main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about SW vs ST...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by tejdog1, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tejdog1

tejdog1 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2008
    When Han says in ANH that the Falcon can make 0.5 past lightspeed, would that be equivalent to Warp 1.5 on the TOS scale? Since I believe Warp 1 is equivalent to light speed, and Warp 2 is twice light speed, etc...strictly speaking on the TOS scale. I don't understand the TNG scale.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    According to Memory Alpha:

According to these publications, the scale used by Starfleet in the 23rd century is based on a geometric progression, where the speed of a vessel (measured in multiples of c, the speed of light) is equal to the cube of the given warp factor. The scale assumes travel through a vacuum with no gravimetric or subspace perturbations. The warp factor was calculated as follows:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/wikitex/images/c/c2/c23/66ea1f4492a953903829c1ed379f21.png]
    with
    v being the speed of the signal or starship
    c being the speed of light (3.0 × 108 m/s) and
    wf being the resulting warp factor
    Or, to calculate speed (v) in terms of c the formula would be:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/wikitex/images/b/bc/bcb/95f02f4e90fb4b7b53f459fcfb8461.png]
    At warp 1, a starship would reach c; at warp 6, it would reach 216 c. This is a much slower speed as initially proposed by Roddenberry.

It's too late for my head to process the math right, but i believe the geometric progression means TOS Warp 1.5 would not be the equal to .5 past lightspeed. With my, likely inaccurate, attempts to calculate that equation, it looks like .5 past lightspeed would be closer to TOS Warp 1.2.

For TNG, accoridng to M-A:

The 24th century scale was created at the start of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Gene Roddenberry stated that he wanted to avoid the ever-increasing warp factors used in the original series to force added tension to the story, and so imposed the limit of warp 10 as infinite speed.
    For warp factors up to 9, the revised formula became:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/wikitex/images/5/5b/5b0/6bf5bc33d1b01831b7bbaf9665e501.png]
    with
    v being the speed of the signal or starship
    c being the speed of light (3.0 × 108 m/s) and
    wf being the resulting warp factor
    Or, to calculate speed in terms of c (up to warp 9), the formula would be:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/wikitex/images/c/c5/c5e/fabf60882d4768a64f485c09af72f1.png]
    In this case, warp 1 is equivalent to c (as it was in the 23rd century scale); warp 6 is approximately 392 c.
    Above warp 9 the exponent was increased above "10/3" exponentially, approaching infinity as the warp factor approaches 10.

I'm not gonna try to calculate that ;)

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    SciFantasy verses SciAdventure. Do there need to be scale comparisons?

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Lazy ftw. The answer is warpfactor 1.1447 :p

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's not a comparable situation because ships in Star Wars travel through Hyperspace while ST ships remain in realspace. While the falcon may be running .5 past light speed...the question is .5 what? Is it half over again? .5 mph past lightspeed? It's vague...and I believe intentionally so...Luke and Obi-wan would understand...the viewer only needed to know it was faster then light.

And while the falcon can traverse the galaxy in a matter of hours/days...the fastest ST ships barely move outside a single quadrant in the ST universe.

Speed is relative to the universe you are in...any comparison of raw ship speed would fail to take such factors into account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.