main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Neuenhaus

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Thena, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hallo! Vie geht's? :)

I've a question about "Neuenhaus" as a last name. I've been wondering about it because I've a girlfriend whose last name is Neuenhaus but I always felt kind of silly asking her about it. [face_blush]

I used to think the name came from the German for "new house". Later, I found out online about Neuenhaus also being a geographic name for somewhere in Germany. So now I am not sure where the name actually comes from... was it adopted from the place or was it just put together from "neu" and "haus"? Or is there some other origin to this name?

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it could be both, no? i'd think it's 'new' and 'house' put together and it could also denote people who come from that place. it seems both close to the dutch border and the north sea.

generally you cannot always say where names come from. it's too long ago and they have so many different origins.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    my neighbors are named Neuhaus
    /random&unhelpful :p

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    well new house in German would be "neues Haus" right? So it seems more likely to either be archaic German when "neuen" was the right form (if it ever was) or that it was the name of a place.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    As Frared says above, it's hard to say. But maybe it was both. A familie living in a place called "new house" or moved away from that place later, so they got called "Neuenhaus". Of course normally it would be "neues Haus", but during the years this can change to "Neuenhaus".

Do you know if your friend is interested in family history? Maybe she knows a reason or the story that is told about the name. In my view it isn't silly to ask. It just shows your interest. :)

6. Ben_Stormrider

Ben_Stormrider Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2006
    I found this interesting Website and tried to find "Neuenhaus" in Germany. The Name is actually not very often.

Neuenhaus in Germany

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes, I would like to ask her next time I see her. For whatever reason, when we went to school together I wasn't nearly as interested in the German language and German culture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.