main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And I have exactly zero problems with those reasons*. It's the folks who use terms like woke, SJW agenda, diversity hire, and similar buzzwords who earn my ire.

*With that having been said, it has also been my entirely informal observation that the threshold for what is considered good or bad is inversely proportional to the amount of melanin present. See Also: my observation upthread regarding ST-Discovery contrasted with ST-Strange New Worlds. And to be clear, I'm not saying that you specifically are holding a double standard, merely that a double-standard shows up often enough as to be an observable phenomenon.

2. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  3. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    None of the officers who killed Breonna Taylor are charged. I have not seen the evidence against three of the four officers on the indictment, so I won't comment there. The fourth officer is Brett Hankison, an officer who was at the apartment, did not fire at Taylor, but did fire into the apartment and was charged by the state on those actions. The jury acquitted him, and now the federal government is charging him on the exact same actions. Whether or not the jury in the state case made the right call this reeks of double jeopardy.

4. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    *enjoys the silence of black characters replacing white characters in Netflix’s Sandman*

The silence from both the racist crowds and the super pro-black crowds has been heavenly. I LOVE seeing black characters in art or media that doesn’t singularly focus on them being black. More regular characters please!

Vialco likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think a majority of characters who are black don’t have that as their main or even any character trait.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    File Under: Things I Learned When I Was Just Now Years Old

The first "Top Gun" competition was held in 1949, and the winning team was a squad of Black pilots who won despite being forced to use inferior planes while competing against white pilots in state of the art aircraft. Folks were so mad about that even the trophy "disappeared" for 55 years.

7. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    That hasn’t been my experience. It feels like so often black characters are treated as “other” (as in there’s something unique about them) or they are aggressively or obviously pro-black.

A good job of avoiding this was in the second season of the HBO show “Love Life”. They have a black man where his blackness isn’t treated as some big deal, it’s one of many aspects that make the story and, in the grand scheme, not even that important.

A lot of shows, especially in the socio-political climate we have now, LOVE focusing on how hard it is to be black or the assumed trauma that comes with being black OR the flip side, which is when they focus on how strong the character is and how much they’ve overcome and how much they love being black.

There’s a space for that, sure, but it’s permeated the market in the past decade.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    A district which includes a school named after an author bans a book written by that author. I'll let you guess the particulars about the author, and where the district is.

EDIT: A two-fer:

Black Pastor arrested for watering neighbor's flowers.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Vialco, blackmyron, solojones and 3 others like this.
  9. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I love how the neighbor called back later and said “This is probably my fault.”

NOOOO YOU DONT SAY.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You definitely have to think twice in these matters. Yes there are times to call the police. For instance a young man who happened to be black was at my door late at night once banging on it and trying to open it. I got a text from my neighbor saying he'd banged on her door also asking for money a few minutes before.

I did call the police in this situation because both of us are women who live alone and having any male banging on our door aggressively late at night is scary.

But I did think a few minutes before calling, because I was worried what might happen to this guy because he was black. I heard from the police that they simply spoke to him about stopping this behavior. So that's a good outcome.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ?????

People were on Twitter specifically calling out Neil Gaiman personally for 'ruining Death', so the racist crowds certainly weren't silent about it.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Bigots are now using AI to remove actors of color from trailers of movies like The Little Mermaid.
    The account that Alejandra pointed to has been suspended from Twitter. However those racist altered clips will no doubt continue to circulate on the internet.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    AI was a mistake.

EECHUUTA, Runjedirun, FatBurt and 2 others like this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Not every Spielberg movie is a masterpiece

16. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I didn’t see that nor did I see people applauding the casting choices (though there almost certainly were). It didn’t become a storyline and I enjoyed the silence at the time.

Now the Little Mermaid controversy is different: people are very vocal about that. I don’t care because it’s a race issue about a fictional story about a fictional creature. Representation matters, sure, but I think in recent years it’s importance has been greatly exaggerated.

That being said…. The same people who are criticizing the race switch are likely the same people who were silent when this catastrophe occurred:

[​IMG]

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It... did. Like I said, they were going on Neil Gaiman's Twitter to confront him - and also blame him for the other racist concern, the inclusiveness of Rings of Power, which (using their lack of any sort of understanding) thought Gaiman was part of. And yes, there were articles covering both.
    The Little Mermaid 'controversy' is just the next racist outrage, which likely involves the same people. Because it's all the same issue, i.e. racists trying justify their racism using 'science' and 'reasoning' in a purely made up, fictional setting.

As for "Gods of Egypt", I recalled there was controversy, but as the movie quickly tanked, people ceased to care.

Lordban and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

"The same people" in this case are just called racists.

19. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    My general position on casting for fictional characters is: unless it’s part of the story and/or an important part of the character’s background, I don’t care.

It wouldn’t matter to me if someone recast Harry Potter as a Mexican dude, because nothing about Harry’s story emphasized that his whiteness was important.

But no, to the people posting Ryan Gosling as the next black panther, that isn’t right because then you would have to explain how a white guy is able to pull off the name T’Challa.

However, I do generally oppose any suggestion that Superman could be cast as a black dude, only because there’s a character in DC named Icon that has damn near an identical origin story as Superman (alien from another planet comes to earth and is basically a god) and I’d rather see a movie about him than a black Superman.

EECHUUTA and Gamiel like this.
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There are white Mexicans, black Mexicans, Asian Mexicans, Middle Eastern Mexicans. Just saying a character is Mexican doesn't tell you the whole story.

21. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    …. Yea, sure, but my point was you could switch British Harry out with a Mexican Harry(of whatever color derivative you prefer) and the story could largely be told in the same way.

EECHUUTA and Thena like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
  24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    People are losing their [poop] over one Black mermaid*, one Black elf, one Black dwarf, one Black woman (the queen of Numenor), one Black pre-Hobbit, and one Black man who was the wealthiest man in a kingdom ruled by white people who ride around on dragons. It would be utterly laughable, were it not for, as a meme phrased it:

[​IMG]

*and it's not like we haven't seen a Black mermaid in a Disney tale,even. There was an Afro-Latina mermaid who went on an adventure with Ariel. Really, it's that hte usual suspects demand that all stories be centered on them. They will not abide a POC as a lead character. The only way they wanna see POC - if they see them at all- is either as villains or subordinates to the white (typically male) protagonist. They may occasionally be alright with a POC who acts as a mentor to the white protagonist; but even then, it's the white person who is the center of the story.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It would have been plain photoshop.