main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That's not a fix. The real point being that it's rather tone deaf for you to make a comment talking about how you're looking forward to buying and using fireworks that are illegal for you to have, with no second thought about what that could entail for you, in a thread discussing race, when this is a country where with similar rates of breaking laws, like drug laws, blacks are substantially more likely to end up in jail for drug crimes than whites. In a country with different levels of enforcement of the law that correspond to race, you're making offhand comments about being eager to break the law without, it seems, grasping the significance that sort of thing has in this thread.

It's incredibly tone deaf, at best.

2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Lowbacca - Theres nothing here. NY has even relaxed a lot of their previous laws on fireworks and you can buy fairly large ones now at stands outside of Wal-Mart. This isnt about drugs which BTW - thankfully weed is now legal here in NYS! NICE! I can now say without any fear that there *could* be *some* of that going on too today too! :).

Lets all have a great 4th and continue to strive for good race relations with people that are different than us. Thats the goal.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Ava G. likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rew, Jedi Merkurian and blackmyron like this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Here's what happened yesterday:

"A group of white supremacists marched in front of Philadelphia City Hall Saturday night, drawing jeers from onlookers, as well as small scuffles. The group of dozens of men wore white face coverings, kakis, blue shirts and tan hats and waved flags with insignias appearing to belong to the Patriot Front organization. They were seen approaching from Market Street before walking in front of City Hall shortly after 11 p.m. Some could be seen holding shields as watchers-on shouted at them, demanding they leave Philadelphia. A few people could be seen engaging in minor pushing and shoving with members of the group. An NBC10 photographer had his cellphone taken from him by members of the group, before recovering it. Patriot Front, which is based out of Texas, is described by the Anti-Defamation League as “a white supremacist group whose members maintain that their ancestors conquered America and bequeathed it solely to them.” They are known to participate in localized flash mobs, the likes of which happened in Philadelphia Saturday night, according to the ADL. The Indpendent reported that members of the group also marched in Washington, D.C., Saturday. It was unclear whether Philadelphia police made any arrests in relation to the local march."

But, you know, racism is bad and people should get along and stuff. Saying that makes me a Good Guy, right? Now, look the other way while I vote for politicians that support xenophobia and racist policies.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “Their ancestors conquered America and bequeathed it solely to them” seems pretty mainstream as a belief among white American conservatives.

6. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    That quote is used & abused by extreme fringe groups that have no value to this world. Id say its unfair to claim its a white American Conservative thing. Im white and certainly lean conservative but that quote doesnt invoke some belief in me that just people who look like me benefit from or take advcantage of this country and its opportunities. If thats what some trailer park goofballs think then so be it but I assure you most of us dont feel that way!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It certainly aligns with your immigration policy that can be summed up "oh, they can't come here legally? well tough, they don't deserve to" and your stance on history of "History is written by those who won. Besides, America was discovered by Columbus. He found it, felt it was a cool place so we stayed."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nikole Hannah-Jones declines offer at UNC, takes position at Howard

The Board of Trustees should be ashamed of themselves for allowing themselves to be bought by one rich racist ***hole, as well as for allowing the journalism school to be named for him in the first place.

This is a great loss for UNC. I can’t blame Jones a bit though.

There are a lot of articles on this subject, but the Daily Tarheel article is the most thorough—which says quite a bit about the quality of the J-school there despite it being named for Hussmann. Shout out to the student reporters.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    White Man: *is recorded yelling racist slurs, gives his address, and says “come see me.”
    About 100 people: A’ight, bet.
    [face_laugh]=D=

10. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    That sorta reminds me of those Catch A Predator type shows. The would-be molester always tries acting super casual. "I don't like kids that way, I'm just here for reasons".

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  12. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    Saw this in the local NJ press and figured it would get national attention. The story is what was captured on video was just one of a series of harassment incidents perpetrated by the assailant, all of which were directed at his black neighbors. The police were aware of this guy for a while but had no direct evidence to charge him with anything. Well he sure fixed that for them didn’t he? What a gem.

The amount of deference given to this guy from the arriving officer was sickening.

And he blames it on being “a little drunk” but it’s ok, ask his friends he just talks this way all the time to everyone (his defense).

Just your run of the mill all American racism on July fourth weekend.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    "Oh, I'm so sorry, were those slurs I used racist? I thought I was using the regular, non-racist slurs. My bad."

What a lame-a** excuse. And what a moron.

14. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Makes a few good points but most of it has little do with race. Things like realistic goals, deliverables, people making mistakes and a whole bunch of other things on that list are race neutral. Businesses have to turn a profit. Sometimes to get the wine ya gotta squeeze the grapes a bit.

And, is it really fair for that entire left column to be attributed solely to white people? As if no other races have ever acted or deployed any of those tactics on the left side of the worksheet? White people arent the only ones that own and run businesses. That left hand side certainly does have some standard corporate complaints and things many of us have gone through or had to deal with. But most of those are based on excess greed and things like that. So there are some items there that should and could be improved or done differently. Lot of ranting too though, IMO.

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I've seen that type of "research" before. By Germans about Jews.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I find an irony the list is trying to represent "‘NORM’ of White Dominant Culture" and "SOMETHING DIFFERENT" as two columns and asking how organizations can make what they do be in the second column instead of the first column, and then the first thing on that list is "either/or thinking"

Lordban and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    White supremacist demonstrators chased out of Philadelphia. As the article says, they literally ran away [face_laugh] First off, the sheer caucasity of some Texans who thought they could pull this nonsense in Philly. Secondly, bravo to the folks noted here and in the previous article being like “nah.”

Next topic: CRT. Aaaaaaand go!

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's too early in the morning to deal with someone posting "thoughts" on CRT cribbed from conservative news sources while not actually knowing anything about it.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw that last night and had the same reaction.

BWA-HA-HA. I haven’t cheered for Philadelphia that hard since the Eagles made the Super Bowl.

As soon as someone says “I don’t want this taught in my kids’ schools,” there can be only two responses:

—Dismiss them outright because they have no idea what CRT is, or

—Ask them why the hell they want to tell a law school what to teach

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Before this goes horribly for the expected reasons (and I feel that time is approaching fast), I'm going to tangent this on 'technically' the topic of CRT.

A few years ago (2016) AT&T discontinued the 2G network that I was on til the end, and so I went in to a store to see what the options that they had for replacement cell phones were since they were saying they'd provide a new phone. I was underwhelmed by the options they had, but the salesperson brought up that I could bundle it with HD TV and I said that wasn't something I could use (while I had cable, I also had a $15 TV from craigslist). So he asks what sort of TV I have and I say that I've got a CRT. The guy pauses for a moment and then says that he's never heard of that brand.

And I really wanted to ask at that point if I could please talk to someone older.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I feel like their "alternate" column addresses this pretty well, actually. The idea is not that you can never make contrasts. It's that such contrasts are not absolute, and it's possible for multiple dynamics to be in play at the same time.

You've been hanging around with too many Americans. This is a ridiculous Hitler reference. Things that want to stir resentment/aggression are shaped differently.

No, it is of course unfair. Which is why they never did that. They never said that "only" white people do this. Or even that all or most white people do. They described, as you correctly note, broad features of our contemporary culture. They then noted that this culture was shaped: A) primarily by whites and B)in opposition to non-whites. Both of those things are historically true. Almost every nation in history that has conquered others has preferred the leadership/elite be populated by people of their ethnic group. But in the specific case of the United States, that group of conquerors happens to to be white people (European immigrants), so it is fair to describe that particular circumstance as stemming from "white" culture. Just as if we were 800 or so years back we might have pointed out this trait in Mongol culture or 3000 years back in Ancient Egyptian culture. The point is to try and change so that we're not doing it any longer. The US still hasn't.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Many of the traits listed in the left-hand column—individualism, meritocracy, seeing overwork as a virtue—stem from Puritanism, and the Puritans were WASPs.

My understanding of Native American and native African cultures (and I’m no expert here so correct me if I’m wrong) is that there is a greater focus on collaboration, collectivism and working as a community.

Ghost, Juliet316 , Rew and 2 others like this.
  24. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    OK - reasonable here. I hear you. Yes, white Euros did shape our culture.

I guess my issue is that a lot, if not most of the items on the left side of that list would negatively effect ALL people, not just blacks or whomever. A pushy boss sucks for everyone. Overly tight schedules and unrealistic expectations make us all miserable at work(Ive been there in the software field, trust me). Putting profit ahead of long term sustainability, promoting the wrong people, etc, etc. Thats bad for all of us, IMO. That list is sort of anti-corporate which honestly is fairly agreeable. But I dont feel its very race centric. Its more just a list of "crappy things that happen at many workplaces that most of us cant stand'.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You've made a key insight!

Bad ideas absolutely hurt all people. When you promote the idea that "women are weak and emotional because they are meant to raise children" you aren't just hurting females. You are also hurting men who feel like they can't share their feelings, and divorced dads that want a chance at custody for their kids. That's part of the reason it's so important to get rid of things like racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice. Certianly, people deserve fair treatment, and making things right is part of it. But it also makes everyone's lives better.