main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread - Note on first post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinn is MINE, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    VaderLVR64: :_| :_| :_| :_|. While I was reading it I kept thinking, "I hope it's Anakin. I hope it's Anakin. It sounds like Anakin. I hope it's Anakin It can't be Obi-Wat." But alas, it was. Poor Qui-Gon. Losing Obi-Wan that way is just so sad. The first person narrative really flowed so nicely.

Ara-gon:[face_laugh] Speaking as someone with long hair, yes, work smarter. Qui-Gon has to know something about hair care! Yes, he uses product on that lovely mane.

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    VaderLVR64 - I also kept thinking it can't be Obi-Wan, it's got to be Xanatos and then we find out in the end that it's Obi indeed. NOOOOOO.:_| I loved how you described the way Obi-Wan was thinking about their relationship and where it went wrong and then how Qui-Gon died like that. Very vivid! Great job with this. Really surprised me with the ending.

Ara-gon LOL on the long hair and all the hair products. I loved how Obi-Wan described both of their hair problems and how he didn't know how to fix his own shorter hair. Plus his musing about how the longer hair was so unconventional and should be shortened - for Qui-Gon's own sake. LOL. Loved that Qui-Gon had enough experience to know what hair care products to use. Great job. [face_laugh]

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lost Soul: Whoa!!! :eek: What on earth possessed Obi-Wan to leave the Order and why did he find the need to strike like that? So very, very tragic. :_| :_|

Work Smarter: This is the perfect foil for the previous fic. I love that all the while Obi-Wan is thinking that his master would be haiving so much more touble, possibly to the point of finally cutting his hair, that Qui-Gon comes out of the shower all fresh and relaxed and uses hair products. Hysterical!!!

4. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm in the mood for something short...

Title: Chosen One
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, stories
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, lightsaber
    Notes: Even with all this talk of killing Qui-Gon I don?t think that this quite counts for killing him since he?s still breathing on some plane of reality.

The red lightsaber thrust into his chest. It slid in so easily. The incredible pain flared and died in an instant as the red energy severed his spine. The evil, yellow-eyed Sith, triumphant, withdrew his weapon, leaving him standing for a moment before he fell to his knees, dying...

...he caught himself and rolled, evading the Sith Lord?s lightsaber. Darkness shrouded everything. Sith lightning came at him from the Dark Lord and Qui-Gon barely got his lightsaber up in time to deflect it; his whole mind pushed back at the phenomenal power trying to kill him. How could they have been so blind, that the whole Jedi Order hadn?t seen this in their midst? His former Padawan stood transfixed by the confrontation, caught between aiding his Master and...what? Qui-Gon realized that he was doubly blind, not realizing that a Sith had befriended his Padawan until now. Now, a powerful Jedi, he finally decided; his lightsaber cut off Qui-Gon?s arm. The Sith renewed his attack on the defenseless Jedi Master. Qui-Gon toppled from a high place, crying out as he fell...

?...No!? His impetuous Padawan rushed his former Master. Qui-Gon Jinn pushed aside the betrayal, the sense of loss at the realization of Dooku?s fall. Lightning flashed from Dooku?s raised hands, lifting up his apprentice and striking him down, leaving Qui-Gon alone to face his former Master. The battle was short. Qui-Gon easily blocked the lightning with his saber, but Dooku soon had him cornered with his lightsaber. The power of the dark side filled the room. First one cut to the arm, then another to the leg disabled him. He lay on the ground as Dooku uttered insincere regrets over him before raising his weapon one last time...

...He blocked with his lightsaber. He fought in a line of other Jedi, his green saber repelling the blaster bolts of a colossal droid army in a dusty orange arena. They had never imagined that there would be so many. Twenty different droids focused their fire on him; inevitably a bolt got through, destroying one knee; he went down, his saber going out...

...a lightsaber...

...a blaster...

...a lightsaber..

...a lightsaber...

Qui-Gon stared up at the low cave ceiling. His light cast long, black shadows over the rock from where he had dropped it. It was so low that he?d had to stoop, but this was the place he needed to be, he?d felt it. The rough ground under him was very, very cold. His body shivered violently, his teeth chattering. Panicked Qui-Gon tried to draw the Force to himself for warmth, but it didn?t come. His breath came too quickly, clouds of it condensed in the air above him. His hands clenched on the new lightsaber in his hand. He lifted it up; light glinted from the silver emitter shroud. His hand trembled. He remembered building it, in this cave on Ilum, before the visions had taken him.

Then, young Qui-Gon Jinn died.

He lay, unmoving, his arms and legs still convulsed, his hand clutched tightly on the new lightsaber; his body cooled.

The Force came to him.

He felt it?s unknowable flows pushing him back together from a thousand fragmented deaths. In every possibility, he saw himself dying violently, in the midst of a clash between the dark and light sides of the Force. Sometimes he was crushed by the first emergence of the dark; sometimes he was struck down at the peak of it?s rising. Sometimes he the Chosen One at the pivot point between power and peace. Sometimes it was someone else. The power of the light and dark rose and fell in succession, the balance of the Force tilting wildly.

Every death was real and the ripples from them sp

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, that was really cool. I loved how he kept dying, phasing in and out and always dying and living again. Boy, that would confuse anyone.

Great job.

Okay, I posted my Kill Jinn challenge Jedi Scum It was a darn hard thing to do, mainly because I didn't like the main character. Oh, well.

Ah, and this is a reminder. If you post your story in its own thread, be sure to put a link in this thread so that we have a way of knowing you did your challenge. Thanks.

6. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Very cool ardavenport. :cool:

So hard to view his dead over and over. (No doubt for him as well. ;) )

I will live again, Qui-Gon thought. I will always die and live again.

In the end he was right again.

7. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    KILL Jinn! Our latest challenge. He can be any age, any genre. But he has to die in the story. Not a dream or a mistake or a clone double - the actual Qui-Gon Jinn! Buys the farm, kicks the bucket, flys off to Valhalla, rides the big bantha to the ranch in the sky. Going, going, gone!

Title: What Are You Smiling About?
    Timeframe: Saga, post-TPM, AU
    Characters: Palpatine/Sidius, Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Genre: drama, Kill Jinn Challenge
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Dooku, Palpatine, Sidius, kill Jinn Challenge
    Summary: Qui-Gon looks for refuge when the Jedi Council denies his request to train Anakin
    Note: Such a fiendish challenge?but I honestly think that this is a very likely scenario for Qui-Gon should he have survived the Battle of Naboo. Palpatine really had the deck stacked thoroughly against the Jedi. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.

Title: Lost Soul
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Genre: drama, AU
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, betrayal
    Summary: Qui-Gon meets an old mistake and pays for it.
    Note: Written for the Kill Jinn Challenge.

Title: Chosen One
    Genre: drama, stories
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, lightsaber
    Summary: Qui-Gon dies more than once.
    Note: Even with all this talk of killing Qui-Gon I don?t think that this quite counts for killing him since he?s still breathing on some plane of reality.

Title: Jedi Scum
    Author: dianethx
    Timeframe: TPM
    Characters: Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker
    Genre: AU, drama, vignette
    Keywords: torture
    Summary: Supreme Chancellor Palpatine is not amused that Qui-Gon Jinn survived Maul's attacks. But he has more important things to think about, like how to get his hands on the Chosen One before the Jedi steal him away.
    Note: For the Kill Jinn Challenge. I'm playing with first person POV. Palpatine is not very nice.

Title: Drabble - The Gimer Stick Strikes back
    Author: dianethx
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM
    Characters: Yoda, OCs
    Genre: sort-of humor
    Keywords: gimer stick
    Summary: Yoda's gimer stick is more than just a cane.
    Note: For the dead Jinn Challenge. Inspired by ardavenport's quip, after finding out that Yoda has been the hidden Sith Lord all along?

Title: Eternity
    Author: LuvEwan
    Timeframe: post-TPM
    Genre: drama, angst
    Keywords: old man
    Summary: Qui-Gon dies an old man but his former Padawan was by his side when he did. Reluctant warrior and guiding star.

Title: What It Was
    Author: Ara-Gon
    Timeframe: pre-TPM, AU
    Genre: introspection, angst
    Keywords: old man, terminal
    Summary: He dies. That's all I'm saying.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely, ardavenport! =D=

He felt it?s unknowable flows pushing him back together from a thousand fragmented deaths. In every possibility, he saw himself dying violently, in the midst of a clash between the dark and light sides of the Force. Sometimes he was crushed by the first emergence of the dark; something he was struck down at the peak of it?s rising. Sometimes he the Chosen One at the pivot point between power and peace. Sometimes it was someone else. The power of the light and dark rose and fell in succession, the balance of the Force tilting wildly.

Every death was real and the ripples from them spread out from each reality, connecting to all the others at once, forming an inescapable path toward meaningless carnage, pushing him beyond where dark and light had sundered.

That was my favorite section! =D=

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Drabble - The Gimer Stick Strikes back
    author: dianethx
    Summary: Yoda's gimer stick is more than just a cane.
    Genre: sort-of humor
    Characters: Yoda, OCs
    Notes: For the dead Jinn Challenge. Inspired by ardavenport's quip, after finding out that Yoda has been the hidden Sith Lord all along?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The gimer stick has struck again."

"It can't be."

"Believe it. Qui-Gon Jinn tripped on the stairway and fell chest-first into the old troll's cane. One instant, he was alive; the next...."

"Dead?"

"Third one this week. I wonder about Yoda. You don't think he's..."

"Insane? Murdering people?"

"Nah, they were clumsy."

"With three dead? Not a chance. Sith Lord, maybe?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not....... argggghhhhh."

Dead Jedi lay at the Sith's feet, skewered through with his ever-lethal gimer stick. "Ridiculous it is not. Hummmm, two in one blow. Good job but try for three next time, I will."

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Hilarious, dianethx! [face_laugh] Just what I needed! :D

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, you really don't like Yoda! [face_laugh] He would make a dangerous Sith-under-foot.

Poor, poor Qui-Gon.:( Tripping over Yoda's stick...how embarrassing. [face_blush]

12. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Ardavenport, dianethx, and Leona, Thanks for reading. [:D] It's nice to know that my attempt at humor met with some success!

Chosen One: Now that's like a Jedi nightmare version of Groundhog Day!

The Gimer Stick That Strikes Back: LOL! But hardly a death worthy of Jinn, even if Yoda is a Sith Lord!

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ara-gon: Ground-hog day for Jedi...I hadn't thought of that, since I meant all the deaths to be different. But what interesting trials that would be for Jedi, to repeat a task over and over until they get it right. Perhaps the 'trials' are sometimes like that? Perhaps that's why the 'trials' are plural? [face_mischief]

Links, links, links....Ooops, I thought I put a link here. I posted my broken-nose challenge in a separate thread, The Moment because it just got too long.

14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I was suggested by dianethx that I put my Qui-gon haiku here. I wrote it a few months ago along with a host of haikus for our favorite Saga and Eu characters. If interested in more, check out my profile.

Qui Gon-Jinn

Living on the edge
    Rebellious of convention
    Found the chosen one.

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the living on the edge. That really resonates because he is living on the edge as a rebel and living on the edge just before the long slow slide of the Jedi into oblivion. Great job.

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ah, yes, good Qui-ku. He is such a rebel.[face_mischief]

17. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Drabble - The Gimer Stick Strikes back
    [face_laugh] Very funny!!! Couldn't stop laughing! [face_laugh]

"Ridiculous it is not. Hummmm, two in one blow. Good job but try for three next time, I will."
    [face_shame_on_you] Do or do not, there is no try!!! [face_shame_on_you] ;)

18. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ha!!! Diane, that's deliciously funny!

19. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    ardavenport 'Like The Force' was incredibly powerful, the way they try to shield the younger Jedi from killing, but eventually Qui-Gon cannot be sheltered from it anymore. Amazing that you conveyed such emotion in a mere 100 words. =D= 'Not Dead Jinn' was glorious, of course. :D And your last response had an almost mystical quality to it, I thought. It all flowed together so beautifully, leading to that unexpected ending. Wonderful job, as always. =D=

VL I thought for sure it was going to be Anakin! :eek: Very sneaky, very sleek and very lovely. The extent of your talent never fails to amaze. :)

Ara-gon That was so cute. [face_laugh] Obi-Wan should certainly soak in his Master's wisdom, especially in this case. I love reading stories about aspects of their lives that aren't usually focused on. ;)

diane [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I guess this sort of balances out the evil thing you wrote in Saga. [face_laugh]

Eternity
    by LuvEwan

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me.

--

Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end. ~Author Unknown

--

Qui-Gon leaned against the pillar, crossing his arms over his chest as the early afternoon wind swept through. Leaves scattered, petals floated, branches trembled. But he felt solid, like his bones were stone inside him, and his feet were so firmly planted the strongest gale couldn?t sway him. A strand of hair suddenly slapped over his eyes; he calmly smoothed it behind his ear. He watched the world flourish outside the balcony, in shades so deep and bright they pierced through the fragile flesh of his heart. The light streamed from behind the mountains, trailing from the lavender pinnacles to the grasses below, settling warmth on his upturned face.

He felt the Force swell in that radiance, every particle vibrating and breathing and thriving. His eyes slipped shut. He could still see the sun, in tiny swarms spotted across his mind?s darkness, converging until the light was everywhere, and so beautiful he felt the hurt again.

?Master.?

His eyes opened.

Through the darkness, he saw the silhouette of the face, the edges of which were a luminous azure. The features were set sternly, mouth compressed and eyes focused on his folded hands.

Even in the unadulterated black, Obi-Wan was a flame of intensity, albeit controlled and composed. His fire came in the quiet moments like this one, when he was unaware of the weight of another?s gaze. Qui-Gon saw the subtle tightening of muscle at the forearms, the clench of jaw.

The dust in the air was nearly star-like, as it drifted through empty shadow, kindling some secret luminosity. There were so many of them, the soft, fragile sparks, but not enough to represent all that he was thinking of, the words that longed to leave his dried out mouth. He turned his head on the pillow, which was saturated with a new layer of sick-sweat. Obi-Wan sensed his movement, of course.

The younger man immediately lurched forward, forgetting the severe appraisal of his pale palms and digits, disappearing into the seamless mold of single-minded caretaker. ?How are you feeling??

Qui-Gon sighed, smiling. The wind, achingly tender, teased the bristles on his chin. ?If there were a way to capture a sliver of time, and live only in that sliver??

But Obi-Wan shook his head. ?That isn?t possible. Why even think it??

The Master took in his Padawan, clad in a cream lounging robe, standing on the rough mosaic floor in his bare feet. There was a definite conviction to what Obi-Wan had said, he was too much of a realist not to have said it, but beneath that was a silent welling of sadness. Even Obi-Wan entertained silly fantasies, the same ridiculous, fly-away notions that he often accused his mentor of possessing.

?Because,? Qui-Gon replied lazily, tilting more heavily against the cool alabaster, ?I must think it.?

?I must think there is something

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely and sad and heartbreaking and yet very fulfilling. I loved that Qui-Gon ended his days with Obi-Wan, not dying in agony but going gently into that good night. I loved that Obi-Wan was trying to hold on to him even though they both knew it was not to be. Loved the flashbacks. Gave it more poignancy even as the memories balanced what was going on in the now of the story.

Great job, LE. =D=

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    ?You?ve become cynical in your advanced age. You don?t know how to close your eyes??

Obi-Wan did close them, with a faint smirk.

?Now, what do you see??

?What else, but you?? The old sorrow burned in Obi-Wan?s chest; his head bowed deeper.

Aaaaaah, this is wonderfully surreal and poetic, like they're in some small isolated world where the two of them define the reality they're in. Very nice and very sad.=D=

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    So sad, but also beautiful and much better than canon. :_|

?Now, what do you see??

?What else, but you?? The old sorrow burned in Obi-Wan?s chest; his head bowed deeper.

A strong hand, glowing blue and gently ethereal, lifted his chin.

Qui-Gon smiled, rubbing his thumb down Obi-Wan?s cheek, unable to wipe away the tears there. ?Then we are together after all. In our minds, always. And in the Force, even longer.?

Absolutely gorgeous, LE! =D=

23. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Oh dear...so much to catch up on, bad me, but DRL has been a sith lately.

I'm (slowly!)reading and enjoying every one of these wonderful fics =D= .

I did have a little something for the kill Jinn challenge but it's fallen by the way for now.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    A new month and a new challenge.

Bed Challenge - The birds are singing, the light is shining, somewhere it's morning... However, Qui-Gon's in bed and it's time to get up. How'd he get there? Where is he? Is anyone with him? Is he a grumpy lump or does he jump out of bed singing? We want to know.

Okay, I know this is a weird one but work with me people. :D

25. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Bed Challenge - The birds are singing, the light is shining, somewhere it's morning... However, Qui-Gon's in bed and it's time to get up. How'd he get there? Where is he? Is anyone with him? Is he a grumpy lump or does he jump out of bed singing? We want to know.

Title: Morning Person
    Author: DarthIshtar
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Senator Noela Ovorp
    Genre: humor
    Keywords: bed, jaunty tune
    Summary: Qui-Gon is not happy to be gotten out of bed at 4 in the morning. What's worse is that someone is singing this early.

Title: Oblivion
    Author: micky-nikki
    Timeframe: pre-TPM
    Genre: drama
    Keywords: Xanatos, bed
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn isn't taking Xanatos's betrayal well. He is hiding from everyone, even himself.

Title: Nameless
    Author: LuvEwan
    Genre: drama, angst
    Keywords: heat
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are having disagreements but Qui-Gon's disquiet is more than just the heat.

Title: Awakening
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Lenora Jinn (OC)
    Genre: drama
    Keywords: Mama
    Summary: Lenora has finally reunited with her son, Qui-Gon. She watches him sleep, remembering.
    Note: Lenora and Amri-Lon belong to the talented Vadey. This part is a snippet out of '...Elysia.'

Title: Out of Bed
    Author: Kestrel_Kenobi
    Timeframe: Qui is about six.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Lola Rivenel (OC)
    Genre: vignette
    Keywords: Force
    Summary: Young Qui-Gon loves to greet the day, way before anyone else is awake.
    Note: Written for the Qui-Gon ?bed challenge?. Thank as always to Nienna - the best beta I could ask for!

Title: Bed Balls
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, OC
    Genre: humor, Qui-Gon Jinn bed challenge
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, bed, balls, Jedi
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn gets up in a strange bed with a strange roommate.
    Note: Yeah, I know what you?re thinking. So, don?t even go there?at least not on this forum. It?s strictly G-rated. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.