main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Rangers of the New Republic

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The way the Variety article is phrased does make it seems like the show is shelved indefinitely tho. They cite several Mando spin offs mentioning BoBF and Ahsoka and then mention that Rangers isn't being worked on with parentheses. Does make it sound like only Boba and Ahsoka are relevant anymore the way that it's being phrased.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This show never sounded compelling to me in the first place, so can't say I'm disappointed that it's cancelled. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the world-building in Mandalorian has been very good, there is little sense as to how the New Republic is different from the Old Republic or Empire, the story could easily be taking place pre-ROTJ and little would be different.

Maybe they could have done a better job setting the stage with Rangers, but I think the better course would be to make a feature film or two in the post-ROTJ NR setting first.

indydefense likes this.
  3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yeah but it's not cancelled. :rolleyes:

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Not cancelled, just not having any further development other than a rough outline written nearly a year ago and no schedule when any further development will begin...

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    i think 23-24 is when this gets out.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Where was this reported? Certainly not in the Variety article which stated only that it wasn’t “currently in active development”.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I bet it won't be worked on until in a year.

8. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    With BoBF, Mando 3, Andor, and Obi Wan on the horizon, not really a big deal.

indydefense likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Indeed, and it seems unlikely that when they sat down with their vision Boba Fett was not such a big part of it. Now they have the Mandalorian, TBOBF and Ahsoka all interweaving to end with the big ending (which I would guess would have been in ROTNR anyway). ROTNR is not cancelled, just low priority as it is a few years away now (especially with TBOBF pushing things back).

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    BOBF, Mando 3 and Ahsoka will likley come out before Rangers.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    And Acolyte, and Rogue Squadron, and Jedi Fallen Order 2, and every other Star Wars project until the sun explodes. :p

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah most likley the last show right up there with Lando in late 2023.

13. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    That's what ''not being in active development'' means tho it means they aint working on it on any level at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I know what it means. However, nowhere in the article did it mention that there was nothing but “a rough outline” and that there’s no schedule for when development begins. That’s what I was referring to.

CrazyOldJedi and DarthTalgus like this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's an educated opinion.

Variety announce upcoming projects but do they say everytime when they're shelved or on hiatus, not that ROTNR has been shelved? I remember when LFL released KOTCS, Variety announced Allan Quartermain and the Jewel of the East with Richard Chamberlain returning in the title role. As far as I'm aware Variety has never followed up to say it was shelved.... no doubt after Indy 5 it may once again be speculated on.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am much more willing to trust Hollywood reporter or variety or deadline over literally any other leaks. Half the time they probably leaks Lucasfilm gave them explicitly.

17. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh yeah sorry, misread your post

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I knew with Carano gone from the project it would be a difficult sell as she was the face of the Rangers. Still we got Obi-Wan coming up and that could be the biggest series after the Mandalorian. Hopefully the book of boba is good and andor is decent.

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

I give up, I really do.

BigAl6ft6 and cwustudent like this.
  20. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    The moment people see Cobb Vanth: Ranger of the New Republic, they'll forget all about Cara Dune if they haven't already. Or bring Iden Versio in as a lead character.

21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a feeling that it's being reworked into something else.

Anyone else?

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    They might do that... but we might have no way of knowing if they don’t tell us!:p

Cara and Cobb are both referred to as “Marshals,” not Rangers in TM proper, and even in the old Legends EU, there wasn’t really a “New Republic Ranger,” so even older geeks don’t know what it *could* be.

Unless they confirm it was meant to be a Cara Dune starring series, we’ve no way of knowing for sure that was the idea, and as long as the general idea is “Badass Normal New Republic Heroes,” that could be anything from commandos, to pilots, to investigators, to all of them.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m leaning toward Cara and Cobb were meant to show up in The Book of Boba Fett as marshals fighting against the rising underworld and Rangers of the New Republic is something else. Because again they were called “marshals” not rangers in Mando. Now it’ll just be Cobb and maybe a new character. I’m still hoping for my Paul Sun-Hyung Lee led Rangers series.

Lulu Mars and godisawesome like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Frankly I want Sun-Hyung Lee and Dave Filoni bored X-Wing jockeys blowin stuff up before this one.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Or make a wholly new character. This isn’t that hard. If Rangers was important to the overall plan it will happen. Carano being gone won’t stop that.