main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Random Sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MASTERof_SITH, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yes, they are. They are just extremely busy these days.

2. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    That's what I figured, but you never know these days. They could've been hit with the old "Cease & Desist Force b*tch slap". I'll have to work on my patience.

3. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    nothing against you but I would hope Ryan had stopped taking orders to catch up on his current ones. I mean, I put my design in in July and it will probably be another couple of months, at the least, before I get my saber.

This is by no means a rant against Ryan and Random. More just my own frustration and wanton need for my saber.

4. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Dude, I know what you mean. I would hope he'd halt any incoming orders until the backlog is caught up. I'd much rather wait until I know he's not getting hammered with orders. It'd be much better to wait and know I was getting a quality product than to have him rushing thru other people's orders and not giving them the attention he obviously devotes to them, at least judging from the pictures on the site. The way I figure it, my saber has existed on graph paper for the past 11 or 12 years. A few more months won't matter. I'll need to come up with the cash anyway. I mainly want to get an idea of whether or not he can actually do it (I'm assuming he can from what I've seen) and how much it'll run me.

5. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    I don't think Ryan really rushes anything. The sabers coming out now look just as good if not better than before.

But, yeah, I think the wait is worth it. I mean I never thought I'd be able to design my own saber save making it myself.

6. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Same here. If I had access to a metal lathe I could make it myself, but I haven't used a metal lathe since high school and that was my sophomore year no less. That's nearly 20 years of being out of practice. I'd rather pay someone to do it right than try doing myself & possibly screwing it up. From what I've seen in his galleries, I'm pretty confident he can do it. The design is kind of a combination of Luke's RotJ & Obi-Wan's RotS/ANH sabers with my own touches in there as well. Shouldn't be too tough.

7. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    he's been knocking off a lot of sabers recently. There's still maybe 20 people between the top and me. So I think sometime in January maybe. My friend's design is very simple and coupld be done in a day. Mine however has a pommel with cubes, ala Obi Wan TPM, yet cut on a bias. I guess that have to make custom jigs to do it.

8. Ravn

Ravn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    I was on Ryan's status list like 2 months ago along with my 50% payment status, but then I disappeared off of it. And now I haven't heard from him either. I hope he doesn't get a heart-attack or something.

It's always better waiting for quality, rather than getting some piece of crap :)

9. Sidra_Darkathean

Sidra_Darkathean Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    I have finaly sent in my design and my best friends but there are like a whole lot of people in front of us [face_laugh] but at least I think my friend might get his on his b-day in june

10. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I was thinking about ordering a Random Sabers lightsaber... But i debated on WHEN to order it. Seeing as im not even sure when i'm doing that particular costume

I had contacted them a while ago(like back in august or something), and i was shocked with the prices.. in a good way that is. The particular saber i was looking at(someone got to making it before i did lol.. and they might be on this forum?) was around $180 with an EL core, and $80 for just the hilt(these are probably way off now because i dont even have the original email.. eep!). Although i was/am not sure if i should go all out, or just get the hilt...

11. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    You can basically do some math by ading up all of the days they estimate it will take them to get all of the sabers ahead of yours done. That's what I did. Be prepared for a time shock - I've been on the list since August and I doubt I'll get mine before mid-June. And don't forget, your total won't be precise because it doesn't take weekends, holidays or sick/personal days into consideration...

-Kyle

12. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    I'd go all out, and I'd only get EL if you have to. It might be cheaper in the long run to get an LED saber from them.

-Kyle

13. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    I emailed them finally(lol) and asked for a price quote. I'm hoping to be able to go all out... because the saber is beautiful(i'm such a girl). I like that you can atleast do a down payment on it, thats very helpful for me since i onlt get paid twice a month on specific days

To be honest, i'm not very electronic savvy.... So i honestly dont know the difference in performance between an EL and LED...

14. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    Checkout the front page of the www.thecustomsabershop.com and the basic info link in the middle. There have been some basic changes to the description (like correcting my crappy grammar and adding to the summary) but it should help you decide. BTW I wrote it with the input of the forum members and Tim is using it for that.:D

15. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    wow you are a LIFESAVER. I'm glad i atleast have basic knowledge on it so im not jumping in blind.

i do like the idea of the LED, now that i know the difference. But does RandomSabers do LED? All i read what that they did the EL

16. xwingband

Aug 25, 2001
    You can request an "LED ready saber" which means an empty hilt ready for the electronics and 1" blade. If you want them to do all of the assembling then you are stuck with EL. If you can do costumes stuff like soldering electronic shouldn't be that difficult.;)

17. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    oh god.. me with something hot that can cause bodily harm *remembers the incident with the hot glue gun* .. Uh.. yea! i. should be fine.. mhm.....

Actually im thinking.. budget wise.. depending on how much they charge for it... i'll just get the hilt "LED ready"... i'll "upgrade" it after probably towards the end of this year.. Dragoncon is killin me already lol

18. xwingband

Aug 25, 2001
    I better see you with a saber.:p If all pans out I'll be at Dragoncon with a friggin' cool saber.:D

19. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    lol! Well i'll be there.. the Saber is still up in the air

I'll be the girl dressed as Mirax Terrik walking around with the Goonies and a Quidditch player.

.... and you think i'm kidding...

20. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Hey BurntTheMacaroni,

Ryan from Random Sabers will install the hilt supplies, but you have to purchase them separately from some one else likeCorbin Das or the Custom Saber Shop (make sure that your choice is "ok" with Ryan though - I used Corbin). Corbin was very helpful when I placed my order for my hilt and because I don't want to know anything about wiring and circuits yet, (I'm hoping that I can ease my way into learning more about electronics) having Random Sabers install the pieces that I purchase was a win/win situation for me...

-Kyle

21. xwingband

Aug 25, 2001
    No offense to Ryan, but I don't trust him with something he doesn't know all that well. It's not something he advertises really and he definately goofed some stuff for Corbin before. Keeps the price down to install it yourself anyway.:)

22. Andy_Fett

Andy_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2005
    I ordered mine in November and they said it'd be finished by February, but now it's April and they said it should be done by May, and I'm still #75 on the list waiting to be built. It should be nice when it comes, but it's a long long wait. I wouldn't be surprised if last year's birth day present becomes this years too.

23. Andy_Fett

Andy_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2005
    Just counted, I'm #65 on the list :D

24. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Are you #65 from the top, or from the last completed hilt?

If you count from the completed hilts, I'm around #27.

-Kyle

25. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    Just got my price quote... not so sure i'll be able to get this before Dragoncon. Its one of those saber styles where you have to go all or nothing, because it wouldnt look right without EL or LED in it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.