main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Rank the four (or more) Star Wars animated series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 1, 2022.

?

Favorite canon animated series

1. The Clone Wars

63.7%
  2. Rebels

28.6%
  3. Resistance

1.1%
  4. The Bad Batch

6.6%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    One thing I liked about Resistance is the world of that floating fuel depot. The show feels like the one most inspired by Studio Ghibli concepts. There’s something Howl’s Moving Castle about the setting, with its eclectic denizens and mix of the weird, cute and dangerous. For this reason alone I don’t seem to hate it as much as most do. It at least was an interesting little environment to spend some time in.

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. Rebels - Though made on a tighter budget, this series still resonates most strongly for me thanks to its well realized core ensemble. Twilight of the Apprentice and Jedi Night are two of the very best pieces of Star Wars storytelling in any medium from the Disney era.

2. Tales of the Jedi - Elevated above the others for the Dooku stories alone. Really strong stuff. The Ahsoka stories are a bit redundant, but the first one is quite resonant as well. If there are more seasons with different characters and new eras, its' stock will grow.

3. The Clone Wars - Certainly the most ambitious venture of Lucasfilm animation, and consequently the greatest variety of quality. Some truly impressive arcs, Umbara being my favorite, and more than a handful that are simply puzzling.

4. The Bad Batch - Love the dynamic of this crew, but it almost feels too early to pass judgement on this series only one season deep. The bigger issue is that it feels too long already. A 10-12 episode season would keep the storytelling tighter.

5. Visions - Mileage varies from episode to episode since they're all different stories from different storytellers, but The Duel is the standout, one of the best ever pieces of Star Wars animation.

6. Resistance - Well intentioned, beautifully animated, but largely forgettable, aside from direct tie ins with characters from the ST.

Oh, and Tartakovsky's Clone Wars from 2003-2005 remains my favorite Star Wars series, whether live action or animated.

Lomer2012 and Count Yubnub like this.
  3. Force620

Force620 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 5, 2018
    Rebels
    TCW
    Bad Batch - The more we get, the closer it will be to overtaking TCW.
    Resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lomer2012 likes this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    #1- The Clone Wars

#2- Bad Batch
    #3- Rebels

#4- Redistance

Rebels was great but it did have a lot of filler and the budget of the series was constantly showing compared to The Clone Wars. Bat Batch doesn’t seem to have those budget problems. Now peak Rebels is better than what we have gotten so far in Bad Batch. But Bad Batch is a better made show.

Resistance I’m pretty sure was just made to keep the top talent at Lucasfilm Animation employed their ai they didn’t lose everyone.

And then we have the Clone Wars which George Lucas treated like it was the same as his movies. And that series gets better and better technically and with sorry as it goes on.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So much disrespect for Resistance here, it makes me sad. Truly an underappreciated gem. Beautiful art style, amazing designs (best vehicles of the ST era), an interesting story that added a lot to an undereveloped time period, same hardhitting themes as Andor in a distinct package, and speaking of Andor, Resistance also went out of its way to avoid pointless cameos and focus on normal people caught up in big events - my main complaint is that the behind the scenes drama of ST development meant that it got cut off early and some of the plotlines got dropped or wrapped up a bit anti-climaticly.

Beyond that though...hard to rank the shows over all because they all have their ups and downs. I liked Rebels middle two seasons, but the first season was dull and disappointing, and I hated the ending. Clone Wars had some great arcs, also had some terrible arcs. Bad Batch...art is at its best, and the era is interesting, but the characters don't grip me as much as other shows.

6. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    From best to worst:

The Clone Wars
    Rebels
    The Bad Batch
    Resistance

But I like them all.

7. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    I love all of them (plus Tales of the Jedi), but Rebels is the best one for me (and one of the best SW media overall). I am a member of that insignificant minority that wished that it would receive a proper animation sequel rather than a live action continuation in Ahsoka series (which I would also probably like a lot).

8. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Rebels was a weird show for me because it feels like a cartoon based off of somebodys RPG game with their friends with the improbial cast of charactors meeting each other.

Sarge likes this.
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    This

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly the reason I think Rebels is above TCW is because of the place I was in in 2014 and 2015. I will always appreciate rebels

Aah Fisto and SyndicThrass like this.
  11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I love Ezra that's all I have to say.

12. KnightofRaxusPrime

KnightofRaxusPrime Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2022
    Personally:

1. Rebels
    2. The Clone Wars
    3. The Bad Batch
    4. The Resistance (But I'm a Pyre fan. :) )

13. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    1. Clone Wars
    2. Bad Batch
    3. Rebels
    4. The Resistance

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    My list too.

15. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Clone Wars - fantastic anthology series that's pretty much over 40 new Star Wars movies to enjoy

Rebels - tight-knit family series with a more singular throughline

Bad Batch - Rebels with a Clone Wars paintjob

Resistance - cancelled just as it was getting its footing due to the focus shift to live-action, so I hope it gets the Clone Wars S7 treatment at some point

Tales of the Jedi - too short and added nothing new or interesting; every episode felt like it was missing 75% of its story

clone commander bossk likes this.
  16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    1. The Clone Wars: There are some disappointing episodes in the show, here and there. But a lot of episodes are great, and some are amazing.
    2. Tales of the Jedi: A mini-series, but quite a bit of the episodes are on-point.
    3. Rebels: See my thoughts on TCW as to why I like Rebels. I don't rank Rebels as equal or better because of the weaker animation and I preferred the darker tone of TCW.
    4. The Bad Batch: I've watched some of Season 2, and I'm a little disappointed so far. Season 1 was really good, possibly great.

I would put the Clone Wars microseries at the top. It may be super short and have less highs than TCW, but it also has less lows. I've only watched the first 2 episodes of Resistance, and don't know if I'll ever get back to it. I've only watched 2 episodes of Visions, but the premiere was on-point.

17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I need a 2003 Clone Wars option. Still (by far) my favorite of the animated shows and it's actually watchable by an adult without wanting to gouge your eyes out during some of the episodes.

FWIW, I have tried (more than once) to get into the Clone Wars 3d series... and I just can't. I even tried just watching some of the "good arcs" and most of it is still just "meh".
    Like people rave about the final 4 episodes but all I saw was a pretty good kids show. Granted, I think 9 year old me would have loved the show - so I get the appeal to kids, but so much of it is just a hard watch as an adult. To be fair based on the episodes I watched it did improve during the run (basically going from a bad kids show to a pretty good kids show).

Sarge likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You know I gave the pilot of resistance a rewatch and it actually got me to laugh 2 times. I don’t think I have laughed more than once at Bad Batch nor do I remember laughing at CW or rebels. So points to Resistance on being funny.

19. Adamoss

Adamoss Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2023
    TCW - a fantastic series that takes viewers much deeper into the world of SW and is definitely one of the best animated series ever made and a must see. We get to know a lot of characters much better like Anakin, Yoda, Obi Wan, Palpatine etc. and we meet completely new fantastic characters like Ahsoka (for me no. 1 in SW), Rex or Asaji etc. The animation is great and especially the last 7th season is a masterpiece To sum up this is the best thing that could have happened to SW.
    Rebels - After the first episodes, I wasn't thrilled and I thought it wasn't for me, but I watched further and .... fortunately, because the plot developed very nicely to almost iconic moments throughout SW. The new characters themselves turned out to be interestingly thought out and complement each other well, but when Ahsoka appeared for the first time, I almost fell off my chair ... As for the animation, I rate it worse than in TCW, but it was ok.
    Tales of the Jedi - For me, a masterpiece that has the potential for an absolutely top series in the entire SW. I am waiting for more.
    Bad Batch - I like it and I'm waiting for more but currently it lands in 4.
    Resistance- Last place

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  20. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Rebels
    TCW

Pretty even tbh. I enjoyed watching them both but gave Rebels the edge because my daughter and I watched it together from beginning to end over the duration it was on. She was still a baby when TCW started.

The others I stopped watching because I found them dull.

21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Rebels
    Clone Wars
    Bad Batch
    Tales of the Jedi
    Resistance

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Bad batch has been growing on me, but it’s gonna be hard to ever beat TCW or Rebels. Although that’s mostly driven by Nostalgia and Rebels being a comfort show during one of the worst times of my life.

23. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    1) Rebels -
    I absolutely adore this show. I’m a big fan of most of them on this list, but there’s just something about Rebels that really clicks with me. I really enjoy that the whole premise of the show is based around this one squad of characters. Kanan has the best Jedi arc that we’ve seen on screen in my opinion. I find myself watching it and deeply caring about these characters, season 4 absolutely blew me away and some of those episodes remain my favourite Star Wars content.

2) TCW -
    What’s not to love ? A fantastic show that offered us a chance to explore different parts of the galaxy and stories that would never get the time of day in a movie. Really brilliant stuff (with some less interesting stories thrown in there). Also gave us one of my favourite characters with Ahsoka Tano.

3) The Bad Batch -
    I still hold out hope for the BB. There’s been some amazing episodes and things that I’ve really enjoyed, but on too many occasions I’ve thought ‘meh’.

4) Tales of the Jedi
    I really really enjoyed TotJ. It again gave us some interesting stories that I’ve wanted to see, but the short run time does hold it back from being further up the list with their only being a few episodes.

5) Resistance

24. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    1. The Bad Batch.
    2. The Clone Wars
    3. Rebels
    4. Resistance
    5. Tales of the Jedi

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    1. The Clone Wars
    1a. Tales of the Jedi
    2. Rebels
    9. Resistance.

TBB is still in-progress, assuming LF doesn't announce the cancellation of the series next week, so I don't think it's fair to compare this yet. Based on its current trajectory, it's a contender for fourth place in that list, though the last few weeks definitely narrowed the distance between it and Rebels. I'm just not that invested in the post-Order 66 fate of clones so I'm more inclined to compare it to the Mandalorian (another in-progress show that's more enjoyable for its pulpy episodic adventures than whatever the big overarching story of it is assuming it ever gets around to having one.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    Sarge likes this.