main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Raise Hell, Praise Dale - NASCAR/North American Racing Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Geez, I wonder which team has a handle on the COT. I know I'm in for a Johnson, Gordon, or Busch win at Dover. Hello, other teams, are you out there? Hello?!?

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I'm in a quandry about Dover. My one friend has a son that works for the DuPonts and might be able to get us their box and I'm like dying at the possiblity, but realistically can't belive it will happen. So what do I do? Wait to see if she comes through or buy tickets on my own and then lose out?

And if Hendrick keeps winning everything I'm going to get bored very fast. They do seem to have the COT figured out.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Reports are that tomorrow, Junior will announce that at the end of 2007, he and Truex will be leaving DEI.

Junior's Busch team, JR Motorsports, will field Cup cars next year for both of them.

Bad news is that without a Cup-level engine program, Junior's team will be buying from Hendrick. [face_plain]

Grist for the nascar rumor mill.

4. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    So I guess there was something to that incident where Jr got in the 5 car at Texas.

Not that I want to say anything yet, because I remember years ago Bill Elliott was going to hold a press conference and everyone thought it was concerning his retirement, and it ended up being an announcement about releasing his own line of snack foods.

Either way, I'm just glad there's something besides the stupid piece of crap car of tomorrow to talk about. Never has one thing weakened my interest in nascar racing more, than the COT and the constant talking and complaining about it. I can't wait until I can go to Dover and see a Johnson/Gordon/Kyle Busch win. Geez.

5. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Looks like all the net buzz was true.
    http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/05/10/dearnhardtjr.part.ways.dei/index.html

Where do you think Jr will go? I'm hoping he ends up with Childress.
    I can see all those people with the red 8 tattoed on their bodies crying now. ;)

6. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    This kind of reminds me of that Bud commercial a few years back where he announced he would change his number to 6.7. I wonder if Jr nation really is acting like that right now.

7. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Probably a few. I'm betting the stores can't wait to start selling new JR merchandise though. ;) Wonder who DEI will field when he leaves.

8. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Why does NASCAR want me to cry? :p

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    LOL. Hendrick wants you to cry. :( ;)

10. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Another sorry COT race again yesterday. If it were up to me I'd sell my Dover tickets. :p

11. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Hehehe, how many do you have? I want to go. ;)

12. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    10. My whole family goes to a race every year. Unfortunately, the planning revolves more around what to do besides the race. That's why I have to get Talladega tickets on my own. :p

13. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Do you park in the middle and camp or do you stay someplace there?

14. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Oh geez, that's another complaint. We're renting a house like an hour away. There's nothing as unpleasant as driving back from a race when you're staying far, far away. They never listen to me though since I'm the youngest. :p

At least we're landing in Philadelphia so I get to run up the Rocky steps which is something I've wanted to do my whole life. :D

15. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I was just in front of the Museum on Sunday. :D Oh so you you are flying in to Philly? Traffic is going to be horrible getting to Dover. Make sure you guys leave super early to get there or the day before.

16. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    We're arriving in Philly on Friday but we aren't staying there. It's somewhere in Delaware where we are staying. And we always make sure we leave early for the race.

What do you guys think about Jr and the 8 team getting penalized 100 points for the wing violation? I think nascar should let teams push the envelope with the POS COT to improve, no wait I mean, allow competition.

17. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Forget about running up the steps. Go eat a cheesesteak while you're in Philly.

18. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I don't know if anyone else caught Speed Channel tonight, but they had a special airing of Wind Tunnel with Rusty Wallace and Darrell Waltrip arguing about who is better, Dale Earnhardt or Jeff Gordon.

Both had valid points(even DW :p), but Dave Despain put it best. Those 2 represent different eras. He basically said that Dale Earnhardt is old nascar, and Jeff Gordon is new nascar.

What's truly amazing is that the 2 fanbases can't stand eachother, yet Dale and Jeff got along great.

19. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I caught part of that wind tunnel show. It was great and I didn't know they got along so well off the track. Oh and Herman is right, go have a cheesesteak. ;) Or actually a cheesesteak with. (means with sauce and onions)

Penalties are fine but you know it kind of takes a bit of the drama and fun out of off track stuff to be so strict. ;)

20. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999

It's not too surprising. Drivers see each other almost every weekend of the year, so they get to know each other and put aside the on-track rivalries.

The fans are a different story. I'm sure the Earnhardt fans saw and didn't like the changes that were coming about due to the "Jeff Gordon Era" and took their venom out on nascar's new poster boy.

21. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Martin to sub for Jeff Gordon when baby arrives? If #24-Jeff Gordon is forced to miss a race to attend the birth of his daughter, series veteran Mark Martin will man the #24 DuPont Chevy, multiple sources within the Hendrick Motorsports organization told ESPN.com Wednesday. Martin on Wednesday afternoon will be fitted for a racing seat in preparation for the substitute role, sources said, and plans to begin stand-by duty for Gordon at Infineon Raceway next month. Hendrick Motorsports officials chose not to comment, saying rather that Gordon would address the matter Thursday at Lowe's Motor Speedway, site of this weekend's Coca-Cola 600. Sources said Gordon personally sought out Martin to stand in for him, and after clearing the idea with Ginn Racing officials, Martin gladly accepted. Gordon's wife, Ingrid Vandebosch, is due the week of the June 24 Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma. Martin will fly to Sonoma, during a weekend when he is slated to be idle from racing. If Gordon doesn't require his services, Martin will remain on hand to coach Regan Smith in the #01 US Army Chevy [Ginn Racing]. According to NASCAR officials, Martin could get in the #24 without practicing in the car, so long as Nextel Cup director John Darby gives his blessing. Given Martin's veteran experience, that would seem to be all but a foregone conclusion. If baby Gordon arrives a week early, sources said Martin will turn the #01 Chevrolet over to Smith at Michigan Speedway and drive the #24 for Gordon. Likewise, in the event the baby is a week late, Martin would sub for Gordon at New Hampshire. Gordon hasn't missed a race in his Cup Series career, a span of 484 consecutive races. The last race run without Gordon in the field was the 28th race of the 1992 season, at Phoenix International Raceway.(ESPN.com)(5-23-2007)

Isn't this like a sign of the apocalypse for Mark Martin fans?

22. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Coca-Cola 600 is almost over. Will it be Johnson? Stewart? Jr?

I just want to know what happened to Kasey tonight. :( I think he is protesting all the advertising that has made him into a boy toy for the female NASCAR fans :p ;)

23. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    My girlfriend, and my sister don't get the whole Kasey Kahne sex symbol thing.

Wow, how about Kyle Petty tonight? That was the coolest thing that's happened all year in Nextel Cup.

24. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I get the whole Kasey thing :p My kiddo and I saw the commercial where he is with the other driver who is saying his Nextel phone is magic and Kasey pulls a rabbit out of his helmet and then other guy's pit crew takes it. We cried out "He stole Kasey's bunny!" (My daughter has a white bunny that she's had since she was 1 ;))

But I do think they should knock off the whole over sexualizing him. Poor kid. :p

And w00t! for Kyle Petty. He was so happy. :D

So was J.J. Yeley[sp?] <----- you can tell I'm new to NASCAR :p

I'm just glad nobody was seriously hurt last night. Ever since Dale was killed I've been wary of watching NASCAR but when you live in Charlotte Race Week is a big thing. When I lived in Tucson it was Rodeo and the Gem Show. [face_laugh] No, we didn't root for our favorite gem. :p

25. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Yeah, I'm sure Kasey just hates all that money rolling from those commercials. ;) :p

It was nice to see some different names up in the top ten this weekend.

Dover next. :D