main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quotations Roulette! -- A Challenge -- Master List + Questions up on pg 20!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by vader_incarnate, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Will there be any sort of evaluation of our writings? Or was thsi just for the heck of it? Where does this go from here?

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I forgot to answer the questions. [face_blush]

1. When you first signed up for this challenge, did you expect to receive a serious quote or a not-so-serious quote? Which did you ultimately receive? Were you satisfied with it?
    I expected to get a serious quote and that's what I got. I would have preferred something more silly but the quote I got was wonderful!

2. Did you have to think about your quote before you wrote it, or was it pretty simple?
    I had to think about it a lot. At first, the quote screamed Anakin to me but that was just too obvious. After mulling it over a while, I wrote something else. It was still serious and sad but just with different characters.

3. Seeing the Master List, do you feel that this quote list has too many serious quotes, too few serious quotes, or just a right mix?
    Just the right mix. It was a very successful challenge and I think you should do this again in the spring.

4. Were you challenged by this challenge in any way? For example, did it force you to broaden your horizons or take on topics that you hadn't looked at before?
    I was only challenged by the quote itself. I couldn't decide if I should include it in the body of the story or at the top. My horizons are pretty broad (I write all kinds of different things) so that wasn't a part of this challenge.

5. Did you post your response in the response thread? Why or why not?
    I didn't for 2 reasons - I was very late (after the deadline) and it was 10 pages long so I thought it too long to include in the thread.

6. Were you satisfied with the amount of feedback you received for your entry? If not, do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    I had a lot of great feedback. I think it was partially because it was in its own thread. I find that specific challenge threads (where all the stories are bundled) gets less feedback so I tend not to post in the thread itself (although that wasn't why this time). I think next time the stories should go in their own threads and an index be created to track those stories.

7. Did you understand the rules? If not, what was ambiguous?
    I understood the rules. They were very clear.

8. Would you do this again? Although it was a great challenge, probably not. I have been neglecting my own stories too much and need to focus on those. But I really think you should do this again. It was a wonderful idea!

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    1. When you first signed up for this challenge, did you expect to receive a serious quote or a not-so-serious quote? Which did you ultimately receive? Were you satisfied with it?

Both and both and yes.

2. Did you have to think about your quote before you wrote it, or was it pretty simple?

For the first one (#1), it was a matter of narrowing it down. i was going to do a Han/Leia one, but then in the end decided to write a story about my favorite OC and Obi-Wan when she's having a birthday after Geonosis.

3. Seeing the Master List, do you feel that this quote list has too many serious quotes, too few serious quotes, or just a right mix?

Good mix. Very amusing.

4. Were you challenged by this challenge in any way? For example, did it force you to broaden your horizons or take on topics that you hadn't looked at before?

I allowed myself to try a new style for it.

Yes, I did. To let others know.

6. Were you satisfied with the amount of feedback you received for your entry? If not, do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

No, not really, because no one noticed.

It was good. I just wish I hadn't had a hugely horrible month when I got my second challenge and therefore didn't complete it.

8. Would you do this again?

Definitely./

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005

I expected a crazy quote. I was on the recieving end of a not-so-serious quote. I loved it -- it was hilarious and gave me the perfect opportunity to bully a teenaged Ben Skywalker!

I thought about it for a bit. I went through several versions of my response before finally deciding on the one that worked the best.

Just a right mix. :)

Nope and yes, but then I'm usually quite flexible when it comes to writing. If I haven't written something in that genre before, it doesn't matter to me and I write it anyways.

Yes, mine was posted in the response thread. Before it wasn't going to be, because it was a six part fic, but then I chopped off the five last parts because they sucked and the fic was actually best as a vignette.

Hmmm... I got a few. I suggest that more people read the response threads even if they aren't part of the challenge and for those who are, comment on ones that you've missed, even if there are a few fics inbetween them. :) Of course, you can't make anyone do it, so...

Yes. It was quite simple to me.

This is a question that shouldn't need to be asked. YEAH, of COURSE! :D

[:D] to v_i for thinking of this challenge.

5. Tahiri_Rose

Tahiri_Rose Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    My response is up, I'm sorry its so late [face_blush] too busy at Uni to get it done before break. Its in the Beyond response thread. Thanks

I really hadn't the foggiest about what I would get. It was serious in the end but could have been taken either way. I was happy with it, at first it didn't seem to jump at me but then it managed to bite.

When I first read it I immeadtly thought of a depressed/cynical Tahiri making the comment, but it took a while to get the situation just right.

Haven't read the Master list yet, intending to get around to that soon.

I've never actually written a responce to a challange before, so it was intresting actually seeing how worked out. I just generally write whatever I'm in the mood for and it was challanging to actually have paramaters in what I was writing. As regards to subject matter and style I stayed with the tried and tested.

Yep, it's the easiest thing to do.

I'll just wait and see, only been up a minute.

Yep, gotta love closed questions.

Most definatly, I might even get it in on time next time.

Thanks for the challange :D

Tahiri_Rose

6. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Hey, how about another roulette? Please? [face_praying]

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Quotation #97 done--three months late. ::ducks rocks::

The Flowers In The Field

Question answers (also late):

I had no idea what to expect--I was afraid it would be some bizarre Existentialist comment by Albert Camus or something. ("Maman died yesterday. Or maybe it was the day before.") I ended up with a tounge-in-cheek quote that I enjoyed very much. There were a lot of places I could have gone with it, but I headed for familiar ground and chose a late-PT setting.

I thought about it a lot--although not actually for the whole 3 months. I very nearly went with Han and Leia for this, but I haven't worked with those characters since probably about middle school, and building up decent characterizations would have been a lot of work.

I haven't seen the complete list, but the mix seemed pretty good.

I could have chosen a greater challenge than I did, but I was kinda busy at the time. Three months worth of busy, as it turned out.

I only posted a summary and link because the fic is about 12 pages long.

Well, Leona's got the fastest "Reply" button in the West--she had a response up before I could go back and edit in a rating. Her response was much appreciated, as always. :) So far, no one else--but hey, this is a three-month-old challenge.

It was all good.

If I had time.

::Falls over with strange, high-pitched laughter that quickly turns to hysterical sobs::

And thank you, once again, vader_incarnate, for your inspired idea and hard work. I'll understand if you don't edit my story into the "completed" page. I kind of missed the cutoff point a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.