main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Raiders of the Lost Ark chase...in reverse!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Binary Sunset, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    All you need to know is stated in the header. Oh, and laugh, laugh a lot.

2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Rad.

Putting aside the obvious affront to physics, it's fascinating to observe how the whole sequence is virtually as effective in reverse, revealing the modest, transparent genius to Spielberg's artistry for clockwork (or counter-clockwork, in this case) set-piece mechanics. Even backwards, both Indy and the main Nazi thug circumnavigate the truck with nearly equal dramatic payoff. The kinetics remain clear and causal; all the punches, kicks, grunts and dust-offs remain visceral; the actors, particularly Ford, still express as sense of pain and violence. Hell, even Williams' score still weirdly functions—the reciprocal, bidirectional nature of such Micky Mousing when stripped down to its basics.

Han Burgundy, Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    [face_rofl] Thanks for posting this, Binary Sunset, and giving me a great laugh (literally bringing to tears to my eyes)!

Such a simple concept for a joke vid, but really hilarious in places. While I was watching it, I was trying to figure out what made it rather interesting beyond the humorous effects. At first I couldn't put my finger on it myself, but I am not surprised to see that the ever-eloquent Ingram_I has articulated it perfectly!=D=

4. Binary Sunset

Dec 31, 2014
    You're welcome.

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The desert chase is one of the greatest action sequences ever IMO, I know it takes its cues from the old serials with the whole hanging on to the truck bit, but the action, the choreography, the perfomances and the score are perfect. I love Indys face as he throws the guy through the window, kind of an 'I'm done messing about now' kind of look.

6. Binary Sunset

Dec 31, 2014
    Gobler, the lieutenant and the gunner coming back up from the chasm onto the trail was amusing.