...

?Anything drastic?? Skywalker echoed in bewilderment.

She stared back, now not having to fake her astonishment in the slightest. ?You... aren?t going to silence me??

Skywalker swallowed. ?Mara, you are safe here. No one will harm you. Please take my word for it.?

She stared at him, green eyes wide. She had anticipted he might turn on her ? at the very least she had damn sure expected to be threatened to silence. Instead all she could detect was that blasted earnestness that practically oozed out of his every pore. If Skywalker was faking it, he was the damned best liar she?d ever met, including herself.

He's starting to confuse her now, isn't he? Excellent. That's exactly what needs to happen.

?That?s just it! She?s mysterious, beautiful, forceful, intelligent! She?s carrying the pain from her past with grace and dignity, fighting her way through the slum of the galaxy with no help but her own resourcefulness. I tell you, Luke, I admire that in a woman! She might not be gentle or even friendly but that?s because life has treatened her badly. She has the fire, you can see it in her eyes, she has passion, style, she??

Someone's a little smitten, aren't they. Not that I blame him. ;)

?Ok. He?s afraid that could be the case because he?s upset and thinks that I?ve been hurt because of him. But when he?s not upset anymore he won?t think that anymore, but he will still be afraid of it? Did I get that right??

An affirmative bark.

?Great. Now how the hells are we going to fix that??

A long, deep gurgle.

Luke rolled his eyes. ?Are you jumping on the Shira bandwagon too? Sure, I like her. But she?s not the solution to this problem at all.?

That's true. She's probably the source of more problems at a later date instead.

I like how Mara got what she wanted while essentially being herself. In an odd way, it's good that she's not using a complete cover story that that if (or when, I'm betting when) they figure out who she really is. I love how Lando is taken with her while Luke is intrigued and everyone else is a bit wary. It just works. I also like how Han was the one questioning her and her answers were so much like ones he would have give

22. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

-----?He sees what?? Calrissian was one big question mark.-----

Great phrase [face_peace]

-----?Speaking about redheads, what do you think of Mara??
    -----A counter question.
    -----Luke blushed. ?No! I mean her story! Are you buying it? Please, Chewie!?

Heh,heh,heh [face_laugh] :p How to make a farmboy blush...[face_blush]

-----On the other hand, she?s at least not trying to ingratiate herself? That?s a good sign, right??
    -----Bark.
    -----?Well, maybe it?s just me??

LOL! :p [face_peace]

-----Mara glared at the shining metal limbs of the droid. ?And what would you know about dancing??
    -----Threepio, despite having no facial mobility, glowed. ?I?m so glad you ask that, Miss Mara! You see, in many cultures dancing is a language of its own. And as you probably don?t know, I am fluent in over six million forms of communication and??
    -----Luke fought desperately to bite back his laughter. Mara Jade was a handful, that much was certain, but against Threepio?s persistence even her abrasive edge dulled helplessly. She could scowl until her face froze - he?d never get the message. Over at the game table Han stifled a snicker; Luke didn?t dare glance at him, because if he did they?d probably both collapse laughing.

Great little moment - I can just imagine it [face_mischief] It palyed out perfect in my head :)

So many nice little moments this week! The interactions between everyone felt spot-on, and every time Mara spoke out I was :oops:-ing!

Nice that sharp old Chewie was watching so closely though:) I liked that it was him who called Mara in the end. And Lando's usual gushing when within ten feet of a beautiful woman was excellent :D I swear, he has some kind of internal radar.

More soon!! =D=

23. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009

It was rather unexpected - I never thought how Han would deal with everything happened in his absence. Interesting.

Looks like it's a start. She doesn't know what to think of him. ;)

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] It's so... Luke!)))

Great job. :)

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Wonderful update - it was definitely worth the wait! :)

I'd never thought about this issue before prior to reaidng this post, but it's definitely true that Han would have many things to catch up on after being freed from carbonite. He must feel extremely lost at times, not being up-to-date with the latest events, and I wonder how long it'll take him before he feels that he's caught up with them.

It's just too cute that Mara meets her match in such a way. :p

How strange, yet appropriate, that Mara is achieving her goals while remaining mostly herself. At the very least, it'll make it easier for the others to forgive (?) her when they discover her identity, if they realise that she hasn't been explicitly lying to them, just omitting facts here and there, for the most part.

I doubt anybody except Anakin was ever able to handle C-3P0... ;) I wonder how Mara would react if she finds out that 3P0 is Darth Vader's droid... :D

Yup, that's exactly what Han Solo said at the beginning. And look where he is now... :p

And oh, Lando in the presence of a beautiful woman... :oops:

Looking forward to seeing what happens when Mara meets Shira! Why do I get the feeling that both

25. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jade_eyes
    Congratulations with your wins on Beyond! =D= [:D] =D=

Gets better with each post -- the intensity ramps up -- all the things said and not said and wondered about Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! That's exactly how I hoped it would work!

And Mara is magnificent in her "innocent" persona She's not totally pulling the wool but she's not a threat either -- not literally to the Alliance
    I kept thinking for along time how Luke would react on her since he should after all be sensitive enough in the Force to sense some threat! Then I realized that as long as the threat would be on him personally - as it would in this case - then he would just choose to ignore it. His personalty really gave me the plot here ;)

Thanks for your steadfast encouragement! [:D]

Jedi_BMK
    Mara glared at him in disbelief. Again he was standing there ? apologizing! Was he really that over-polite? Who would ever have believed that a diehard dissident guerrilla warrior who?d killed a million Imperial personal with one torpedo would practically fall on his own face in order to be hospitable to someone he didn?t even know?

Perhaps because who he is and who she was told he is are two different things? When and if she starts comparing reality with what she was told, Mara will be in for a rude awakening.

She certainly will. Slow, but rude!

Looks like Lando got a little too comfortable with their guest and his attempts to impress her. Silly Lando...
    Hey, everyone has a weakness :p

(Luke)'s starting to confuse her now, isn't he? Excellent. That's exactly what needs to happen.
    [face_devil]

"Luke rolled his eyes. ?Are you jumping on the Shira bandwagon too? Sure, I like her. But she?s not the solution to this problem at all.?
    That's true. She's probably the source of more problems at a later date instead.
    :eek: How did you guess? [face_batting]

I like how Mara got what she wanted while essentially being herself. In an odd way, it's good that she's not using a complete cover story that that if (or when, I'm betting when) they figure out who she really is.
    I think Mara was an excellent spy and assassin but I also think she was one big weakness -she's basically an honest person, which means that she'd always keep her lies to a minimum. And of course that will also make her open/vulnerable to uncomfortable truths too...

I love how Lando is taken with her while Luke is intrigued and everyone else is a bit wary. It just works. I also like how Han was the one questioning her and her answers were so much like ones he would have given at one point. In some ways, she is a female version of Han (or at least I think so).
    I absolutely agree! Mara and Han are very much alike - which is why they fit nicely with a Skywalker each! And I'm glad you think the interaction work! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when they get back to the fleet.
    Yup, next chapter. [face_mischief]

blank101
    Congratulations on your nominations and wins in Best Female Character and Best Male Character on Beyond!! [:D] [:D] =D=

Heh,heh,heh How to make a farmboy blush...
    It's not that hard, is it? But I gotta admit I love it every time! :D

Great little moment - I can just imagine it It palyed out perfect in my head Glad you liked! Threepeo can be hard to write - the only reason why they haven't killed him off in EU yet must be the lack of drama - it would rise no angry protest of death threats...8-} On the other hand,[face_thinking] when he's fun he's really fun!

So many nice little moments this week! The interactions between everyone felt spot-on, every time Mara spoke out I was :oops: -ing!
    LOL Thank you! :)

Nice that sharp old Chewie was watching so closely though I liked that it was him who called Mara in t