main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints and Everything Else: Ep. IX: To Infinity, and Beyond!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    hey all...been MIA for awhile. Been taking care of stuff.
    Hope all are well....

JR, just got message. THANKS! I'm doin good.
    Hello to all the "newbies"...[face_peace]

2. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    SJ
    Great! I'm glad to see you're still around.

On a different subject. I just realized I'm wearing two different colored socks. Damn my dimly lit rooms.

3. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, SJ, nice to "see" you again!

4. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    How did that pass the wife inspection?

5. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Okay, so there are a bunch of IT hooligans down the hall from me, and we share a "pantry" here at the office. They never put a cold soda in when they take one out. They drink all of our good coffee, or rather, they'll make pot after pot of it and have a couple of cups but waste the rest (WE pay for the coffee). Finally, they eat and then leave their dirty disgusting dishes all over the place. Yes they are all "grown" men, but apparently they must all still live with mommy, because they act like someone is supposed to be catering to their every whim!

[face_frustrated]

6. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Oh man, you think thats bad. There are 30 programers in my building who after a meeting will go in a raid it for the leftoevers. Like banshees charging down from a hill.

7. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    My wife is the one who matched my socks up! To all you women out there, yes I do the laundry some times too.

8. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Sounds like rebel scum to me. (See In-Joke Theatre).

I think they do it because then know they will get away with it. I firmly believe that things like communal office kitchens will bring out the worst in people (not only men) unless you put the k'bosh on it ahora mismo (right now). If you dare, try locking up the coffee until it's time for the people who pay for it. Send out a memo & put up signs that only people who pay for coffee are entitled to it. Put signs up in the kitchen, too, warning about the coffee and the dirty dishes. Take their dirty dishes and put them on their desks or throw them out by the end of the day. Do it once or twice & they'll get the hint. (But, remember, any but the very neatest of us will forget now and again.)

9. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    SJ! Welcome back!

Our communal kitchen situation has improved a bit. We now share the floor with a bunch of environmental people and they've brought dish detergent, scrubbers, dish towels, a dish rack, salt and pepper shakers, and stuff like that. There's even hand lotion in the bathroom. I don't use any of their stuff though because I have my own stuff but it's much nicer.

JR, don't blame YG.

We've got those fancy schmancy "windy" lightbulbs that are supposed to last forever. The problem is they cast a yellow glow rather than a whitish one (I know, it's not so glaring now). Mr. DH complains that it's too dim now.

10. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    To stop my coworkers from stealing pens off my desk at work I wrote them all an email telling them that I stuck my pens in places they wouldn't want to touch. They wrote back saying they would never touch my pens again.

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Ha! Ha! And yet, ewwwww! [face_sick]

12. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Okay, today tops it all: my leftover soup went missing after only 2 hours in the fridge! What?? It was obviously leftovers, yet still it was stolen. Oy!

13. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I had to have a floor to ceiling metal CAGE erected in my department in order to stop all the station theft. It looks exactly like a prison cell so I've promoted my employee to the position of station warden. We had DVD sets, sweatshirts, CDs, etc. all walk out on their own. Grew legs and decided to take a hike. And someone used our microwave during the night, exploded a TV dinner all over the inside, and left it for us to clean up. Coincidentally, someone in another building had her Weight Watchers TV dinners go missing at about the same time. Honest, ask DW who is supposed to be in SECURITY. The microwave now shares a spot inside the cage jail with our plush Elmos and Motown DVD sets.

14. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Why is theft at work so big? I didn't realize that someone would even think about stealing someone's leftover soup. Now I could see all that merchandise leaving JN. At Sony the security blames janitorial and janitorial blames security. My money is on security as the theives. In JB's case we know it is.

15. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
  16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm so there! I went to a Trek one many years ago and it was cool. It was at a children's museum and there were all sorts of simple experiments for kids to do.

17. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    My experience is that it's usually a guy and he's usually a VP or something. It's hardly ever people who really can't afford to buy their own lunch. A friend of mine once worked in an office where the problem was sooo bad she put something nasty (but nonlethal) into a tasty looking sandwich just to catch the poodoo head. She did. The problem ceased.

18. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    1.) The California ScienCenter rocks. I went there for Body Worlds and the permanent exhibits were pretty fun too. Growing up, the original Museum of Science and Industry was pretty awesome too. And the whole Exposition Park complex is worth a whole day's exploration.

2.) Having said that, it's going to Portland Oregon before it hits us. I have a bunch of friends living there and I haven't visited them in ages. Dilemma dilemma...

Exciting! Thanks for the heads-up! Although you can bet that if admission is $20 in Boston it's going to be more expen$$$ive in LA.

19. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    That exhibit looks like it will be a lot of fun.

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Oregon?! Who wants to go to Oregon? There's nothing there! [face_whistling]

21. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Trees. Trees are nice.

22. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Great! Now you made Bubba Cry.

[face_shame_on_you]

23. DarthMommy

DarthMommy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    I just went there and the trees are nice. So was the mall and other real city stuff. They even had a movie theater!

I have to throw this out there. When you were in elementary school what did you eat in the cafeteria (before you realized it was actually gross) & what was in your lunch bag? I enjoyed the grilled cheese and pizza "with meat and cheese". PB & J was standard for me and I liked string cheese. White milk was 8 cents and chocolate was 10. When I bought white I had to put the 2 pennies change in my sock. Come on, give me a story.

24. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    My high school cafeteria had these Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies that they would put under a heat lamp and sell all day, in case you wanted a snack during study hall or something. They also had healthy stuff, but no one cared about that! I did theatre, and when we'd have a matinee for the elementary school kids, everyone in the cast and crew got out of class to perform. But we weren't supposed to leave the stage/backstage areas (they didn't want us running through the halls distracting everyone else still in class.) We also weren't supposed to eat or drink while in costume, lest we spill something on the dresses. We'd always sneak down to the cafeteria, though, and buy cookies. I don't know why the lunch ladies let us get away with it. They could have easily ratted us out so many times. It's not like we could pretend we weren't in a play, standing there in 1800s-style clothes and stage makeup. I guess the lunch ladies at my school were just really cool that way.

Gosh now I am hungry for those cookies!

25. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Little Charlies Pizza's. They were a buck and heated by a heat lamp. They made me the man I am today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.