main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    okie dokie

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Now that the prosecution has finished up I wonder how long the defense will take to get through all their witnesses. I think we’ll have a final answer by the end of may. Here’s hoping the jury makes the right one

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's ridiculous that Chauvin's team is even allowed to present the irrelevant "bUT He wAs HIgH" defense.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Becuase they have nothing else. 90% of people will agree the case is pretty cut and dry. They are trying to do anything they can to be like see it was the drugs that killed him not the guy who stopped him from breathing! Also please don’t listen to all the expert witnesses that say it was Chauvin.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not only are they going for “it’s OK to murder people who have addictions,” they’re even trying “his knee was not pressing on Floyd’s neck if you crane your head and squint.”

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @Rew - i am exactly 0% surprised

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hope the ass hat gets what’s coming to him

8. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Holy crap. Is this from 2021?(sarcastic because it feels so wrong. I saw the date though) There are still people like this?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes. I’m also 0 percent surprised.

Kudos to that kid for not caving in to the bully, who hopefully is not able to go in public again without getting exactly what he dished out.

ETA: Just looked at the rest of the Twitter feed, it looks like he is a staff sergeant in the Army and is “under investigation.” And I really, really hope that TikTok is of BLM protestors outside his house.

Jedi Merkurian and blackmyron like this.
  10. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Still not exactly sure why people are up in arms about this. Seems like two idiots arguing with each other.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. They are called Republicans.

Even his shirt is red. And his neck, too.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It’s not two idiots arguing. It’s a grown ass racist man bullying a 16-year-old kid.

US News and World Report picked up the story

13. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Cute, but pure garbage. The "neck" comment was so clever though. Well played. Slick. He's a lone jerk. Thats all. Thats OK, all democrats are communists too. :D.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So you’re going to stick with your belief that he is the only one who acts that way?

Is this poor kid’s racist neighbor a “lone jerk” too?

“Lone” indicates that mathematically there is only one of them. Even if that were remotely accurate, that would be one too many.

Here is a good essay that’s been circulating around:

"Preparing for Daycare" (by David Gray)

I need to drive my two-year-old to daycare tomorrow morning. To ensure we arrive alive, we won't take public transit (Oscar Grant). I removed all air fresheners from the vehicle and double-checked my registration status (Daunte Wright), and ensured my license plates were visible (Lt. Caron Nazario). I will be careful to follow all traffic rules (Philando Castille), signal every turn (Sandra Bland), keep the radio volume low (Jordan Davis), and won't stop at a fast food chain for a meal (Rayshard Brooks). I'm too afraid to pray (Rev. Clementa C. Pickney) so I just hope the car won't break down (Corey Jones).

When my wife picks him up at the end of the day, I'll remind her not to dance (Elijah McClain), stop to play in a park (Tamir Rice), patronize the local convenience store for snacks (Trayvon Martin), or walk around the neighborhood (Mike Brown). Once they are home, we won't stand in our backyard (Stephon Clark), eat ice cream on the couch (Botham Jean), or play any video games (Atatiana Jefferson).

After my wife and I tuck him into bed around 7:30pm, neither of us will leave the house to go to Walmart (John Crawford) or to the gym (Tshyrand Oates) or on a jog (Ahmaud Arbery). We won't even walk to see the birds (Christian Cooper). We'll just sit and try not to breathe (George Floyd) and not to sleep (Breonna Taylor).”

But yeah—only one jerk (which is what “lone” means) victimized every one of these innocent Black people.

Also, Democrats aren’t communists. Democrats are right wing conservatives. The GOP are alt-right fascists so they make the Democrats look liberal by comparison.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I wish the democrats were that cool.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    lone doesn't mean one in the sense of being unique, it means "having no companions" or "isolated". Contrasted with a mob. The Lone Pine Mall was called that because there was only one pine tree there, not because there was only one pine tree left in existence.

The Lone Gunman theory wasn't the conclusion that all gunmen were Lee Harvey Oswald, just that he was the only one at the Kennedy assassination. Didn't say anything about other gunmen elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Lord Vivec likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, but QUIGONMIKE was using it to indicate that the racist in the video was somehow unique and that his behavior is inconsequential and not worthy of attention. It was a “well what are you gonna do, one racial dude is gonna be racist, just ignore that behavior” move.

Across the United States, and in the Republican Party, racist dude in the video has many companions. He has a few in the Democratic Party as well but the Democrats are not actively advocating for policy intended to suppress the vote of Black people and people who live in cities.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    He was using it in a dismissive way, but using a new definition for the word created after the fact just to counter him doesn't disprove his argument at all.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  19. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    I dont believe that guy represents a large contingency of any political parties. There are a lot of black conservatives and republicans. I mean, that kind of nukes any theory that all or most republicans are racist. Doesnt it? Would they openly join a political party that was really racist? Safe to say no, me thinks. I know the media and such love to push this stuff but most of us are getting along with each other, despite the relentless attempts at dividing us & stoking the fires.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, yes - that explains the estimates that roughly 90% of African-Americans voting in the election voted for Biden. Or why the Republican voter suppression laws, combined with tactics such as shutting down voting centers - especially in Georgia - specifically target areas with a high African-American population. Or why Republicans deeply fear Washington DC becoming a state, considering it has a 47% African-American population.
    I mean, the 'media' does play a role - Fox News' relentless portrayal of African-Americans as lawless rioters that will show up in your nice neighborhood to loot TVs while spouting white nationalist creeds via people like Carlson and Hannity probably doesn't endear them to the conservative cause.
    And who can forget winning tactics like when Trump made this case for voting for him:
    "“What do you have to lose by trying something new, like Trump? You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good. You have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed — what the hell do you have to lose?"

21. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m still not seeing the racism here. It seems like a dispute that got physical, but due to the climate right now, this is getting blown up and being laced with racial undertones.

Maybe it’s because I’m around Army guys everyday, but I know how they are about protecting their homes and their communities. Can it be overzealous? Absolutely, which I think is what happened here. But what if the reports of the black guy being the aggressor against a woman in the neighborhood are true? What would we expect of a neighbor if they saw someone being harassed?

I just think there’s a lot we don’t know, like ALOT, about this particular situation and that we’re jumping to conclusions and I don’t mind waiting until more context is brought forth before I form an opinion.

That being said, I’m pretty sure the Sergeant’s career is over (though as a SFC he’s probably approaching retirement ANYWAY). In today’s climate, this will not go away and the army is likely going to ask him to separate. Bad for morale in the ranks too if your 1SG is a guy who social media thinks is a racist.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    There are still thousands of not millions of blatant racists in America. Although most racists aren’t so blatant and out there

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've never understood the 5th , doesn't taking it just make you look guilty?