main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars Films, TPM to SOLO

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , May 27, 2018.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

37 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

21 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

58 vote(s)
    32.6%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

21 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

8 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. SOLO: A Star Wars Story

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, I'm actually going to try this...

1. The Return of the Jedi (okay, I didn't even know this was my favorite until I took the time to write them all out ;) But it has everything, for me - love, redemption, tears, semi-main character death, happy ending, demise of Jabba the Hutt, Jedi training, all that stuff)
    2. Rogue One (amazing plot but no previously familiar characters, or that we'll ever see again. That's the only reason it's not on top)
    3. The Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin are some of my favorite characters, especially their book-personalities. Also, the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Darth Maul fight at the end is my favorite battle in the entire saga. I love the acrobatic style)
    4. Revenge of the Sith (dark and sad but a great story that just makes you want to hug Anakin (okay, maybe not you. But me) It also makes Vader's turn to the Light Side so much better in RotJ)
    5. Attack of the Clones (I don't really have much to say. Sorry ;) I do enjoy when I'm watching it though)
    6. Solo (the plot was kind of weird and almost nonexistent, and almost strangely realistic. It seemed more like just following Han's life than a major plot. Not that I'm complaining.)
    7. A New Hope (it's not actually this low on my list. I've just seen it probably 20+ times in 1 year)
    8. The Last Jedi (I found it hilarious but more of character development than movie. It was good, just didn't live up to expectations, maybe? I'm not sure what I don't like about it)
    9. The Force Awakens (way too much like ANH. As in WAY too much. Is there a thread where people discuss the similarities?)
    10. Empire Strikes Back (pls don't kill me. I don't like the way it switches perspectives all the time and how there is virtually no ending. I could watch Han and Leia all day tho:han::leia:)

That said, there are no Star Wars movies I actually hate or won't enjoy if it's actually on. Some are just better than others.
    And, yes, it literally took me 20 minutes to put them in order ;);)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Rogue One
    7. Solo
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Revenge of the Sith
    10. The Phantom Menace

3. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    10. Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones- This movie is...not good. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's pretty dull. There are a few creative moments and highlights, but overall it's a chore to get through for me. I'm one of those people that hates the Padme/Anakin romance.

9. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace- There's quite a bit to like and enjoy in this film...almost as much as there is to dislike. This is a film where you can see the creativity and the vision, but both get lost in translation. Duel of the Fates and Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul is still pretty iconic though. Also, Padme is the best character in this movie.

8. Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith- I know this movie is popular among fans and I do get why. There are genuine passion and heart in this Shakespeareanesque Tragedy. Every scene with Emperor Palpatine (hilarious or menacing) is gold and the sad moments are pretty darn sad. The action is great as well. However, I can't really call it a great or even good film really. It's decent, but it's still marred by the iffy writing, hokey dialogue, and uninspired acting.

7. Solo: A Star Wars Story- This is a fun, if not problematic, space western. Chewbacca is the best character in this film. The only problem is that it's so...unessential. Unlike TPM and AOTC, which one could skip because of debatable quality, this is a truly filler film that won't really contextualize much of anything regarding the Original Trilogy.

6. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story- This is definitely the best "Prequel" in the Star Wars franchise. The cinematography is great, the action is awesome, the plot is good, and the acting is some of the best in all of the films. However, the characters are...pretty forgettable for the most part. Honestly, I wish I could say that I liked this film as much as everyone else, but it just feels so "meh" to me until it's final hour. It's a pretty good film, but the lack of depth and strong character work prevents it from resonating with me.

5. Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi- I could actually argue that Rogue One is better. A lot of this film just feels either rushed or dragged out. The first act and the third act are strong, but the middle of the film is a slog. The only thing putting this above Rogue One is Luke's fantastic arc with his father.

4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens- Yeah, the movie feels a little too familiar and has all of the beats of A New Hope. But good Lord, do I love this movie. The bond between Finn and Rey is one of the best relationships I have ever seen in an adventure film. Poe is my favorite space pilot and Kylo Ren is already an iconic villain. The plot may be simple and derivative, but the characters are absolutely the warm beating heart of this film.

3. Star Wars: A New Hope- Come on, it's THE QUINTESSENTIAL STAR WARS. It's flawed, but amazing and inspiring nonetheless.

2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi- Ah yes, the film that broke Star Wars...and the hearts of half its fans. Rian Johnson is a true auteur with this epic Space Opera. Honestly, I still love this movie, flaws and all. I love Luke Skywalker's arc and his death. I love Rey's character development and lack of a "special" heritage. I love that Poe Dameron gets a real storyline. I love that Finn becomes a fighter (even if his arc could have been written better). I love Rose Tico. I love Canto Bight. I love the Throne Room scene. I love the Battle of Crait. And lastly, I love that this film seeks to deconstruct Star Wars, the Jedi, the force, and its politics.

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back- Simply a masterpiece. No explanation needed.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    @The Deuteragonist Our rankings are almost identical (I'd flip 7 and 6, and maybe 10 and 9 depending on the day of the week), and we seem to share a lot of the same thoughts regarding the films. Congrats on having great taste ;)

Small Text Disclaimer: This is not to disparage anyone else with contrary views, please do not take this lighthearted comment seriously.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This list will probably be different tomorrow, but that's probably true of most people's lists. :p

1. The Empire Strikes Back - My favorite used to be ANH, but TESB just continues to age like fine wine, and now sits comfortably at the top of my list. The character development, cinematography, score, and general feel is just pure perfection. Its only drawbacks are the lack of a real beginning and end, but as a middle-chapter where the first and third chapters have been out for decades, that's not really a problem.

2. A New Hope - The best stand-alone movie in the series, if you know what I mean. It's really the only SW movie that works perfectly without seeing any other film in the series. Still gorgeous, fun, funny, and exciting after all this time.

3. Return of the Jedi - Yeah, what can I say? The OT still reigns supreme for me - probably 99% because of nostalgia. Though a slightly off pacing, ROTJ has some of the most emotional scenes in the entire series, along side some great action-adventure and pure silliness. And I love the Ewoks!

4. The Last Jedi - Some of my favorite SW scenes are in this film. Some choices I question, but on the whole, TLJ is the sequel to ROTJ I always wanted. Also deals with the problems TESB has, as it is the middle chapter of this trilogy, and Episode IX will really determine whether this film belongs this high up on the list or not, depending on where the story goes. But right now, I feel TLJ - like ROTJ - is an almost perfect SW film, with just some minor issues.

5. Rogue One - I really go back and forth on whether I like RO better than TFA or not, but right now I think RO deserves to be higher on the list. This film really captures the OT spirit, and works so, so well as a bridge between ROTS and ANH, and tells a beautiful story in a both new and old way, and it's just so damn re-watchable.

6. The Force Awakens - This film, while playing it safe at times, pushes the story forward, and is a brilliant continuation of the feel of the OT. It's gorgeous to look at, is probably the funniest SW movie to me, and I love being on one last adventure with Han and Chewie, while at the same time being introduced to the next generation in a good way. It has my favorite ending scene in the entire series.

7. Revenge of the Sith - I have fond memories of this one. Camping out for three days to get midnight release tickets, thinking it was the very end of Star Wars on the big screen. The Clone Wars, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, the final duel, the incredibly emotional Order 66, the beautiful ending montage - just a great film!

8. Solo - Some of the most fun I've had watching a SW movie, but the smaller scope and lower stakes puts this pretty low on my list. I still love the film, and had a blast watching it. I was against recasting Han and Lando, but the younger actors took the roles and made them their own, and I have no problem accepting them as younger versions of the already established characters from the OT.

9. The Phantom Menace - Seeing the height of the Republic and the Jedi Order is a blast, and the world-building is excellent. The film looks great, and gave us so much of what we now take for granted as Star Wars - Coruscant, "Padawan", Darth Maul, etc. etc. etc. And yeah, I like Jar Jar. The main "fault" of the film for me is the Pod Race. It just goes on for too long, but other than that, I think the film is great.

10. The Battle for Endor - OK, OK, let me explain. I first saw the OT when I was 8, and I almost immediately saw TBFE afterwards - and as a kid who really loved the Ewoks, TBFE felt to me as a genuine SW movie, and I've always rated it as such. Sure, the film has its flaws (mostly because it's a TV film made for kids), but I still thoroughly enjoy it, and it has some pretty amazing designs and creature effects.

11. Attack of the Clones - To me, without a doubt the weakest of the Saga films. There's a lot to love in it, like the cinematography (excluding the early-generation digital look), the world-building and some of the action set pieces, but the love story just falls flat to me, and so does Obi-Wan's film noir-style detective storyline. Still a good film, but just not up there with the rest of them.

12. The Clone Wars - I had a lot of fun seeing this in the theaters (ten years ago! How time flies), and I still enjoy it, but it's pretty weak as a movie, since it's really just a combination of season 1 episodes, and the show had yet to find its footing. Good, but not great.

13. Caravan of Courage - Unlike TBFE, I didn't see this until I was a teenager, so I don't feel a lot of nostalgia for it. It's also just not as good. It's too childish, and has very little SW feel to it. There are some good aspects though - the Gorax is fantastic and one of the best man-in-suit monster effects I've ever seen. The boar-wolf is also really cool, and I enjoy seeing a completely different side of Endor, with deserts and mountains. The film is also endlessly quotable in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way ("It's like climbing a ladder, only sideways").

TL;DR:
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TLJ
    5. RO
    6. TFA
    7. ROTS
    8. S
    9. TPM
    10. TBFE
    11. AOTC
    12. TCW
    13. COC

6. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Actually Coruscant was created by Zahn for the Thrawn trilogy. ;)

TCF-1138 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Depends on how you look at it. The planet-wide city serving as the capital was a concept created by Lucas during development of the OT (ROTJ specifically I believe), while it was named by Zahn, who used that concept for his books. Then when the PT came along, Lucas returned to his old idea, and was convinced by people around him to name it Coruscant since it was an established name by that time.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it was created by Lucas. Only the name came from Zahn.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  9. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Ok we are getting really pedantic the truth is George Lucas had a few ideas on what the best concept of the imperial capital should be and Zahn took the best idea and gave it a name.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. Lucas had a very specific, decades old idea of the planet metropolis that was the capital (originally named Had Abbadon), and ended up using the name conceived by Zahn when he decided to show the planet in TPM. Zahn didn't conceive the planet. He merely named it for his books and George ended up using that name.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    There's even concept art by Ralph McQuarrie for what would become Coruscant done way back. Zahn didn't come up with anything besides the name - and that's according to Zahn himself:

Anyway, this is getting way off topic. [face_peace]

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Must admit, just changed my vote from Empire to Rogue One. Felt bad with it sitting there with no votes. [face_peace]

ThisIsMe1138 and B99 like this.
  13. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Four pages in and Solo does not have a single vote I do not think you needed to go to the trouble.[face_laugh]

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    updated lol

1, Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
    2, Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
    3, Star Wars The Empire Strike Back
    4, Star Wars A New Hope
    5, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    6, Star Wars The Last Jedi
    7, Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
    8. Solo : A Star Wars Story
    9, Star Wars The Force Awakens
    10, Star Wars The Phantom Menace

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Can I list Empire 11 times?

Emperor Ferus and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Revenge of The Sith forever. [face_love]

17. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I'm trying to think of something more specific, but yeah. In essence it would be basically this for me as well! Lol

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    christophero30 and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM/ROTS (tie)
    ESB
    AOTC
    TFA/TLJ (tie)

19. Alpha Spook

Alpha Spook Jedi Padawan

Jun 27, 2018
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. A New Hope
    6. Rogue One
    7. Solo
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. The Force Awakens

The only film I didn't like at all was TFA. Very mixed feelings with TLJ. Spots 1-8 I completely enjoy, can never get tired of watching them, and was very hard to rank. Spots 2 and 3 are practically tied.

20. Makarios

Makarios Jedi Padawan

Jun 28, 2018
    This is difficult to do because all of the movies were great for their own reasons and time in which they were made...but I'll give it a shot.
    I grew up with the OT so the fact that I saw them as a kid certainly changes my perspective and in many ways Star Wars was a definitive myth that was part of my childhood. I began a Star Wars fan when I was in kindergarten and never looked back. For this reason it's hard to say which of the OT was my favorite because it's all one movie, one story for me. But if I must...

1. The Empire Strikes Back: I don't think there is anything about this movie I didn't like. The Hoth battle, asteroid chase, Yoda training Luke - our first real explanation of the Force, Cloud City, the most memorable light saber clash, the reveal. I walked away from this movie stunned. It gave me so many questions. My friends and I actually debated about whether or not Vadar was lying. This was of course, on the playground, the internet didn't exist back then.

2. Star Wars (A New Hope) What can I say, the film that started it all. It took so many risks that most are not aware of or have forgotten. It was the space/western/medieval/fantasy/action/adventure film that launched a culture. And it was a fun movie. It wasn't a new story or new hero's journey, but it was done right with a fresh background...and great music.

3. Return of the Jedi: The most anticipated film of my childhood (possible my life) And for the most part it didn't disappoint. Further viewings over years make me cringe a bit at the overly long rescue of Han during a pivotal moment in the Galactic Civil War or the Ewoks, but it was a movie about family, friends, and the underdog beating a technological terror. Another fun movie.

4. Rogue One: Of any movie after the original trilogy, this one felt the most like Star Wars and brought me back. Sure that may not be a great way to judge the merits of a movie, but in terms of sheer enjoyment - this one makes the cut. Also, it was gritty and showed a different side of the CCW, without the familiar faces, which was refreshing.

5. Revenge of the Sith: This was a great conclusion to the PT and had some great action scenes and fun moments. Yes, fun for me is the reason I see the Star Wars movies. It tied the two trilogies together and really showed the downfall of Anakin and the greatness of Obi Wan, who has really become my favorite jedi to this date.

6. Solo: Surprising for some, but I really love this movie. It was small in scope because that's what it was. It was a space western/heist movie that didn't try to be anything else. Sure, it wasn't necessary but the characters where great and I just enjoyed the film without having to analyze too much or wonder what was going on. It was an escape in a galaxy that I feel at home in, with some old friends.

7. The Force Awakens: Some may say that this was a rehash of the original and maybe it was. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it. It was a popcorn flick, a predictable action movie with a Star Wars background. It wasn't great, which is why it's on the bottom half of my list, but it was still a fun movie.

8. The Phantom Menace: It brought Star Wars back after so many years. It was set in a great time period and was a fresh and new take on the history and biography of Anakin and surprisingly, Palpatine. As Darth Vadar was probably the most iconic movie villian ever, Palpatine grew to become one of the most interesting villians to me. I also thought the actors where great - Ewan, Liam, Natalie, Ian.

9. The Last Jedi: I enjoyed it when I first saw it for the most part but I left it with a bad taste in my mouth. It's still Star Wars and it progresses the story. I liked the messages of failure and seeing things in a new perspective but I felt that the delivery was harsh and too heavy handed. Also, I still have difficulty with the portrayal of Luke.

10: The Attack of the Clones: This movie had some great fight scenes - Obi Wan vs. Boba Fett may be one of the best in the series. In a lot of the EU, bounty hunters would square off versus Jedi and it was great to see in a movie. However, the dialogue, effects, and slapstick humor of the droids really killed it for me.

So there you have it, my detailed analysis of my favorite and not so favorite Star Wars movies.

Sarge and SithOverlord101 like this.
  21. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    1. AOTC
    2. ANH
    3. TLJ
    4. ROTS
    5. ROTJ
    6. TPM
    7. TFA
    8. ESB
    9. RO
    10. SOLO

22. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3t. ROTS
    3t. ROTJ
    5. RO
    6. TFA
    7. SOLO
    8. TLJ
    9. TPM
    10. AOTC

23. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    11: TCW movie
    Don't forget that stinker.

24. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    1. ESB [face_love]:r2::yoda:@};-[face_laugh]^:)^[face_skull]
    2. ANH [face_love]:r2::yoda:[face_flag][face_laugh]
    3 ROTJ @};-[face_love] ^:)^:yoda:
    4 ROTS :yoda::r2:@};-^:)^[face_skull]
    5. R1 :yoda:^:)^@};-[face_skull]
    6. TFA [face_love]:r2::yoda:[face_flag]
    7. SOLO @};-^:)^:yoda:
    8. AOTC @};-[face_tired] ^:)^[face_skull]
    9. TPM [face_monkey]:yoda::r2:[face_flag][face_clown]
    10.TLJ [face_monkey][face_tired]:yoda::r2:[face_clown]

:r2: top technical performance for historic year
    [face_love] top feeling of my heart after watching
    :yoda: significance for canon by new entries
    [face_monkey] subverting expectations (in negative sense)
    @};- true love in film
    [face_laugh] intelligent humor
    [face_tired] booring chapters
    ^:)^ continuity factor
    [face_flag] trilogy starter
    [face_skull] dark (positive)
    [face_clown] serriously iritating scenes/creatures/characters

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Sarge, Makarios and Dandelo like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think everyone should adopt this rating system. :D

Darkslayer, Dandelo and FN1971 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.