main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rank Rogue One among Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Dec 15, 2016.

?

Where does Rogue One rank?

1. Best

36 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 2nd best

58 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. 3rd

112 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. 4th

131 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. 5th

87 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. 6th

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. 7th

15 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Worst

27 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

Kathleen Kennedy has been referring to Rogue One as an experiment as of late and I think I know why.

The premise of the film is to make a 'normal' war movie set in that universe. Normal as in the characters are much closer in mindset to ours whereas the "Jedi/Skywalker" saga films have scenes where Luke goes and finds Vader on Endor and begs him to let go of his hate and anger and go away with him.

How would that have gone down had Luke been able to convince his father before they had their duel and Luke's unfortunate run in with the Emperor's lightning hands?

"Hey alliance friends, guess what? Darth Vader is good because I let him know he had a choice to be good! Oh and he's my father too. You're gonna be cool with that right...?"

There were still some of the goofier black and white thinking on the part of some of the characters. Krennic to Vader "So am I still in command??" as if that was the only thing he should be worried about.

I see Rogue One as the separation of the mythology where the saga films deal with "gods and mortals intersecting" where Rogue One is about mortals dealing with the fallout after the war between the gods. (As in the Jedi and the Sith.)

2. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I'll have to see it again to really solidify my opinion on it, but for now I'd say it's about middle of the pack.

1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) Star Wars / New Hope
    3) Force Awakens
    4) Return of the Jedi
    5) Rogue One
    6) Phantom Menace
    7) Attack of the Clones
    8) Revenge of the Sith

LANDO_ROCKS and 11-4D like this.
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I really don't like ranking these movies. I just like to say that every movie is an extension of A New Hope, which is my favorite movie of all time.

And I'll just say this is a more than worthy addition to the saga.

4. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Still have yet to see RO, but here are my tiers as of now. Based on all of the reviews and reactions I've seen I'm expecting it to fall somewhere between Tier 2 and 3

Tier 1
    ESB

Tier 2
    ANH, TFA

Tier 3
    ROTS, ROTJ

Tier 4
    TPM

Tier 5
    AOTC

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's hard, because I've only seen it once and it's so different from all of the others. I guess if I had to rank them right now (and this could easily change upon repeat viewings), go:

1. TESB-Still the best imo. As close to a "perfect" SW as we've ever gotten.

2. ANH-Started the trend and despite some issues/wonky elements, it still holds up remarkably well overall almost 40 years later.

3/4. TFA/RO-I actually don't know which one I prefer right now. They both do some things better than the other, and some things not as well to.

5. ROTJ-The good in it is REALLY good, and it hits almost all of the emotional beats well. But the second act DRAGS badly, the Jabba stuff, while fun, feels disconnected from the rest of the film (which is an issue since it takes up most of the first act), Han and Leia are underused, the Ewoks, etc. Still the good far outweighs the bad imo.

6. ROTS-The best of the PT by far. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid do really well, the darker tone fits, and it does quite a few things well. But it's still tonally inconsistent, Anakin doesn't work as a character imo, the fall of the Jedi happens too fast, I loathe what they did to Padme's character, etc. Still it's the one PT film that I'd actually recommend to people.

7. TPM-It's not good imo, and a lot of it is boring. But it at least has some nice visuals, some good location shooting, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor (for what little he gets to do), and Ian McDiarmid (ditto) are all good. It's the best Padme out of the three films, and the lightsaber duel is well-staged, etc.

8. AOTC-It's the only SW film that I cannot watch all the way through in one sitting. It alternates between boring and painful most of the time. Ewan, Ian, the sadly underused Sir Christopher Lee (RIP), and Jango Fett are the only saving graces for me.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Not sure - Maybe

ESB

Then ANH, R1 and TFA are all interchangeable depending on day.

ROTJ

Then a long way below,

ROTS (though sometimes I can place this below TPM)
    TPM

AOTC

7. Cassian29

Cassian29 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2016
    Hands down Rogue One is the best Star Wars film since the original Star Wars movie back in the 70's. I even rate it higher than Empire Strikes Back (and until now, THAT was the best Star Wars movie, in my opinion).

Rogue One is a Star Wars film that grown-ups can finally, REALLY enjoy. It was what "The Force Awakens" should have been. All I could think was ... it's about freaking time!

I really hope the film makes as much as TFA, and I hope Disney is paying real close attention.

I would rank the films like this:

1) Rogue One
    2) The Empire Strikes Back
    3) A New Hope
    4) The Force Awakens
    5) Revenge of the Sith
    6) Return of the Jedi
    7) Attack of the Clones
    8) Phantom Menace

Darth__Lobot and fishtailsam like this.
  8. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. RO
    4. TFA
    5. ROTJ
    6. AOTC
    7. ROTS
    8. TPM

9. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    ESB
    SW
    RO
    TFA
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC.

10. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Right now it's second... could move up to 1 or down to 3. Loved every minute. Even now when I am just thinking back to what I saw last night.

ROTS
    RO
    ANH

Can't wait to see it again after Christmas.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  11. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Ive only seen ROTJ...

I'll let you all know when I watch the rest

jaqen, TCF-1138 and DarthEndus like this.
  12. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    ^ No way...you have 357 posts on a Star Wars forum and you've only seen ROTJ? How is that even possible?

Avnar, Darth Droid, PPZVGOS and 2 others like this.
  13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This movie for me ranks up there. The ending battle scenes were epic and way better than tfa. True, this is a different star wars movie than what we are use too, but, boy it was a damn good one. Very bold style of story telling. In my own book, its got to be in the top three. Empire number one, a new hope number two and at 2.5 is rogue one. Rogue one really pushed the envelope as to what is believable.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Early days after just one viewing, but gut reaction is...

ANH
    TESB
    TFA
    RO
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS

Satipo likes this.
  15. PPZVGOS

PPZVGOS Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    1. The Empire Strikes Back

Along with the first Lord of the Rings movie, the absolute pinnacle of fantasy cinema.

2. The Force Awakens

As unoriginal as it may be, it flows brilliantly, the new characters land perfectly (almost) and Kylo Ren kicks as for me. Sets the new trilogy perfectly up.

3. A New Hope

The daddy. A classic tale of good versus evil, an introduction to a whole new galaxy and a new paradigm in film history. Slow pace in first half its only flaw.

4. Rogue One

Choppy editing, weak score and surplus secondary characters prevent this film from joining the first three as nigh-perfect cinema. Beautiful imagery, creative extension of the Star Wars lore and an epic and punchy ending are awesome though.

5. Return of the Jedi

The weakest of the OT by far. BS Ewoks, Leia & Han have little to do. Saved by the Luke/Vader/Emperor face-off.

6. Revenge of the Sith

The only watchable film from the PT. Great opening space battle.

7 & 8 in no particular order go to The Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones. Apart from some interesting visuals and cool light-saber battle here or there, truly atrocious films.

MOC Vober Dand and Satipo like this.
  16. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    From best to worst:
    Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace
    The Force Awakens
    Rogue One

Honestly, though, I think they're all great.

xezene likes this.
  17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'm loving the various rankings. Interesting. Judging by non-hardcore reactions, I think Rogue One is playing better with us than mainstream fans. Muted reactions honestly (boring, slow, weak character development) and this makes me said. :(

Jedi Knight Fett and fishtailsam like this.
  18. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    #1) ESB 10/10 #2) ANH 9/10 these two captured the magic and made Star Wars what it is today. #3) TFA 8.5/10 #4) 8/10 ROTJ #5)Rogue One 8/10 (It could become 4th but will not crack top three) #6) ROTS 8/10 #7) TPM 7.5/10 #8) AOTC 7/10. Rogue One is more enjoyable the more you know about Star Wars. It is the most EPIC of all of them so it depends on what I am in the mood to watch. ROTJ/ TFA has an adventure feel to it that feels more fun and I enjoy the characters a little bit more than Rogue One so I give those two the edge. Rogue One just hits you with so much at the end, I need to see it a couple of more times.

19. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Equal First or Second place.

The editing for the final battle was masterful like in ROTJ.

MOC Vober Dand and Luke02 like this.
  20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    As a hardcore fan myself, this movie really did it for me. To say that I enjoyed this movie is an understatement.

1.ESB (As many have said, this is the Benchmark for the Franchise)
    2. Rogue One-( Earned this spot)
    3.ANH
    4.ROTJ
    5.TFA
    6.ROTS
    7.TPM
    8.AOTC

Darth__Lobot and MOC Vober Dand like this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's a very nice entertaining movie like TFA. So between the two it's a pick-em as how good TFA really is depends so much on what VIII and IX will do.

So for now it's above TFA for me.

ROTS 100%
    TPM 99.99%
    AOTC 99.98%
    ANH 99.97%
    TESB 99.96%
    ROTJ 99.95%
    R1 76%
    TFA 75%

B99, Bowen and Visivious Drakarn like this.
  22. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Rogue One is definitely geared more to the hardcore fans, without a doubt. I thought it was good my wife was bored until it got to the end. I was not bored by the first half I got the references and enjoyed seeing these new worlds and characters. It did take some time to build up steam though. If you are new to Star Wars or don't know much about canon some of it will go over your head.

23. banthatracks74

banthatracks74 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2013
    1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Rogue One

8. The Force Awakens

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  24. PPZVGOS

PPZVGOS Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015

Are you taking the p**s mate? You are on this forum since 2005 and you have only seen *ONE* out of *EIGHT* Star Wars mega-blockbusters?

If true, then do some binge-watching and then come back. Hell, most people on here have seen each film at least 10 times.

Bowen likes this.
  25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I've lost count actually. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.