main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He was in fact one of many people who looted and burned down the precinct, most of whom were not Boogaloo Boys (I feel ridiculous typing that name).

I don't really know who you are talking about here anyway. No one was stereotyping minority communities as violent other than the usual right-wingers, and I don't think anyone thought the people in the streets were all non-white. There is an obvious correlation between the understandable if not justified property destruction that erupted in Minneapolis in response to the killing of George Floyd and the arrest of his murderer as well as the city council voting to abolish the police force.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It’s pushback against the pearl-clutching about “wHy aRE bLacK pEopLe dEsTroYinG tHeiR oWn neigHboRHoOdS?” A considerable amount of property damage is actually folks attempting to discredit the protests. Kinda like the story I read awhile back about someone knocking over gravestones and graffiti’ing them with BLM slogans and the names of slain POC. Black people (and some white people) were like “obviously, folks don’t know us very well.” Among Black culture, disrespecting the dead is Something You Just Don’t Do (TM) .

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I got the impression that he was referring to people in this thread.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Right dont destroy police stations, occupy them. They are situated in key locations for a reason. Though for real even if actual protestors did light it on fire that's still understandable. We can't scream about how fascism is here and we must be a "resistance" and then on principle oppose actual resistance. Case by case yes identify if it is done by some white nationalist cause no matter what we have to legally protect individual protestors who will get blamed, but in rhetoric DONT reject violence.

I think either way people need to not act like there is a "real" black response or sentiment. Minorities are not a hive-mind. Black people can dislike arson in earnest, and other black people can think armed revolt is needed in earnest.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

This made me embarrassed to live here.

6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    ^Excellent post. I've seen a steady stream of similar items posted by a white conservative friend (and first-time Trump voter for 2020[face_plain]) since the summer protests. Her sense of being a threatened "minority" is also heavily tied to her conservative brand of Christianity, but there is so much racialized fear and resentment on display in her content. I would love to figure out the best way to engage with her on all of this in case something could "break through"...

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Whew. So at work we are toiling away on January's content, which is all anti-Racism and diversity focused. This is definitely a little nerve-wracking to write since all of our writers are white. Although I have found an access point for trying to talk mostly to other white people as a fellow white person, since that's who this content will mostly help.

Luckily we have a consultant who's black and is an activist out in LA helping. I was humbled that he really liked my script on 'Colorblindness Doesn't Work'. But I am nervous about some of the other content I still have to write.

But overall, I'm just glad we're actually putting this content out there in our training library. We had the basic diversity courses, but going deeper into actual anti-racism, not just basic diversity, has been a good exercise. I wonder how our clients will react...

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Philadelphia is exploding over the police killing of Walter Wallace Jr., a 27-year-old black man who was armed with a knife and was apparently experiencing a mental health crisis.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's my old neighborhood. The shooting happened 3 blocks from where the MOVE bombing took place. It's apparently literal ground zero for police overaction against black people.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Have I posted my "25% of people killed by police are in a mental health crisis" statistic recently? People call 911 because Uncle Frank is threatening to jump out a 4th story window, and the cops rush in and shoot him. Probably the dog too, and maybe Aunt Sally and a couple of the kids for good measure. This is all especially stupid and cruel for populations that have no access to quality mental health care. Better to murder a troubled Black man than actually listen to him for 50 minutes once a week.

Please, all of you, NEVER call 911 on someone having a mental health crisis, unless you think it's likely someone will die if you don't. Because someone is likely to die if you do. (Disturbing behavior induced by drug and alcohol use definitely counts as a mental health crisis for this purpose.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, our big fatal police shooting recently was a 17 year old kid whose friends were worried he was suicidal. The cop got there just as the kid was backing a car out of the garage to go somewhere. The cop promptly shot this kid seven times, even though it's unclear from the video if the kid even saw this cop who killed him.

And that was a white kid in the nicest suburb.

Of course the cop quietly resigned while getting a $70k payment for HIS mental health.

Ugh.

Jedi Merkurian and Lordban like this.
  13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Brilliant [face_plain]

Do you need foreign intervention to pacify your Police and militias? [face_plain]

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah the mental illness angle is wildly under acknowledged. It has gotten me to detest "Florida man" jokes after realizing how ableist and built upon police reports of why they abused a mentally ill person most of them are. Even if everything else is acknowledged, i feel those with mental illnesses will be the last acceptable group to be bigoted to or to abuse as a society. It is such a varied demographic if you can even call it that, and can be hard to make into some consumer choice aside from oscar bait trash that has able-bodied actors portray people with mental disabilities in an exploitative and fetishized way. Not so easy to be all "oh really you are racist? well what if i told you that such and such artist you like is Hispanic" but for some majorly disadvantaged people with mental illnesses. Not that we should be doing that framing regardless, i dont give a damn if a dreamer being deported is a doctor with 5 kids, them being deported is as wrong as deporting a dreamer who is doing all the stuff conservatives accuse them of and more. Qualifying a group's worthiness to live is grotesque and all to common

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bernie covered my thoughts on this one.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As I said the PDs of America need to be rebuilt from the bottom up. Fire them all and hire actual competent people

17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Sometimes I wonder if that how we will eventually go down here in the U.S.

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    To be fair if the astronaut was black it would be easier for a black astronaut in space to vote than one living on the ground in America. Either way it’s stupid. It just shows how racist the republican party is they can’t allow with minorities to vote

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Republicans probably have a plan for gerrymandering space.

"I would ask which section of the International Space Station the black astronaut was casting their vote from..."

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Here's a major difference between voter suppression in the 50's and 60's and voter suppression now:

In the past, people in white robes were used to suppress the vote.
    Now, people in black robes are being used to suppress the vote.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    People in black robes were suppressing the vote back then as well

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Good point, although now racists can't legally use white robes in their suppression tactics.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003