main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread - Note on first post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinn is MINE, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Dead Qui-Gon Challenge Index
    Write a story about Qui-Gon and his consciousness in the afterlife. It can be any era, any situation
    Authors - If you need me to change anything, please let me (dianethx) know.

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19658520&start=21386586] Talking to the Sky[/link]
    Author: kateydidnt
    Timeframe:
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Yoda
    Genre: drama, angst
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn begins to teach the Jedi how to remain connected even after death.
    Note: Written for the ghostie Qui Challenge

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19658520&start=21498542]Like A Restless Wind [/link]
    Author: LuvEwan
    Timeframe: Post-ROTS
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker
    Genre: angst, drama
    Summary: With an unmatched darkness descended, and life reduced to solitary duty, there are still lessons to be learned?and, perhaps, even wounds to be healed.
    Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Title taken from the song ?Across the Universe?, by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. This does not follow ?The Last of the Jedi? storylines.

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/19658520/p8] For the Father [/link]
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: post-ROTS
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Genre: drama, angst
    Summary: Qui-Gon tries to reassure Obi-Wan that he still has a heart left after Anakin's betrayal.
    Note: Written for the ghostie Qui Challenge

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=19658520&brd=10475&start=23186538] Dead Jedi Training [/link]
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: Saga, Yoda, Qui-Gon
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and Yoda
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda, Dagobah
    Genre: Humor
    Summary: Yoda, the Padawan

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Vadey, that was just so beautiful. I loved Qui-Gon's presence there - and that Luke could see him. Cute Luke! And then Obi-Wan denying that he really does care for Luke, and his pain, still raw at Anakin's betrayal. And then the final lines...:_| Wonderful, wonderful work. =D=

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Qui-Gon waved in delight and the boy?s dimpled fingers moved in greeting. Luke chortled, his eyes fixed on Qui-Gon. Surely the boy could not see him. Perhaps he sensed him then, sensed him in the Force.

How sweet. Babies are always looking at things the rest of us can't see. :)

That was beautiful, VL.

You don?t need to guard your heart against him, Padawan mine,? Qui-Gon admonished gently.

Haunted eyes, oceans of pain and betrayal, stared out of the shadowed hood. He smiled sadly, ?You?re right, there is no need to guard my heart against that baby,? he said quietly. ?My heart was destroyed on Mustafar; it troubles me no longer.?

Qui-Gon sighed deeply. ?If you keep telling yourself that long enough, it might come to pass.?

?Then I shall live for that day,? Obi-Wan replied in a tight voice.

?Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon?s voice was a warning.

Obi-Wan turned his face away from his Master and toward the small farm down below. ?I shall look over Luke,? he murmured. ?I shall train him when the time is right and I shall give him the skills he needs to defeat Vader and the Emperor.? Then he looked at Qui-Gon and his jaw clenched. ?But do not ask me to love him, for I cannot bear to do so.?

Qui-Gon laid a hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder, but it felt no more substantial than the brush of a bird?s feathers.

?I know you, my Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon whispered. ?You cannot help but give your heart. It is too big, too generous to be contained within you.?

I felt such envy and awe when I read that. Unbelievably good! =D=

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

He stood up and gathered the folds of his cloak around him. ?I love you,? he murmured. ?I shall love you for the father who could not.?

Obi-Wan turned and made his lonely trek over the sands, feeling the weight of Qui-Gon?s approving stare as he walked.

Awwwww... wonderful wonderful...another marvelous vig Kim!

5. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    *happy sigh* All of these were wonderful.

kateydidnt,Loved that Obi-Wan preferred talking to the sky to seeing the face of his master... I can just imagine him sprawled out on the sand, conversing with the clouds.

LE, that was absolutely intense. Wow. In fact, thinking about that story, I'm too brain-dead to write the rest of this comment! Guess I'll be back later to babble some more...

6. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Time for a new challenge. It has been a while....

Mushy Qui-Gon Challenge Write a story about Qui-Gon and mush. You know you want to. [face_love] It can be any era, any situation
    Starts Starts Oct 7.

7. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    The Sound of Music
    The soft hum of an instrument wound its way around his ears; Anakin froze, entranced by the sheer sweetness of the tune. It rose and ebbed, and meandered its way through his mind, numbing his senses. He sank down into a kneeling position, heart melting at the sheer beauty of it.

There were no words to accompany it; yet he knew what it was?the music of the sand-dunes he had heard so often on his home planet. There, he realized, he had heard merely the bare bones of it, devoid and denuded of any special nuance?he had thought that beautiful. This, however?he felt tears start to his eyes as a particularly sweet note crept its way into his heart. In one instant, his heart climbed the edges of ecstasy, in the next, it plunged into the depths of despair. He wanted it to stop; he wanted it to go on forever. It was beautiful?it was paradise. Were there something that described the celestial home of the angels on the Moon of Iego, this was it.

I was listening to "Spirit Flutes" while I read this. It was the track called "among the Heavens". It brought this passage to life, like I was there with Qui and Anakin. replayed the music after I read the story, only this time with my eyes closed and could see what Anakin saw and it brough a tear to my eyes also.

Well done! =D=

8. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Wow. I'm glad the music brought it alive for you. And that the story stayed with you too. An author couldn't ask for more. Thanks so much! [:D]

*must now go think something for Qui-Mush challenge*

9. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Moving Closer
    By LuvEwan

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me.

*This is a follow-up to the Obi/Qui/Ani challenge response [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/19658520/p3]Pushing Back[/link] posted under a sock name. It can be read as a stand-alone as well. Not sure how much of it is mush and how much is angst, but oh well.

()

He tested the water first, before dipping in the cloth. It was warm, but not to a temperature that would flush the skin. It did need to be warm, that was certain.

His apprentice was shivering.

But no?no?he corrected himself instantly; sharp as a stinging slap, this was not his apprentice. Time and separation and the irrepressible forward momentum of life had stolen the title from the quietly cold form before him. In the official documents, Obi-Wan Kenobi was not the Padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn. Until recently, Obi-Wan Kenobi had been listed in the Tempe Memorial as a fatality in a ship explosion. The young man had been banished to bittersweet memory in the minds of those who had cared about him. Even his own teacher had left him in the past, it would appear, taking a new student and embarking on countless missions that took him from one edge of the galaxy to the other.

Qui-Gon paused, his hand half-submerged in the bowl. I never looked for him. The rational voice, the prevailing one within his head, insisted that it would have been ridiculous to search for someone who had been reduced to ash among molten rubble. It had been hard enough to recover from Obi-Wan?s death. To have chased a ghost through the emptiness of space would have been forfeiting his sanity.

So he let go of the person who had possessed his whole heart and his every hour. He reverently placed the scarce belongings of his slain protégé in his closet, and only looked at them when the swell of ache inside him was threatening to overwhelm his shattered excuse for existence. He remained Jedi, despite the urge to abandon the Order--the compulsion that seeped into the unguarded thoughts that came when he stood in the barren doorway of Obi-Wan?s old room. And yes, he freed the slave boy Anakin Skywalker, and accepted him as his Padawan. He even came to laugh again, without hearing the phantom chuckles of Obi-Wan layered within the sound.

Now he sat in the amber-tinged light of evening, watching how the illumination poured softly over the otherwise jagged line of Obi-Wan?s cheekbone, and he found himself battling the hot approach of tears. Gods, how did I ever laugh, or smile?or breathe without you?

Obi-Wan merely looked at him with eyes that refused to settle in either aquamarine or emerald; they constantly shifted, the light catching facets of gray and azure and jade and-too often-the pulpy tangle of red veins. The skin surrounding those uproarious/calm eyes appeared to be stained a ruddy purple, as though the weariness of the body was permanent.

Perhaps it was.

For about the thousandth time today, his mind was pulled towards the dark pit in which the truth of his apprentice?s twelve-year disappearance lurked. Nearly two months had passed since Qui-Gon was catapulted from sleep to discover a disheveled, bloody figure trying to squeeze the life out of a wide-eyed Anakin. That in itself was a soul-rumbling shock, but when he had confronted the attacker, he was not met with an anonymous set of features, but the face that had scorched itself in his memory. The ire had drained from him completely, replaced by surprise and confusion and the flooding sensation of unequaled joy. His Obi-Wan did not meld with the motes of conflagration on an alien world, alone and screaming, as the Master had envisioned. He was alive, and glorious Force, he had come home. Suddenly Qui-Gon?s universe had expanded in Light, yet narrowed to focus on the miraculous young man returned to him. He was like a parched creature at last given the sweet replenishment of water, and he drank, and he relished every drop that was every second he could gaze at Obi-Wan, knowing that it wasn?t another cruel

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    OH, that was scary and incredibly sad and mushy somewhat. I felt so bad for Qui-Gon for being so focused on Obi-Wan that he is ignoring Anakin's concerns. I feel bad for Anakin that he can't get Qui-Gon to listen to reason. I feel bad for Obi-Wan that he would have suffered so much that he can't get beyond "Master". Of course, the language was lovely but the images you evoked with your words were very intense. Great job. Are we going to see any more of this story? You can't just leave it there!

11. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Whoa, LuvEwan... whoa. Sounds like Obi-Wan is actually getting more dangerous. And Ani more resentful. Qui-Gon and his two emotional blind spots in one room, makes for some very explosive mush!

EDIT: *imagines oatmeal boiling over* OK, that is not what I meant by "explosive mush"...

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Whoa! ]-} LE! That was... Well, that was incredible! Bravo! =D=

13. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh man... a piggy back to that other one! I'm glad you expanded it! [face_dancing] Poor Anakin...doesn't understand, but he needs to realize it though. And the Council *sigh* jeez...typical.

Loved the mush! [face_love] Qui being so fatherly to Obi!! Poor Obi not being able to say nothing more than 'Master'.

Wonderful job!

(edit: Gotta catch up on them other stories... man didn't realize how much further you guys have gotten on this thread! [face_blush])

14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    My dear, that was beautiful, as always. Qui-Gon is so caring, trying to banish the ghosts of the past, and his apprentice's obvious injuries tear at him - and Anakin, who's all left out, now - saying he'll never recover :mad: .

Wonderful, wonderful. =D=

15. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    by the way, why isn't my ghostie Qui-Gon story in the listing for that challenge?

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    kateydidnt Because I probably missed it by mistake. I'll fix it tonight when I get home. Thanks for letting me know.

I can only blame it on the meds - I was doing the broken leg thing and wasn't always as focused as I could have been. [face_blush]

And anyone who finds a mistake in the indexes, please let me know! Sometimes I miss things.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So he let go of the person who had possessed his whole heart and his every hour. He reverently placed the scarce belongings of his slain protégé in his closet, and only looked at them when the swell of ache inside him was threatening to overwhelm his shattered excuse for existence.

Oh my, your words can so easily reduce me to tears. The descioption of OBi-Wan eating... so very sad.

?Why does he need your help, Master??

While I understand Anakin's possessiveness, Obi-Wan does need Qui-Gon to help gound him.

Brilliant as always... and creepy!!

18. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Do I even need to say that I loved this very, very, very much? It was heartbreaking and creepy and very, very sweet. I felt bad for all three of them, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin. Poor little chosen one is going to feel a mite ignored, methinks.

I long for more! Write a series! Please please please please please!

19. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Ok, I'm finally caught up here I think. I'm too dazed to come up with proper individual responses. Everyone's work was just AMAZING! as usual. =D=

Hummmm mushy-ghosty-qui huh? I'll have to ponder.

KD

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    diane Thank you for the kind words. [:D] I want to write more, but I have to wait and see if any ideas jump out or not. ;)

raisedbywolves Sounds like Obi-Wan is actually getting more dangerous. And Ani more resentful. Doesn't it? [face_devil] Thanks for reading. :)

VL Thank you for your lovely review. [face_love]

Kynstar Thanks! ;) I really appreciate your comments.

P_A Thanks for the review, milady. It means very much to me. :D

Leona I had the thought of him eating in that defensive way since I wrote the first part, and I really wanted to add it to this one. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

maychorian I long for more! Write a series! Please please please please please! Well, maybe if you say please one more time... :p I'd really like to. If I get any ideas, I'll write them out for sure. ;) Thank you. [face_love]

KD Thanks. :)

21. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Giving this a bump for the current challenge -- post your responses here folks!

22. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm a bit nervous about posting this - it's the first time I've done something without my Master's help. I hope it's mushy enough!

Title: Two become One
    Author: Kestrel_Kenobi
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn & guess the Padawan? ;)
    Genre: Mush ? I hope!
    Summary: A Padawan chooses his Master. AU.
    Note: Written for the Qui ?mush? Challenge.
    Disclaimer: Not mine, except in my dreams?[face_love]

Qui-Gon took the golden haired boy in his arms and lifted him high into the air. He had come to the crèche early and although most of the younglings were still sleepy this one was bursting with energy. As Qui-Gon held the boy he could feel the Force literally dancing within him. A feeling Qui-Gon recognised, a sign, which meant the time had come for this child to leave the safety of the crèche.

The boy giggled and squirmed in Qui-Gon?s arms, first tugging at Qui-Gon?s beard and then (to Qui-Gon?s relief) turning his attention to catching the sunbeams that filtered through the huge windows surrounding the crèche. Qui-Gon smiled at the boy?s joy and innocence in these simple pleasures, knowing that all too soon it would pass and that duty would replace play. Although, Qui-Gon would make sure that not all the laughter would be taken out of the boy?s life.

Qui-Gon placed the child back on the floor to see where his curiosity would take him next. To his surprise the boy chose not to run off but to climb onto Qui-Gon?s lap, his giggles subdued and an air of seriousness fell about him as he locked his eyes with Qui-Gon?s own. The two stared at each other for the briefest of seconds, as everything seemed to stop ? a silence enveloping them. Suddenly, Qui-Gon was surprised to hear a small voice in his head, faintly calling?Master. Qui-Gon closed his eyes briefly and shook his head as if to clear it of all thoughts, he listened again?nothing. Had he imagined it? He opened his eyes to see the boy still staring at him, but now smiling as if he felt or sensed something that Qui-Gon could not. Qui-Gon smiled back, his eyes lighting up as he raised a hand to ruffle the boy?s hair, knowing that what had passed between them had sealed their fate. The boy leaned into him for the briefest of hugs before jumping down and running around the room, his arms stretched out wide as he pretended to be a star ship. Qui-Gon stood watching the child and then, brushing a single tear from his cheek, turned to leave.

He would return to the crèche after speaking to the council, the time was right ? the Padawan had chosen his Master.

EDIT: New extended version can be found here http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/22343941/p1/?0
    ;)

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh Kestral, I have but one complaint... it's too darn short!! That was just so cute and mushy and sweet! I loved it and see that as having happened better than anything old meany wrote about the boys.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us. [:D] [:D]

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    So lovely and sweet, Kestrel. [face_love] I concur with Leona, though--there needs to be more of it! :)

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I loved that the Padawan had chosen the Master. Sweet and cute and warm. Wonderfully done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.