main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rank the Alien films

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Jedi Joe-, Jan 26, 2015.

?

Which Alien film is your favorite?

1. Prometheus

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Alien

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. Aliens

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Alien 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Alien Resurrection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    1. Aliens

Haven't seen the rest. :p

Darth Basin and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    1. Aliens
    2. Alien

Didn't enjoy any of the others at all. We'll see how Alien 5 turns out.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Alien

followed very closely by

Aliens.

That's it.

halibut likes this.
  4. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    1. Alien (Like Jaws, it transcends genre and is simply a cinematic masterpiece.)
    2. Alien 3 (Tied with Batman Returns as the ballsiest, most intimate sequel to a franchise ever made. I'd love to see more intriguing "failures" like this.)
    3. Aliens (Great, superb, phenomenal actioner, but I do prefer horror.)
    -----
    4. Prometheus (Nice try, Mr. Scott. Next time, nab yourself a halfway-decent script.)
    5. Resurrection (Proof that even Joss Whedon is capable of atrocious fan-fiction.)

To those who dislike Alien 3: Could you at least admit that the performances by the three leads were of the highest caliber (particularly for a horror film)? Sigourney Weaver is a virtuoso as a woman in the throes of a despair beyond despair. If I ever find myself in a completely hopeless situation, I hope I could meet my end with the dignity and purpose of Ellen Ripley.

5. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    It was unfair of me to apply the word "crap" to all the 90s-and-beyond Alien films. Alien3, in particular, is stylishly photographed and directed by one of the greatest filmmakers of his generation. The performances are indeed passionate and on-point. It's the story decisions I detest.

Alien Resurrection was also directed by an otherwise excellent director whose films I generally adore. The script is full of promise, too. But the finished film is too garish and over-the-top, and wildly different from the preceding entries. Plus that humalien baby is so goofy and grotesque, it's repulsive and laughable at the same time. The movie just doesn't hold together and it certainly doesn't redeem the franchise.

The less said about Prometheus, IMSIO, the better.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Prometheus
    Alien Resurrection.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

What about that one with James Caan? Alien Nation?

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Alien - just brilliant, one of my favourite films of all time
    Aliens - ups the action but is still fantastic
    Alien 3 - good film, unfairly demonised
    Prometheus - amazing visuals, lacking cohesive story
    Alien Resurrection - no, just no.

9. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
    1. Aliens
    2. Alien

The rest are drivel.

10. Alpha Sloth

Alpha Sloth Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2015
    1. Aliens- 10/10
    2. Alien- 9.5/10
    3. Prometheus-8/10
    4. Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)-7/10
    5. Alien Resurrection- 4/10

11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1. Alien - 10/10
    2. Alien 3 (The Assembly Cut) - 9/10
    3. Aliens - 8.5/10
    4. Alien Resurrection - 8/10
    5. Prometheus - 7/10

Looking forward to Prometheus 2 & Alien 5.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    #9. Although, if we also included the TV series, it could take Femalien's spot on the list!

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1. Aliens
    2. Prometheus
    3. Alien
    4. Alien: Resurrection
    5. Alien 3

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like all of them in varying degrees but for the hell of ranking:

1. Aliens
    (one of my favourite movies ever. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the pinnacle of human film making is a two way tie between Empire Strikes Back and Aliens. Nice try, film, but perfection has already been achieved. My favourite moment in Aliens is every single moment in Aliens.)
    2. Alien
    (definitive slow burner but it just looks fantastic and so many great lines and moments throughout. "I won't lie about your chances, but you have my sympathies" I think sort of sums up thematically what the movie is about. The beheaded robot working for The Company gives a trite consolation for the working space truckers impending horrific demise. Both Alien and Aliens work together perfectly but feel like different movies, which is a hellova trick)
    3. Prometheus
    (a bit more on the philosophical side and the scares aren't as great as in Alien but I like how it connected to the Alien-verse but it also it's own thing. And I think it's kinda amusingly twisted the movie asks the question "Who made us?" and the answer is "A giant albino space alien who wants to kill you because God hates you!")
    4. Alien 3
    (even though Finger has disowned this straight up, I do like it. Alien 3 is freakin' David Fincher, dammit! I still really enjoy it for his style, which permeates every moment of the film. Ton of great lines in the movie as well ("Murphy." "How do you know?" "That's his boot.") As for the whole "they killed Newt and Hicks and Bishop (basically)" of it all, I think that is a terrible decision due to the end of "Aliens". However, I think it works with the tone of Alien 3. The Alien, the company, has completely destroyed and isolated Ripley until she has nothing left, and they even take away what helped her find peace at the end of "Aliens". Killing them off is a tonal betrayal of Ripley's struggle of Aliens. However, the Bishop/Newt/Hicks thing does work in the context of Alien 3 as a single film. If that makes any sense, heh. The "Bishop rebooting" scene is a really nice example of how the killing off of the characters plays into the tone of Alien 3. Bleak, bleak, bleak. And it clicks dramatically. Alien 3 is a very dark movie, the darkest of the entire series, but I think it earns it. Great summation of Alien 3 I read on a blog somewhere "If after a long week at the office you want a brilliantly acted movie about the inevitability of death, you could do worse!")
    5. Alien: Resurrection
    (Alien Resurrection has a couple of fantastic beats scattered throughout. "Waste of ammo, man!" Ripley's speech to the "WHAT'S INSIDE ME?!" guy. It's a Joss Whedon script so there's going to be some interesting lines and character moments scattered throughout. Very, very weird movie. For that, I enjoy it. That Newborn, though. Oy. Bad idea from the jump, no matter how the creature is designed. It's just weak to have a human / alien hybrid when the ALIEN itself is already a freakin' alien / human hybrid concept at it's core. And having it kill the Queen is just like "hey, look, here's the new baddie who beats up the old baddie!" But take the movie up to the Newborn shows up, I think it's an interesting tangent / side story to the Alien-verse)

Anyway, I knew this thread already existed but in the context of the AVP films!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rate-the-avp-films.50015719/page-2

15. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    1. Alien
    2. Aliens
    3. Everything else claiming to be an Alien film.

16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    1. Alien

2. Alien

3. Alien

4. Aliens

5. Alien 3

6. Prometheus

7. AVP 2

8. AVP

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I hardly think Alien Resurrection is worse than the AVP movies. o_O

TX-20 likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    1. Alien

2. Aliens

3. Prometheus

4. Alien 3: The Assembly Cut

5. Staring at a blank wall for two hours

6. Alien: Resurrection

I ****ing hate Alien: Resurrection but I generally approve of the other films in the series (I have not, nor do I ever intend to have, seen the AvP films), warts and all in the case of 3 and Prometheus. That said, they peaked in a big way with the first two.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    1. Prometheus
    2. Alien
    3. Aliens
    4. AR
    5. A3

Why I like Pro the best? It was the most artistic, most visonary. Why AR over 3? AR while flawed it was more original & fun.

TX-20 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    1. Alien
    2. Aliens
    3. Alien Resurrection (a worse film than Alien 3 but more enjoyable)
    4. Alien 3
    5. Prometheus

There's really not much in it between Alien & Aliens. One's a horror film in a space/sci-fi context, the other's an action film in a space/sci-fi context - both rank among the best of all the genres they span. Sheer brilliance.

The rest, though - every one tried to capture something of those two and fell short. Alien 3 was too dreary and dull to capture the grim realism of the original, Resurrection was a touch too wacky and a touch pretentious.

Prometheus aimed at something even better, but fell to pieces when it wasn't able to sustain its potential. Bit of a shame, there was a real intensity that seemed to be promised on every level, but wasn't delivered.

I know AvP isn't being counted, but sadly, it's been the best since the first two masterpieces - simply because it succeeds on its own level. It's a dumbass action/SFX movie that doesn't pretend to be anything else, and was fun to watch. I'll take that over a few lame and/or pretentious failures - in this franchise, at least.