main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Quotations Roulette - Non-SW Movie Version

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Quotations_Roulette, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quotations_Roulette

Quotations_Roulette Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2006
    Okay, by now must of us have the Star Wars saga memorized. We've seen all of the movies at least a thousand times; we have characters we love or love to loathe. And we have all of the classic lines memorized and ready for a witty insert at a moment's notice.

I'm a sucker for a good line, and Star Wars has given us so many. But what about the rest of the movie world? What can the talents of TF.N's fan fic writers come up with when given a quote from a movie they may not have even heard of, I wonder? [face_thinking]

To answer those questions and more, I proudly present Quotations Roulette ? The non-SW Movie Version, a challenge in which I give you a quote and you give me a story to go with it. (Many of you will remember the Quotations Roulette Challenge hosted by Vader_incarnate. With her permission, I have borrowed the idea and put my own spin on it) ;)

I have a document with 100 quotes from non-SW movies (Yes, some, but not all, were books before they were movies.) You will choose a number between 1 and 100 inclusive, and I will give you the corresponding quote, with which you will write a fic of any length, time period, pairing, genre, whatever.

What's the catch??

You don't know what kind of quote you're going to get. Some of these quotes are about love or war or children or happiness or a thousand other of 'the usual' things. And you may or may not have seen or even heard of the movie it's from. Some will be pretty obvious what movie they're from, others probably won't be.

And yes, I am absolutely evil and make no attempt to hide it whatsoever. [face_devil]

Directions:

1. REPLY to this thread with a number between 1 and 100 if you would like to participate. As soon as possible, I contact you with the corresponding quote on my list. I will try to keep the first post updated with who has what number, etc.

2. WRITE a fic by whenever. It must relate to the quote in some way shape or form, though it doesn't have to include it. Yes, even if you've never heard the line or seen the movie. I don't care what pairing, length, genre, etc.

3. Responses MUST include the name of the challenge in the title bar. In your fic, INCLUDE the original quote and the movie it's from, as well as a link back to this thread.

4. So that your hard work may be included in the Challenges Index Thread, when you have finished, PM me and include a broken link to your fic and the indexing info, i.e.

Title:
    Author:
    Notes: (Include your quote and the movie it is from here.)

5. And, of course, HAVE FUN. There are no prizes, no awards, nothing save for a knowledge that you flexed your creative muscles and completed a challenge and wrote a fic about a quote from some movie you may or may not have seen.

Best of luck and have fun.

~Bale

Index

An index of fics for this challenge can be found [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22826700/p1/?10]here.[/link]

F.A.Q.

Does my story have to contain the quote exactly?
    While it's usually better if you can fit the quote into the story somewhere, you don't have to. Some quotes just don't lend themselves too well to the SW universe, especially if they're rather "earthy." It is okay to have your story be "inspired by" the quote you received.

Do I have to include the name of the movie the quote came from in the story?
    No, but please be sure to include it along with the quote in the Notes section preceding your story.

I've never even heard of this movie, let alone seen it! Do I still have to use my quote, or can I get a new one?
    To be fair to everyone, unless your quote contains words which you are genuinely uncomfortable using or which violate the Words List (Most of the quotes have been screened and should be okay. When in doubt ask) please stick to the quote you received.

Why aren't there any quotes from the Star Wars movies?
    Because that would be too easy :p

Where can I find

2. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Oooh! Looks like fun! I enjoyed the last Quotations Challenge, so this should be no different. I'll start off by choosing #42.

Can't wait! :D

3. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Fancy seeing you here!

I believe I will choose number.........

hmmm...

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I need something to get my creative mojo going. I'll take #69. [face_mischief]

What? :p

5. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Lucky #7 Please!

And Jade... o_O

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oooh, this'll be fun! [face_dancing]

I will take number...4, please. :D

7. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I had more fun doing this last time. 8-}

I'll take number 65. My hubby's jersey number. [face_love] (Mine was 00 so I know THAT'S not going to work :p)

8. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'll bite...hows about lucky 13?

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'll take number thirteen, please.

10. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm SO in.

Every time I see my brothers somehow, someway, someone throws a movie quote into the conversation setting off the rest of us. For the rest of the night that's all we'd do, quotes from movies, even those not worthy of AFI's top 100.

I can't wait to see what everyone gets, but for me. I'd like to stick with my lucky number 64 please.

11. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, this sounds like fun! Can I have 24!
    (I'm a total Jeff Gordon fan! :) )

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This looks like a lot of fun! I'm in as well. Hook me up with #22!

I have to say most of my favorite quotes these days are coming from one sourse: 24

They are called Bauerisms. Named, of course, for the title character of 24, Jack Bauer.

Sample:

Jack Bauer: The only reason that you're conscious right now is because I don't want to carry you.

I opted with #22 because it is my favorite, but 24 also has a special place in my heart.

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'd like 33 please :)

14. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Hmm, why not?

Dang, 42's taken. Oh well...

Sign me up for 33 please.

15. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Uh oh, there are a couple repeats.

16. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Looks like fun...Give me #21!

Cheers,
    Wyo

17. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I still haven't finished writing my fic for the other Quotations Challenge, so I really shouldn't, but -

#17, please.

- lazy

18. Quotations_Roulette

Quotations_Roulette Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2006

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    You've got me in tears from laughing so hard, Lazy. I think that you'll like the deadline for this challenge ;)

19. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    I'd love 27. :)

20. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    I'll take 50...Thanks
    Trep

21. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005