main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. TLJ
    4. TFA
    5. AOTC
    6. ANH
    7. SOLO
    8. TPM
    9. R1
    10. ROTJ

The anthology films, while visually impressive, just haven't been as strong as the two fantastic ST entries into the main saga, story-wise. I grew up with/became a fan through the PT, which I still prefer slightly over the OT.

2. debiler

debiler Jedi Padawan

May 17, 2016
    Well it's at the very bottom for me, too. I know that many would prefer I just leave it at that, but actually, I'd like to go a bit deeper into why I view TLJ as the worst Star Wars movie. Because technically, it would be unfair to even call it mediocre. TLJ looks spectacular. It is a feast for the eyes and might be the best looking SW feature film we have ever seen. Also, the story in itself is pretty solid if we're just looking at the basic plot points. We have looming dread, action-packed sequences, strong ethics and morals, humor and even the hero's journey.

So what exactly is it that bugs me, that drives me up the walls when I watch this movie? It's the execution, plain and simple. The direction is so all over the place that it boggles my mind how nobody on this multi-billion-dollar franchise's payroll thought to step forward at certain points and just say: "Guys, is this REALLY a good idea?" The shortsightedness of everybody that was involved in the process of writing the story is what frustrates me so very much.

For example: At the beginning, the stakes are high. Everything that the resistance fought for in Ep.VII is about to go down the drain. Poe faces the First Order fleet all by himself. That's awesome. I am invested in the setup, I'm pumped and excited to see what happens, what his plan is, because he couldn't possibly win against those odds. And then? That stupid, unnecessary, out-of-place prank call. Not only is it an unfitting, horrible attempt at comedy, no - it reduces General Hux to a buffoon. It destroys the tension that was built up. There's no hurt in lightening the mood during an exciting sequence, but you can't do that before you actually get the audience's adrenaline going. It's like poking a hole into a flaccid balloon. You won't be able to inflate it properly anymore.

I know I'm gonna waste too many words on the matter again, but the 'humor' was a major point of the movie that never allowed me to get into it. There were very little occasions when I had a chuckle, but that's it. But most of the scenes that were supposed to be funny had me rolling my eyes instead. How is a rich alien throwing up on BB-8 funny? Or that opera alien? Or BB-8 shooting coins? Or Rey telling Kylo to put on a shirt? Or a red guard getting shredded by a device that existed only for that scene? Or that stupid-ass caretaker cart getting smashed to bits? The prank call? The Slave-I pressing iron? What happened to clever, subtle humor? Why couldn't they tone it down just a notch, so that everybody can have fun? Star Wars is not comedy, despite the fact that all movies are very funny at times. There's a difference. In the original Star Wars, Luke, Han and Chewie try to get out of an elevator to the wrong side. It's a quick, funny moment, but it never takes you out of the scene, because it's over very quickly and not mentioned again. The 2017 version of that scene would have been Luke, Han and Chewie facing the wrong way too, but when the turned around to get out of the elevator, the door would close and they'd all run into it. Now is that funny? If you think yes, you will not understand why I loathe TLJ the way I do. My point is: too many sight gags that are just empty slapstick.

One of the main points that people who hated TLJ are going on about at great length is the treatment of Luke. I have no problem with Luke in TLJ. I can accept that over the many years that have passed, due to the traumatising events and him almost succumbing to the dark side, Luke is indeed a broken man. I actually like the idea that he punked Kylo at the end, because he saw that his destiny was not to defeat his nephew - but to ensure the survival of the resistance. That he wasn't actually there doesn't make him less of a hero - he still gave his life.

But what I can't abide is the opening scene and Luke just nonchalantly chucking the lightsaber. On every level imaginable, this is just wrong. It doesn't fit the character, it doesn't fit the scene, it doesn't fit the story and it takes a big, massive piss all over the fans who were left with tears of joy over seeing Luke again at the end of TFA. From a story standpoint, yes - it makes complete sense that Luke rejects the saber. But not like that!!! They way they did it tells us that Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber just doesn't matter. This big token of hope, of the light side that got reintroduced in TFA is not something Luke Skywalker, no matter how broken, just throws over a cliff. And there were so many more occasions where I just got the feeling that Rian Johnson deliberately tried to do exactly that: throw everything over a cliff just because.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    R1
    Solo
    ROTS
    TPM
    TLJ
    AOTC

First four are probably locked in place. The anthologies are interchangeable, I liked them both a lot.

4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    ESB
    ANH
    TLJ
    ROTS
    TFA
    R1
    AOTC
    Solo
    TPM
    ROTJ

5. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    @debiler enjoyed your post. I do think RJ the Director did a way, way better job in TLJ than RJ the Writer. And that's precisely where KK and the creative group should have done a better job managing his writing tendencies in his script.

godisawesome , afrojedi and debiler like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think TLJ was the least visually impressive of the Disney-era SW films.

Mange, PendragonM, wobbits and 4 others like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    For me that's Solo.
    I like the look of Solo well enough, it's just a bit too desaturated and murky for me. I'd say Rogue One is the best looking of the four, with TFA in second place.

Vinylshadow, Avnar, MaciekRS and 10 others like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Solo could've rivaled Rogue One if it was a tad less murky. I like Young, but he can be a little heavy-handed with those mud filters. Fraser's combination of a sharp format but with soft colors would've made Solo really stand out.

That said, I still find TLJ's cinematography to be very underwhelming, and the most "blockbustery" of the lot. I think it's because RJ overused the "bloom" filter, which gives that sort of candy-coated Thomas Kinkade look. Especially on Crait. That kind of visual technique is often used a little sloppily to make the background mesh with the CGI, with the effect of the whole frame looking a little artificial, rather than just some of the digital elements. And then there was far too much of those rapidly zooming close-ups, which were a big thing in a lot of 90s TV.

Anyway, visually, I'd rank them:

1. Rogue One
    2. Solo/ TFA
    3. TLJ

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Cave of Erised and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. debiler

debiler Jedi Padawan

May 17, 2016
    Thanks mate, appreciated. Yes, he did a much better job at directing the movie than he did writing the story. I honestly don't even know what to say about that, because it all seems so inconsequential to me. He's like some kind of "Anti-Lucas" in a way, who used to be a great, imaginative storyteller, but not a very good director. (A new hope excluded, but even that film has some weirdly shot scenes and wobbly dialogue at times)

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TLJ
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. ROTJ
    7. RO
    8. SOLO
    9. TPM
    10. TCW
    11. AOTC

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is that updated since your last couple of ranking posts in here?

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    My updated ranking list:

1. ANH
    2. RO
    3. TESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. TFA
    6. TLJ
    7. Solo
    8. ROTS
    9. AOTC
    10. TPM

Cave of Erised and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just finished an OT rewatch, and here's how I feel right now...

1. RO
    2. ANH
    3. TESB
    4. Solo
    5. ROTJ
    6. TFA/ TLJ
    7. TPM
    8. AOTC
    9. ROTS

Cave of Erised likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    TPM has recently risen in my ranking so I thought I'd update:

1. TLJ
    2. TPM
    3. TESB
    4. RO
    5. ANH
    6. ROTS
    7. ROTJ
    8. Solo
    9. TFA
    10. AOTC

15. The Rob

The Rob Jedi Grand Master

Aug 30, 1999
    The essential Star Wars purist list
    1) ESB
    2) ROTJ
    3)SW
    4)ROTS
    5)TPM
    6)TFA
    7)RO
    8)Solo
    9)AOTC
    10)Ewoks the battle for Endor
    11)TLJ

16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Presently for myself ESB takes up the first four rank slots.

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    These are lists that make this thread interesting and totally worth it. I love how ANH is simply SW, and how you added Ewoks... Golden! xD

wobbits and The Rob like this.
  18. The Rob

The Rob Jedi Grand Master

Aug 30, 1999
    Like I said my friend, its the "purist" list.
    I'm glad someone out there appreciates that when it feels like I am in some kind of alternate reality where the lists keep getting topped by TLJ!
    +1 for you

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    RO
    Solo
    TFA
    TLJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

the phantom menace has grown on me over the years, and I go back and forth between which I dislike more with AOTC and ROTS.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

11-4D and Prime Jedi like this.
  21. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    The order changes like every 7 seconds for me, but right now I would say:

1. ROTS
    2. AOTC
    3. ESB/ROTJ
    4. TPM
    5. TFA/ANH
    6. Rogue One
    7. TLJ

Haven't been able to see Solo yet, and TFA went drastically down in my rankings, though it's still an amazing film imo, it just has the most difficult competition imaginable. AOTC/ROTS and ESB/ROTJ are each near equal pears in quality, and are also greatly enhanced by each other, as well as, of course, the entire saga.

The only thing that hasn't changed for me is, surprisingly, ROTS taking the top spot. It's an absolute blast in the beginning, continues with and adds on the drama and anxiety of AOTC, and much like Anakin's turn, the anxiety and darkness builds up further and further, until it explodes and once that happens, there's no turning back for the film. From the moment Kenobi fights Grievous til the end, everything is absolutely perfect. It nears it's end with the second best duel in the franchise, and even then, the film gets better after that. Vader watching the Death Star's construction with Palpatine, seemingly doomed to live the miserable life he has now, along with Padme's funeral is really depressing. This is the only movie that no matter how many times I watch it, I always feel a bit down after its over, because not only is the massive rollercoaster of emotion over, but just how dark and dramatic it gets.

Okay now I'm rambling. :p

22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The day has arrived where, when I see people putting AOTC in the upper tiers, I don't instantly think there's something wrong with them.
    I don't see how you people forgive Ben Burtt's "editing", and I don't see how you people forgive the abysmal editing of the Anakin / Dooku duel. You people. [face_dunno]Sand I get - Lucas doesn't have the strong grip necessary to squeeze the juice out of actors. He's like, *touch, Ow my hand hurts, that'll do. Abrams to his credit does have a strong grip to get that performance out. Johnson obviously has a very good grip.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Hernalt
    You must realize that the technical aspects are not of primary importance for some SW fans. There is nothing wrong with that.
    If someone consider the originality of the plot to be crucial, then TFA will be somewhere at the bottom of his list.

24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    That day seems unimaginable for me.

Vinylshadow and Hernalt like this.
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I have grown to respect everyone's preferences and reasons to like or dislike something, therefore I accept every single ranking in this thread, as much as I wholeheartedly disagree with many of them.

At the moment, the only thing I don't understand is TLJ being placed over any of the first 6 movies, or Kylo Ren being placed at the top of all time favorite Star Wars characters. That, to me, is just incomprehensible. Maybe in the future I can understand the first part, but the Kylo thing, never....

PS. AOTC used to be 2nd spot for me just below ROTS about ten years ago. I don't care much about the editing you mention, because there are so many scenes I love in this movie.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.