main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    We'll all be lumped in together.

Diggy likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    China.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    WE WERE PRODUCTS OF OUR TIME

harpua, Juliet316 and SuperWatto like this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Ah-h-h-h, humans and their need to be more. "Look at me, I'm different! I don't know anything about how I'd actually think and act in different circumstances, but I'd do good! I'd do better than this other guy!"

And every now and then the actual test comes, and all but a very precious few are found wanting, and scramble for any chance at pretending they actually did well, at the expense of others if need be.

Funnily enough, those people who did rise to the test are those who never say "I'm better". They say "you're better off not knowing".

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I can't think of a more obnoxious way to word that.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Interesting

[​IMG]

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

When you're a white neighborhood that doesn't want black kids trick or treating

bluealien1 and Lordban like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    How the **** are they going to police that? Most kids that age don' carry ****ing id.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To my knowledge, most departments around here don't (at the very least I've never heard of them doing so). However the news airs it every year. Probably to scare the adults.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Scare them? Why?

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Because it's Halloween

Darth Nerdling, Gamiel, Ghost and 4 others like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    EDIT: nvm

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    harpua likes this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    To scare parents of black kids into not letting their children go trick or treating. Black people are routinely thought to be older than they are, and black 10 year olds are gonna have the cops called on them. Even if the kids aren't arrested, it'd be a) enough to ruin the night of trick or treating and b) potentially put those kids' lives in danger.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I heard about that ridiculous law but the racist context behind it did not occur to me before now—and now it makes perfect sense.

Disgusting.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's America. How is your first instinct not racism?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  17. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    This isn't an off-topic. if you get the chance, watch Episode 3 of Season 11 of Doctor Who.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve seen all of NuWho. I’ll go back and look.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's supposed to air tonight in the U.S., so it hasn't come out yet for us Yanks. :) I've read on ahead about the episode description, and yes, I think I'll watch it as well. :)

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it's the new season and it's a fresh episode tonight.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have now seen it. Holy ****. Some white people in Alabama in 1955 need to be hit with a sharp right hook. Some white people in Alabama now probably need the same, as well as the

...people who agree, blatantly or covertly, with the white nationalist ***hole who wants to rewrite history.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, hell yes...

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Megyn Kelly is off her 9 a.m. show, and may not be back

I honestly can't believe that someone in Megyn Kelly's position could not understand why it's never okay to do Blackface.

In the wake of Megyn Kelly firestorm, I remembered the sitcom, Gimme a Break and a very particular episode that featured Joey Lawrence in Blackface. In the clip below, Nell Carter's character doesn't pull any punches in explaining the meaning of Blackface.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I ain' e'em mad [face_mischief][face_coffee]

Kelly's show was a ratings dud. The show she replaced (with Tamron Hall and Al Roker) was #1 in its time slot, and Kelly's salary is reported as being more than twice that of Hall and Roker combined.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Iron_lord like this.
  25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't know, if the penalties for asking why something is racist are so severe, how can any discussion happen that can overturn racism? That's how this reads to me. When people are afraid to ask questions, they can't learn, and they will shut out subjects entirely. If it's not okay to ask a question that means it's too dangerous to talk about a subject. In order to learn people have to be able to make mistakes and go through a learning process.

Maybe it's more that people just don't believe it was actually a question out of curiosity because it's assumed Kelly should already know? But again that means, people can't learn, can't make mistakes, because they should just know. And sometimes people don't "just know."

J-Rod likes this.