main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest

'"Shouldn't you help out your own community first?" That's the question we're exploring this week via our play-cousins at Latino USA. A black celebrity is criticized for helping a Latino immigrant. On this episode, that celebrity makes his case.'

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Study shows that sons of rich black families far no better than sons of middle-class white families.

Excerpts from the article:

The study, based on anonymous earnings and demographic data for virtually all Americans now in their late 30s, debunks a number of other widely held hypotheses about income inequality. Gaps persisted even when black and white boys grew up in families with the same income, similar family structures, similar education levels and even similar levels of accumulated wealth.

“One of the most popular liberal post-racial ideas is the idea that the fundamental problem is class and not race, and clearly this study explodes that idea,” said Ibram Kendi, a professor and director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University. “But for whatever reason, we’re unwilling to stare racism in the face.”

Black men raised in the top 1 percent — by millionaires — were as likely to be incarcerated as white men raised in households earning about $36,000.

If black children don’t have married parents, the argument goes, they’re more likely to grow up with fewer resources and less adult attention at home.

This study found, however, that broad income disparities still exist between black and white men even when they’re raised in homes with the same incomes and the same family structure.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So Trump is floating the idea of "fighting the opiod epidemic" via the useless and terrifying means of sentencing certain drug dealers to the death penalty.

Based on the history of the War on Drugs, this will be devastating for POC and no white dealers will be affected.

Everything about this is disgusting and unhelpful.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I highly doubt it will happen.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, even if Trump's DOJ implemented it, it wouldn't stand up to a court challenge. The Supreme Court would almost certainly rule it unconstitutional.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    You mean the SCOTUS that's starting to lean further towards a particular direction, along with a lower court system that is being packed by Trump appointees? o_O

appleseed, Rew and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is already a federal death penalty for "large-scale" drug trafficking, though I'm not sure if anyone has been sentenced to death under that law alone.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The same SCOTUS that recently tossed out life without parole sentences for juveniles.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So this is going on in Austin, Tx.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-in-texas-seen-linked-to-others-idUSKBN1GW136

5th bomb went off today at a FedEx, and after a week,I still don't see much news about it. Though the White House has finally said something.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a tweet: “We are committed to bringing perpetrators of these heinous acts to justice. There is no apparent nexus to terrorism at this time.”

Those killed and injured have been POC, so of course it's not terrorism. (I should probably change that to 'targeted' as I wonder if the package that exploded at FedEx was meant to do it's vileness elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    How is it not considered terrorism? is it defined differently in the United States?

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "Terrorism" has always been a politically charged term-- in the U.S. especially after 9-11.

That said, of course it's terrorism.

15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, I see. Only certain groups can be considered terrorist?

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    White man, mentally ill. Black or Latino man, thug or (per the FBI) "identity extremist." Muslim, terrorist.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wonder what group he'll be part of?

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Looks like the bomber has been identified as a 24 year old white man, so of course he's not a terrorist o_O

In case y’all forgot that this is still a thing... Police shoot an unarmed black man in his own backyard. "It looked like a gun," "I feared for my life," blah blah blah...[face_plain]

And this article is a few months old, but..."Not-Racists" Be Like...The Top Ten Phrases Used By People Who Claim They're Not Racist. The article gives examples of and responses to each one, but here's the list:

10. Why must everything be about race?
    9. I dated a black guy/girl...
    8. I don't see color.
    7. YOU'RE the racist!
    6. I grew up around black people.
    5. Not all white people...
    4. Go back to Africa!
    3. Why must you always be the victim?
    2. I don't want to sound racist, but...
    1. Make America Great Again

EDIT: and in an incident of Epic Level Trolling, an ad professional creates a fake pub that barred people wearing green, or of Irish descent...during the city's St. Patrick's Day Parade. It was all designed to call attention to how today's anti-immigrant sentiments are little different from those of yesteryear.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Austin bomber looks like another victory for home schooling.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I had $5 for every time I have heard one of those just in my adult life, both kids’ college educations would be funded. No exaggeration. I’m pretty sure I hear or read one of those phrases once a week or so, from people who think they aren’t racist.

And let me guess—the bomber was mentally ill and a lone wolf.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He's white, so there is a mental illness problem in this country! Let us proceed to do nothing about it.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The most disturbing thing about the Stephon Clark case is that, as of now, none of the footage shows the cops actually ever identified themselves as cops.

So basically the poor guy just had scary guys with guns chasing him for some petty ****, and was shot over that petty beef on his own family's property.

And here I thought people cared about curbing gang violence [face_plain]

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If they never identified themselves as cops, then that's one more reason to not allow their profession as a "defense" at trial.

The judge should say, "You never identified yourselves as police? Fine, but the jury doesn't get to hear that you are officers."