main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Quotations Roulette! -- A Challenge -- Master List + Questions up on pg 20!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by vader_incarnate, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I like quotes. ;) I like finding quotes that are inspiring or meaningful or deep or maybe just plain funny, and then I like trying to apply the same theory to my stories. I think that a good quote, like a good story, can have an grand theme that we can apply to our own lives, even if it's presented in a strictly sci-fi context. :D

To that end, I proudly present Quotations Roulette, a challenge in which I give you a quote and you give me a story to go with it. ;)

I have a document with 100 cool quotes (or, at least, what I think are cool quotes). You will choose a number between 1 and 100 inclusive, and I will give you the corresponding quote, with which you will write a fic of any length, pairing, genre, whatever.

Some of the quotes lend themselves well to angst; others would make great humor pieces. Some of the quotes make immediate sense; some of them are somewhat trickier ("When a loose cannon flogs a dead horse, there'll be hell to pay", for example ;)).

What's the catch??

You don't know what kind of quote you're going to get. Some of these quotes are about love or war or children or happiness or a thousand other of 'the usual' things. Others are about clowns. And ticks. And allergy medication.

And yes, I am absolutely evil and make no attempt to hide it whatsoever.

[b]Directions:[/b]

1. REPLY to this thread with a number between 1 and 100 if you would like to participate. As soon as possible, I contact you with the corresponding quote on my list. I will try to keep the first post updated with who has what number, etc.

2. WRITE a fic by ... eh, let's make it the end of August. It [i]must[/i] relate to the quote in some way shape or form though it doesn't have to include it. Yes, even the weird quotes. I don't care what pairing, length, genre -- write an angsty Han Solo/Siri Tachi character death fic with the loose cannon quote, for all I care, but make sure it relates to the quote. (And aye, I know someone will do exactly that at some point, just to spite me. O_o)

3. In your fic, INCLUDE the original quote and its author, as well as a link back to this thread. The [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20638785]Before response thread[/link] is here, the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20638752]Saga response thread[/link] is here, the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20639014/?0]Beyond response thread[/link] is here. ;) [b]PLEASE post in the response thread. That makes vader_incarnate a happy Dark Lord.[/b]

4. When you have finished, TELL US that you've finished in this thread. :D That means I don't have to go digging through the boards to find your fic and link it in this post.

5. And, of course, HAVE FUN. ;) There are no prizes, no awards, nothing save for a knowledge that you completed a challenge and wrote a fic about a quote from some age-old person no one but [b]vader_incarnate[/b] has ever heard of, etc. :D

[hr]

[b]Occassionally Asked Questions:[/b]

[li][i]How do I get a quote?[/i][/li]

If you want to answer the challenge, leave a message in this thread. I'll PM you one of the 150 quotes as soon as I can.

[li][i]Are you an evil person?[/i][/li]

Usually, no. Most of the quotes are really quite doable, with a pinch of extra-weirdness thrown in for flavor. You can probably get a good idea of the general mix-up I have by going through a few pages of this thread; mostly they're not that bad, I swear.

[li][i]Where do I post my response, once I've finished it?[/i][/li]

In one of the three response threads. The [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20638785]Before response thread[/link] is here, the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20638752]Saga response thread[/link] is here, the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20639014/?0]Beyond response thread[/link] is here.

Please leave a note in this thread with the details of the story and a link to it, so I can edit the first post to link to it. T>

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
  3. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *chooses number 59 without looking at her list*

4. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Why not... 81!

5. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Doot do do doooo!
    Number 29 submitted for your approval!
    I know, I know we have until the end of August, but when the bunnies are biting, there's no escaping them.
    I do reserve the right, though, to edit as needed until 8.31!

From Humble Beginnings - http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20641283

6. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I'll bite! 99! :D

7. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    19. *chooses favorite number* :p

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh this looks fun. Okay how about 24 ... :p I'll be 24 in a month so maybe it will be lucky ;)

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, I got my quotation!

10. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    I pick 13. It's my age, so I hope it's something I'll be good at.

11. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I got mine too! And although it's one of those odd ones it did get an old bunny back up and nibbling again. ;)

12. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    21, me lucky number.

13. JediCallista_1_6_e54

JediCallista_1_6_e54 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    8, I'll have 8.

14. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Excited and scared to attempt my first challenge. I'll take #15 please.

15. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I'll probably regret this, but...12. *winces*

16. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

I will not promise anything such as that it will actually work normally but.... may I have 100? :D Big numbers are easier for me to deal with. :p

17. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    I'll take 42. :p

~Carr

18. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Oooh, this looks like fun! I'll try . . . 22. :)

19. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Very cool idea, v_i! =D=

I'll take 77. :)

20. argentlife

argentlife Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    what a cool idea, now what numer...

*thinks very very very hard*

50?

21. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    i will promise nothing

and i wanna 66

~Mags~

Edit:

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20699977/?0]Best Things In Life[/link]
    Author: Maggy
    Timeframe: post NJO
    Characters: Tahiri
    Genre: challange entry, vignette
    Keywords: Tahiri, Anakin
    Summary: Tahiri tells about her live

The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. ? Robert Louis Stevenson

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, tricky challenge. Sounds perfectly wicked. I look forward to reading the results.

23. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  24. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Sounds like fun. 84, please.

*shakes fist at CarrKicksDoor for taking 42*

- lazy

25. Shara_Amani

Shara_Amani Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    Ok... why not... I'll either kick myself or have fun, soooo....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.