main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rank Rogue One among Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Dec 15, 2016.

?

Where does Rogue One rank?

1. Best

36 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 2nd best

58 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. 3rd

112 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. 4th

131 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. 5th

87 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. 6th

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. 7th

15 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Worst

27 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    1) ESB
    2) TLJ
    3) ANH
    4) R1
    5) TFA
    6) RotJ
    7) RotS
    8) AotC
    9) TPM

2. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One
    3. A New Hope
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. The Last Jedi
    ..and the rest...Sorry and I caught MAJOR heat a decade ago on these very boards for my almost ludicrous hatred of the prequels but I still find those films unwatchable. Their wretchedness cannot be over stated imho. I don't care to even rank them.

The more I watch Rogue One, the more it impresses me. This film is made in the details, the nuances, from the way the characters talk to each other to the intricacies of how the plot fits together. The Battle of Scarif is one of the greatest SciFi battle scenes ever put on film. The film lacks the emotional depth of Empire, of course, but Rogue One did more to expand the scope and vision of the Star Wars universe than any other film.

Sarge likes this.
  3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    This is a tough list (aside from the bottom two), but here goes...

1) The Phantom Menace/The Last Jedi
    2) Rogue One
    3) The Empire Strikes Back/Return Of The Jedi
    4) Revenge Of The Sith
    5) Attack Of The Clones
    6) The Force Awakens
    7) A New Hope

4. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Honestly THE best new film released since ROTS.

I thought is was fantastic. As a Star Wars film, it is absolutely brilliant. Fits in with the saga perfectly. A story. Characters. The Force is strong with this one. I felt happier seeing it than TFA tbh.

Of course, you really feel for the characters at the film's end.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted third. But I think I admitted in another thread that it's second to TESB for me. Excluding the Galen Marek story, I think R1 could fit into the old EU if you used your imagination. If not, oh, well. Secondly, R1 is one of those films you love more with age. TFA and TLJ are good because of the performances more than the writing. Just my Opinyunnn.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Agreed. If nothing else, I think R1 feels like an old Bantam era EU novel put up on the screen. That's one of the reasons it really connected with me I think.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been getting that same vibe from Solo. Both really give off the feeling that they're early years EU brought to life, which I'm 100% here for.

8. Ruufio

Ruufio Jedi Knight

Dec 7, 2016
    I'm one of those who ranked it as my worst SW film. I can only honestly say, that it was the first SW film I have ever been bored while watching. I've tried to watch it once more since it was released on DVD and I switched it off half way through. I just find it a boring movie. However, I would now replace it at the bottom of my list with TLJ...... what an awful film! And before any butt hurt fan boys jump on me, please remember that this is my opinion, and that me not liking RO does not affect your enjoyment of it!
    P.S. I enjoyed the PT, and would rather watch AOTC, than sit through RO again!

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And TLJ reminds me of the Del Rey days.
    Wonder what E9 will be like?

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The newspaper strips from the late 70s? :p

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You're right. It is your opinion.

Ruufio likes this.
  12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes, fortunately we live in a society where people are allowed to have different opinions and it's okay (and healthy) if they don't share the community-agreed "right opinion"...;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it of course. R1 was the first SW movie that I bought on Blu-Ray the day it was released. I even waited a few years before buying the OT trilogy on Blu-Ray.

La Calavera likes this.
  14. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I have to admit, I have yet to buy the Blu-ray of TFA though I do have a digital copy. I don't really feel tempted to buy anything from TLJ.
    But Rogue One, oh boy, I have the Blu-ray, the DVD and the digital copy set. I bought it as immediately as it was released in Japan and I was even annoyed that it took rather too long to be available here (because they have to insert the Japanese subs and dubs).

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well this might belong in another category, but I'm waiting until the ST is released in a package set the way they did for the OT and PT. For the time being If I wanted to watch TFA I could always watch it on Starz premium channel on Demand.

16. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Just out of curiosity, how did you rate RO among other Star Wars movies?

I don't know if you posted already your ratings, but I'm far too lazy to scroll back. :p

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I ranked it Fourth. Just for the record, I have yet to even buy the DVD copies of the PT movies (I have old VHS tapes of them, but who counts those anymore)?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Jaxxon! He could have his own anthology film.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  20. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    ROTS
    TESB
    TFA
    ANH
    TPM
    TLJ
    R1
    ROTJ
    AOTC

R1 looks really low on that list but I need to make it crystal clear that it's really a case of musical chairs with these films; they change order every time I watch them. I've never not loved a SW movie, regardless of any flaws, so any one could grab the top spot depending on the month and mood. R1 definitely gets better every time I watch it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    You might be on to something. Jaxxon was made canon through a Forces of Destiny episode last week.

22. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    3rd for me, after Empire and A New Hope. The only competition for 3rd is from Revenge of the Sith.

As others have said, Rogue One felt like the Expanded Universe come to life in just about the best possible way.

23. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I can't rate it - I feel it is not be fair. I will say this though, it deserves to be watched with The Saga.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    First. Just above ESB and ANH.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Previously I ranked it 4th but voted 5th in the poll and that's probably still fair a year or so later. It's more or less even with ROTJ, and the similarities between them are pretty surprising. It's nowhere near as trendy to dislike RO, it's not the lightning rod for opinions as the ST films are, but mainly I find it has diminishing returns over time and lacks substance (especially post-TLJ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.