main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    womansplaining would be just as bad , wouldn't you agree? So why make the distinction?

Lowbacca_1977 and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    QGM significantly reminds me of the people who are opposed to getting rid of a local high school being called the Indians because "it's an honor" and white people need to stop getting offended on behalf of other people and try to change it, even though the local tribe has said it isn't an honor to them and they want it gone. And they really don't like when you point out that the local tribe has said'd want it changed.

And as to Charlottesville (hilariously, people have unironically compared removing the statues there to getting rid of the high school team being the Indians without prompting), I get not removing things that are part of history. But the thing that they won't address is that if this was about 'history', where are all the Union statues in these same areas? After all, they were the winning side and representing the United States of America. Yet Charlottesville, to my knowledge, had 4 statues for the Confederacy and none for the Union.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is no debate over critical race theory

"The Republican operatives, who dismiss the expositions of critical race theorists and anti-racists in order to define critical race theory and anti-racism, and then attack those definitions, are effectively debating themselves. They have conjured an imagined monster to scare the American people and project themselves as the nation’s defenders from that fictional monster," Ibram X. Kendi writes.

8. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Charmbracelet likes this.
  9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    In other news, my local(ish) high school district voted 4-1 that the school that was the Indians now has at maximum 4 years to transition over to a new name. Resolution also includes options for them to put a mural depicting Native Americans, a Native American cultural center, and something in the student handbook about Native Americans so the people who complained this was erasing history now will have to think up a new excuse.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A war over critical race theory is tearing this small Michigan town apart

What kicked this off was the discovery that a group of mostly white students were using a social media app to hold mock slave auctions, "trading" Black students for money. This group also had members post violently racist and anti-Semitic (yes, I know anti-Semitism is a subset of racism) remarks. When the school district drafted a resolution condemning the blatant racism, along with a commitment to increase diversity training with the goal of preventing such occurrences in the future, white parents lost their [poop]. insisting that there was no racism in the town until the school started talking about CRT. For example:

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    "Now, these parents say, their children are coming home from school feeling ostracized for their conservatism"

Controversial stance, I know, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that children that hold mock slave auctions in this manner should, indeed, feel ostracized for a bit.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is some irony about complaining about being ostracized while also touting the idea that inclusion and belonging are bad.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Traverse City is 94% white, and actually one of the biggest small town tourist attractions in the country. They produce cherries, grapes, wine, and other **** rich white people like. Growing up, I learned that it was a city rich white people go to to get away from Detroit. The country club kids I was friends with in school used to go golfing there.

What a blithering idiot, she sounds like a bot.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    A good start. Keep going.

[​IMG]

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Between the Texas and Florida governors, and Trump, the Republican party is truly trying to turn itself into the American version of the Nazi party. It's at least the party of Jefferson Davis and the KKK.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Buying or selling a house while Black is apparently a crime in Michigan

I hope the “concerned” “neighbors” who called the police get more than just the verbal dressing down that they got—a fine at best, social ostracism would be better.

I also hope every house that sells in that neighborhood goes to a nonwhite family. Looks like the neighborhood could use some diversity.

(General) you would have to contort yourself into a level 3 Vinyasa pretzel to believe that the police callers actually thought that the house was being broken into—on a Sunday afternoon, a house for sale, realtor and buyer parked out front and touring for 30 minutes without walking out with copper wiring or anyone’s belongings. This was a racist intimidation tactic, full stop.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    This guy makes really good videos. Very John Oliver inspired.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Governor Northam pardons the Martinsville Seven.

Cliff notes version (because I didn't know about this until today either when the news broke): in 1951 seven black men (oldest was 37, the rest were between 18-23 years of age) in Martinsville, Virginia were tried, convicted, and executed for the rape of a white woman.