main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Random Sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MASTERof_SITH, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTERof_SITH

MASTERof_SITH Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Hi guys, first message here.
    Great forum, i'm in love with it.
    I was reading something bout lighsabers replicas, and a liked alot what you said about Random Sabers. So i went to the page, and sent an email to the guys, but i had no answer. I tried to send again, but still anything back. It's something like 10 days when I wrote them first time.
    Someone knows if these guys are still at work, or maybe have quitted?
    Waiting for news about....

2. kenobibale

kenobibale Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2005
    hey saw your post i too have been in contact with random for a few months they are building me five hilts for my fan film but this last few weeks there email has been down there is a notice on the website they are trying to fix it. thank god i saw this post i was beginning to think random had decided to give up on me from my constant emails with design and refinement ideas to the sabers but dont worry they will get back to you eventually

kenobibale

3. MASTERof_SITH

May 25, 2005
    I saw the notice on yhe main page, but i was wondering when that notice came out and i didn't have a clue, could be ages it was there.
    But if as you say it was loaded a few weeks ago we will have answers as soon as they fix the mail server.
    Good news indeed.
    Thnaks, and tell me if and when they'll answer you.

4. vegeta021

vegeta021 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2000
    kenobibale so your the guy on the list with the 5 sabers. I was curious what they were for. Sith be patient with the eamil thing is causing choas. I have an EL saber they are going to make for me I cant wait.

5. MASTERof_SITH

May 25, 2005
    GREAT!
    I got answers from Ryan this morning (yeah, i'm italian and it's morning here :) ).
    I am starting a project, I will post sketches and stuff soon!
    Let me know if you got your answer too, I think so...

6. kenobibale

Feb 24, 2005
    yeah im the guy with 5 sabers on the list cant wait to get them.sith i am glad to hear they got back to you they also replied to me jus with the email thing and epIII they are swamped

7. vegeta021

vegeta021 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2000
    Kenobi keep me posted on the fan film. I would love to see it when it is completed. Sith here is the pic I sent to Random Saber. I did it in MS Paint since thats the only program I have. The saber is going to be EL ready. I wanted something that was simple yet looked good.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=255334

8. MASTERof_SITH

May 25, 2005
    Well done Vegeta, really cool project.
    Reminds me alot the Luke's one oh ROTJ...
    Maybe my sketch will make you laugh, i did it free handed, than scanned and coloured it with Pixia.
    The work is really primitive ;-)
    I will post my project soon though...

9. vegeta021

vegeta021 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2000
    Thanks Sith. As long you like your saber that is all that matters. Also I was influenced by Luks ROTJ saber, I plan on having a blue blade I think they show better. I went through about 8 designs until I settled on this one. For some reason it just seemed right. I would like to see your design when you post it.

10. MASTERof_SITH

May 25, 2005
  11. kenobibale

Feb 24, 2005
    yeah will keep you posted on the film cant wait to get my hands on the sabers i will try and post my custom design its heavily influenced by obi wan kenobi and kyle katarn jedi outkast the other sabers are for my friends dont know if they want their designs posted so for now i will just try and put mine up. your designs both look great, especially sith looks great hand drawn.

12. SaberClaw

SaberClaw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2004
    Maybe this is the wrong forum, but how are Randomsabers compared to Parksabers? Which is better suited for dueling? Which is more sturdy and could take a fall?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

13. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    My two cents:

Parks' hilts look more professionally made. They also include blade and electronics. Given those two qualities, they're quite expensive. They also are specific designs, so you will find others sporting the same hilt you carry (unless you commission Jeff to do a unique hilt, but I'm guessing that's prohibitively expensive.)

The Randomsabers hilts have the look of being made by a skilled machinist, but not as flashy as Parks. They generally don't have any electronics. So they're considerably less expensive. And his are made from his customers' designs, so while certain hilts may be similar, they are all unique.

I had one of the original Parks hilts. I traded it to Ryan for one of my own design, "Schere," if you visit his site.

14. SaberClaw

May 23, 2004
    THanks for the insight. It is nice to hear from someone who has owned both. But I ask this,
    how is the durability of the hilt and the blades on both? I am asking because I am starting a dueling club locally, and we know that some will get carried away and not pull their shots. Hilts will get dropped and against either tundra or concrete how likely is it that they will break? Against a vigorous padawan wil the blades break? If so which would first the random or the park?

15. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I don't imagine that either would have a sturdiness problem, though Randomsabers generally have fewer parts, so fewer parts to break.

As far as dueling, I don't think Ryan at Randomsabers uses EL blades, though he can make hilts capable of taking them. His blades are just acrylic rods. Parks uses polycarbonate EL blades, and from my limited understanding, polycarbonate tends to be stronger than acrylic.

Just to muddy the water a bit, look at www.rlsa.com. Their sabers are somewhat plainer than the Random sabers, and are similarly priced, but each one is unique (his designs, usually not the customers') and he uses polycarbonate blades for dueling and EL kits (not for dueling.) The best feature is that if the saber has a price on it, it's available now, not 8-10 weeks (Parks) or several months (Random) from now.

16. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Just as an admendment, Random uses whatebver you want. You can use wood, polycarb, fiberglass, composite...Acrylic is what he sells seperate for look, not for battle.

17. MASTERof_SITH

May 25, 2005
    Hi guys just a little update bout random sabers.
    The are now developing carbon fiber blades, just as like as the one seen in the movies (without post-prod effects, they look just as metal blades) made expecially for dueling...
    Surelly they're not as good looking as an EL or acrilic coloured blade, but they're perfect for dueling clubs......
    I think' i'll but both the acrilic and the carbon fiber blade for my saber....

18. SaberClaw

May 23, 2004
    I am highly considering the carbon fiber blades and wrapping them in reflective tape, ala RotS.

19. kenobibale

Feb 24, 2005
    recently saw those carbon fibre rods on random seriously thinking about getting some cause i was just thinkin about using bamboo canes for my duelling rods. i used to mess abound with bamboo years ago really heavy duelling and i have only broken two in all these years since episode I but damn those carbon fibre ones look great

20. Kravin

Kravin Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    The Randon sabers, when it shows a price of $70-125 does that include all the electronics?

I LOVE the haste saber. This one with a Crimson Blade would look very sweet!

21. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I always thought their hilts were solid, and the stunts had a hole through them for the blade....

22. vegeta021

vegeta021 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2000
    Kravin the price is for the saber hilt only, any electronics would cost extra. Your best bet is to send an email. They are good at answering questions and letting you know what they can do. Just be patient they are swamped with emails.

23. JediMasterJoeV

JediMasterJoeV Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    also you can send them the electronics and they will install them for you. I e-mailed Ryan a few time and normally he would respond back in a day or two, their very busy. and their good people.

24. SpastikMonkii

SpastikMonkii Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Can someone tell me if the blades Randomsabers sells, the acrylic colored ones, specifically the 3/4" models, will stand up to dueling? I realize they're called battle blades but nowhere in the description does it say they can be used for dueling. I'm just curious if anyone has bought one and put it to the test. Thanks

25. The_awesome_jedi

The_awesome_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Monkii, i got some free of charge, so i'll try it out for you. I only use 3/4 in. redwood dowels for dueling though. light, tough and cheap= best blades ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.