main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If you were talking about a conscious decision to have "whiter" children, you'd be correct. However, an aspect of white privilege is that "whiteness," and one's proximity to it, play heavily into beauty standards in many countries on an unconscious level. The term "good hair" used by some black people comes immediately to mind as one example.

So, to back wocky up, it is totally comprehensible (though not necessarily defensible) to see a backlash against this mindset manifest itself as a pushback against "interracial" breeding.

There's a world of difference between understanding a phenomenon, and excusing said phenomenon.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Not defensible at all reality.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) I'm actually sick of both you and wocky pretending like I don't "understand" what's going on in these people's minds. I'm not some moron, I've been dealing with racism against me from nonwhites for quite a long time. Calling something "weird" doesn't mean I don't understand something.

2) Wocky presented these people as defensible, having legitimate concerns that they are merely addressing the wrong way. He's done this before, many times on many topics, and most people here can attest to it. I'm now calling him out on this behavior, I'd appreciate you not being an inconvenience, thanks.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1) It's sort of problematic that you are claiming to understand while simultaneously asserting that something doesn't exist which multiple black people are attesting to. Especially given that one of your favorite go-to arguments is citing your own experience. If we don't appreciate what it's like to live in Pakistan or be multi-racial, you should probably also concede that, while you have some analogous moments, you really don't know the full detail of the black experience in the US.

2) I never presented these people as defensible. Literally my first comment was calling their behavior as "awful." What I tried to highlight was, just as "men's rights advocates" fail to see what they label "reverse sexism" not as some malign power of a women, but in fact a consequence of patriarchy itself, hitting outside its intended target (eg narrowly prescribing a woman's role in society necessarily constrains what's acceptable for men, too), this phenomenon ob lack resentment of inter-racial relationships has its roots in white privilege and the racial hierarchy that supports it.

Finally, you know what I look like. You might consider who is on the receiving end of these sorts of attacks outside people who are multi-racial. Do you really believe that what you're proposing about my position makes any sense?

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    1) your comment was that it was awful that they're targeting Barack Obama's daughter. We all know you go over the top when it comes to the Obama's. If this was some other black woman, who knows what your opinion.

2) I don't claim to know anything about the experience of being black. I am literally only bringing up my experience to defend the idea that I know what it's like to be the subject of racism from nonwhites. If you have experience with black people having kids to whiten them up, I'm open to hearing it. But I'm inclined to think it's not many people.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    There's a whole complex of phenomena, all with a common cause. Light-skinned people "passing" as white is a real thing. Centuries worth of common wisdom and for a long time outright academic speculation that people that either were whiter or even merely looked that way is a real thing. There are still ads being run for soap in 2017 that reference washing the black off. There is a tremendous drumbeat of pressure to define beauty in terms of hair texture and styles that cannot be naturally accomplished, noses that aren't common among people of African descent, and eye colors that are more rare still. People feel a pressure to be white because it absolutely exists, in myriad ways. Sometimes, they resent it.

And yes, sometimes that resentment leads them to do things that are also wrong.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm sure they're glad you're here to bend over backwards presenting apologia for them.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So which part of my post do you actually disagree with?

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I disagree with you framing them as having valid concerns.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The things in my last post aren’t real? Those dynamics don’t exist?

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not something that they need to get "concerned about" though.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I fail to see where he's offered any sort of apology. The very first thing wocky said in response to the link is, and I quote:
    Again, there is a difference between understanding something and defending it. Let me break it down further. IIRC, Vaderize03 is a heart surgeon. I bet he understands the **** outta all manner of heart diseases, but you don't see him apologizing for the existence of heart disease. In order to effectively treat any sort of malady, you have to first have an accurate comprehension of just what the malady is. The less you understand an illness, the more ineffective the remedy. In this case, the maladies are both pro-whiteness in the culture at large, as well as "colorism" within non-white cultures. If you don't understand something, you can't fix it.

Make sense?

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't need you to talk to me like I'm a third grader. I'm very well understanding what's the psychology behind it. Wocky isn't doing what you are saying he's doing. His first sentence was only because she's an Obama. He does this thing, you know, where he'll defend Obama? That doesn't always transfer when it's someone else.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I’m an internist who practices hospital medicine, not a heart surgeon.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though :).

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

What? The idea of white racism still gets people upset? Good.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks like a good course to me. I’d take it if I could do so online using in-state tuition.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  20. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Have you guys seen this?

If so, what are your thoughts?

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I put that in spoiler tags since it contains disallowed language but I'll leave it up.

It's late so I don't have much in the way of coherent thoughts but this piece here best illustrates some of it: https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...joyner-lucas-im-not-racist-explain-1820888539

I think is an interesting rebuttal and addresses my initial thoughts that it's weird that it places both white people's and black people's issues with each other on an equal pedestal given the massive power imbalance between the two over the course of the history of the US.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. One line from the article stuck out for me in particular

23. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I read that article before I posted here, I didn't really agree with it. The article claimed Joyner Lucas did a horrible job of refuting the points made by the white guy, and also compared them to a Nazi and Jew. I think it's a poor comparison.

I don't like the first criticism because I don't see this as a black man and white man having a debate. I see it as a video about recognizing difference in perspective, and how much that matters.

As far as the "Nazi and Jew" comparison, I think it's nothing like that. While on one side, of course not all black people are guilty of the crimes a few have committed, on the flip side not all white people are actively oppressing minorities. The white guy's anger comes from being told he's to blame for another's problems, but really it is the oppressors in government and society, not the every day white guy.

I really like the message of the video, that there is two sides to every story. Either side often refuses to listen to the other side, believing their own to be correct and therefore they shouldn't have to listen to the loser on the other side.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people know about this? If not it might be of interest:
    "Code Switch
    Ever find yourself in a conversation about race and identity where you just get...stuck? Code Switch can help. We're all journalists of color, and this isn't just the work we do. It's the lives we lead. Sometimes, we'll make you laugh. Other times, you'll get uncomfortable. But we'll always be unflinchingly honest and empathetic. Come mix it up with us."
    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A case here in Charleston that many forgot about (because it took place about a month before Mother Emanuel shooting) was Walter Scott's murder by a white officer, Michael Slager. Scott was a veteran and an unarmed black man who was pulled over in North Charleston for a faulty headlight. He ran, and Scott was caught on camera shooting him in the back. Subsequently, other officers were filmed tampering with the crime scene in an attempted cover-up.

Slager's trial in a South Carolina court ended in a mistrial last year. Our solicitor, Scarlett Wilson, did a terrific job laying out a blueprint for the federal case, even with this frustrating result.

Today, Mr. Slager was sentenced to 19-24 years in federal prison. Feel badly for both families - certainly Mr. Scott's, who lost a father/husband and by all accounts, a great man. Mr. Slager also won't get to see his young children grow up, and while I find his actions despicable and punishment on the light end, I feel sad for his family, too. Awful tragedy comes to an end, and hopefully the city continues to heal from what have been a brutal few years.