main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Queen's Peril (New Padmé book by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Just saw this book in my Amazon suggestion when placing my order for the Rise of Skywalker novelization and I had to place a pre-order for this one as well. I'm very excited to read another book about Padme and her handmaidens. More political exploration and focus on Naboo will also be awesome. I love having another book focused on Padme and the Prequels.[face_dancing]

2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'm behind too. I have a whole wish list on Amazon dedicated to SW so that's how I keep track. I do wonder about your question though. Also, it's only out in HC now, when does it come out for Kindle? Both of her other books are in it.

3. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Will be pre-ordering the Kindle version when it's available and probably the audiobook too, especially if they get Cathrine Taber back for it. I really loved Queens Shadow so I'm really looking forward to this one as well. Among other things, I'm hoping that we learn more about Saché and Yané's time when they were left behind on Naboo during the occupation. The tidbits of information dropped in the first book left me wanting to know more.

4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, all I saw was the HC so am also waiting. Is Queen's Shadow worth getting? I've heard so much mixed opinion on it.

5. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I suppose it really would depend on the sorts of things that interest you. Without spoiling anything I think the best way I could describe it would be a big book of character development and backstory. Basically, here's all the things that happened to Padme between the time she stepped down as Queen, and a certain point early in her senatorial career. here are the people she met, here's how she made the alliances she did, here's what really happened between her and Rush Clovis that we kept teasing in TCW, and here's some of the things she tried to do in that time frame. You learn a lot about the inner workings of the close relationships she has with her handmaidens, who they are, what their own skills and interests are, both as Queen, and as senator, and why they're not just there to be window dressing, and you learn a lot, especially early on, about why her wardrobe is quite a lot more than a fashion statement.

I'm a real sucker for character building and character development, even for it's own sake, so I ate that book up and I regularly re-read it and re-listen to the audio book in the car because I crave knowing what makes characters tick. If you like character development, and had any curiosity at all about how Padme and her inner circle functions and who all these people are as people, you'll probably like it. If you not particularly interested, maybe give it a pass.

Regardless, Queen's Peril sounds to me like, while there is likely to be more character development, there also is very likely to be a bit more action in it than Queen's Shadow had, especially if it's going to deal with the Invasion of Naboo. Day One purchase for me.

Sudooku, Duguay, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    That does sound cool. I'm a fan of character studies so will have to check out Queen's Shadow soon. I have a couple I need to read before then but it'll be next on the to read list.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "Hardcover unavailable" :mad:

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, well, it's not out yet.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not the point I was making - if you are in the US, you can preorder it but that edition is not available at all to preorder here on the UK.

Not even the usual suspects of Wordery or Book Depositor have it to prebuy.

This has only been so with this year's LFL Press YA books. Previously it was easier as the far nicer US hardbacks could be quickly prebought, now it's much harder.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's probably because the UK publisher won't be doing it in HC. I had to get the Queen's Shadow book from Amazon US. The UK site might get some US editions in stock closer to the publication date.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If Egmont had any confidence in their product they wouldn't need to **** with the free market to prevent people buying the competition.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    In the US the HC is available for pre-order, the Kindle version (for some reason) isn't out yet.

13. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I've been checking too. Amazon UK has the listing but as of yet no pre ordering. Amazon US is only £16 but delivery will be faster if the UK site gets some

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance to read this or the previous Padmé book (I already have 10 books on backlog that I need to get through first) but I’m really glad she’s getting more content focused on her. She’s one of my favorite Star Wars characters so it’s nice to see more get done with her beyond the odd appearance in other Star Wars stuff.

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, that's right around where my backlog is at as well - and that's just my Star Wars reading. Maybe with three months or so now until a new novel arrives, I can catch up a bit? Wish me luck...

ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, I have a backlog too, not as much though probably 6. Maybe by the time I'm ready this will be available on Kindle. This will be a SW heavy year though, 2 Thrawn books, Master & Apprentice, Queen's Shadow, etc.

ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Guys, the best way to not have a backlog is to read the books on the day they come out (though I’m probably going to read Chaos Rising before Queen’s Peril because they come out on the same day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    That’s (generally) a solid plan.

My problem is that I tend to buy a bunch of books at once instead of picking up 1 or 2 at a time like a rational person would.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  19. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    UK Hardback pre order on Amazon now live

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Excellent, have bagged. Past precedent says it won't stay available so get the pre-order in quick.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Sounds cool. Does anyone (in the US) know why it isn't available for Kindle preorder yet?

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks - just preordered on the UK site.

For the above poster - I believe Kindle versions of SW books always come a bit later.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    So it would appear the release date has been moved to June 2nd.

Daneira likes this.
  24. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Sheev's lover will be in this now that the date has moved to June 2nd

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Preordered!