main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rank Rogue One among Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Dec 15, 2016.

?

Where does Rogue One rank?

1. Best

36 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 2nd best

58 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. 3rd

112 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. 4th

131 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. 5th

87 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. 6th

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. 7th

15 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Worst

27 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    1st, but what excites me so much about Star Wars these days is that Rogue One has shown me that my favorite Star Wars film could still be in the future. It could be Solo. It could be one of David and Dan’s films, one of RJ’s trilogy, the Kenobi film, something else. There are so many talented directors and writers out there, and the art teams and ILM are as great as ever.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You know, I've already voted in this poll (ranked 4th), but after re-watching the movie on the completion of the Rebel Rising novel; I think I might even bump it up a notch. IMO it's on the border of ROTJ for third best; maybe even tied. I must've seen the movie dozens of times already since the first time I saw it in theaters and then when the Blu-ray was released; and the end scene on Scariff "Rogue One, may the Force be with you" still gets me right in the heartstrings. Such a great scene.

3. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Yeah, that's a great moment.

I watched it earlier in the week and every time it gets better. And it was pretty freakin awesome to begin with! It also feels less like an anthology film to me and more an integral part of the saga.

celboy and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    1. the 1977 Star Wars film
    2. Rogue One
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Return of the Jedi
    ...all the rest

mirrorbright and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    A joint second with ANH. Just behind Empire Strikes Back. Cannot lavish any more praise on it than that

christophero30 and mirrorbright like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    For me, it’s now:

1. RO
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. Solo
    5. TLJ
    6. TFA
    7. ROTJ
    8. TPM
    9. AOTC
    10. ROTS

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Although I'm sure I've done my ranking in a previous post by how much I like certain movies, I've been reflecting over the Star Wars Disney films: RO, Solo, TFA and TLJ, and have come to the conclusion that RO is the best of all of these films in quality. I feel like it is the only one of the four that really tried to do something original and tell a story that isn't locked in a very narrow way of looking at the Star Wars universe. One of the things that RO did very well was create new characters who drove much of the story, even while including beloved cameos of old characters (which all served the story well, except for Mr. "I don't like you, he doesn't like you either" and 3PO/R2 "cameo"). This is in contrast to Solo which sidelines their new interesting characters more than I would like--Kyra and Enfys.

Kyra vs. Maul could be an interesting film. But to make it they would have to let go of this need to tell every detail of Han doing the stuff we already knew he did anyway, and that was likely more legendary in our imaginations than the telling of the story delivered by Solo. What I really appreciate in Solo is the new stuff. And by all of this I don't mean to say that they can never tell a story about an old character, but there needs to be something cool about it. This is why I think a Lando movie would have been a better choice than a Han Solo movie. It could be Lando's life (his main POV), and Han could feature into it from Lando's vantage point, which would be a new take on Han while the story covers someone we know less about, Lando. But the way they treated Lando's character in Solo wasn't very interesting, so even if they made a Lando movie instead, they probably would have somehow messed it up.

Then without even trying they create these side characters like Kyra and Enfys who are actually interesting and I'd be interested enough to watch an entire movie with those two, and Maul has grown on me as a villain for such a movie. So Solo could be the jumping off point for a sequel, just not a sequel about Han. But naturally I'm sure they have canned the entire sequel idea because Solo didn't do well, but of course the only sequel it seems they were considering was continuing Han's boring path in life where now he becomes Jabba's employee just like we knew he did (like I really have no curiosity about the details, like AT ALL). Han is a far more interesting and legendary character, when left to the imagination where he is larger than life, unless one can actually pull of a movie that does the legend justice, which I don't believe Solo did. It has a fairly unoriginal and dull characterization of both Han and Lando, from my POV.

Another thing RO (and actually Solo as well) did quite well was make the villains people I at least can take seriously. In RO the threat of the Empire, of the Death Star, of Vader, of Tarkin, and even of Krennic and the overall feeling of doom is a very real and very scary thing. This gives a really strong feeling about what the heroes are up against, and that it's not a piece of cake. It's a nightmare. Strong villains help make the story better. Solo I think also did well with it's villains. What's-His-Name (Kyra's boss) isn't as evil as a lot of villians, but that's okay. I can take him seriously as a crime boss. Maul when he shows up, though a little overdone, was indeed scary--this is someone Kyra may not get the upper hand against, and I'm curious how that will play out. Because I suspect she will get the upper hand despite being at a serious disadvantage, and that's interesting to me. Also a more serious portrayal of Maul than his more goofy cartoon character would be interesting.

By contrast TFA and TLJ (most especially TLJ) make the villains comic reliefs. By the end of TLJ I can't take any of them seriously. They all suck. What they have on their side is a massive military force, though they are ruled by buffoons. Although it's true that some bad guys only have that going for them--a massive (though inefficient) military force. But I don't really find that kind of villain force interesting. Because their mighty military force will likely be defeated in one battle anyway in the movie, the focus will still be overcoming all these buffoons--what a challenge. The feats of the heroes will then also just be goofy and comical, and I think the whole story is verging on being silly.

RO like the original trilogy got the right mix of the Imperials and how they can be morons and inefficient (Krennic embodied much of this), but still it doesn't render them useless villains. Krennic is scary to me despite being an idiot. Watching him declare the destruction of Jedha "beautiful" was definitely a moment of "horror." He is that morally insane. There is no reasoning with him. He is a loon of the worst kind. Krennic manages to both be comic relief in a way AND a villain I can take seriously. This is similar to the drama of the Imperial officers in the OT.

TFA and TLJ are very claustrophobic films that don't seem to expand the Star Wars universe or complexify it. TLJ was supposed to be more complex but having reflected on it for months I don't think it really lives up to that hype. Both films just make me feel locked in remixes of the OT, like people can't take any risks and celebrate things that shouldn't be huge risks anyway (like Luke dying in the movie--like whoa, how um, bold). I think that RO is the best quality film because it took the most risks, it invented more, it made the Star Wars universe feel a bit bigger and it utilized realism well. Although it's not the most original movie ever, it did at least try to be original and not be held back by a narrow scope of the Star Wars that came before. It matched Star Wars where it works (like how it got the Imperials right and the doom of the dark side), and expanded where it worked to expand (focusing heavily on new characters and their stories while knowing how to utilize older characters). The older characters were such that I felt I was watching and learning new things about them rather than them just repeating things they have already done in previous movies. (However I am also more curious about Tarkin and Vader than Han admittedly, and I think part of that is because Han has had a lot of screen time compared to villain characters.)

So anyway, TFA and TLJ stick to narrowly to the rubric of the previous saga films, IMO, right down to Snoke even saying the same lines the Emperor did in ROTJ. And Solo just primarily covers a character doing all the things I already knew he did anyway. RO is the freshest of all four films.

Bor Mullet and MS1 like this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    1. TESB
    2. R1
    3. ROTJ
    4. TCW and Rebels
    5. TPM and TFA
    6. ROTS
    7. AOTC and Solo
    8. TLJ

I watched Episodes I through V two days ago, and I just watched Rogue One. Love it! It's nice to watch one of the best SW films after the disaster that was TLJ.

DarthFixxxer, MS1 and christophero30 like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think you’re missing a film on your list. A pretty important one, I think. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    To Bor Mullet you will listen. Truth he knows.

SateleNovelist11 and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A New Hope is stupid. Who needs it anyway? In fact Star Wars sucks, George Lucas is an imbecile and we've all wasted our lives.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, right. But I was referring to Caravan of Courage.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That sucks too. Don't tell @TCF-1138 I said that. :p

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_phbbbbt]

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
  16. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    probably 4th (between ROTS and ROTJ)

17. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    When I last voted on this, It was ranked third (after TESB & ANH) Now its 2nd, I watched it last night after not seeing it for a couple of months, and to me, its still mind blowingly good. I had been watching Solo nearly every other night for a month or two, and that is spectacular too. I rank that 3rd now, ANH is now 4th.

What I do with RO is watch it and then immediately put on ANH - 4+ hours of spectacular entertainment.

I absolutely LOVE the standalone films!!!!

Bor Mullet, EHT and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Even though the wonder of watching the original trilogy can never be duplicated, Rogue One is proof that a Star Wars movie with the feel of the OT can be created.

Ahsoka's Tano, Bor Mullet and Togruta like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The only negative thing about RO is that it has spoiled me immensely. I feel like I now judge all Star Wars films against it, and it’s going to be difficult to top. Never did I imagine that ANH and ESB could be superseded, in my mind. But it happened. Now...it has to happen again for me to be fully satisfied. Damn you, Rogue One!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Rogue One and the CT are the best Star Wars films.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I constantly find myself wondering (with a few story tweaks obviously) how RO could have been the first film for the ST and how much more excited I would be for each new installment! Han and Leia get killed at the start ala Jyns mother, their children escape and find Luke (ala Chirrut) etc etc etc

I also find that even though Chirrut is not a Jedi, he is more interesting than every single one put on film since the OT!

Togruta and Sarge like this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Dead last. Sorry, but I honestly don’t get what so many people see in this one. I don’t hate it and it has a few nice moments, but overall it just doesn’t really work for me on any level.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You’re wrong, but that’s OK. Nobody’s perfect. :)

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    e.g. the eyegasm of the last ~30 minutes which even includes an epic god-mode Vader scene.
    I could watch this as a 24/7 loop

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    DarthFixxxer and MaciekRS like this.
  25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Easily my favorite recent Star Wars movie (not that I didn´t enjoy the others), and the best for me since ROTJ. Actually on par with the original trilogy, that´s how much I like it...

Jarrus, Ahsoka's Tano, Avnar and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.