main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Over in Sanford, FL - just down the road - an African-American driving in a cul-de-sac in a ritzy neighborhood was not only verbally berated by two residents, but they started attacking the car and one managed to throw a heavy rock through a car window.
    To my great shock, they were arrested. But expect this to make the Fox News rounds, and even having DeSantis weigh in...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    So, Marvel put out a new issue of “What If…” where Miles Morales was Thor, and it’s, well,

…yeah.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Both.

Part of the insidiousness of racism (and sexism) is that the bar of quality is set much higher when women and/or POC are involved. Sadly, it also gives people “plausible deniability” when it comes to criticisms. They can claim “I can’t criticize ____ without being called racist/sexist,” even though they castigate stories featuring women/POC while praising white male-led stories for doing the same thing. Case in point, without delving into spoilers, I’ve seen folks rake Star Trek - Discovery over the coals for being woke/unsubtle/in-your-face/SJW/forced agenda/whatever other catchphrase or buzzword; while at the same time praising Star Trek -Strange New Worlds, despite SNW having episodes which, in order of release:

- Used actual footage of Jan. 6th to say “this is where things went to crap on our planet. Don’t make the same mistake.” Yes, this was the first episode!
    - Poked at religion.
    - Had a main character muse about being “one of the good ones.”
    - Talked about PTSD and repressed memories
    - Had a main character extoll the benefits of “radical empathy”

But Heaven help you if you try to point this out to any of them…

In other sci-fi/fantasy news, I was last night years old when I found out that The Twilight Zone was created as a direct response to the Emmitt Till lynching.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My parents went downtown today to volunteer with their church setting up the Juneteenth celebrations for a sister church there which is mostly African American.

Proud of them. Learning little by little.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    oncafar and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Same woman, same energy

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not surprised, necessarily, both that that is a thing going on apparently, and that companies are ill-equipped to deal with it. It requires a level of nuance that they don't feel like using.

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Between TX trying to whitewash history by calling it “involuntary relocation” instead of chattel slavery, and the killing of Jayland Walker, I can’t even right now.

10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The "involuntary relocation" euphemism to replace "slavery" in school programs belongs in the category just below "reeducation through labor" and "special treatment". It also has modern-day and scary implications about asylum seekers who might be "involuntarily relocated" should that terminology enter legal definitions.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    If you aren’t ashamed of your country’s history, you don’t know your country’s history.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm disgusted with my country's present.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh, they do know they just want whitewash it.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    autocorrect messed up the last word there

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... you know that CT would agree with the sentiment you're trying to express? And the one before him? And the one before that? And the one before that, etc.?

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see, campaign ad, Democrats are now KKK, AR-15, the need for 30 rounds, African-American GOP candidate:

I guess his posing here is like an American Eagle showing you its claws.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You mean fangs?

ZanderSolo likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This is ridiculous.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/scho...pal-texas-activism_n_62d3be34e4b0e6fc1a97dfeb

Whitfield wrote a letter to his school in the early morning hours of June 3, 2020, in the wake of protests related to George Floyd’s death.

In the letter, he said education was the “key” to ending ignorance, hate and systemic racism, according to The Texas Tribune.

“It’s a necessary conduit to get ‘liberty and justice for all,’” he wrote.

Over a year after his remarks, Stetson Clark, a former school board candidate, referred to the letter at a school board meeting and accused Whitfield of teaching “critical race theory.”

“He is encouraging the disruption and destruction of our district,” Clark said. The crowd cheered as he finished his remarks.

Whitfield, the first Black principal at a mostly white high school, was placed on paid administrative leave in August 2021. He agreed to resign as principal, but will remain on paid administrative leave until August 2023, The Texas Tribune reported.

Part of the district’s settlement with Whitfield includes an agreement to resolve “disputes and not make any additional public statements,” the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

Nakamura said Whitfield was a “total activist” and referred to the letter he wrote in response to Floyd’s death.

“There is absolute proof [of] what he was trying to do,” Nakamura said. “They have to be stopped now, we cannot have teachers such as these in our schools because they’re just poison, and they’re taking our schools down.”

Nakamura also claimed Whitfield brought national media exposure to the Grapevine-Colleyville school district because he was married to a white woman.​

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Liked” for the part where you said what happened to Whitfield was ridiculous.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  22. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I just got done driving home from Philadelphia. Somewhere around Baltimore there was a really rough looking accident several mangled cars, one of them smoking, the accident just happened and as I passed the very first officer pulled up on the scene. Sure enough this middle aged white guy with a grey pony tail charges the cop car and starts screaming/yelling at the cop. Obviously very angry about whatever happened to cause the accident and more than likely totaled his car. But all I could think is I bet a black man wouldn't run up to a cop car and just yell at a cop.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm gonna bend the rules regarding WDNDSWITJCC for a moment. The lead for the upcoming SW series The Acolyte has been announced, and a certain segment of the population is BIG MAD about it. Who is Amandla Stenberg, and why are some folks so mad about her being the lead in a Star Wars series?

[​IMG]

Oh. That's why [face_plain]

Between The Acolyte, Rings of Power, Star Trek - Discovery, the recently-announced casting of the next Dr. Who, and the Witcher prequel series (to name a few), the melanin is on and poppin' all over fantasy and sci-fi, and I am here for all the BIPOC goodness =D= Bonus points on the "u mad bro?" charts for ST-Discovery and ST-Strange New Worlds featuring LGBTQ+ characters. And when the usual suspects find out that Stenberg is nonbinary? Woof!

Whether the usual suspects realize it consciously or not, they're saying that their ideal fantasy is a world where melanated (and non-cis/het) people don't exist. Oh wait, lemme amend that. They can only be subordinates or villains; or, in the case of queer characters, hawt bi polyamorous wimmen :rolleyes:

Of course, if you point out any of this to them, they will utterly and completely lose their [poop], so anymore, my go-to comment is: If seeing characters with melanin featured a story gets you all up in your feelings, consider the possibility that the story is not for you. Consider also the notion of being okay with the idea that not everything is for you [face_peace]

oncafar, TCF-1138 , MrZAP and 6 others like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I demand that I see characters who look exactly like me on screen in every show I watch just like when I used to watch Fraggle Rock.

oncafar, TCF-1138 , MrZAP and 4 others like this.
  25. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    There are definitely people who are mad about them being black or non-binary.

I'm not mad, but I do think she's a bad actor. Like really bad. So...there may be legitimate, non-racist reasons that people might be unhappy.