main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    None white strangers have never yelled out of their cars 'n-lover' or 'race traitor' while walking with my husband.

Or told them just because they're light skinned they're still porch monkeys.

I prefer to be around non racists of any color.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This ain’t the Victimization Olympics. If it was, I don’t think this assertion would medal. But let’s talk about colorism. Not for nothing does “But Not Too Black” have so many subsections.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As Merkurian suggests, this seems a bit much. Why do you find this request especially cruel or unreasonable? There are extremely few dark skinned characters depicted in a positive light. Almost none of prominence (possible recent exception to Black Panther, solely on the strength of his recent film outing). Don't you think people might put more value around having another, in that circumstance?

You must keep in mind that in the past, people have expressed wishes that even other black actors had been replaced with different black actors that looked more a certain fashion. I haven't seen yet that it's some deep animus against a mixed person in particular.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I don't think it's fair to say someone like Johnson is not black enough to play a black man. That seems to send the wrong message to mixed race people. I mean, is Obama not black enough to be the first black President....?

On the other, John Henry the character has always been portrayed as darker-skinned. So I get why many feel someone like Mike Colter from Luke Cage would be better casting.

There has recently been talk about how Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is breaking some stereotypes of black QBs because he's being acknowledged for his intelligence and arm talent, not pure athleticism (which is normally how people talk about black QBs).

But Mahomes is biracial. So does the fact that his mother is white mean he's *not* breaking barriers for how we see black QBs? Or does it just say we will only acknowledge mixed race black people, not majority black people?

To me it's very complicated. But I do feel a little uncomfortable with labeling someone "not (insert race)" enough in most circumstances. That itself has a dangerous history.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) this request is cruel because it constitutes the ongoing Erasure of mixed race people in society. People like you want us to go away and disappear.

2) I believe I also called out that controversy for Get Out.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yet again...

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/11/p...5iMHvVMTe5C2g1HKQQFN9BsFeG5cIIhh78To37Q_qYfAA

...campus police were waiting for me when I arrived at the reception desk at Whitmore. I had no idea why, but I knew it couldn’t be good. My heart started pounding.

Two university detectives sat me down me in an office and closed the door. Bewildered, I asked what was happening. They refused to answer as they peppered me with questions.

“What time did you wake up?” “What were you doing at the campus recreation center?” “Did you come into the building agitated?” I felt confused, powerless, and scared, but I made sure to maintain my composure. I remembered that even unarmed Black people disproportionately get killed during police encounters, and it was incumbent on me as an innocent Black man to show that I wasn’t a threat.

It wasn’t until the end of their interrogation that they revealed why I was being questioned. Someone had called the university’s anonymous tip line, reporting that they had seen an “agitated Black male” who was carrying “a heavy backpack that is almost hitting the ground” as he approached the Whitmore Administration Building. I — the “agitated Black male” — apparently posed such a threat that police put the entire building on lockdown for half an hour.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dear fellow white people:

1. Stop being so ****ing paranoid.

2. Stop being so ****ing racist.

3. Stop using the police as modern day slave patrols your personal go-to paranoia checkers.

4. Before you call the police, ask yourself honestly—would you call the police if you saw a white person doing the same thing?

If not, don’t ****ing call the police.

Really really really simple.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

White people have weaponized sexual assault accusations, this time calling the police on a 9 year old kid for brushing up against her

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    o_O

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Those kids weren't mixed race so I don't see how that's related

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone hear about the Lyft driver story?

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I get what you're saying about mixed race people. I've been called an 'apple' (red on the outside, white on the inside) by people, for not being Native enough. It's silly.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Same for me. It is silly. I feel a freedom to explore a variety of cultures and build my own identity without either assimilating into "white culture" or being a "real Indian." I use Native, rather than Indian, when speaking for myself, but I'm quoting phrasing I've heard from Natives who find me to be too assimilated into mainstream culture. But each individual has to build their own identity; mixed race people seem to struggle with that a lot but I think the key is realizing that to respect or even love a culture is not to swear allegiance to it.

14. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^Quoted because just a "like" isn't enough.

I am honestly just so sickened, repulsed, and heartbroken by the behavior of way too many of my fellow white people these days.:(

I've wondered--are these types of incidents actually growing more frequent, or are we just seeing them reported more?

For example, I understand that police brutality has been going on against black people in America since there have been established police forces, and that it's unfortunately only in the smartphone video age that examples of such incidents have gotten wider public attention (with some exceptions in earlier periods, such as with the Rodney King beating, etc.), despite of course many POC speaking, singing, rapping, and writing about their lived experiences during this time (but with the truth largely falling on deaf ears).

But of what of these types of incidents where random white people are calling the police for stuff like "selling water without a permit," and "suspiciously" babysitting/barbequing/sleeping in a dorm common room, etc.? Is the sense out there that these incidents are actually growing more frequent (due to, for example, the Trump effect of further inflaming pre-existing racism and "egging on" racist whites' sense of fear/entitlement)...or have such incidents just become more widely known/visible due to the use of smartphones and social media?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think these incidents always happened and were not widely known among the white community before so many people had smartphones and were willing to record it.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Agreed but also that having a ridiculously racist president empowers people to be openly racist. They think it's ok and that others will agree.

But they are not trump nor are they police with unions and laws protecting them and most of this country still finds that behavior appalling and it gets quickly called out, they are identified and their employers don't want to be associated (rightly) with that vileness.

So being stupid they go on their racist rants and I am always happy when they lose their job.

Now if we could only get rid of racist police and politicians as easily.

Still say we need a federal register for all those cops so we can at least follow them around the country as they go from one city/state police force to another when they simply quit when caught for bad behavior.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    NPR - Code Switch:
    Our Homeland Is Each Other
    "October 10, 2018 • This week, we're handing the mic over to transracial adoptees. They told us what they think is missing from mainstream narratives about adoption, and how being an adoptee is an identity unto itself. "

Thought it would be of interest.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So it looks like the white St. Louis woman who called the cops on a black man entering his own apartment has lost her job. You know what was appalling though? The sheer number of different options when doing an internet search of “cops called on black man for entering his own...”

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently the woman who said the 9 year old assaulted her realized how bad that was taken and has 'apologized' for accusing the young boy. I put the apology in quotes because apparently she still wants to charge the mother.

Pensivia likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So here's a question for you. Elizabeth Warren just took a DNA test that proved she had a fully native ancestor 6-10 generations ago.

Does this qualify her being marked as Native American for diversity purposes at jobs?

Because I have to be honest, my tests showed I have a fully West African ancestor fewer generations back than that (not surprising, one branch of my grandma's family had slaves)... And I would never ever consider myself at all partly black.

I connected with a black cousin on 23andMe and we have a good idea of where our families intermingled in Tennessee in the 1800s. I think it's a challenging and real part of the history of white Americans from families who have been here a long time like mine. I am glad I met my distant cousin to talk about it and compare our genealogies.

But that does not in any way give me the right to claim African status of any kind.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well it does qualify Donald Trump to pay out the $1 million to charity he said he would if it turned out Warren did have some Native American ancestory.

Ghost, Outsourced, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Warren never used her claim of Native ancestry for admissions or hiring purposes. At this point it's just a pointless pissing contest with the person who may be her opponent in a couple years.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You claim Dutch ancestry; how far back does that go? :p

Didn't he also, despite there being actual evidence to the contrary, claim he didn't say it and therefore won't pay?

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, that's Trump for you.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.