main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R2-D2 and C-3PO Discussion: The Droids' Journey

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I've heard a lot of debate over the years about R2-D2 and C-3PO's roles in the prequels. Some are satisfied and some are disappointed in them. I'm the satisfied one. R2-D2 has the great type of heroic moments I always hoped for. I guess if I had to suggest a negative aspect of him compared to the OT, I'd have to say its his "personality". He doesn't get excited and hop around, nor does he reveal much emotion in his beeps and chirps (how silly does that statement sound? :p).

As for C-3PO, I've never been bothered by his crazy antics. Call me lame if you must, but I actually laughed during the Arena scene 8-}

I guess the big question is, is this the way you envisioned the ultimate droid duo to be in the PT? Are their journies the same as you hoped? What do expect of them in ROTS? And of course the biggest question of them all: What were their wedding vows at the end of AOTC?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    R2 = teh coolness, and Threepio provides more comic relief than Jar-Jar could ever hope to in a thousand lifetimes (though he's light-years behind Han's satirical comments). A classic duo even the Marx brothers would be hardpressed to challenge.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Threepio is far and away my favorite character of the OT. I see a lot of myself in him. He isn't brave, he is an easily disappointed perfectionist, and he is afraid of breaking the rules.

I guess that I can't judge his full story arc until I see ROTS, but I do wish that Threepio would have been given either more to do in the PT, or a stronger purpose in a limited role. I actually find myself wishing that George would have given Threepio the TC-14 role at the beginning of Phantom Menace. I then feel that Threepio's role could have been expanded, and he could have been Nute Gunray's protocol droid throughout TPM and AOTC. The line about treason in the scene with the Separatist meeting would have worked perfectly for Threepio. I also feel as though it would have been very interesting and unexpected to see one of the heroes from the Original Trilogy affiliated with evil.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow. We not only see the first marrage in AotC, but also the first homosexual droid marrage :p 8-}

But seriously, I thought that their relationship in TPM was sub par, and practically non-existant. But I much enjoyed their roles in AotC. It was their first real Threepio/Artoo adventure. Complete with their fighting, and Threepio complaining about space travel. Also there was a nice mirror with ESB when Artoo had to put Threepio back together.

EDIT: The one plus I see for TPM is the fact that Threepio was made by Anakin. That not only strengthens his character, but every time he utters "Thank the maker" he's thanking the Dark Lord of the Sith :p

5. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    3PO, may annoy you, but I find him funny as hell. I don't know why. From the PT to the OT he just makes me laugh, his dry humor and his everlasting friendship with R2, shows some kind of hope in the movies.

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    R2 is like a defacto member of the Skywalker family. My favorite character of the entire Saga far and away.

7. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    R2 is the glue that holds the PT together.

seriously.

C3PO has yet to do anything really significant, however, he has had a few moments of comedy.

I liked them. especially when they met for the first time. classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.