main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST R2-D2 & C3PO in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Adella7, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    I noticed that is no thread for them . I hope they get some screen time in this movie, when it comes out in theaters one year from now. If there is a thread devoted to them , you may have to delete it with my permission.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    whostheBossk and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Although I hated TLJ and have little hope that Ep IX could satisfyingly bookend the trilogy of trilogies, one thing I still hope for is that R2 will have a "saves the day" scene like in the OT and PT. He's the guy that's always been there, and probably the most iconic SW character after Vader. He deserves to go out with a bang. If there's a way to recognize all the epic sh-- he's witnessed over the years that would be awesome. Also, if they want BB-8 to be the "new" R2 then a passing-the-torch moment would be appropriate.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    There is no replacement droid for the services of C3PO. . I'd like to see them retire to a planet for droids. I hope they get medals for good work, they have provided through whole Skywalker saga.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  4. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    The name of that retirement planet is called "The Heap". Nod your head if you're old skool.

But yeah they deserve more than a little more screen time. Lucas originally wanted them to be the perspective from which the story was told and they have witnessed the chain of events from the very start. Threepio has been wiped at least once we know of but R2 still has his memory intact. I don't know if his sensors can detect force ghosts (I believe he can) but I would love to see a scene where the ghosts of Anakin and Luke interact in the presence of R2 and Threepio. I don't know if Luke was ever made aware that his father built him and R2 belonged to his mother originally, but an interaction like that would really be a nice way to demonstrate how central the droids were in the Skywalker family tree. BB belongs to Poe and while he is popular right now, the original droids are just essential to SW as a whole.

I just hope that one of them isn't set for an onscreen demise like Han, Luke and Leia. Imagine R2 exploding into fiery squealing bits trying to save the day one last time.

5. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Oh, that could be lovely and bittersweet. Not even necessarily interacting, but all four in the same shot. Something like this from AOTC and ESB.

And acknowledgement that R2 was both Anakin's and Luke's favorite droid.

6. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    At some point they were both owned by Anakin, Padme, Luke & Leia so if a scene happened Leia should be present too

7. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Right on! I really hope they get a chance to shine at the end. BB 8 is cute and all but in regards to the saga he just got here like a millisecond ago and he hasn't really participated in the Skywalker story yet. Short changing the original droids in the ST would be a serious misstep.

whostheBossk and The-Clone-Wars like this.
  8. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Sure but kinda can't do it now

9. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Prediction: R2 and 3PO will have one scene together. BB8 has replaced them unfortunately. We will see all 3 droids stand by Rey, Finn, and Poe with some kind of celebration at the end of the movie...cue credits.

That's all we will get.

10. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd like to see Threepio get slagged one more time. He used to get an arm ripped up or blown apart or get his head switched. I'd kinda like to see R2 tell BB 8 to plug into a computer terminal and get fried because it was a power socket. I like to hear R2 laugh

GunganSlayer likes this.
  11. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Just give us a short "hero" sequence for them both. I had a go at the treatment contest and had them break our heroes out of some FO stronghold - just Artoo misdirecting by setting off alarms and locking doors and Threepio falling on a guard to incapacitate him. It doesn't have to be much - just give them their moment together, which they haven't really had in the ST yet.

12. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    2/3 of the way in, I think it's safe to say that step has been missed. IIRC, Hamill had to improvise that wink at 3PO (the original Skywalker family droid and more of a true Skywalker than Kylo Ren IMO) at the end of TLJ. They're the only saga veterans still standing nonetheless.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    From what we know about 9, I think R2 and Threepio will have a much bigger presence.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Ah man, that would be such a great scene. R2 pushes aside a fried BB-8, and then does some heroic computing himself.

15. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe the best way to open 9 would be like in 4 where they are traversing a battle together with laser bolts whizzing by or traveling to a stronghold together like in 6

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopefully more Artoo, I think Threepio has had a decent sized role in the ST that he's usually slotted into. And Artoo has had his "save the day" moment in TFA and TLJ (TFA he wakes up for the map and TLJ he scans for the Resistance survivors). So he's definitely going to do SOMETHING. But I think it's also that Artoo is about 60 years old at this point, he's definitely not top of the line, but it'd be great if he proved it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Artoo was unique, he filled the role of sidekick for Luke and also the role that a canine companion often fills in movies. Threepio hasn't ever achieved that role as he was never intended to, nor has BB-8 up to this point.

18. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I hope we see more of them. R2 was a huge favorite of mine as a child.

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The droids have been lacking a bit in the ST - please give us more of them........

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  20. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    C-3PO and R2-D2 have been criminally underused in the ST. I would like for there to be at least one Scene, where they are sent on a little mission. BB8 is great; but nothing beats the the banter between 3PO and R2, for Star Wars humor. They deserve a good send off, as much as the other OT Characters.

21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah. While I get why they've done it (it's a story about the new characters, the old crew aren't the big show), the minimal R2 & 3P0 hasn't been that ideal for me. Just put the two together a little more, get an extra couple scenes out of 'em with that patent bickering/banter.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’m all for BB-8 having a large role but agree R2 needs a little more to do.

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They could create a situation where Artoo and BB-8 have to team up to save the day, possibly with a bit of astromech bickering - and hopefully with some Threepio involvement - but mostly as an awesome hero duo moment.

24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Surprisingly, I haven't really missed either of them, but sure, if JJ can find a way to incorporate them into the story in a way that doesn't feel too shoehorned, then I'd be glad to see more of them.
    I still think C3P0's intro in TFA was perfect.

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    As far as I can see, other than linking the map at the end of TFA, Artoo has had nothing to do of any importance. Wouldn't it have been far more credible to the characters had Artoo remained with Luke after Ben purged the Jedi Temple? It would've made Luke's story more in line with his OT character, BB-8 could've done his bit finding Luke with the map being in Threepio's memory...giving a great excuse for someone to say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.