main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Rank the Four Live Action TV Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Nov 27, 2022.

?

What is the best live action Star Wars series so far?

1. The Mandalorian

28.9%
  2. The Book of Boba Fett

2.4%
  3. Obi-Wan Kenobi

12.0%
  4. Andor

56.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We’ve got four live action TV series so far. Which one is your favorite of this first batch? Which one is your least favorite? Rank them here.

My rankings:

4) The Book of Boba Fett - It may be at the bottom of my list but I still really enjoyed it. The second episode is still one of the best episodes of Star Wars TV ever.

3) Andor - It’s insane that this show is third on my list. It just goes to show how incredible Star Wars TV has been. Just an amazing show from start to finish. I have nothing that knocks it down the list. I just happen to like the other two shows a little more.

2) The Mandalorian - This could easily be #1. I really couldn’t come up with two more perfect seasons of Star Wars TV. Din Djarin and Grogu have quickly become two of my favorite characters.

1) Obi-Wan Kenobi - What can I say about this show? It gave me everything I wanted from an Obi-Wan post-ROTS story and something I never knew I needed. Obviously seeing Obi-Wan and Vader confront each other on screen was a dream but the real highlight of the show was Obi-Wan and Leia. I never would have guessed that this relationship was so fundamentally needed before I saw it with my own eyes. The series is just perfection! *chef’s kiss*

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    1. The Mandalorian: in terms of simply achieving a level of execution commensurate with ambitions, TM is definitely the best SW live action streaming show imo. The production design is very good, and veteran character actors like Carl Weathers, Michael Biehn and Timothy Olyphant show up to provide the best special effects of all: real, old-school movie star swagger. The abbreviated weekly adventures are suitable for its comic book aesthetic, it usually all clicks together right.
    2. Obi-wan: While the cheap looking production, forgettable music and mostly uninspired writing was very disappointing for me, this show did have its moments. The flashback scene of Hayden and Ewan sparring in the Jedi Temple was wonderful, Jimmy Smits was inimitably elegant as always, and little Leia had some great little retorts too. The final duel between Obi-wan and Vader didn’t match up to Twilight of the Apprentice, but it was a respectable effort.
    3. Book of Boba Fett: This was basically a TM spin-off, and I couldn’t help but think it should have been the main attraction. Temura Morrison has still got it, that rogue’s voice that makes the helmet come to life. Planting him on Tatooine for reasons doesn’t really work, but after TM gobbled up the whole Boba Fett concept I guess they felt out of options. Some effects like “The Twins” are excellent while others like Cad Bane and the Mod Gang struggle to take off. A very mixed bag that never achieves the thrills.
    4. Andor: This was definitely the most ambitious of the streaming shows, but ended up being the most boring. Cutting it down to six episodes would have helped a lot, but what it needed most was interesting characters, clever writing and at least some sense of joy every hour or so. Andy Serkis steals the show, but that’s not hard when his fellow players are made to act like they’re in straight jackets most of the time. Overall, an extremely forgettable outing that could have been any other interchangeable post-apocalyptic TNT/ScyFy show from the early-mid 10’s, but to be fair I haven’t watched the final episode yet.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Andor just leagues above the rest and I say that as someone who likes all 4 of the live action shows so far.

Kenobi takes second. It had some problems, but overall I really liked it. What really added to the show was a young Leia

Book of Boba Fett it’s pretty much a tie with Mandalorian, but there were a bit less over the top fan service moments.

Mandalorian a bit to many OTP fan service.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  4. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    1. Mando
    2. Boba
    3. Andor
    999. Kenobi

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    1. Andor, just the best SW show, way above all others
    2. Mandalorian, nice fan service show, waiting for 3rd season
    3. Obi-Wan Kenobi, had some nice moments and return of Ewan was nice, but some dumb scenes too
    4. The Book of Boba Fett, had a few okay moments, but also the worst writing we have seen in live action Star Wars tv... Well at least we had Cad Bane in live action.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    1. Kenobi
    2. The Mandalorian
    3. Andor
    4. The Book Of Boba Fett

I like how people still use the term "fan service" as a negative in this thread.

Darkslayer, Sky_alma and wobbits like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Andor is the best, but Mando is more fun to watch. Kenobi had some great scenes, and some not-so-great scenes. Boba had a lot of not-so-great scenes, and one good episode without Boba.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    At least @Glitterstimm is original, being perhaps the only Star Wars fan to describe Andor as “extremely forgettable.” Gotta love that kind of commitment to hyperbole! I mean, I have some unique opinions on ROTS, so I can relate. :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Only one? I thought both episodes (5 and 6) without Boba were great in this show :p

10. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    1. Andor way above the rest

2. OWK
    3. Mando

4. BOBF

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Sir, this is a thread for ranking the four live action Star Wars streaming shows.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also it’s an opinion. If they find it forgettable they find it forgettable.

13. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    1) Andor. I have to say Andor and Mando are a close call, almost too close, but I went with Andor for the #1 spot because I'm still high on it.

2) Mando. Totally agree with @Sarge that this one is more of a fun ride than Andor but still... fun takes a second seat to the gritty realism with me for now.

3) Kenobi. There was a lot I liked, particularly Ewan and little Leia but this one was a little too uneven for me. Might have worked better as a film as originally planned. I also can't help but wonder what the original scripts would have been like, you know the ones that were deemed too bleak by the powers that be and thus re-written.

4) Book of Bob. So much potential and such a let down. There's really no other way to say it. Yeah I can cherry pick some things I liked but overall it was not good to put it nicely. I really, really want a second season of this so they have another chance to get it right, and I'm sure Tem wants another go at it too.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    “Extremely” forgettable. ;) But I wasn’t being serious. Glitterstimm just makes me laugh. Also, I didn’t report the opinion to the opinion police. So I think it’ll be fine.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You know what since Book of boba is so lonely I’ll help him out a bit :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    1. Andor -- excellent writing, acting, dialogue, design; cannot find a real negative about it. It has that Galactic Civil War period "what if," perfectly imagined fan-fic (in the best, purest form), RPG feel that made the pre-prequel era so exciting and full of adventure inspired by the impact of the OT.
    2. Mando -- fun, new characters, also has that classic SW "feel" with an interesting glimpse into the post-Endor world.
    3. BoBF -- some cool scenes, Boba and Slave 1 look good, Tusken plot was good, but Boba was, overall, emasculated in the "present day" story.
    4. Kenobi -- McGregor was good, as expected, the dialogue w/ Vader in the final fight was impressive, and Obi-wan's closing words to Leia were touching, but the show looked cheap and was just more shoehorning stories focussed on Saga characters into an already crowded timeline to the point of risking watering down the originals.

SyndicThrass and Sarge like this.
  17. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    1) Andor. Smart, emotionally compelling TV that interrogates fascism and revolution in a way that feels insightful and immediate. Great acting, writing, production. The best Star Wars since Empire. 9/10
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    2) The Mandalorian. Fun space adventure show, if a little inconsistent and rough around the edges. A few great episodes, plenty of solid ones, and a handful of clangers. Has an amateurish vibe that some people find charming but makes me wish they'd hired some more experienced TV production talent. 7/10
    3. Obi-Wan Kenobi. I enjoyed it on my first watch but the more I think about it the more disappointed I become. Very unpolished, mixed performances, dialogue and effects. To justify bringing back two of the most iconic characters in film they really needed something special, and this was not it. 5/10
    4) Book of Boba Fett. Morrison does his best with what he was given, which was... not great. Still stunned that they decided to give Fett such a milquetoast characterisation. Add the worst of the dodgy production that has plagued live action Star Wars outside Andor and certain Mando episodes, and this was a bit of a stinker. Redeeming qualities were the pair of OK Mando episodes they snuck in. 4/10

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    1. Obi-Wan
    2. The Mandalorian
    3. BOBF
    4. Andor

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Obi-Wan Kenobi. Gave context to a couple of OT gaps, including ‘Anakin is dead, I killed him’, did justice to an Obi-Wan/Vader meeting, introduced a badass kid Leia, and gave us Reva.

2. Andor. Close enough second that they could be flipped depending on my mood. The political contexts of living under a fascist government, and a prison industrial complex, are brilliant.

3. The Mandalorian. Love it for the view of the post-Empire galaxy as well as for Grogu.

4. Book of Boba Fett. It was good, and made me appreciate Boba Fett more, as well as showing a different side of the Tusken society, and live action Cad Bane, but I appreciated it more at the end when it had more ties to Mando.

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    In terms of what felt the most like Star Wars and was featuring characters I care dearly about I have to say Obi-wan though I wish it had the production and look of Andor, that scene between Anakin and Obi does it for me and I’d heartbreaking also the last hour of the Obi-wan series is great and fit well and ties together so I gotta go Obi-Wan.

mando great fun show it’s episodic western feel isn’t my fave but I love Grogu.

andor great set design , great insight into a rebellion great acting , feels like it could be any rebellion in any universe. Doesn’t inherently feel like Star Wars .

book of bobba fett. Speaks for itself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Sky_alma likes this.
  21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    1. Andor - Star Wars has grown up with me, we now have the same maturity
    2. The Mandalorian - Excellent SW with new characters and stories
    3. Obi-Wan - Adds unexpected layers to the established story
    4. Book of Boba Fett - An enjoyable romp

Chris0013 likes this.
  22. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1. Andor by 12 parsecs. Rich, nuanced, riveting stuff that left a real lasting impact, which is almost unheard of these days in any Disney content. My only main complaint is some repetition of locations, most notably with Mothma and Luthen, and the episode breaks often felt unnecessary. But still, a worthy contribution to the tapestry of SW and exciting to see them really branching out when it comes to tone (9/10).

2. Mandalorian. I enjoyed it enough when it first came out, I think mostly because I was just amazed that 1) Star Wars was actually able to be done on TV, 2) It was new stuff, beyond the Skywalker saga, with a new iconic pair of Din and Mando and 3) It wasn't terrible like Rise of Skywalker. But except for a few episodes (The Jedi, The Believer, The Rescue), I found most of the show to feel like Filoni's animated shows, neither fun enough to be a good plot-driven saturday morning cartoon, nor deep enough to be a good character-driven show. (7/10)

3. BOBF - The Boba stuff was just embarrassing (1/10). However, the Mando stuff here was some of the character's best (8/10). So overall, like a 4/10.

4. Obi-Wan
    - Amazing to see McGregor and Christensen back, and there were a ton of awesome moments (Vader burning Obi-Wan, Vader pulling a ship down, etc), but the writing and directing unfortunately squandered all that potential, so those amazing moments all end up feeling extremely shallow at the end of the day, leaving it with the same staying power as a fan film. (4/10)

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't decide between Kenobi and Mando. Both of those shows are just what I want Star Wars to be, but in different ways. They're exciting, touching, beautiful, and just pure fun. And while Obi-Wan has, well, Obi-Wan, as well as Anakin, Leia, and other characters I grew up with and love (so that's a point in favor of Kenobi), The Mandalorian has given me a whole new set of favorite characters in Din, Grogu, Kuiil, IG-11, etc (a point to Mando).
    Both shows made me feel like a kid again, watching new Star Wars for the first time. Even though I've enjoyed most new content, not everything has managed to do that.
    But OWK is slightly more Force-related, and it has Coruscant, Daiyu and Alderaan as settings, so I think I'll give that one the top spot. It's really close though.

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi - a brilliant story that fills the gaps between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope in ways I didn't expect. I never knew that a piece was missing there, but now that it's in place, I'll never be able to look at the Saga again without it. 10/10

2. The Mandalorian - enriching the GFFA without being directly connected to the Saga. Wonderful worldbuilding and mythical storytelling, with a very old-school Lucasfilm vibe. If LFL had done a SW TV show in the 80s (and the technology had allowed it of course), I think this is very close to what they would have produced. 10/10

3. Andor - more mature Star Wars, for better and worse (though mostly better). There's really compelling personal drama in the show, especially with Mon Mothma and Luthen, as well as some of the best world building in SW to date. I also really appreciate how restrained it is with the action, proving that SW doesn't have to have pew-pew, 'splosions every ten minutes to be good. However, it does lack a litte bit in the fun department. Some more humour would have given it another point in my book. Still though, another brilliant show. 8½/10

4. The Book of Boba Fett - a more mixed bag than the other shows. On the one hand, you have some truly brilliant episodes, while on the other, you have some not-so-good ones. The biggest problem with the show is the lack of focus. Boba's motivation is lacking, Cad Bane wasn't introduced until the penultimate episode, and the Tusken story just sort of disappeared. Still though, it's a really fun show, and there are episodes I can watch over and over again without getting tired of them; episodes 2, 5 and 6 are some of the best of SWTV to date. 7/10

All in all, I'd say that we've been incredibly lucky with how good live action Star Wars television has been so far.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Andor is my number one pick by a country mile. Nothing else comes close. Mando's my second place. I'm not sure how to rank TBOBF and Obi-Wan. Both were largely bad though each had their moments here and there. TBOBF was easily worse than Obi-Wan but as I've said before, as terrible as TBOBF was it was more fun to watch than Obi-Wan. TBOBF was "so-bad-it's good", well not good but amusing/funny in an unintentional way. Obi-Wan was mostly ho-hum, bewildering at times, and not necessary/not additive. Reva's actions in the finale still have me baffled. I guess I'd actually put TBOBF above Obi-Wan. Ha! Wow! How did that happen?

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Andor is my top pick. It's frankly miraculous just how good this show is in every possible aspect of the production. I'd follow that up with Obi-Wan Kenobi, which is flawed in places but emotionally potent. I almost feel like I'm insulting The Mandalorian by placing it in third, but that has less to do with the series' own deficits than with the higher-ranked shows' strengths. The Book of Boba Fett is the only thing I haven't been entirely jazzed with; as cool as it was to have something focused on Boba, it was at its best when its titular character wasn't on screen, which is never a good thing.
    1. Andor
    2. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    3. The Mandalorian
    4. The Book of Boba Fett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.