main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Quagmire (AU, L/M others around ROTJ) Part 1 completed 29th. September

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kataja, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    Poor Deena. She is so vulnerable here and she wants everyone to like her so much...:(

Shira is... something. Master of manipulations. To hurt people with a sincerest smile.... brrr...[face_sick]

Imatra

Did you choose it on purpose, may I ask? :)I do love Imatra - a small, friendly, exceptionally beautiful city in Finland. [face_love]

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I cannot wait for the Mara/Shira showdown--Shira's a spy or just too sneaky for her own good :p

Woot! Loved Han's musings re Leia :D

:)

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I've been having trouble posting lately, but I am reading and enjoying your story. Luke is just surrounded by wimmen, ain't he? [face_laugh]

Well done! =D=

4. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    And as soon as he?d finished it he?d be able to return to Yoda ? that was not even twenty days away. Twenty days was a long time of course, but at least it was a deadline. And Luke had already promised himself that this would be the final mission he?d accept before Dagobah.

Why do I have a feeling something will happen over the course of twenty days to alter that plan?

Han had been the same ? wary, reluctant and seclusive ? Mara was of the same stock. Give it time and they?d get the Jade out of Mara just like they?d gotten the Solo out of Han.

Yes, Mara is the female Han Solo in some ways.

?You guys realize this is actually coming form Wes Jansen, the guy who ate beetle stew and mistook it for nerf! That where you got this ambition to become a gourmet, Wes??

[face_laugh] Beetle stew, nice touch!

?Oh yes, long coppery locks.? Hobbie gestured to his waist, then his hands went up to circle above his chest. ?And let me tell you, I don?t care how rich her daddy made her, it?s nothing compared to what she inherited from her mother....?

Getting the pilot talk right without actually going into the gutter. Nicely done.

If the shielding was why Skywalker had subconsciously kept Brie at a distance, wasn?t his melting now a clear sign that he still didn?t know what she was doing? How much training had he actually received? Did he even know that shielding was possible? And if he didn?t, then he sure as hell wasn?t shielding himself. Might Mara?s own, clear sensations of him be due to this? She had probably never met another Force sensitive who wasn?t shielding.

[face_thinking] I wonder just where that line of thinking will lead Mara. Certainly has a good deal of potential.

?Well it isn?t here and I actually don?t think you took it off either. Wes? Did Mara take of her jacket while she sat here??

?Nope. She sure as hell didn?t.?

?There,? Antilles winked. ?No way Wes would forget a beautiful woman undressing in his company.?

[face_laugh] No arguing with that impeccable logic.

Mara left the Chaos in deep thought. Brie had somehow spotted her well in advance and ruined her sneak-up maneuver. Moreover, she had seen through Mara?s little trick with the jacket, of that she was sure. Not many did.

Of course, the jacket trick was basics in spy-training?

I wonder how long ti will take for Mara to but the pieces together. She's getting closer...

5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    You are a writing machine!! This story is amazing. I can see all the work you've put into it.

I love how you make the characters so real. I feel like you've put a lot of thought into each one.

Luke made an obvious effort to take all of this with high spirits. ?Well, I think red hair?s nice, yes. It?s pretty - if it?s the natural color, that is. At least it?s unusual.? He shrugged. ?In general, I guess I like women with hair??

:eek:[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Oh, that was priceless. I was LOLing at that. Poor Lukie.

Great update! :D

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    JediMara77

"Here I eat what I get served.?
    This is very, very in character for Mara, even later on in canon.

Heh, I?m glad you pick this out. I think so too, but I was wondering about it a little myself when I wrote it [face_thinking] (you know the feeling? you write something, then just stare at it and realize, yes you mean it but you?re not quite sure why). But there is some, I dunno a modesty, a practicality about her that I really want to underline, partly because I like it, partly because I think it?s important in her storyline here? [face_mischief]

"Mara shook her head mentally; humiliating your commander like this qualified as insubordination in the Imperial Armed Forces, which was good for a one-way ticket to the firing squad."
    Nice insight; Mara is still a loyal Imperial
    Oh, yes. Remember, she still has no reason not to be loyal. She?s starting to realize the amount of dirt she?s getting on her hands since she beginning to understand the humanity and perspective of her enemy ? but that is absolutely not enough reason for her to even consider changing loaylity.

"Luke grimaced. ?Thanks. Well, don?t tell anyone but Pash Cracken and I ? we?ve got this really hot thing going on??
    LMAO!

Tee hee ;)

Your interactions with the Rogues are great and I love Mara's insights about Shira.
    Thanks! I love the Rogues myself ? but that doesn?t make them easy to write [face_worried]

Now if only Luke could stop being such a farm boy...
    :p Aww, you domn't mean that do you? ;)

Valiowk
    Wonderful post, kataja! Things are definitely going to get far more interesting (not that they weren't already interesting ) now that Mara knows about Shira (and I wonder how much Shira suspects? )!
    Aww, thanks! You make me so glad! :) And I can reveal Shira doesn?t suspect Mara to be more than a shrewed rival.

Might "turn up danger and excitement" be a typo for "turn down danger and excitement? I wonder if Luke will indeed be returning to Yoda in twenty days' time, or whether something will crop up between now and then...
    Ups, thanks ? corrected now. And answer to your question: almost and? yes O:)

"kataja posted: Deena and Mara Jade. Two women he couldn?t help feeling responsible for, two women who couldn?t have been less alike but two women who were winding up in cahoots nonetheless. For some reason, this pleased him to no end. Of course Mara was grumping and balking about it, but he wasn?t buying that anymore."
    Oh, I can understand why Luke would be pleased to no end - who wouldn't be pleased if two people who were important to you could get along well? Nice to see that Luke is definitely starting to see the part of Mara that she's tried to keep hidden away
    He?s starp eyed, being a farmboy. ;) But remember he has no reason to think of Mara as important to him - yet?[face_mischief]

Loved the banter in the cantina - it was definitely fun!
    Thanks! It was fun to write too. :D I?m glad it came through. There?s few things so embarassing as being the only one laughing at your own jokes? [face_sick]

"kataja posted: If the shielding was why Skywalker had subconsciously kept Brie at a distance, wasn?t his melting now a clear sign that he still didn?t know what she was doing? How much training had he actually received? Did he even know that shielding was possible? And if he didn?t, then he sure as hell wasn?t shielding himself. Might Mara?s own, clear sensations of him be due to this? She had probably never met another Force sensitive who wasn?t shielding."
    Oh, some extremely interesting questions here! I can't help but wonder whether Mara will help Luke realise this at some point of time in the future - although I really can't see how she would do it or why it would be beneficial to her.
    Maybe simply existing is enough? As contrast? Although Mara is shielding too? o_O But I think in the end, if you ret

7. kataja

May 4, 2007
    [:D] Huge thanks as always to marvellous frodogenic for beta. This time I also owe a special thanks to Cat's Cradle for technical support and a chemistry lesson!

Quagmire - Chapter 14

The Dinner

Luke was waiting in Small Mess, where a corner had been screened off in order in the effort to make a cozy dinner place for two. Ollie, convinced there was no special request ?his place? couldn?t accomodate, had put quite a lot of droids to work to transform a corner of the hall to a private partition.

Contemplating the result, Luke decided that the privacy part was fulfilled but the coziness factor still left a great deal to be desired. He took a deep breath and fingered the collar of his best uniform. Well, this was as good as it could get on a Rebel ship in wartime. The main reason why he was nervous wasn?t the seating arrangements, nor even Ollie and his droids? doubtful culinary prowess; it was purely the soon-expected company that threatened to break him into a cold sweat. Why had he agreed to this in the first place?

The soon-expected company arrived impeccably on time and immediately caused Luke to both panic and forget why in rapid succession. Shira looked beautiful. She wore a black dress, simple but perfectly fit and setting off her femininity with its well tailored, sober cut. Her auburn hair was pulled back from her face into a high chignon that underlined her carriage and the gracious line of her neck. A small amount of makeup elevated her naturally pretty face to a vision of beauty.

She smiled at his expression, her eyes sparkling with mirth. ?At ease, Commander. Permission to breathe granted.?

Luke realized that he had indeed been holding his breath at the sight of her and let out a small laugh. ?Oh. I...um? You look beautiful!?

Shira beamed at the compliment and Luke hurried to pull out her chair. She sat graciously and Luke followed suit, surprised that all had gone well at least so far.

?So?? Shira wondered. ?Do I remember this correctly? Cracknels for appetizer, wasn?t it??

?Yes,? Luke confirmed, glancing to the waiting droid that instantly rolled onwards, serving the first course and filling their glasses with Bespin sparkler. Luke lifted his glass. ?To a good evening?? he suggested, hoping he didn?t sound too uninventive.

?To a good evening,? Shira agreed readily and toasted. ?And if Ollie actually manages to spice that tenderloin properly it will be too. I love Corellian ? and I haven?t tasted a proper meal of it in years.?

Luke looked at her in surprise. ?You should come onboard the Falcon at some point, then. Han is a pretty good cook, actually. And he cooks nothing but his native.?

Shira put her glass down, donning an incensed expression. ?What? All these years and you?ve never told me??

?Hey, I didn?t know you like Corellian,? Luke protested.

Shira laughed, not bothering to maintain her feigned offence. She picked a cracknel, took a bite and sighed with satisfaction. Then she lit up, as if remembering something and spoke up, some food still in her mouth. ?Mh! Have you ever heard the story of why Corellian food got so spicy??

Luke picked an appetizer of his own and gave her an amused look. ?No. But I assume you?re about to tell me.?

She winked and swallowed. ?Well, once upon a time there was a poor Corellian fisherman. He loved spiced food but in those days you could never find anything even nearly spicy on Corellia. They had salt, and that was about it.?

?Sounds like life in the Rebellion??

?Shut up, I?m telling a story here. And they had no spices on Drall or Selonia either for that matter. So this poor man had to??

Luke dug into his cracknel, still astonished while he listened fully-amused at Shira?s story. Why had he thought this would be so hard?

Mara was on the way back from her shift, having walked halfway down the ship towards her cabin when she got a feeling something was wrong.

Very wrong.

She stopped in the middle of Home One?s central corr

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    All the nuances and undertones between Luke and Mara in this post - spoken and unspoken -- SQUEE!

The emotional/mental connection is getting stronger

[face_dancing]
    [face_dancing]

Yum!

;) [face_mischief]

Mara's instinctive rescue of Deena =D= and the loosening of her shields even briefly :D :D

Great progress.

I have a feeling that whomever is behind the arson and other acts of sabotage -- Shira's right in the thick of it [face_thinking] :mad:

You and frodogenic make a great team =D= Plotting and execution of the story is excellent. @};-

9. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    ?Oh dear, you seem to be in a hurry,? he commented amiably. Mara hesitated for a moment. Nothing good would come of it if she told anyone about her premonition. She definitely had no interest in being chalked up with Skywalker and his hard-core Jedi mystics ? she had no good reputation or hero nimbus to bolster her against dangerous prejudices. Mara frowned. Her nostrils flared.

Nothing good would come from it, but she is compelled to act on it anyway. That's the real Mara, always wanting to do the right thing even if her views of the right thing are sometimes twisted by the walking corpse.

?Do you ever ask what good will come of your efforts or do you simply...do as you?re told?? She tilted her head suggestingly.

Luke?s grin deepened. ?No.?

?That?s not an answer,? she reproached. ?Can you say anything besides ?no???

Luke started sputtering. ?Yes.?

[face_laugh] Awkward, but realistic. I like it.

Luke didn?t say anything but turned back to the bed. He reached out and gently stroked a blond curl away from Deena?s temple. Mara swallowed hard, something in his tenderness towards the unconscious girl taking her with surprise, her eyes locking on his hand. She could see the veins on the back of it, the shape of his strong fingers. It looked so manly, so compelling, so vigorous?

Mara doesn't even realize what she's feeling yet, does she? :rolleyes: I suppose that will need to be fixed in time.

He held her gaze a moment longer, then his eyes narrowed, became distant. ?I sense an ill will,? he finally acknowledged. ?A ruthless mind behind all this destruction.?

Mara?s heart jumped at that. That was the same feeling she?d had, more vague, wordless, but his choice of words fit perfectly. ?I can?t believe it was spontaneous either,? she told him. ?Too many system malfunctions; open doors, no emergency systems, no alarms? And the fire must have started inside the plastifoam container??

?Why do you think that?? Luke?s frown deepened.

?Deena showed me around Supply some time ago and I pointed out to them the danger about those containers.? Mara made a face, resentment frothing up at the memory. ?I actually stood there and warned them, dammit! Warned them that plastifoam is dangerous if is starts melting and they told me ?why would it start melting??!?

She shook her head in frustration. ?Well, normally it doesn?t - unless it?s in close contact with high temperatures for a longer time. And they pointed out to me that there wasn?t exactly anything else that would start burning in the warehouse. So that?s why I take it the fire must have started inside a barrel. And once the first barrels took fire it spread fast.?

I think it's time for those two to do some investigative work. Let them realize how well the work together. ;)

Mara took a deep breath and hurried to disentangle. ?Don?t you even,? she growled, holding up her hand to put some distance between them. ?I?m walking out of here on my own two feet, dammit!?

He had the decency to look appropriately repentant even if she got a dreadful feeling that he was silently sputtering with laughter. ?Of course you are.?

Yep, that's how those two always start. Mara doesn't want help and Luke can't help but give it anyway. Very well done.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    --Now if only Luke could stop being such a farm boy... --
    Aww, you domn't mean that do you?

That's the frustrating thing about Luke Skywalker--his most frustrating traits are what we love most about him! ;)

?Shut up, I?m telling a story here. And they had no spices on Drall or Selonia either for that matter. So this poor man had to??

Luke dug into his cracknel, still astonished while he listened fully-amused at Shira?s story. Why had he thought this would be so hard?

Bah! I wanted to know the story! ;)

Mara was on the way back from her shift, having walked halfway down the ship towards her cabin when she got a feeling something was wrong.

Very wrong.

Well, that's never good.

Deena! The supplies! The danger came from the supply storerooms below! Mara burst full tilt towards the nearest turbo lift. The big warehouses were on Decks Two and Three, she remembered, and while she ran, she realized with a sudden clarity that terrified her quite unexpectedly, that Deena was on shift right now!

Awww...she cares.

Shira lifted her chin, a knowing smile tugging the corners of her mouth. ?The mood where you say ?yes,?? she told him. ?The mood where you actually relax and laugh and make jokes despite being alone with me. It?s so often that you turn so somber and closed. I?m so glad it doesn?t have to be that way.?

I hate Shira, but dammit she's right about that.

Reaching out, he almost stumbled over Mara?s Force presence ? why am I stumbling over that woman everywhere?

Tee-hee. :)

She had better self-control than this!

Oh, Mara, not when it comes to Skywalker, you don't. ;) :D

Can't wait to read more, kataja! Write faster! ;)

11. Piper057

Nov 26, 2009

You can ? I sincerely hate her already. :D

I highly recommend you to visit ? it?s an amazing place to spend peaceful, cozy holidays and to admire the beauty of nature. Oh, and these guys make the best pizza I?ve ever eaten.[face_batting]

Yes ? it?s our Mara. =D=

Mmmmm? brilliant passage. A small masterpiece of writing, so hard to find nowadays.... I'll suppose I'll keep in a safe place. ;)

And Luke/Mara talk was priceless! :)

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    A tense, heart-pounding chapter! :eek: It's definitely a relief to see that Mara is fine at the end of it all and Deena will hopefully be fine after some while too!

I actually liked the conversation between Luke and Shira a lot - I would love to find out how the story about the Corellian goes! :p If we weren't aware of Shira's identity, I think I would actually be glad for Luke that the date went so well until they found out about the fire!

And this is the reason why I love Mara - beneath all her layers of training as an Emperor's Hand, she is fundamentally a kind and decent person. :)

I can't help but be suspicious of the fact that this incident occurred at the very time when Luke was distracted with personal affairs...or am I reading too much into this? O:)

Loved the efficient and cooperative operator on the other side - the worst possible thing that could happen in such a situation would be if the operator refused to see things from Mara's point-of-view during this emergency.

Why do I get the feeling that this says something about the date, as amazing as it seems to have been? ;) :p

That "why am I stumbling over that woman everywhere?" was hilarious! :D You shouldn't be thinking that way, Luke! ;)

I must say, Mara has the strangest thoughts... :p I wonder she'll get to feel that hand soon! ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Well, a lot happened in this week?s chapter! :eek: We had dates, we hade fires, we had jeopardy and even a little romance (and I?m not talking about Luke and Shira)o_O

Shira beamed at the compliment and Luke hurried to pull out her chair.

Aw, ever the gentlemanO:)

The whole fire scenes were great; they ticked tighter and tighter with tension as Mara stayed down there, looking for Deena?for her friend.

?Copy that. I?ll contact MedBay and get a paramedic squad down there. May the Force be with you, Tech Officer Jade. Ops out.?

And not only did Mara allow herself to become involved, but now everyone will know, and respect her for it?she?s becoming a member of the crew [face_thinking]

?? And while the emerald wine wasn?t emerald but more like? lime-colored, at least it wasn?t beer.?

Hey, I?ve had that wine! :eek:

?Ah. Top secret then. But about the shuttle, do you happen know what it?s going to be used for, once we?ve stolen it??

Hmmm?.I do suspect that Mz Brie was working a two-prong attack here; use Skywalker?s distraction to stop him spotting the danger, and pump him for information on the upcoming missions?[face_thinking]

Luke cocked his head and smiled. The amount of green wine he?d consumed made him daring enough to try to charm himself out of the suddenly precarious situation. ?No.? It wasn?t an exact lie either; he didn?t know.
    Shira grinned, amused. ?Do you ever ask what good will come of your efforts or do you simply...do as you?re told?? She tilted her head suggestingly.
    ?I should have known. Now, what should I do to keep you in that mood??
    ?Sorry, what mood?? Luke lost the thread again, as usual when confronted with her quick wit.

Aw, he was actually getting quite smooth for a minute there =D= :)

Absolutely great run of descriptions upping the ante when Mara finally got to the fire. I particularly loved Mara?s disorientation towards the end:

Faintly, she registered shouts, forms appearing out of the smoke, someone screaming into her ear. A shock of cold sprayed against her, blissfully cold, and she realized it was water. Someone released her of the weight, she could hardly remember what she?d been carrying anymore or why she?d come here in the first place. She was hauled by the arms and she stumbled with the pull, shouts and screams filled the air, and a dull, hissing sound? why was it so dark?

=D= [face_peace]

Luke didn?t say anything but turned back to the bed. He reached out and gently stroked a blond curl away from Deena?s temple. Mara swallowed hard, something in his tenderness towards the unconscious girl taking her with surprise, her eyes locking on his hand. She could see the veins on the back of it, the shape of his strong fingers. It looked so manly, so compelling, so vigorous?

Lovely little piece where seeing Luke show affection for someone else, Mara begins to imagine if it were her..

Reaching out, he almost stumbled over Mara?s Force presence ? why am I stumbling over that woman everywhere?

Hee hee! :p

Fab chapter Kataja. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for more....[face_peace]

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jade_eyes
    All the nuances and undertones between Luke and Mara in this post - spoken and unspoken -- SQUEE!
    LOL ? yes, there are a lot of them (or I try anyway [face_blush]) but remember ? they?re in the middle of and see less clarly than we do? [face_whistling]

Mara's instinctive rescue of Deena and the loosening of her shields even briefly Great progress.
    I like to think so too. [face_mischief]

I have a feeling that whomever is behind the arson and other acts of sabotage -- Shira's right in the thick of it
    :p Your feelings serve you well?

You and frodogenic make a great team Plotting and execution of the story is excellent. Aww, [face_blush] thanks! I?m so glad you think so! And I can tell you she?s amazing to work with!!![:D]

Jedi_BMK
    Nothing good would come from it, but she is compelled to act on it anyway. That's the real Mara, always wanting to do the right thing even if her views of the right thing are sometimes twisted by the walking corpse.
    I think you hit the nail with that remark. She?s as heroic a figure as Luke in her effort to do the right thing ? never sparing herself. But unfortunately she?d do much to spare ?the walking corpse??:mad:

?Do you ever ask what good will come of your efforts or do you simply...do as you?re told?? She tilted her head suggestingly.

Awkward, but realistic. I like it.

I think many people have a problm with Luke because 'awkward' is his middle name. :p That?s why I love him, though?[face_batting]

Mara doesn't even realize what she's feeling yet, does she? I suppose that will need to be fixed in time.

Nope ? and yes? - in time?[face_mischief]

I think it's time for those two to do some investigative work. Let them realize how well the work together.
    They will get the chance to work together ? but not much about the fire. If I?d given them the chance, much bad might have been avoided? [face_devil]

Yep, that's how those two always start. Mara doesn't want help and Luke can't help but give it anyway. Very well done.
    Thanks! Yes, they fall into the same lingo, fic after fic? I hope I tire of it before my redares do?:p

JediMara77
    --Now if only Luke could stop being such a farm boy... --
    Aww, you domn't mean that do you?

That's the frustrating thing about Luke Skywalker--his most frustrating traits are what we love most about him!

:D I couldn?t agree more!

Bah! I wanted to know the story
    !
    Tee-hee. I?m not sure I?ll ever manage to write it but if I do it will be called Lost Tales from the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Deena! The supplies! The danger came from the supply storerooms below! Mara burst full tilt towards the nearest turbo lift. The big warehouses were on Decks Two and Three, she remembered, and while she ran, she realized with a sudden clarity that terrified her quite unexpectedly, that Deena was on shift right now!

Awww...she cares
    She does, she really does? but don?t tell her yet?:cool:

Shira lifted her chin, a knowing smile tugging the corners of her mouth. ?The mood where you say ?yes,?? she told him. ?The moo

15. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire - Chapter 15

The Emperor?s Hand

Deena was in for a prolonged visit to the medbay but Mara was back on job already two days after the fire. Of course, the first thing she did was run into Skywalker. ?Congratulations. I heard they bumped you up to Tech Second Class,? he told her, the slightest of amused smiles curling his mouth.

She had in fact received a note to that effect. The formal ceremony would be held tomorrow. Such a fast pace indicated that the ranking Rebel officers were impressed with her, but Mara hadn?t exactly clapped her hands. ?Wonderful. Terrific. Just what I?ve always wanted.?

Luke grinned at her. ?Are you telling me that wasn?t the reason you went into the fire; to soar to the rank of second class in the Alliance Forces??

Mara rolled her eyes. ?I should have stopped to bargain first. That was worth a First Class. At the very least.?

Those blue eyes got an odd, warm glow to them and his smile broadened to embarrassing dimensions. ?You?re right. It was!?

Clearly, she couldn?t have picked a better scheme than a one-woman rescue mission into a roaring inferno to obtain Skywalker?s trust ? but did he have to look at her like that? Like they?d shared something rare? ?Anything else?? she demanded tersely. ?I?m already late for my shift.?

He shook his head, smiling, remaining as infuriatingly impossible to insult as ever. ?No. Sorry. I won?t keep you, then.?

She hurried on while pondering like mad what that last expression of his had suggested? He had no reason to find her amusing, had he?

?Of course I know that bhuta oil self-ignites if there is too much methane in the air! I wasn?t produced last year. But I?m quite sure those things have nothing to do with each other.? See-Threepio wriggled his arms in annoyance as he followed his counterpart down one of the less traffic-jammed corridors of Home One?s massive bulk. The small droid in the lead turned and beeped an objection.

?Artoo Deeto, will you please stop playing detective?? Were all astromechs so nosy? Threepio hoped not, or it would be a wonder the galaxy was still spinning. He certainly was sure the majority of them weren?t this impertinent.

Artoo whistled a counter-question and Threepio?s golden torso tilted in the droid equivalent of an exasperated sigh. ?Yes, I can very well see that a droid could have access to the area but why would it start a leak in the methane container? We are programmed to maintain, not to destroy.?

The astromech warbled an explanation so long it nearly overran even Threepio?s extremely capable circuits. Nearly. ?Well, I supposed that is possible... But you forget that there was whole series of malfuncions. The detectors didn?t raise the alarm about that leak, the doors didn?t work properly, the alarm was inoperative? ?

His squat companion, of course, already had an explanation ready and Threepio listened to histwitter, sensors beginning to overload. ?Several droids? Now, I have never! You make it sound like a mutiny!?

Artoo, anything but discouraged, trilled on with more details about spies and droids and reprogramming. Threepio did his best to follow for a while, then gave up in favour of an overbearing interruption. ?Well, technically speaking I suppose that?s correct - but that doesn?t make you right! Just because it takes only one person to re-program them it doesn?t mean that was what happened.? He adopted what he decided was a very solemn tone. ?Artoo Deetoo, you?re making severe accusations on very loose ground.?

Artoo beeped a rather cheeky objection and Threepio snapped. ?Well, if you are going to continue to pursue this mindless quest, it will be without me. I?ve had enough of it.? He straightened to his full height, turned and marched away, every inch of his gleaming humanoid frame broadcasting indignation.

The small astromech watched his retreat, chirruping to itself a few moments, then turned on its sockets and determinedly started towards Supply.

Hours later,

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hee! the first scene with L/M -- yay! Warmth is building!

The Mara/Shira scene -- :eek: Wow!!!!!! Brie a Hand among several. o_O

Mara's conversation with the Emperor and her subsequent self-scrutiny and world/self view upheaval -- =D= brilliantly written and a pivotal turning point.

:)

Brie - a better seductress -- bleh. :p

[:D] and eagerly awaiting more!!!

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oooh, excellent, wonderful update!

Loved the confrontation between Mara and Shira...it's especially interesting knowing what becomes of both of them in canon. Sigh.

You are my most loyal and trusted servant, like a daughter to me since childhood.?

This line made me hiss audibly; I just hate Palpatine so much, and especially after the fic I've been writing, this line got to me. Evil Palpatine, evil!!!!!

I really love your insights into Mara's connection with Palpatine. And it's nice to see that she has some sense of morality even in what she's ordered to do.

Can't wait to see what happens next!

18. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I knew it was Shira who set the fire. Interesting conversation between her and Mara.

Mara is beginning to have some doubts, yet she still sent the information on about the spy. Should be interesting how this comes out.

Those redheads.....

19. Piper057

Nov 26, 2009

Mmmm... Why not? :D

[face_laugh]Perfect description!

Huh... Never regard people according to your own character. [face_whistling]

Damn. Poor girl- lost and alone.

20. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    So many goodies in this chapter, especially all these new revelations for Mara! :eek: As always, I'm simply astounded by the level of detail of each chapter, and the fact that you manage to get new chapters up so quickly! [:D]

I think Luke is simply pleased to be congratulating somebody else on a job well done instead of receiving the congratulations this time - if there's "something rare" that they share, it's the knowledge of what it's like to go into a dangerous situation simply out of concern for others.

So...no, I don't think he finds her amusing. He's just pleased. :) ;)

So now Shira and Mara know each other's identities - it'll be interesting to see how they attempt to "cooperate" to achieve their missions when I'm certain that there's nothing they would like more than simply for the other to vanish at times! I certainly can't seem them cooperating over Luke at all! :p

Oh, interesting! We finally have an explanation for all those dreams Luke has been having involving Vader!

I can definitely see why Mara is skeptical about Shira's need to bed Luke to influence his dreams. [face_laugh]

Interesting how mistaken Shira is. Of course, there's the possibility that she's not sharing her opinion truthfully with Mara, but I get the feeling that Shira has indeed read things the wrong way, even if this isn't her complete opinion of Leia.

Oh, chilling indeed! :eek: I can't help but wonder how Shira set off the fire...

Of course, after being lied to, one wonders how much of the Emperor's other words one can believe... The more lies Mara is fed now and discovers

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008
    -----?Wonderful. Terrific. Just what I?ve always wanted.?
    -----Luke grinned at her. ?Are you telling me that wasn?t the reason you went into the fire; to soar to the rank of second class in the Alliance Forces??
    -----Mara rolled her eyes. ?I should have stopped to bargain first. That was worth a First Class. At the very least.?

Hee! Nice to hear them bantering! :D

-----Those blue eyes got an odd, warm glow to them and his smile broadened to embarrassing dimensions. ?You?re right. It was!?

Aw!

And the droids! I?m always so impressed when someone manages to get Artoo and Threepio in their stories, especially when they make it interesting?and absolutely on-character =D=

-----?Authorized by who?? This didn?t make sense and Mara realized she was grabbing the armsrests for support. She had an uncanny feeling of almost losing the very control she?d come here to gain, almost like when she?d been fifteen and drinking too much ambrostine for the first time?

Heh, nice observation.

-----?I?m saying there are many Hands. I have no number but I know of at least three apart for myself. And now I can add you to the list.? She leaned back on the bunk, supporting herself on one arm as she tilted her head, a curious glint in her eyes. ?You didn?t know??

Oh, and what a snide and patronizing way for Brie to tell her! [face_frustrated]

Nice to see this whole change-around of Shira?s character here, from friendly and confident to condescending and arrogant. And to see Mara, trying to hold it all together under blow after blow of unwanted truths.

----- ?Sure she is, but we both know that if our Master really had bothered, he could have had her killed ages ago. My guess is that he wants to leave her standing as a rallying point until he can crush the Rebellion with one strike. The last thing he wants is the Rebellion splitting into decentralized cells.?

Ooh, nice logic! [face_peace]

----- Mara calmed a little, feeling a silent surge of relief. Apparantly Brie couldn?t hear their Master?s voice through the Force as Mara could. She might call herself a Hand but she clearly wasn?t as close to their Master as Mara was.

And great that Mara?s grasping for something to cling to, here.

----- ?I?m dream-sensitive. I can see into people?s fears and dreams and to a great extent I?m able to feed their fright by influencing them in their sleep.

Wow, interesting =D= Something from canon, or all your own invention?

----- Brie snorted with contempt. ?Luke worships the ground she walks on. No other girl has had a chance since he joined the Rebellion because of her. And that suits Her Highness well. If she could keep Luke from me by sleeping with him behind Solo?s back she would, believe me, but Luke?s too righteous for those kinds of tricks and she knows it. By choosing Solo, the Princess could have them both. That was what she thought anyway.? She lifted her chin casually, not bothering to disguise how pleased she was with herself. ?She can?t stand that I came along and caught his interest. And she knows she?s losing the game.?

Heh, and like everyone else says, Brie?s projecting her own character onto Leia?s actions, here! o_O

----- Brie shrugged. ?But that?s irrelevant. All the major pieces are in place, just a few details left to finalize.?
    -----?Like his co-operation?? Mara just couldn?t help herself.

Heh,heh ? she just couldn?t help but dig a bit!

----- Mara snorted impatiently. That wasn?t the same thing. And she wouldn?t be killing Deena, she wasn?t in her way?

Uh-oh! :eek:

-----And she knew ? knew with absolute clarity ? that it had been Shira Brie who?d ignited the fire on third deck. A cold chill run down Mara?s spine and she couldn?t help wondering whether Brie?s intention had been to make an inroad into the supplies of the Rebels...or simply a failed attempt to get rid of an old rival on her

22. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    ?Several droids? Now, I have never! You make it sound like a mutiny!?

A droid mutiny? That's a worrying proposition. At least Artoo is around to fend them off if there is one. :D

Brie was still smirking that impenetrable, self-assured smirk of hers. ?That would have some anatomical justification, wouldn?t it? But no. I?m saying there are many Hands. I have no number but I know of at least three apart for myself. And now I can add you to the list.? She leaned back on the bunk, supporting herself on one arm as she tilted her head, a curious glint in her eyes. ?You didn?t know??

Mara?s brain raced at lightspeed. Perhaps there was some sort of logical explanation? Of course. Had to be. She just needed to... Reflexively she avoided the question, knowing that about any answer would reveal weakess. ?I don?t make a habit of revealing what my Master has shared with me.? Another Hand?? Her Master couldn?t?couldn?t have?

Mara's never been a big fan of there being other Hands. I wonder just how far this will go toward getting her to rethink everything the Emperor taught her? [face_thinking]

Of course, this also opens the door for both of them to work together.Or as well as they could before the inevitable conflict.

?I am, should we say it ? lent out. My mission answers to Lord Darth Vader and it was his initiative as well. It?s him I?ve been communicating with, those times I?ve had the chance of doing so.?

So Vader could find out about the Emperor's further interest in Luke. Now THAT has potential.

?First reason: he?s far too polite to be probing into people?s minds without a reason. Sweet but stupid of him - practical for us. Second: he?s too naive to think he?d have a reason - unless it?s smacked against his face - and whatever his teacher has taught him it?s not suspicion. Third: at the moment he?s too filled up with his own problems and fears at present to really pay attention to warnings from the Force. Fourth: even if he would suspect someone around to have evil intentions he wouldn?t expect me, for let?s say, ?natural? reasons.?

Dead on target. This is why Luke needs more worldly friends around to keep him out of trouble...err, to keep him from getting into too much trouble.

?That?s all part of the plan. I?m not interested in anyone seeing it. The more odd and insular Luke seems to everyone, the better. But there?s been plenty of progress, believe me. I was in his squad earlier and it took some time before I realized that he?d never sleep with a subordinate, he?s way too dutiful for that. And that low self-esteem of his is a hindrance too - deep down he doesn?t dare to believe that I?m really interested.? Brie shrugged. ?But that?s irrelevant. All the major pieces are in place, just a few details left to finalize.?

?Like his co-operation?? Mara just couldn?t help herself.

Brie bristled at that, her eyes narrowing dangerously. ?I can catch any man anyway I want, Jade, and when I need your advice I?ll tell you.?

Mara?s temper flared, but she was still too much on strange ground to start an argument here and now. That didn?t mean she agreed, though. She glared but kept her voice even. ?He?s a Jedi,? she pointed out. ?They?re not easily fooled.?

Brie shook her head. ?He?s not a Jedi. Not yet.?

It seems they have rather different opinions of what Luke's capable of. Though I think I know which one is more accurate even if she may not be sure of it herself.

?Master," Mara returned petulantly, "I don?t think it?s self-sacrifice at all, I think she finds him attractive.?

?And you don?t, Mara Jade??

[face_laugh] Probably the last person I was expecting to ask her that, but it works. Nicely done.

?No, my Hand. At least, not yet. As things are, you might trip Agent Lumiya up, not that I don?t trust her to be very?skilfull in this aspect. But I want you to start considering the possibility, to start imagining yourself as Skywalker?s mistress. If you are the least attracted to him, he will be able to sense it, and if Agent Brie should fail in regard to the large

23. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jade_eyes
    Hee! the first scene with L/M -- yay! Warmth is building!
    Yup! ;) More than they realize!

The Mara/Shira scene -- Wow!!!!!! Brie a Hand among several.
    Glad you liked. Yeah, I still haven't decided whether some of them will show up later...[face_thinking]

Mara's conversation with the Emperor and her subsequent self-scrutiny and world/self view upheaval -- brilliantly written and a pivotal turning point.
    Thanks! It's definitely THE turning point for Mara. Not that she can see it yet... [face_mischief]

Brie - a better seductress -- bleh.
    You're sure? [face_batting] But Shira has no scruples to worry about...[face_devil]

JediMara77
    Oooh, excellent, wonderful update!

Loved the confrontation between Mara and Shira...it's especially interesting knowing what becomes of both of them in canon. Sigh
    Part of my reason to write this story was exactly to try to explore these two women - together and apart. And I've come so far now that I realy I'm going to need many more stories to get through with it :oops:

You are my most loyal and trusted servant, like a daughter to me since childhood.?

This line made me hiss audibly; I just hate Palpatine so much, and especially after the fic I've been writing, this line got to me. Evil Palpatine, evil
    !!!!!
    Aww, thanks! :D I'm glad I can write evil!
    Uhm - or should I get worried..?[face_worried]

I really love your insights into Mara's connection with Palpatine. And it's nice to see that she has some sense of morality even in what she's ordered to do.
    Palpatine allowed her to keep her moral as an experiment. But having abandoned his own moral so long ago he can't foresee what it will lead to...[face_plain]

Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Be careful what you wish for...o_O

dm1
    I knew it was Shira who set the fire. Interesting conversation between her and Mara.

Mara is beginning to have some doubts, yet she still sent the information on about the spy. Should be interesting how this comes out
    Thanks! Mara has a rocky path ahead of her...

This redheads...Yeah, where does he pick'em up? Wait he doesn't. It's the comic and novel writers who throw them at him...:p

piper057
    kataja posted:
    And that suits Her Highness well. If she could keep Luke from me by sleeping with him behind Solo?s back she would, believe me, but Luke?s too righteous for those kinds of tricks and she knows it. By choosing Solo, the Princess could have them both. That was what she thought anyway.? She lifted her chin casually, not bothering to disguise how pleased she was with herself. ?She can?t stand that I came along and caught his interest. And she knows she?s losing the game.?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh... Never regard people according to your own character.

Tell Shira that. :p But the good thing is that she reveals a lot of herself when doing it [face_whistling]

kataja posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mara?s heart leaped. This was?She had never even dared to hope?

Damn. Poor girl- lost and alone
    Yes, completely. I'm glad you say that excatly in that passage!

Valiowk

So many goodies in this chapter, especially all these new revelations for Mara! As always, I'm simply astounded by the level of detail of each chapter, and the fact that you manage to get new chapters up so quickly!
    Oh, no, no - I don't write quickly. I've been writing on this for ages. It's only beta and final nitpicking that's left... Which is why I have to get properly started with part II...[face_worried]

He had no reason to find her amusing, had

24. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire - Chapter 16

Broken resistance

?I wonder what my old man would say, if he saw me now??

Mara made a vague sound, leaning back on the uncomfortable chair by the bad ? why did medbays always have uncomfortable chairs? - knowing Deena was about to bring the hammer down on her own head. She always did when she got onto the subject of ?her old man.? He was the only thing that could crack her nearly invincible optimism ? but then it was with a vengance.

?He used to say I?ve never been able to stay out of trouble. ?Trouble comes to trouble,? he?d say.? Deena sighed and picked at her bed linen.

?You should stop quoting him,? Mara countered. She was already starting to regret visiting Deena today. Four days after the fire, the Etti girl was exactly well enough to start to get annoying but still too ill to leave the medbay, her nervous system still in an aggravatingly protracted treatment from the polydactylic gas. Too-onebee predicted she would have to stay in the medbay for at least another week.

?It?s not that easy?? Deena stared blankly into the wall for long minutes. ?Not for me anyway... I don?t know how you do it, being so independent and self-reliant. You must have had wonderful, encouraging parents.?

?I never knew my parents,? Mara?s heart almost stopped at her own words. Was she really telling someone about her background? That was a completely new road; she had never, never told anyone about her parents! Not in any of those carefully selected stories that she?d oozed out to Deena had she even once mentioned anything about them. Not that there was much to tell; she hardly knew anything herself.

Deena looked at her with renewed curiosity. ?Why?s that??

Mara shrugged. ?I lost them. When I was very small, I don?t know what happened to them. I was raised by? a man who found me. He knew my parents distantly, I think. I don?t remember them anymore.? She frowned, a wisp of memory nudging the edges of her remembrance. ?I only know that I got my hair color from my mother.?

?Wow! You did? And your eyes?? Deena propped up on an elbow.

?No idea.? Mara bit down, already chiding herself for her slip.

?Haven?t you asked him about them??

?Not really.? Mara shrugged again and crossed her arms over her chest. ?It doesn?t matter anyway. They?re dead now, that?s all I know, so they can?t really do anything about my life anyway. And I don?t owe them anything.?

Deena?s big blue eyes grew even bigger. ?Weell? you owe them your birth.?

?No, I don?t,? Mara snapped. Her annoyance surprised even herself. Deena, as usual, didn?t take the hint, but continued to stare flummoxed at her so Mara felt pressed to continue, her voice going hoarse for reasons she couldn?t pin down. ?Well, even if they loved each other, then my birth was merely a consequence, nothing more, maybe even an accident. I don?t owe them anything. I claim my own destiny. They belong only to the past. Not to my future.?

?Ah.? Deena didn?t look like she really understood, and for once Mara couldn?t blame her. She?d been thinking in those tracks all her life, but she had never talked about it and what had always seemed natural and logical to think, sounded obstinate and hollow and even rehearsed when spoken out.

?I don?t think Luke would agree with you, you know.? Deena sounded thoughtful. ?He never knew his parents either but grew up with his aunt and uncle. He kept asking them about his parents all the time. Unfortunately he hardly ever got any answers. And the ones he got obviously were lies; he found that out later. But he?s doing everything to bring his past with him to his future.?

?Then he?s a fool,? Mara growled. ?He should start living his own life instead of searching for a past that?s long gone.?

That, at least, came out just the way she meant it.

Leaving the medbay, Mara felt like a louse. Here she was visiting Deena to cheer her up - but for whose benefit? Who was she trying to impress? Deena wasn?t her friend.

Or rather, Deena was Mara?s friend - but

25. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    What. An. Update!!!

Loved all three types of interaction you showed: L/M, L/S, and L/L! Your writing keeps getting more and more intense and exciting! Great work!

Looking forward to the next... =D=