main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Raise The Candles High - UDC IX (Stranger Things)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my GOODNESS, but I have been so, so remiss in commenting on this wonderful collection. You know: DRL over the summer and blah blah blah. All the usual. :rolleyes: But these have been a true tonic against DRL, and such a joy to catch up on! Oh but if only! This is the only canon there is to my heart, yesire it is. [face_love]

Alrighty, so! Here we are going all the way back on what I missed, for my favorites . . .

Ha! I loved this! So much happiness and healing and sweetness, just as these two deserve.

Gah! This Billy is just . . . just as he should be. And it's true. It is so easy to love, once you're brave enough to open up your heart!

Amen to this a thousand times. And, here's to hoping that DRL is treating you better than it has been. [:D]

Gorgeous! I loved the imagery and the symbolism of the prompt. After seeing the Redwoods for the first last year in person I can really feel this one on a spiritual level, too. [face_love]

Beautiful moment of character study. Nancy has been through such a crucible, and this was a great insight to her thoughts! (I too adore the scene where she dances with Dustin. [face_love])

=(( Oh sweet beautiful pain. Top tier dad!Hopper here!

Amen to that! Fantastic job with a tricky prompt! =D=

Gorgeous point of view! And too true!

Aw! I loved this one. [face_love]

GORGEOUS!!! (I need to find another adjective, it seems. :p) This entire drabble was so spot on perfect, from start to finish. [face_love]

Because moms like Joyce truly are heroes. Wonderful! [face_love]

Oh, ouch. =(( It's heartbreaking, all of the reasons Billy has for pain and fear and anger. But, nineteen will be just the year. [face_mischief]

Again, El and Billy are one of my favorite things to come from this thread. I loved the inception of their friendship here! [face_love]

Powerful, gripping drabble. You did a magnificent job tackling a tricky subject. =D=

I loved this image and could perfectly envision the scene!

Beautiful. [face_love]

Again, this has been such a beautiful collection filled with so much goodness and hope and love. Congratulations on getting this far with the challenge, and I can't wait to read what you come up with for the last set! [face_love]

Truly, bravo! =D=

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Helper - My favorite of the set simply or the peaceful domestic setting allowing Hopper and Joyce some time together.

Haven - Joyce as mother bear to both of her sons. This had a somber tone, but Joyce as protector came through loud and clear.

Heal - I liked this was a show of solidarity as Billy healed. Nicely done. I can see Lucas asleep in the chair still holding Max's hand.

amidalachick likes this.
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I don't know if I can quite convey how much I appreciate all of your comments and likes and support. Please know it really, truly means a lot, and I am so grateful for all of you. Thank you. [face_love]

@earlybird-obi-wan As always, I'm so happy to know you enjoyed this set! Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comments! It means a lot. [:D]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Oh my gosh, you have no idea what that means to me. Thank you so, so much. [:D]

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much for not only reading but taking the time to read through all of these and share your thoughts!

Ugh, I know. Hope it's better now!

Thank you so much! I give full credit to the song for inspiring that drabble, and I'm so glad it resonated with you! And that's so cool you've actually seen the Redwoods. I never have, but I've always been so amazed by them.

Thank you! That was a tough one, but food is always a good fallback. [face_laugh]

Thank you so much, and I'm so happy you liked it! It was one of those ones that popped into my head pretty much fully formed and all I had to do was write it down and tweak a few things. Mike and El really are meant to be and nothing will ever keep them apart. [face_love]

Thank you so much! After what they went through there's no way they wouldn't have a bond and be lifelong friends. Especially when El is best friends with Max too. :D

It really means so much to me to know that you've enjoyed these and they've brightened your world a little bit. Thank you so much, again. [:D]

@brodiew Thank you so much! "Helper" was fun to write once I finally came up with it, so I'm so happy you liked it too. I'm glad you liked "Heal" as well!

Thank you! Joyce and her love for her sons is one of my favorite things about the show, so I'm so glad that came across here.

Thank you so much for reading and for your comments! [:D]

Thank you again, to all of you and to anyone who's read these. [face_love]

4. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 20

Characters:
    #96. Max/Lucas; #97. Hopper/Joyce; #98. Mike/El; #99. Nancy/Jonathan; #100. Steve/Billy
    Genre: All the soft fluffy fluff [face_love]
    Notes: I finished these drabbles maybe a week, or a week and a half ago. I was struggling to come up with anything for this set. And then I finally got these down, and it was another struggle to decide whether or not to post. Because when I look at these I just see something that I wanted to be special, that ended up being more of the same garbage I've been writing all along. Boring pointless fluff that doesn't change anything and doesn't mean anything.

But I know my perspective is definitely skewed these days. And then when I left work today I was flipping through the radio and "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" was on. I've had my satellite radio for almost 8 years and I've never heard that song on any of the channels. I can't remember the last time I heard it on regular radio either.

So. Here's week 20.

Under the spoiler tag I've put together a playlist of all the songs that I've used throughout this challenge for inspiration or background music. There aren't actually many 80s songs, haha. This set in particular was inspired by both the acoustic and original versions of "Candles in the Rain", and "Same Ole Love" by Anita Baker. You don't have to listen to all of these, but please at least check out "Candles in the Rain" (either version). It's a song that has come to mean so much to me, and it's a message I think we all need to hear these days.

1. Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) (acoustic) by Melanie
    2. School by Supertramp
    3. Dr. Jones by Aqua
    4. Beast of Burden by The Rolling Stones
    5. Songbird by Fleetwood Mac
    6. Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac
    7. Diamonds by Rihanna
    8. Stonehenge by Spinal Tap
    9. Calling Dr. Love by KISS
    10. It's So Easy by Linda Ronstadt
    11. Torre de Oro by Johannes Linstead & Nicholas Gunn
    12. Heaven Meets Earth by Johannes Linstead
    13. La Lunada by Johannes Linstead
    14. Rhyme of the Ancient Forest by Johannes Linstead & Nicholas Gunn
    15. Morning Star by Johannes Linstead & Nicholas Gunn
    16. Just Dance by Lady Gaga
    17. I'm Eighteen by Alice Cooper
    18. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
    19. The Promised Land by Bruce Springsteen
    20. I Will Play A Rhapsody by Burton Cummings
    21. Ordinary Day by Vanessa Carlton
    22. Same Ole Love by Anita Baker
    23. Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) by Melanie & The Edwin Hawkins Singers

Thank you so much to everyone who's shared this journey with me, especially @earlybird-obi-wan and @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha. It truly means more than I can put into words. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy this final set. [face_love][:D]

Lay down, lay down, lay it all down
    Let your white birds smile up at the ones who stand and frown

So raise the candles high, cause if you don't we could stay black against the night
    Oh raise them higher again
    And if you do, we could stay dry against the rain - "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" by Melanie & The Edwin Hawkins Singers

96. Archeology

Max snatches the photo strip from Lucas. He's making bunny ears and she's giving him the finger, they're making stupid faces, they're laughing, and finally they kiss.

"You can keep them," Lucas says.

"Fine, whatever," Max says, shoving it in her pocket.

But when she gets home she takes a shoebox from her closet.

Inside there's a tiny stuffed shark, a garishly bright scrunchie from El, a picture of her and her dad at the zoo. Another picture of her clutching her first skateboard. Letters, cards, snapshots of her life.

She smooths out the photo strip and lays it down.

97. Museum

Her fridge used to display her boys' artwork, an A on a test, or a report from the prize-winning science project.

Now there are newspaper clippings of Jonathan's photos, a couple sketches Will gave her last time he was home, and a postcard from El's most recent trip to California.

They'd surprised her and Hop last Christmas with a framed photo collage featuring a mix of carefully posed portraits and candid moments. It's hanging in the hallway next to one of Will's paintings.

Even hundreds of miles away the kids feel close.

She snuggles next to Hopper and sighs contentedly.

98. Dog

"I had a good time," El says.

"Good." Mike smiles. "That's good. Me too."

Their breath mists in the cold air. After a couple hours of dancing in a packed gym it's invigorating.

They're far enough away from the doors that the noise from the dance is muted. Even with the parking lot lights, Orion and his faithful dog are clearly visible overhead.

"El," Mike says, then pauses.

"Yes?"

"I, uh - " Mike takes a deep breath. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mike," El says.

Her smile shines brighter than Sirius as their lips meet in a gentle kiss.

99. Junior

Nancy takes a deep breath and smooths her blouse.

She's meeting her new intern today. Her first intern.

She wants to do more than give career advice.

She wants to offer the encouragement and support her mother never got, that first Barb and then Jonathan have always given her.

She wants to teach her to be herself, to fight for truth and justice, to trust her instincts and never back down when she knows she's right.

"Go get 'em, Nance," Jonathan says, his eyes meeting hers in the mirror as he hugs her.

He kisses her cheek, and she smiles.

100. Scar

At first Steve's disappointed that he's back in Hawkins and his parents are away.

But he can't stay sad.

Not when he and Billy are spending the Fourth of July weekend with friends who've become family.

Not when Dustin runs into his arms shouting "STEVE!" with a huge smile.

Not when Joyce hugs them both, asks how life is on the West Coast, tells them she's happy they could come.

Not when he's holding Billy close during the fireworks and even closer later.

Not when Hawkins is far behind them, and there's an open road ahead, and they're going home.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Mira_Jade likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations on completing these. Gentle, loving everyday moments, the best kind for treasuring!! [face_love]

amidalachick likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats on finishing and the last set was just beautiful with the inspiring words

7. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for your kind comments and all of your support! [:D]

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for your lovely comments and for sticking with me and my fluffy little world through this entire challenge! [:D]

Once again, I really do appreciate your readership, and it really does mean a lot to me. Thank you. [face_love]

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent set, amidalachick! I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but your writing really captures 'the slice of life' aspect. While sometimes I feel like I have to keep it light or dark, your writing offers a peace in their future, free of monsters and pain. I like it. A lot. Excellent work. Archaeology and Museum were my favorites of this set.

Keep your chin up about production. I'm feeling a bit of a drought myself, but you'll get there. So will I. I think it might be time to return to Hawkins. ;)

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was such a perfect, GORGEOUS set to end your collection on! [face_dancing] [face_love]

What a gorgeous use of the prompt! And, on top of the photo session between Max and Lucas being so perfectly in character, these little collected bits and pieces are just beautiful. I could see Max doing this. [face_love]

Another fantastic use of the prompt! And, honestly, I accept only this one possible future for Joyce and her family - and all these dear characters, really. [face_love]

AND THIS PROMPT TOO! Very clever, and appropriately Mike/El sweet and darling to boot.

I just loved this! Nancy has fought for what she has, in more ways than one. Now it's only fitting that she passes that hard won wisdom down. And Jonathon is there to support her every step of the way.

It's super fitting that the last prompt, Scar, be about healing - this felt like possibility and freedom in the best of ways. A beginning in the ending! [face_love]

I enjoyed every word of these drabbles, and thank you ever so much for sharing. Congratulations on completing the challenge! [face_love] =D=

10. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. Everything - writing, reading, commenting, replying to comments - is a struggle still but I truly do appreciate your readership and comments more than words can say.

@brodiew Thank you so much! [:D] "Archaeology" and "Museum" were the toughest ones to figure out, so I'm so happy you liked them in particular. And thank you for the encouragement! All the best with your writing, too, and I hope to read more from you soon. :)

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely, detailed comments! It means so, so much to me that you enjoyed these. Thank you. [:D]

Once again, to everyone who's read/liked/commented, it really means a lot. Thank you. [:D][face_love]

Mira_Jade likes this.