main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Question about the official novelizationof the OT movies

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by thatsaspacestation, Aug 5, 2019.

1. thatsaspacestation

thatsaspacestation Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2019
    I haven't read any of these books, but I know they include stuff that isn't in the movies. For example does Moff Jerjerrod have a lot of story in the RotJ book.

Is stuff like that made up by the authors, or has Lucas instructed them on what should be in the book other than what we see in the movies?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sometimes what's in the book has been made up by the author, but then "passed" by Lucas after an editing session (RoTS novel). Sometimes it's leftover stuff from early versions of movie scripts. It can be hard to tell which is which.

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Guess most of the additional stuff in the OT novelizations comes from Lucas. Especially the case for ANH and ROTJ.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It might be worth asking the question over in our Lit forum. If there's an existing thread on the question maybe one of the mods can direct you to it.

5. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Haven't studied SW77 or ESB novelizations. ROTJ James Khan has sections of Lucas script word for word, plus some minor filigree to Khan's taste, and usually a bumper lead paragraph where Khan literature-izes Lucas' script block header. There are occasional glimpses where Khan might be going off script, such as segments describing character backgrounds or present motivations. Mon Mothma gets a long (few?) paragraph/s.

sith_rhino and Emperor Ferus like this.
  6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don’t know about the new canon novelizations, but I own all three of them from 1976-83.

Certain descriptions from the old novelizations do contradict the films, such as Obi-Wan, Yoda and Threepio at different times.

I think Lucas had some degree of guidance but there were still plenty of liberties taken by Foster, Glut and Khan.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    The novels are based on the film, however their usually based on certain ideas from the early script of the movie (i.e. Obi Wan telling Like about his duel with Anakin around a volcano during their conversation on Dagobah)

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Obviously as Lucas wrote the stories and scripts for all 6 movies they are all based on that material. Of that material various scenes are cut down or outright deleted. Lucas particularly paid attention to all of them and the author of ROTS indicated that he thought Lucas outright did an edit on that novel. Whether that was to that degree for the others we don't know.

Much like the way he worked with the movies he give parameters for the authors, let's them do what they want to within that in regards to the story and script then if he's OK with it then he won't say anything but if he wants changes he'll say so though not necessarily to the authors themselves but with the editors.

I suspect that he was more in contact with the authors during the OT days. Certainly that was the case with ADF for ANH since they also did Splinter of the Mind's Eye together and had story conferences.

9. thatsaspacestation

thatsaspacestation Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2019
    So the details and stories that are not in the movies (like Jerjerrod story in RotJ) was at some point concidered canon på Lucas?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly. Difficult to know for certain in some cases.