main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedi Merkurian And incredibly on the GOP Scumbag Barometer, Kennedy tends to be on the lower end of it. Still an absolutely POS don't get me wrong but compared to other GOP Senators, he is seen as being more reasonable. And even cannot help himself from being a turd sandwich.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I honestly have no idea whether to put this here or in the Gun Control thread but holy crap, I hate Paul Gosar. I expected this the moment I saw the surname of the shooter but it doesn't make my blood boil any less, particularly since it's one of my state representatives.

Oh, and there's also this:

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    blackmyron likes this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    He's making 3/5ths of a point...

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My parents just informed me their suburban church has partnered with an inner city black church for Juneteenth celebrations. My parents are volunteering to help the joint event.

Actually pretty happy with this.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And what does it mean anyway? The aim is to defend the actors? Do that then. And while they're at it, they can give her better villain material.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Boyega fought back, causing the racists to then accuse him of being “mean” or “ungrateful.”

KMT was bullied off social media. Best was bullied to the point of being suicidal.

Yeah, they should have been defending the actors from the beginning. Maybe they’ve realized that now.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is, doing that means choosing a side and corporates do not want to do that. The same thing is happening on abortion in the games industry too. (Thanks to the Jimquisition.)

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The comment was performative. They can't stop people from being mean on social media.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fortunately conservatives will rush with their own performative measures, meaning passing legislation banning 'criticizing free speech' or other ****.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes and no? No one can stop another person from being mean. The only pushback that exists is declaring, forcefully and publicly, that one disagrees with such behavior and finds it wrong. The "performance" is all there is. It's not much, but it's overdue. I think we can acknowledge that it's good that it finally happened.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought they'd already made statements back when TFA and TLJ came out.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My memory is very poor for this kind of thing, but I thought that was retroactive. That is, Tran was already off social media by the time Disney commented that this was perhaps not the nicest way to treat people.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t recall Disney saying anything against the attacks on Boyega.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So to sum up, "Star Wars" and a portion of its fanbase are racist.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As I've said elsewhere and will repeat here: Disney is responding to actual racist comments directed towards her. Not criticisms of her acting, not criticisms of the writing or direction of the show, but explicit racism. So Imma go out on limb here and say that yes, their aim is to defend the actor. Anyone who feels attacked when Disney says "don't choose to be racist" needs to check themselves; because as the saying goes, "a hit dog will holler."

And I've been around long enough to know with a certainty that no matter how good the material, no matter how good the acting, racists gonna racist.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    To Obi Wan you listen

The worst thing about all this happening, again, is that I see so many comments on social media posts about this by people trying to pretend it's not a problem.
    Saying stuff like they're well paid actors so they should put up with it because they know it's going to happen. That the media is making this up to attack certain areas of the fandom because they can't handle any criticism. It's all part of the agenda by Disney/Lucasfilm etc

I don't see the issue with owners of big franchises speaking out against these haters, they're not fans anyway if they behave like this.
    What's the worst that will happen, a small percentage of these so-called fans quit supporting them? Who cares? They're not numerous enough to have any financial impact the way a huge market influencer like China can.

I respect a guy like John Campea, who addressed this on his YouTube show and straight up said that anyone who wants to participate in racist & bigoted behaviour can get the **** off his channel & he doesn't care if he loses 1000 subscribers by calling them out because he doesn't want people like that following him.
    Plenty of other content creators would be more interested in protecting their subscriber numbers rather than say anything.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Agreed. Nothing will stop the scumbags. There's no "if only you'd done x" card to play. There is no "can you meet them halfway?" It's not a percentage.

Is this late? Yeah. Does that mean it shouldn't be done? No. Overdue but definitely needed. Which is what I was badly phrasing before.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Interesting on ****er Carlson and BTS.

On the White House visit

I know this news is a couple of weeks old and some of you posted about it in US Politics but this just came up in my feed this morning.

Apparently speaking out against anti-Asian hate crime is…anti American or harmful to America?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Tucker Carlson lives in Bizarro World where up is down, down is up, right is wrong and wrong is right.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't know much if anything about the bullying of Best. Was it explicitly a race thing or was it Jar Jar Derangement Syndrome taken to the extreme?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The latter. People would confront him in public with nasty comments about how terrible Jar Jar was. He said it got to the point where he was afraid to even go out in public anymore. He also said he had worked really hard on the character so “it’s not you personally, it’s the character” was no consolation. It’s sad.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If I want a definition of entitlement, that is a damn good one.

You don't like a character so you find out who did the voice work, then where they live, all for the purpose of accosting them on public? That's all kinds of messed up.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jake Lloyd was also treated pretty bad, and him developing paranoid schizophrenia.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Two podcast episodes I think is of interest here:

The Modern White Power Movement (2020) : Throughline : NPR
    "The recent shooting in Buffalo, New York, which authorities are investigating as a hate crime, has yet again highlighted the threat posed by domestic terrorism in the U.S. At the center are violent extremists – the most lethal and persistent of whom are white supremacists and anti-government militias. They're part of a deeply interconnected movement which, since the 1980s, has pursued a mission to topple the U.S government with guerrilla warfare. Today, this movement is made up of highly-organized groups with paramilitary capabilities, but it hasn't always been this way. This week, we trace the rise of the modern white power movement."

By Accident of Birth : Throughline : NPR
    "In August of 1895, a ship called the SS Coptic approached the coast of Northern California. On that boat was a passenger from San Francisco, a young man named Wong Kim Ark who was returning home after visiting his wife and child in China. He'd taken trips like this before, and expected to come back to the city he was born in, to his life and friends. But when the ship docked, officials told him he couldn't get off. The customs agent barred him according to the Chinese Exclusion Act, which denied citizenship to Chinese immigrants. Though Wong Kim Ark had been born in the U.S. and lived his whole life there, the agent said he was not a citizen.

Wong was moved from steamer to steamer for months. But he was able to contact representatives from the Chinese Six Companies, a consortium of Chinese business owners that often hired legal representation for people subject to discrimination. His subsequent legal battles culminated in the 1897 Supreme Court case United States. v. Wong Kim Ark: a case that would forever change the path of American immigration law, and play a pivotal role in the ongoing battle over who gets to be a citizen of the United States."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.