main
side
curve

Saga Quagmire (AU, L/M others around ROTJ) Part 1 completed 29th. September

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kataja, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Poor Mara! The scene with Deena cracked me up. She can't get away! :D

Great updates! I particularly loved Mara's ruminations on Luke--I love that she is always interested in him. He is just so different from anyone she has known.

I always enjoy slipping into your AU, gal. Thanks for the PMs! [:D]

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Jade_eyes [:D]
    Mara's defenses are crumbling despite herself around Luke She is touched by his loyalty and shrinks from him calling her honest ...
    She can't but admire those things when she ses them. [face_mischief]

I love that about Luke that he doesn't want to flit from lady to lady like some crazed insect seeking nectar.
    You know, I make Luke pretty shy in this story, though I can easily imagine him the opposite too. And even here he will, um, [face_shhh] I won't say what, but 'flit' around ?never!

There should be something besides ignore them or marry them LOL like a romance like Han has and Wedge will get tired of the batching life when he meets the right lady I have no doubt.
    Even in my story he will. ;) But there?s a loooooot writing before that. And I'm afraid it wont get much focus. [face_plain]

Deena is rather ... talkative, which can be annoying or fun depending on the mood.
    Talkative? [face_batting] Yes, I think that covers it pretty well. :p

Jedi_BMK :D
    Staying away from dressed in black all the time, cocky Jedi, are we? Good. Very, very good. That version of Luke can test my sanity.
    That makes two of us. Though I used it once as dialogue-bunny [face_whistling]

I see bad things happening in the future. Bad things are going to happen, aren't they?Always in motion is the future?. But.. yes.[face_batting]

Wes claimed that Mara was twice as red haired, twice as green eyed, and twice as stuck-up as Shira.?

Mara's only twice what Shira is? Wes is going to get killed if Mara ever hears that.

You?re probably right. Good thing that Luke & Wedge are best pals and can keep a secret. ;)

?Your own mission?? He lifted a quirky eyebrow. ?Since when did you get suicidal??

Since he got pulled onto the first Death Star by a tractor beam?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Excellent point! [:D]

Well. It could be worse.

Whenever I see that line, I prepare for it to get worse.

[face_devil]

Nice interactions all around. Good to see Mara getting in some way closer to some others. It could make all the difference later.
    Mmm?;)

Also looking forward to all of these missions that are getting planned in the background. Keep up the good work!
    They will come to the foreground, eventually ? just give me time?:-B

JediMara77 :)
    Love Luke's danger sense and reaction to Shira. I can't wait to see what happens there!
    Oh, will happen, definitely will happen. But you?ll have to read if you want to know what!:D

Also love the interactions between Luke and Wedge. They are BFFs forever!
    At least as long as I can have a say to it!

Piper057 :)
    The overfriendly persons like Deena can be VERY annoying, especially if you're not in the best mood. How can someone you know about 5 minutes tell you the whole story of his/her life?
    Ah, I?ve met a few of her type too ? and yes, they can be very, annoying.o_O Especially to someone like Mara who?s completely the opposite. But Deena has more in her ? and opposites can be a good thing. But I suppose that the Deena?s an either-or person. Either you love her or you hate her.

Mara's reflections and Luke/Wedge interactions are wonderful. Looking forward to more.))
    Thanks!!! :) Upcoming

blank Hi!:D

----- In fact, everything lacked enormously in the Alliance. Stubb had told her that there was a shortage of everything in turns; mechs, ships and pilots. Not because there were too few, really, but because everything came in bursts; usually there was a lack of ships and pilots, but since there recently had been a huge boost on that front, there now was a shortage of mechanics.-----

You know I just love this kind of detail Background stuff like this make stories come alive, for me. I don't think it's ever sup

3. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire ? Chapter 11

Concerns, Commitments and Containers

It wasn?t exactly ideal to contact her Master from a cubicle in a crowded cabin, but as a junior techie aboard an Alliance ship pressed for space she had few options. At least her bunk could be sealed into a private cubicle. Mara couldn?t kneel on the bunk, the ceiling was too low for that, but she did her best, crumbling on her knees in the cramped compartment, back bent, giving her first report to the Emperor as well as she could muster.

Afterwards, she rolled on to her back, laying there for a long time. She digested and dismantled the feeling of loss, so familiar by now, overcoming her as it did every time her Master broke their telepathic contact. Here behind enemy lines, the emptiness that followed felt so much more palpable but Mara didn?t know what repelled her more; that hollow feeling ? or the constant buzz of people around her. Since she?d left the Millennium Falcon she hadn?t been alone in a room bigger than a ?fresher ? and after two weeks under those circumstances, it was starting to get to her.

It?s just another environment, she reminded herself sternly. You?ve adapted before, you can do it again. During her training she had spent plenty of time under worse conditions. She had experience of hiding in a bush for three days, surrounded by enemies that would kill her at slightest sound or motion, she had worked in teams proceeding through jungles and swamps, she had learned to mingle in like a local in the most repelling neighborhoods?

But on those missions she had always had a deadline, or at least a clear purpose - some goal to strive for. In this mission, she was slowly becoming aware that she had neither. After this latest briefing with her Master, it was evident that the elimination of Skywalker wasn?t exactly just around the corner. Mara couldn?t hold back a nasty suspicion that she had managed to position herself too handily, into a post where she could be kept under wraps against the possibility that need would arise for her particular abilities. That was new to Mara. She had already lined up a dozen different tasks she could undertake in her current situation, but her orders were clear, indisputable. Wait. Stay low. Be prepared.

Mara gritted her teeth. Well, she would do just that. And she would collect information. Surely her Master wouldn?t object to that...

Bracing herself, she pushed open her cubicle. Five surprised faces spun towards her. No wonder the cabin had felt particularly crowded today; her three cabin mates had invited visitors.

?Whoa, Mara, you gave us a shock there!? Niliya, the oldest of her cabin mates, cried out. ?We were so sure you were on shift! How?d you sleep so long? We?ve been playing sabacc for ages here!?

?Yeah,? one of the visitors, a female Zabrak, agreed with an awkward laugh. ?And we haven?t been particularly quiet either.? They exchanged glances and Mara knew they were wondering whether she had heard her name crop up in their discussion.

In fact she had, and the fact that they had called her ?weird?, ?insular? and ?abrasive? didn?t bother Mara one bit. People?s dislike most often was based on their own insecurity; their opinions could be changed in the blink of an eye by a blunt admission that you?d been wrong and some concentrated wheedling. And at any time she preferred condensed wheedling for a clear purpose than pointless and tiring socializing with people she dismissed anyway.

She put on her best and most innocent smile, rubbing her eyes. ?I think I woke up a few times the last hour, but then just fell asleep again. I swear, I?ve not been such a sound sleeper in all my life. I guess I?m still getting used to this place.?

?You?re working too hard, you should take some time off once in a while.? Niliya glanced at the others, suddenly dithering. ?Uh, would you like to join our game, perhaps?? A few of the girls shot her reproaching glances but others nodded in ginger sincerity, still prepared to give Mara the benefit of

4. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    The turbolift opened and they started down the passageway to the main hangar. ?What about the Great Cause?? Mara inquired. ?Isn?t that what all you Rebels are so keen on??

The other woman laughed. ?It was the Empire that made smuggling good business. I was a good smuggler, but it?s not like I always dreamed of being outside the law. I don?t believe in the Great Cause, it?s the people here I stay for. When that?s said, of course I hope that under a different government I could run a legal trade instead of getting my hands dirty. You know how it is, one does what one have to in order to survive.?

A less idealistic, but probably no less true, view of the Rebellion. I like it!

?There?s this guy called Car?das. They say he?s retiring now, but he has a Chief Lieutenant, Talon Karrde who?s supposed to be of the same mould. Unfortunately, I don?t know that much. Only that they keep away from slaves and spice and focus on selling intelligence a lot.?

Mara nodded thougtfully. ?Smart. Especially if they?re going to do business with the Alliance. Do you think that?s their motivation??

Dantels shook her head. ?The Alliance already has its sources, and Car?das and Karrde are trying to be strictly neutral. No, I think it really is a question of morals.?

Does this mean we get to see Karrde later? [face_praying]

And as things had developed, Luke knew with a sting of disappointment that whatever he?d be, he?d never be anything like Han. He would never be the cool guy but the weird. Never be the smart but the obscure one, never be admired for saving the day but always be requested to do more because he had those strange powers so surely it wasn?t too much to ask? No, his path had taken him into a completely different direction. Did Han know how much Luke still looked up to him, still admired him at heart?

Well, that's not a fun position to be in. Though I'd be hard pressed to say that Luke isn't smart even if he doesn't seem to think so.

A bit baffled, Mara shuffled the spanner out of sight. ?Uh, no.? Suddenly realizing what she was almost about to agree to, she hurried to add, ?But my shift isn?t over yet. I still have an hour to go.?

?That?s odd,? Deena frowned. ?I just asked the DO and he told me you were half an hour overtime already.?

[face_laugh] Well, that excuse didn't do her much good, did it?

Slowly getting closer and closer to the big battle. Keep up the good work.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey kataja. :) Love this story!

Mentions of Car'das and Karrde FTW!!!

Morals? In smuggling? Well, why not? After all, she?d been forced to admit that Rebels had them, after a fashion.

Nice to see Mara's opinions starting to shift. This fits in very well with what we know of the canon--that Mara just basically followed orders and never really knew why she was doing what she was ordered to do.

I love that both Han and Luke admire and want to be like each other for completely different reasons. :)

So Luke once again puts off going back to Yoda...I just how that is going to affect the Endor mission. I hope Yoda doesn't die before Luke gets to go back! :(

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh lovely Leia/Luke scene.

=D=

So warm and insightful about Han and the needing of time. [face_thinking]

Mara's gathering Intel very competently :D Nilya's sneaky isn't she? :p

Deena and Nera have been great for info and getting her into places she'd not ordinarily be able to.

Han volunteering and Luke being softly coereced/convinced to go on that vital mission ;)

I can definitely see why Luke wouldn't feel "ready"

7. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    As always, an awesome chapter, kataja! [face_dancing]

Indeed, I believe that many who joined the Rebel Alliance did so because they were acquainted with somebody there, and what started off as a favour for a friend with some noble intentions in mind turned into much more as they formed bonds with others in the Alliance. Nice insight into the Alliance here!

Ah, so Leia's definitely not the only person who doesn't have a good feeling about Shira Brie. I wonder how Mara is going to find out more about Shira, though - the people who don't have a good feeling about Shira are the ones who are too polite to share their doubts about her behind her back, while those in Shira's circle of friends aren't going to be the most useful source of information...

Love the sibling interaction here - the image of Leia sitting down next to Luke is simply lovely!

Oh, Han... I think Leia just wants you to be yourself. :p

Interesting interaction between Mara and Deena here. I think Mara will eventually warm to Deena, but it might take some time. Wonder if the plastifoam will be significant in future chapters? :confused:

And oh, the pressure on Luke keeps building. I wonder if postponing the trip he intended to make will have unforeseen consequences for Luke later on...

Looking forward to seeing what happens next - there seem to be quite a few interesting plot lines here! :)

8. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Hey Kataja :D

Interesting chapter, with more than a few relevant hints scatered in amongst it, I suspect ;)

-----Here behind enemy lines, the emptiness that followed felt so much more palpable but Mara didn?t know what repelled her more; that hollow feeling ? or the constant buzz of people around her. Since she?d left the Millennium Falcon she hadn?t been alone in a room bigger than a ?fresher ? and after two weeks under those circumstances, it was starting to get to her.-----

That?s a great feeling to point out, and a subtle one to pull out of the hat =D= I absolutely empathized.

-----She almost jumped and twisted about, hydrospanner ready to strike. Deena Shan stood behind her, smiling expectantly. ?Have you eaten??
    A bit baffled, Mara shuffled the spanner out of sight.-----

Heh could just see that scene :p

-----?[Han] can be such a nerf sometimes.?
    ?Sometimes?? Luke tilted an eyebrow at her. ?More like mosttimes. But he carries it with style, don?t you think??-----

Made me LOL! [face_laugh]

The Luke/Leia scene was very sweet and well-observed, with a gentle ease that was very credible. Luke also seems to be settling more, and coming to terms with Bespin.

I also really liked how you?ve got Luke wanting to be more like Han, at the same time as Han?s actually wanting to be more like Luke?

-----?General Madine. About my assignment to lead Operation Sheep Skin, sir...?-----

Hmmm?do I detect an old proverb in that name[face_thinking] [face_batting]

Nice, too, that Luke slowly got persuaded to go on the mission, despite his intentions. It?s totally in character for him that, no matter what his personal goals, he could be persuaded to put them aside for what seemed the greater good [face_thinking]

Looking forward to more [face_peace]

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I am so enjoying your AU. It's so rare we get a story from this time period and yours is so full of good stuff!

Well done! =D=

10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jedi_BMK
    A less idealistic, but probably no less true, view of the Rebellion. I like it!
    Thanks. I imagine that Nera, being a smuggler, would never have come for ideals ? but she would not have stayed unless she'd found something valuable, somehting she couldn't find elsewhere.

Does this mean we get to see Karrde later?
    There will be a great many chapters first - but yes. :)

Though I'd be hard pressed to say that Luke isn't smart even if he doesn't seem to think so.
    Me neither - but he?s always been hard on himself. [face_plain]

Slowly getting closer and closer to the big battle. Keep up the good work.
    Slowly, slowly but yes. Hang on! Things will start happeing soon;)

JediMara77
    Love this story!
    Aww, thanks! :D

Nice to see Mara's opinions starting to shift. This fits in very well with what we know of the canon--that Mara just basically followed orders and never really knew why she was doing what she was ordered to do.
    Thanks. While this is AU I try to keep the characters as close to canon as possible - and I agree; Mara follows orders - and the things she hasn't been aware of about the Empire s are now her weakness.

I love that both Han and Luke admire and want to be like each other for completely different reasons.
    I think that?s why they?re so great friends ;)

So Luke once again puts off going back to Yoda...I just how that is going to affect the Endor mission. I hope Yoda doesn't die before Luke gets to go back!
    You're not the first to voice that fear... [face_devil]

Jade_eyes
    Oh lovely Leia/Luke scene.
    Thanks! :) They interact far too little I think ? so I?m very glad if you think it?s good when it it there! [face_batting]

So warm and insightful about Han and the needing of time.
    Han has more needs than he?s ever allowed himself to realize ? but that?s about to change... [face_mischief]

I can definitely see why Luke wouldn't feel "ready"

Yeah ? poor guy! :(

Valiowk
    As always, an awesome chapter, kataja!
    Thank you! :D

I believe that many who joined the Rebel Alliance did so because they were acquainted with somebody there, and what started off as a favour for a friend with some noble intentions in mind turned into much more as they formed bonds with others in the Alliance. Nice insight into the Alliance here!
    It?s said that nowhere do you form so close friendships as you do in war ? and with most rebels being ethically driven when joining, I imagine it would be a particularly wonderful basis for close bondings.

Ah, so Leia's definitely not the only person who doesn't have a good feeling about Shira Brie. I wonder how Mara is going to find out more about Shira, though - the people who don't have a good feeling about Shira are the ones who are too polite to share their doubts about her behind her back, while those in Shira's circle of friends aren't going to be the most useful source of information...
    So very true! Which leaves only the third alternative? ;)

Love the sibling interaction here - the image of Leia sitting down next to Luke is simply lovely!
    Thanks! I wanted their interaction to flow naturally ? glad it works! :)

I think Mara will eventually warm to Deena, but it might take some time. Wonder if the plastifoam will be significant in future chapters?
    Uhm, yes ? and yes.

I wonder if postponing the trip he intended to make will have unforeseen consequences for Luke later on...
    ? and yes? :D

Blank

Interesting chapter, with more than a few relevant hints scatered in amongst it, I suspect
    You think? O:)

-----Here behind enemy lines, the emptiness that followed felt so much more palpable but Mara didn?t know what repelled her more; that hollow feeling ? or the constant buzz of people around her. Since she?d left the Millennium Falcon s

11. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Moar please! I was hoping all day at work that there might be something new to read tonight! :D

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    SauntaeroAww, you're sweet! Sorry! LOL Here comes;)
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Quagmire - Chapter 12

Confidential Conversations

[i]?Luke!?

?No. Go away. This time I know I?m sleeping. Leave me alone.?

?Luke!?

?Go away!?

?Son. Why are you rejecting me??[/i]

The pain jolted through him again, but this time it wasn?t a searing agony in his right wrist, nor the throb from the countless beatings and bruises he?d got in the battle. Neither was it the torment of a thousand knives that had pierced his soul at Vader?s words. In fact, this wasn?t his pain at all. So whose was it?

Vader?s?

Did the Dark Lord of the Sith feel pain? Agony at Luke?s rejection, at his choice? But wouldn?t that mean Vader had feelings? Was that even possible?

Of course it?s possible, moron ? anything is possible in a dream! Temporarily relieved from this disquieting new question, Luke turned in his sleep, his dream taking a different, calmer turn for a short solace in the early hours of morning...

?Have you talked to Luke lately??

Leia stopped dead at the question, then caught herself and tried to continue the re-organizing of her datashelf like she hadn?t. Meeting Han?s glance she realized he?d already seen her confusion, so she sighed and stopped again.

?Only once, for maybe fifteen minutes,? she admitted, wincing in self-disgust. ?We?ve both been so busy lately.? In fact, now that she thought about it, all they?d talked about had been Han. Ever since Bespin she?d been vowing to herself that she?d sit Luke down and have a good long discussion with him about his problems, and instead here she was, still leaning on him like a sort of emotional crutch. She shoved the next datapad into a random shelf with frustrated force.

Han nodded and looked to his boots. ?I?m worried about him.?

?Ah.? Leia gave up on the shelf and stepped to the bunk to sit down beside him. For a moment she sat still, hands in her lap, considering. ?I know what you mean,? she said at last. ?I?ve been worried for quite a while too?Yet?? She pushed a stray strand of hair from her face.

?Yet what?? Han took her hand and started to play with her fingers.

Leia considered her answer. ?Something happened to Luke at Bespin,? she finally stated. ?Something more profound than losing his hand. I asked him about his hand some time ago, how he felt about it. He looked almost surprised and told me that he?d actually stopped thinking of it as a prosthetic. I don?t think it ever bothered him that much. For stars? sake, he hadn?t had the replacement for a week before he and Hobbie were regaling the whole mess with all the benefits of prosthetics.?

Han?s face lit up in a wicked grin. ?Heard ?em at it the other day. Hobbie mentioned he?s planning to upgrade his with a vibrator function ? ? He broke off at Leia?s disapproving glare and sobered with considerable effort. ?Uhm, yeah? Well. But joking can hide a lot.?

?True.? Leia let the detour pass and instead watched Han?s fingers playing with her own. ?But Han, I know Luke. Ever since he set foot in the Alliance he?s been prepared to pay the price. He?s lived with danger for so long already. None of us really believe we will come out of this without scars, do we??

Han blinked. He had never thought of himself as anything but untouchable. Or Chewie. Or Luke. Or Leia. His grip on her hand tightened.

At least, he corrected himself, he never had before Bespin. That blast of freezing carbonite had felt almost like becoming? impotent. For a moment Han felt a cold shiver down his spine, then he dismissed it as completely devoid of any anchor in reality. He loosened his grip on Leia?s hand and went back determinedly to teasing her fingers. ?So, what?s bothering him then??

?I don?t know,? Leia sighed. ?And he won?t tell. Whatever it is, he isn?t ready to talk about it yet.?

?So we should let him handle it all by himself?? Han growled, his hands

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi:

Whew! This chapter was packed with goodies!!!!!

The dream first -- wow! Lots for Luke to mull over.

The H/L conversation -- love the tone you give to their relationship: confiding, teasing, passionate by turns. [face_dancing]

Their common concern, caring, and respect for Luke is strongly detailed. :)
    Woo!!!!!!!! ;) Loved Leia's rant about Shira. LOL

The Deena/Mara chat: [face_mischief] and =D= So Deena has gotten further with Luke than Shira huh, at least physically, but he hasn't fallen yet ... yay! :D Loved Mara's reactions to everything and her skill at getting information and being "innocent" about it.

So Wedge and Deena have something to talk about ... [face_thinking] o_O

And Luke and Mara are going to a Rogue hang out -- you know what that is going to do to the rumor mill.

Hee!!!!

He really need to "accidentally" kiss her and feel bigger sparks than he ever did with Shira [face_laugh]

Huggles for a great all around chapter.

14. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Leia stopped dead at the question, then caught herself and tried to continue the re-organizing of her datashelf like she hadn?t. Meeting Han?s glance she realized he?d already seen her confusion, so she sighed and stopped again.

?Only once, for maybe fifteen minutes,? she admitted, wincing in self-disgust.

Leia! Talk to your brother like a good sister! :p ;)

Leia stiffened. ?I mean Shira Brie,? she corrected him, ?and I?d call her a bicce rather than a fox.?

Yes, yes, to Leia you listen!!!

I love it when Luke is in charge. :D

Mara + Deena = Hilarity!!!

It occurred to her that she?d never had a friend before.

This makes me really sad. :(

Deena started to laugh. ?Well, that?s a way to put it, yeah. I was his first, to be precise.?

And a million women just grew incredible jealous of Deena, LOL! It's a good thing that she's so nice although I'd want to pop her one right now. :D

No, she had to find something that actually could be of use to her ? and Skywalker?s accomplishments as a lover surely weren?t that.

Oh, Mara. Dear, dear Mara. You have no idea.

?Agree on what? That Jedi are not to be trusted? You know, I have really no idea.? Mara shrugged. ?I?ve never met one before I met Skywalker.

The irony! It burns! :D

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Brilliant as always, kataja! Thanks!

16. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    A thousand questions burned on the tip of her tongue but she couldn?t make herself ask a single one of them, so titillated and prying did they seem to her. No, she had to find something that actually could be of use to her ? and Skywalker?s accomplishments as a lover surely weren?t that.

Hmmm... I really would like to know what questions she had. :D

Great chapter! I love the way Leia explained her suspicions about Shira and Wedge's subtlety. [face_laugh]

17. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    ?Luke!?

?Luke!?

?Go away!?

?Son. Why are you rejecting me??

Vader's actually talking to Luke, isn't he? [face_worried] So many ways for this to go badly.

Han?s face lit up in a wicked grin. ?Heard ?em at it the other day. Hobbie mentioned he?s planning to upgrade his with a vibrator function ? ? He broke off at Leia?s disapproving glare and sobered with considerable effort. ?Uhm, yeah? Well. But joking can hide a lot.?

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

?I mean Shira Brie,? she corrected him, ?and I?d call her a bicce rather than a fox.?

?Hnh?? Han jumped, for he had never in his wildest fantasies thought that Leia would know such a word in Huttese.

I'll assume that translates into Huttese roughly what is appears to sound like. ;)

With an surge of foreboding, almost like was she about to alert Darth Vader in the middle of his night cycle, Mara lifted her hand and buzzed on Deena?s doorcom.

[face_laugh] That comparison is hilarious. Mara really doesn't know how to have friends, does she?

Mara found herself both repelled and utterly fascinated by Deena?s revelation. A thousand questions burned on the tip of her tongue but she couldn?t make herself ask a single one of them, so titillated and prying did they seem to her. No, she had to find something that actually could be of use to her ? and Skywalker?s accomplishments as a lover surely weren?t that.

I don't know. That could be of use to her down the line. [face_devil]

?Agree on what? That Jedi are not to be trusted? You know, I have really no idea.? Mara shrugged. ?I?ve never met one before I met Skywalker. I?ve heard a lot, of course, but that covers claims about everything from them being half-gods to super-villains so that?s not much help. But I think Skywalker is well? loyal. Trustworthy.? She shrugged again, discomforted by her own words. ?I think it?s like you said; that he?s honestly trying to do what he thinks is right, and to hurt as few as possible in the process.?

That just seems completely honest and accurate. Mara may be trolling for information, but I think she's letting more of herself out there than she realizes.

18. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Lots of goodies in this chapter indeed! [face_dancing]

The interaction between Han and Leia here is just too cute. :) I love the way you manage to make the interaction between Han and Leia fluffy, yet also serious.

Oh, it's indeed difficult to explain what it is exactly that bothers you unless the person you're talking to already has a similar feeling. I can't blame Han for being confused at what about Shira is so annoying Leia, yet at the same time I hope that Leia will find somebody who understands her concerns about Shira soon.

No, Luke doesn't know, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if he were to find out just how intense a bad feeling his sister has about Shira... :rolleyes:

Oh, you never know what could be useful in future, Mara. [face_devil] ;)

Loved your choice of word here. My first thought was the same as Mara's - was Deena actually suspicious that Mara was more than she appeared to be? - even though I found the choice of word a bit strange initially, so as I continued reading the paragraph the twist you put later on seemed just perfect.

Good to see Mara finally forming a friendship. It'll definitely make life more pleasant, not just easier for her later on.

This looks like the perfect opp

19. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Great pair of updates!! =D= I loved H/L's conversation but am looking forward to L/M's more. hee. Soon, I hope! :D

20. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Leia and Han talking about Luke was a lovely scene, the emotions and actions of which rang very true. I loved the way that Han played with Leia?s fingers throughout, and that you used this to convey his emotions. :)

?The most common small groups transport, actually,? Luke replied dryly. ?And the reason we can?t sneak onboard the nearest Star Destroyer is that in that case we would need other Imperial transports just in order to come onboard. We also need uniforms, ID?s, clearance codes, covers; all stuff that?s now being prepared. Plus we?d find ourselves in serious trouble the moment we want to leave since a SD can outrun a Lambda without trying.?

Really good train of logic there. I hate it when things like this aren?t covered (you probably know). It's important to the general believability, to think the Alliance have all the angles covered [face_frustrated]

?Ok, ok, I get the point.? Shira rolled her eyes. ?But admit that the way you laid it out invited to make fun.?
    ?Duly admitted,? Luke smiled, as usual pulled in by Shira?s high spirits. ?Happy now??

Man, Luke caves way too quick with Shira? [face_shame_on_you] but okay, I knew, he would.o_O

?Right,? Luke began again, activating his datapad. ?Let?s hope you?re all still laughing when I?m through drilling you on the specifics...?

Hee, hee. You tell 'em Luke! [face_peace]

Mara sat down gingerly and tried to scrutinize the food without being too obvious. ?Yes? Well, this is nice,? she groped. ?Candles and all.?

Heh, very Mara. And poor Mara, too! o_O

Girl talk. This was what no Imperial Special Operations training program in the galaxy could teach.

Dum-dum-dum-DUM! :eek: ;)

Deena started to laugh. ?Well, that?s a way to put it, yeah. I was his first, to be precise.? She lifted her chin almost proudly. ?It took some work too. Luke?s so darned shy when it comes to matters like that, but finally I got him to understand that I wasn?t after him because he was the Hero from Yavin but because I liked him! We?d been through some adventures together already and he had been so sweet to me all the time when I was feeling like a nobody so I though I should sort of repay him ? after all it was near a scandal that a hero like him could go on being a virgin, just think if it had come out! ? so one evening I simply put myself in a situation where he couldn?t say no.?

Oh my god, you made me LOL, Kataja ? with my hand over my mouth in horror for Luke, being talked about! :eek: :p

?Sorry. I didn?t mean to? I just??

?It?s fine, ? Mara assured, surprised how well she understood the other girl, and how much her protective reaction had lifted Mara?s opinion of her. ?He?s your friend.?

Nice touch - it did the same for me, of Deena, too.

?Yeah. Always,? Wedge agreed. ?But hey, maybe I could help you choose another dress or something?? He nodded at Luke and Mara. ?Why don?t you two go ahead? We?ll catch up.?
    Mara rose her eyebrows and Luke winced. Wedge was an amazing friend and the best pilot he?d ever met ? but his subtlety left a great deal to be desired.
    Wedge growled, ?Ok, ok. I have something I need to talk with Deena about, so why don?t you two just bugger off??
    ?Something to talk about?? Luke repeated innocently, trying to pick up the pieces. ?Why didn?t you tell me??
    ?Because it?s about your birthday party, moron,? Wedge barked. ?Now, bugger off!?

This whole bit just made me laugh so much! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] it was funny and wince-inducing at the same time ? and great dialogue, Kataja![face_peace]

Luke looked at Mara who shrugged and followed him out of the cabin. When the hatch had closed behind them she gave him a wry glance. ?I suppose we weren?t supposed to know what that was about.?
    ?Could seem that way,? Luke replied, retaining his sabacc-face. ?Well, I?m not going to dig deeper.?
    ?Me neither,? Mara agreed. She waited a mo

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jade_eyes
    This chapter was packed with goodies!!!!!
    LOL Glad you liked!:)

The dream first -- wow! Lots for Luke to mull over.
    There certainly is. I could have filled this entire story with his mulling ? and I sort of did ;) but frodo has convinced me to cut heavily down on it.

The H/L conversation -- love the tone you give to their relationship: confiding, teasing, passionate by turns.
    H&L was one of the initial reasons I loved ESB when it came, but I?ve been surprised I find them pretty hard to write. Glad if my initial feelings shine through, though. They are in such a delicate phase of their relationship, those first, golden weeks? aahh? *remembers* [face_blush]

Their common concern, caring, and respect for Luke is strongly detailed.
    He?s one of their things that bounds them together. The love-tirangle continues ? only a bit different. [face_batting]

The Deena/Mara chat: and So Deena has gotten further with Luke than Shira huh
    Oh, Deena can be a woman of action, do no mistakes? ;)

And Luke and Mara are going to a Rogue hang out -- you know what that is going to do to the rumor mill.
    Ah, but guess who?s there as well? [face_skull]

He really need to "accidentally" kiss her and feel bigger sparks than he ever did with Shira
    But he hasn?t kissed Shira either!?!? [face_batting]

JediMara77

?Only once, for maybe fifteen minutes,? she admitted, wincing in self-disgust.

Leia! Talk to your brother like a good sister! :p

Heh, they take each other a bit for granted already, don?t they?[face_laugh]

I love it when Luke is in charge.
    That makes two of us then. *squee!*[face_love]

Mara + Deena = Hilarity!!!
    Yay, I?m glad you like, I love writing them![:D]

It occurred to her that she?d never had a friend before.
    This makes me really sad.
    She?s really a sad, sad story, isn?t she? And the worst thing is that she?s slowly, very slowly starting tp understand that herself.

Deena started to laugh. ?Well, that?s a way to put it, yeah. I was his first, to be precise.?

And a million women just grew incredible jealous of Deena, LOL! It's a good thing that she's so nice although I'd want to pop her one right now.
    Two os us again. ;) But he slipped through her fingers, he did.

No, she had to find something that actually could be of use to her ? and Skywalker?s accomplishments as a lover surely weren?t that.

Oh, Mara. Dear, dear Mara. You have no idea.

She tries to be so rational and professional, doesn't she? If she?d listen to her insticts things would be different. But then this story would have been different too.[face_mischief]

Sauntaero
    Brilliant as always, kataja! Thanks!
    Aww, glad you liked!:)

Piper057
    A thousand questions burned on the tip of her tongue but she couldn?t make herself ask a single one of them, so titillated and prying did they seem to her. No, she had to find something that actually could be of use to her ? and Skywalker?s accomplishments as a lover surely weren?t that.

Hmmm... I really would like to know what questions she had.

I wrote a few down but had to cut it away ? the chapter just grew too long?:p

Jedi_BMK
    ?Luke!?

?Luke!?

?Go away!?

?Son. Why are you rejecting me??

Vader's actually talking to Luke, isn't he? So many ways for this to go badly.
    Yes. And I wrote this before that 30-celeb clip came out (don?t know if you?ve seen it) - it was water straight on my mill [face_dancing]

?I mean Shira Brie,? she corr

22. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire ? Chapter 13

An Evening in Chaos

Despite Wedge?s blundering, Luke?s mood lightened as he headed for the Chaos with Mara Jade. Wedge had his team ready now ? Deena was as likely to turn down danger and excitement as Chewie was to resist a juicy bantha steak ? and his own mission looked promising too. And as soon as he?d finished it he?d be able to return to Yoda ? that was not even twenty days away. Twenty days was a long time of course, but at least it was a deadline. And Luke had already promised himself that this would be the final mission he?d accept before Dagobah. He decided to push his problems aside for tonight ? when had he last been to the bar with his friends?

Of course, one of his problems was presently walking next to him. She had a strange way of cropping up everywhere he moved these days ? or was it just that he couldn?t stay away? The past few weeks had taught him that getting a friendly conversation out of Mara was harder than cracking a smile from a stormtrooper, and he was nothing if not a sucker for attempting impossible feats, wasn?t he? He searched determinedly for a good topic but Mara stunned him by seizing the initiative herself. ?So, we?re going to the Chaos, right?? she asked, voice surprisingly devoid of sarcasm. ?If I recall correctly, that?s the smallest of the mess halls. Why is it called the Chaos??

Luke gave her a quick glance, searching for hidden gibes, but either Mara was in a good mood or she had finally started to soften up. Whoa! ?Well, you know the Mess, don?t you??

?I suppose you mean Mess Hall One??

?Yes - that?s Big Mess. Then there?s Small Mess ? that?s mess hall two since it?s slightly smaller. The third is called Bad Mess ? I don?t think it?s due to the food ?cause that?s about as bad everywhere - and then there?s Chaos which also functions as a bar in the evening cycle. So to answer your actual question I have no idea. Probably some drunk pilot?s idea of humor.?

Her mouth twitched. ?I suppose.?

Luke glanced at her again, incredulous but pleased. He?d better take advantage of her good mood while it lasted. ?So, how are you settling in?? he asked. ?Seems like you and Deena are getting along pretty well??

Mara considered her answer a moment. ?I guess we do,? she allowed finally. ?She?s?? she paused, searching for a proper word.

?Sweet?? Luke suggested, not able to hold back a smile.

Mara blinked. ?Yes. Sweet. Well meaning.? She broke off, as if surprised at the realization. Then she added a bit wryly, ?She talks a lot, though.?

?That she does,? Luke agreed readily, his eyes on the passageway. Deena and Mara Jade. Two women he couldn?t help feeling responsible for, two women who couldn?t have been less alike but two women who were winding up in cahoots nonetheless. For some reason, this pleased him to no end. Of course Mara was grumping and balking about it, but he wasn?t buying that anymore.

He glanced at her secretly. She was seriously attractive, no denying it, but the subconscious pride and general derision that she radiated made her all but approachable. Under both those layers, though, there was some deeper quality of her personality that affected him, tickled his curiosity. He was pretty damned sure that the slight awkwardness he sensed from her was reluctance to admit she actually liked Deena ? and that brought a smile to his lips. Once, Han had been the same ? wary, reluctant and seclusive ? Mara was of the same stock. Give it time and they?d get the Jade out of Mara just like they?d gotten the Solo out of Han. She?d turn out to be? Luke didn?t quite know what she?d turn out to be, but he knew he genuinely looked forward to seeing what it was.

As they entered the Chaos, Luke spotted Shira almost instantly, standing by the table where several Rogues were seated. He felt a quick jab of excitement, followed by a stab of guilt as he realized he was not only showing up at the bar for the first time in ages but also showing up with another gorgeous redhead. Like she could sense his presence, Shira

23. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Give it time and they?d get the Jade out of Mara just like they?d gotten the Solo out of Han.

Oh, I love this line!

?And I?m Wes!? Wes Jansen exclaimed, thrusting himself out over the table and almost spilling the drinks on it in the process. ?Don?t mind Hobbie, he?s a bore. If you want to have fun, baby ? then here?s your man!? He thumbed his chest and flashed a broad smile.

Oh god, Wes.

Here I eat what I get served.?

This is very, very in character for Mara, even later on in canon.

Mara shook her head mentally; humiliating your commander like this qualified as insubordination in the Imperial Armed Forces, which was good for a one-way ticket to the firing squad.

Nice insight; Mara is still a loyal Imperial.

Luke grimaced. ?Thanks. Well, don?t tell anyone but Pash Cracken and I ? we?ve got this really hot thing going on??

LMAO!

?You realized you forgot to kiss me goodnight?? Hobbie put in hopefully.
    ?No way Wes would forget a beautiful woman undressing in his company.?

Tee-hee!

Your interactions with the Rogues are great and I love Mara's insights about Shira. Now if only Luke could stop being such a farm boy... :)

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Wonderful post, kataja! =D= Things are definitely going to get far more interesting (not that they weren't already interesting ;) ) now that Mara knows about Shira (and I wonder how much Shira suspects? :confused:)!

Might "turn up danger and excitement" be a typo for "turn down danger and excitement? I wonder if Luke will indeed be returning to Yoda in twenty days' time, or whether something will crop up between now and then...

Oh, I can understand why Luke would be pleased to no end - who wouldn't be pleased if two people who were important to you could get along well? ;) Nice to see that Luke is definitely starting to see the part of Mara that she's tried to keep hidden away. :)

Loved the banter in the cantina - it was definitely fun! :D

Oh, Mara's definitely a bit jealous here, even when she knows well that there isn't any reason to be! ;)

Oh, some extremely interesting questions here! I can't help but wonder whether Mara will help Luke realise this at some point of time in the future - although I really can't see how she would do it or why it would be beneficial to her...

Oh, I hope this doesn't blow Mara's cover as far as Shira is concerned!

It's lovely to see Han thinking about the relationship between him and Leia. [face_love]

Great chapter, and I'm really looking forward to the next installment! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. blank101

Nov 20, 2008
    Heh ? okay, already the title of this chapter made me laugh :p

The past few weeks had taught him that getting a friendly conversation out of Mara was harder than cracking a smile from a stormtrooper, and he was nothing if not a sucker for attempting impossible feats, wasn?t he?

LOL! Oh, Luke. You know him so well o_O

?... that?s Big Mess. Then there?s Small Mess ? that?s mess hall two since it?s slightly smaller. The third is called Bad Mess ? I don?t think it?s due to the food ?cause that?s about as bad everywhere - and then there?s Chaos which also functions as a bar in the evening cycle. So to answer your actual question I have no idea. Probably some drunk pilot?s idea of humor.?

Nice :p [face_peace] the kind of off the wall humor that happen all the time in RL. Loved it

Give it time and they?d get the Jade out of Mara just like they?d gotten the Solo out of Han.

=D= =D= CLAP

?No? Well, I at least remember a certain Zeltron who run away from her smuggler boss to take a vacation with Lukie ? and she was a redhead.?

Yaay, Zeltrons! [face_dancing]

Mara froze for a fraction of a second and wondered for an instant if Brie might have too.

Ooh?Mara?s starting to suspect? [face_thinking]

?Well, I think red hair?s nice, yes. It?s pretty - if it?s the natural color, that is. At least it?s unusual.? He shrugged. ?In general, I guess I like women with hair??

Aw, Luke, that is the worst bit of backpedalling I've ever heard? [face_mischief]

Again, Mara tried to reach the woman in the Force and again her senses slipped, sliding like against that glass-hard, impenetrable surface.

Ooh, nice description ? I kinda see Shira as that, underneath.

?Fruit?s not real dessert.?

I gotta say, I?m with Shira on that one! [face_mischief]

?My jacket,? Mara explained. She bent down and caught it from the floor but didn?t miss the sudden flash of realization on Brie?s face. She guessed?!
    Mara left the Chaos in deep thought. Brie had somehow spotted her well in advance and ruined her sneak-up maneuver. Moreover, she had seen through Mara?s little trick with the jacket, of that she was sure. Not many did.
    Of course, the jacket trick was basics in spy-training?

Heh,heh,heh. Very good =D= liked that [face_peace]

Now you've got us all wondering whether Mara will actually try to lead Luke to the same conclusions she?s reached about Shira? [face_thinking]

This was a really great chapter ? your best to date, I think. Everything just clicked fromt he get-go. The characters, the ongoing story trickled out in casual conversation, the atmosphere?I got completely pulled in after five lines, and forgot I was supposed to be commenting! I had to read it all again, and I didn't even care, 'cos I wanted to do that straight away, anyway :cool: [face_peace]

Yaay!=D=