main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    If a person beats up a black person and in the process calls them the "N" work then yes, it is clearly a racial assault and as a result the penalty should be lifted.

If it was a straight slap and thats it then it's assault. Referencing the colour of the other person be it black, brown yellow, red, orange, green or what ever escalates the situation and it also then becomes about the colour of the skin too.

This was a racial assault and should have been dealt with in that manner

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    *nods*

okay. If that’s your (and by the looks of the thread everyone else’s) standard, I respectfully understand but disagree.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    @The Jedi in the Pumas just want to make sure i'm reading you right. do you believe that racist white people should be able to call black people the n-word whenever they want with impunity and without fear of consequence? if someone were to respond to this racist by punching them, do you believe the person who threw the punch would be guilty of assault and that the racist should be able to press charges and sue for damages? do you believe in the concept of hate speech? the concept of verbal assault?

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm sorry, but what else does someone calling another person the N word indicate?

5. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I’ll go question by question
    1. Obviously I don’t think white people should, but should they be able to? Legally, yes, I don’t think we should punish speech legally as society has done a historic job of doing so without the law. Before the 60s white people used the word all the time, and since then (without the government outlawing the word) it has drastically become a stigma for white people to use it due to society. We know what words are slurs without the government telling us what is and isn’t allowed.

I don’t think it’s without consequence and I’m not recommending a white person to go to any neighborhood and say whatever they want.

2. If a person takes offense to the word and hits the perpetrator, that’s part of the societal consequence that the speaker put themselves in. You don’t know how other people will respond. As far as charges, yes the could be charged, but I’m not making that phone call to the police nor will I tell the police what I saw.

Basically: a white dude goes to the hood, says some slurs, gets knocked out, and I see it, if the police come by looking for witnesses, I totally didn’t see it.

3. I do believe in hate speech and verbal assault, I just don’t have a settled opinion on how it should be treated and also what qualifies as hate speech.

A frustrated racist white person using the n word... I don’t know if that’s hate speech.

Richard Spencer talking about the supremacy of aryans and how they should defend the country against the lesser races? That bothers me more and I would consider that hate speech. But I don’t think he should be arrested for it.

Is it okay for me to be undecided and still working through those positions internally?

——-
    @FatBurt

When I was fresh out of basic training, I was picking on this white dude bad. Like roasting him hard and everyone was laughing. Not in a bully way, we all usually just joked on each other and made a game of it.

One day I was going at him really hard and he kind of had enough of it and said something to the effect of “What if I called you a (insert n word)?”

I thought about it for a day or so and came to the conclusion that: this guy wasn’t racist, I had known him for a while, but he was so frustrated and had no comebacks that he was just trying to say something to hurt me because he was hurt.

We talked about it and let it go. It reminded me of the Chris rock joke where he argued that you should be able to call someone whatever you want when you’re angry because they pissed you off and you’re not trying to be politically correct with someone you’re mad at.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    CernStormrunner and gezvader28 like this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    absolutely. i was just looking for clarification. thank you.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    There is a world of difference between calling someone the N word whilst slapping them and between ASKING someone "What if I called you the N Word". The context matters.
    Shouting the word at someone whilst assaulting them whether it's as a result of you being angry or not shows that the person is willing to use foul racist language irrespective and when angry it just comes easier to them. If the person ASKS without assaulting then I would read that as a rational argument thats basically saying "How would you like it if I did it to you? I know you wouldn't so don't do it to me"

Richard Spencer is a vile contemptible man who along with the likes of Tommy Robinson stir up divisions by using speech that it designed to "Other" non white people. they are both despicable people, the words they use are hateful and insightful. The words they use can and have instigated civil unrest in some towns in the UK and they should be charged for it. They can have their rallies and they are allowed too but the minute they go too far then the police will and should step in.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, this is exactly what terrorism is. You could already charge these people with simple murder, or arson, or whatever else they are guilty of. The additional weight of terrorism is the recognition of its political implications and chilling effects. This is working in precisely the same manner.

I've no interest in deciding if people are "actually" racist as some kind of deep soul-searching examination. I'm not sure a court is the best place to do that. But if someone assaults another individual and uses racist language, those particular actions are certainly racist. They also have consequences beyond those two individuals. I would encourage you to approach this situation with the same framework.

9. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    @FatBurt

To be clear, the guy wasn’t asking me to be inquisitive, he was asking me sarcastically as a way to call me the n word. Sorry I wasn’t clear in communicating that.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I gathered it would have been sarcasm. My point still stands.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Police language? No. Indicate differing severity of crime due to measurable motive? We do it all the time. For example: manslaughter vs. murder. Or as wocky noted, murder vs. terrorism.

I care sweet FA about what's in someone's heart. I care about what they do. Someone can be racist all the live long day, so long as they keep that (poop) to themselves. One can be racist AF and still take action in favor of black people (see: Lincoln, Abraham and Johnson, Lyndon Baines for example).

When someone throws them hands, this is evidence that they are violent. When someone throws them hands at a black person, this is evidence that they're violent. When someone throws them hands at a black person while also uttering anti-black racist slurs, this is evidence that they are violent racists. Our society deems violent racists to be more problematic than "regular" violent people, and has enacted laws accordingly.

That you either don't seem to understand this, or wish to downplay instances of racism, is troubling. As I said in a different thread, racists who admit to being racist are more rare than a unicorn who also craps golden cotton candy; while people who deny instances of racism are as common as water.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
  15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    From The Root:

How To Be A Better White Person In 2020.

I know some people will get in their feelings about the title. To them I say read the whole entire article, and reflect on it. There are some people who will want to comment about the article. To them I say before you do, read the whole entire article, and reflect on it.

16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This is something I've resolved to be better at. When I hear things like this, I tend to think about confronting racist people in person, which could possibly be dangerous for a trans person who doesn't pass 100%. The thing is, people mostly behave themselves when they have to look other humans in the eye. It's online that they start to show their true selves. When I see stupid racist **** online, I often think things like, "That's some drooling, cretinous adolescent looking for attention. Don't even dignify that with a response," or "Everybody else is handling this guy so well. I don't have anything new to add."

Thing is, even attention-seeking adolescents who post racist stuff are often speaking from a place of real bigotry, and it gets tiring being the only adult in the room when some racist git keeps posting, and posting, and posting. I was surprised and greatly touched when cis people came into the trans thread and helped me deal with a poster who kept on insisting, ever-so-politely, that I do not exist. I really didn't care if they had anything brilliant or original to say. It meant something to me that they would stand up for me in a world that appears increasingly hostile or apathetic.

Since then, I've been trying to make a point to come here and to other civil-rights themed threads. If I, a white middle class person who sometimes gets accorded male privilege, am scared and think of emigrating to Canada, what must it be like for more vulnerable people than me?

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Jesus friggin Christ

“Today, interracial marriage would be considered honorable, when 40 years ago it would have been considered a disgrace,” he claimed in 2017. “Now is it a disgrace, or is it honorable? Has the mixing of culture been good for America or has it been bad? Is America stronger today than we were 40 years ago or are we weaker today? And could it be we are weaker today because multiculturalism is spiritual AIDS and has brought an infection into what was once a great Christian American culture?”

“How is the royal bloodline of the crown being poisoned?” he asked. “Is there something special about this commoner who was married into the royalty?”

Well of course, according to Daubenmire’s way of thinking.

“She’s half-black,” he said. “When [Harry and Meghan] step back, what is going to be at the heart of why she did it? What are they going to say? Come on. Wake up here. What are they going to say? Racism … she never felt comfortable. She felt like she was below everybody else.”

Then he discussed the effects the royal family has had on Anglo Saxon Protestant culture.

“The royal family is the seat of Christianity,” Daubenmire added. “We cannot deny the impact the royal family has had on the WASP-y culture; the white Anglo Saxon Protestant culture is a result of what has happened within the crown. And the crown has now, for the first time, been infiltrated with a bloodline … oh my goodness that sounds racist, doesn’t it?”

“Don’t miss what’s going on,” he said. “This infiltrator comes in, proud of her infiltration, proud of her multiculturalism. And what is that demon doing? Destroying and upsetting everything, every tradition in that in that royal family.”

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    This is wrong in so many ways and on so many levels it would take thousands of words to write a comprehensive explanation of why...

This is indeed a worthwhile read, although it does have to be taken into account that it is inscribed in the context of the USA and their history.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...because this deserves more than one facepalm.

20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016

end monarchy, this kind of argument proves exactly why it cannot be condoned

poor yorick likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Do we need a video to explain that monarchy is bad? Didn't we figure it out in the 18th century?

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    We figured it out long before that, trust me there is a twist in that one that is well worth it

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What's there to explain? Either someone believes that people of all "races" are equal, or they do not. This is a matter of values, not science.

Runjedirun and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Three out of four propositions that involve that person's perception of history are completely wrong. The only one that isn't is a "well, duh" proposition.

solojones and Jedi Merkurian like this.