main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the ten deaths that made you most sad in all of the saga so far

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The ST has added some new sad deaths to the trilogy. Rank the ten saddest ones for you. Some gifs below to help conjure up memories but you can choose any of the episode numbers. If the death of any villains made you sad that’s okay too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    1. Obi Wan 2. Vader 3. Han. 4. Luke 5. Yoda 6. Qui Gon 7. Maul 8. Boba Fett 9. Dak 10. Anakin's mom

3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Shmi's death is up there with Bambi's mom.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    1) Vader
    2) Nanta the Ewok
    3) Ki-Adi-Mundi
    4) Yoda
    5) Beru and Owen
    6) Shmi
    7) Boga the varactyl
    8) Obi-Wan
    9) Aayla Secura
    10) Mace Windu

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. Vader
    2. Padme
    3. Yoda
    4. Shmi
    5. the Ewok
    6. Qui-Gon
    7. Jango
    8. Corde
    9. Dak
    10. Porkins

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Oh, wow...I made a list like this on my own not long ago. The top seven are all guaranteed to make me cry, while the top 3 make me bawl...every. Single. Time. :_|:_|:_|:_|

10. Ewok
    9. Qui-Gon Jinn
    8. Owen and Beru Lars
    7. Chirrut Imwe
    6. Shmi Skywalker
    5. Padme Amidala
    4. Darth Vader/redeemed Anakin Skywalker
    3. All the Jedi (Order 66)
    2. Han Solo
    1. Luke Skywalker

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Vader/Anakin
    Nanta
    Shmi
    Obi-Wan
    Qui-Gon
    Yoda
    K2SO
    L3
    Chirrut
    Saw

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Mmmm I have to divide my list between deaths that made me sad, deaths that made me angry due to portrayal that felt diminishing and insufficient, and deaths that invoked no emotional reaction in me at all because of the writing.

Sad: 1. Obi; 2. Biggs (can’t help it, I feel like I still hope he lives when I watch ANH); 3. Yoda; 4. Shmi; 5. Mace; 6. QGJ; 7. Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru; 8. Alderaan; 9. Vader (though it had to happen); 10. Paige (oddly the only death in the ST that I felt some sadness over)

Angry: 1. Padme (maybe not the most angering now, but it’s been with me a long time and I can’t not put it first); 2. Luke; 3. RotS kids; 4. Mace’s partners when he confronted Sideous; 5. Luke’s Order

Apathy: 1. Han; 2. Holdo; 3. Hosnia

Edited to remove R1 stuff because you specified Saga.

9. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    The character deaths in Star Wars are a bit weird for me. Honestly, I'm pretty apathetic to a lot of them. However, here is the ranking for the ones that generate the most emotion out of me:

10) Mace Windu- I am not a Mace Windu fan at all and his death makes me sad in a bad way. It's both hilarious (POWAHHH) and half-hearted, leaving a feeling of crushing disappointment for me because he's played by Samuel L. freaking Jackson. Overall, Mace as a whole just feels like a waste of iconic talent.

9) Admiral Holdo- I actually quite liked Holdo, even if she could have been written better. However, her death was one of the most memorable moments of modern cinema I have ever seen and I'm so glad I saw in theaters.

8) Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru- These two died horrifically. I'm sure it's been mentioned 1,000+ times here, but I'm new so I'm gonna say it anyway. Luke's reaction to the death of his guardians is so...underwheming. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he barely loved them at all.

7) Yoda- Honestly, it's pretty rushed and predictable, but also genuinely sweet because of how peaceful it is.

6) Darth Vader- This doesn't make me sad because Darth Vader was an awful human being (amazing villain, though) who basically did one good thing and was somehow redeemed. However, I love what it means for Luke's character and how much a loving person he is. That's the part that makes me emotional.

5) All of the Rogue One Deaths- Rogue One isn't my favorite Star Wars movie, but the deaths in the third act of the film do make me choke up a bit.

4) The Jedi Order (specifically the children)- I have genuinely mixed feelings on the Jedi as a whole, which is why the Order 66 scene falls flat for me. However, the moment when Anakin pulls out his lightsaber in front of the children is just chilling and one of the most terrifying moments in Star Wars.

3) Padme Amidala- I really like Padme as a character and her death is tragic. I'm not really a fan of her lack of agency in ROTS. However, I never understood the controversy surrounding her death. Padme dying during childbirth (or of a broken heart) is pretty believable if you ask me considering it, well, happens in real life?

2) Han Solo- As telegraphed as it was, Han Solo's death still managed to infuriate me in the best way possible. It made me both love and hate Kylo Ren and excited for the next film. Speaking of which...

1) Luke Skywalker- I love Han Solo, but Luke's Last Stand and his death are the only moments in all of Star Wars that genuinely make me cry. His death is absolutely pitch-perfect. It's foreshadowed, it's tragic, it's powerful and absolutely heartwrenching. It's as wonderful as it is controversial.

10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Vader and Shmi were by the far the deaths that had the most effect on me, as they still make me tear up every time I watch them.

As for the rest:

3. Chirrut
    4. K-2SO
    5. Order 66 deaths
    6. Obi-Wan
    7. Jyn and Cassian
    8. Luke
    9. Nanta
    10. Qui Gon

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    A few of these are from Rogue One, so it may not fit the definition of saga...
    1. Anakin
    2. Shmi
    3. Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru
    4. Luke
    5. Han
    6. Obi-Wan
    7. K-2SO
    8. Nanta the Ewok
    9. Yoda
    10. Galen

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeah. OP made clear it’s more about the episodes and not the anthology films since the ST is formally part of the episodic saga.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Gonna add details.

1) Vader - that wheeze and his physical state are just so pathetic, and immediately dying after finally doing something right and finding some sort of grace just makes it more tragic. I wouldn't want someone to actually die after that sort of transformation, regardless of their crimes. Vader knew intervening would kill him, yet he did it anyway, and in the end he has absolutely no concern for himself and only wants his son to abandon his failing body and save himself. Never fails to draw tears.

2) Nanta the Ewok - I've always found it so shocking, the way the little teddy bear is just blown up. To me, the other Ewok looks like a child trying to rouse its fallen parent. Whatever its words meant, they've stayed with me. The shocking reality of it makes it seem like something from a real war. Again, never fails to draw tears.

3) Ki-Adi-Mundi - its the hurt in his eyes at the betrayal. Mundi is quickly portrayed as a heroic General leading his men into hell. I'm going first into the breach and you guys are gonna shoot me in the back?

4) Yoda - "Strong with the Force I am, but not that strong". Re-establishing the simple fact that death comes for us all. It's a hard truth for a kid to take in.

5) Beru and Owen - Again just the shocking brutality of it. The image of their charred skeletons just outside their doorstep. It's one of those things where your imagination is probably worse than any reality.

6) Shmi - The horror of finding your own mother in that state, just barely too late to save her, knowing that you knew and did nothing.

7) Boga the varactyl - That death cry and that fall have stayed with me.

8) Obi-Wan - For me it's more about Luke's reaction than the actual death.

9) Aayla Secura - this is based more on the narration in the old BF2 video game, but seeing her shot in the back by surprise, and the way the clones just keep firing, and the way the camera zooms out and the vegetation provides cover just makes it more horrifying.

10) Mace Windu - his cries of pain and betrayal after Anakin cuts off his hand have stayed with me. This one isn't all that great, but I put it over some others because of those cries.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    1. Anakin/Vader.
    2. Owen and Beru Lars.
    3. Shmi Skywalker.
    4. Obi Wan Kenobi.
    5. Qui Gon Jinn.
    6. Han Solo.
    7. Yoda.
    8. Paige Tico.
    9. Alderaan.
    10. Captain Needa.

wobbits and Dagobahsystem like this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Mad : Luke Skywalker
    Sad : Han Solo
    Mad : Admiral Ackbar
    Sad : Padme
    Mad : Darth Vader
    Sad : Obi Wan
    Mad : Uncle Owen , Aunt Beru ( to brutal )
    Sad : Yoda
    Mad : Mace Windu
    Sad : Shimi Skywalker

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    1.) Han
    2.) Luke
    3.) Vader
    4.) Jango
    5.) Qui Gon
    6.) Shmi
    7.) Padme
    8.) Yoda
    9.) Dooku
    10.) Mace

Ava G. and Dagobahsystem like this.
  17. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    (Is this supposed to be in order, cuz... didn't really happen. First 5 are good, tho)

1. Han Solo - how he puts his hand on Ben's face right before he falls...
    2. Shmi Skywalker - I think what gets me in this every time is that Anakin promised as a little kid he would come free her, and he did, in a way, and then she died in his arms...
    3. K2-S0 - okay, this is just tragic
    4. Cassian Andor + Jyn Erso - more of the "peace and purpose" feeling which is why I didn't list Luke's death 'cause I wasn't that... sad. It was just so meaningful
    5. Amylin Holdo - In my opinion, this is - not the best scene, or event, or anything - but the best moment in The Last Jedi
    6. The youngling who says, "Master Skywalker, there are too many of them." - the trust. Way too sad
    7. Nanta the Ewok - :_| enough said
    8. Padme Amidala - that she never got to see Anakin, when he turned good, or watch her kids save the galaxy. Although I firmly believe she "met" him in the Force
    9. Paige Tico - I love the way she's willing to die for the Resistance - not just willing but actually does it. And they made it really dramatic.
    10. Anakin Skywalker - what can I say? Anakin (not Vader) meets his son for the first time. Then he dies. Interesting to think of their "meeting" after death though.

Note: Can anyone think of anyone is Star Wars who has a happy life? Arguably, even Jar Jar has met up with his fair amount of strife. I mean, there he was, eating his brisky morning muncheon and POW! Dissen Jedi arriven...

18. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    1. The Ewok who dies but his pal thinks he's alright, but it turns out he's dead.
    2. Greedo - he was so pleased to finally get to take out Solo, he was really happy, then it all went wrong in a flash.
    =3. Max Rebo & Band - I'm convinced they were collateral damage when the barge exploded. They were a terrific act.
    =3. Salacious Crumb - not a nice fella, but maybe he just wasn't that smart. Didn't deserve to die.
    5. Yoda - just very moving
    6. The Rancor - the reaction of his handlers says it all - must've been a terrific guy.
    7. The droid in Jabba's palace who falls to pieces under torture. Really looked like he'd been through the mill.
    8. The murdered Jawas. Were in over their heads. Was unnecessary - they'd surely have cooperated.
    9. Nute Gunray - all he ever wanted was Padme's head on his desk, but he never even got that. Wanted peace, too.
    10. Sifo-Dyas. Left us too soon.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    1) Ki Adi Mundi
    2) Garven Dreis (Red Leader no longer Standing by)
    3) Bodhi Rook
    4) Baze Malbus
    5) Count "Dewit" Dooku
    6) K2-SO
    7) Paige
    8) That one A-Wing pilot who took out The Executor
    9) Han Solo (spoilers!)
    10) Holdo

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    From the saga films:
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    Zam Wesell
    Shmi Skywalker
    Count Dooku
    Padmé Amidala
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Master Yoda
    Boba Fett (irritating how it was done)
    Paige Tico
    Luke Skywalker

Tbh, I find Rogue One to be the most emotional SW film to watch. I tear up when Chirrut and Baze die. As well as K-2SO, believe it or not. Galen's death is also so sad. I feel bad for Jyn. And Cassian is trying to pull her away to safety and she is crying "I can't leave him." And their subsequent argument on the ship about losing family is very emotional. R1 is definitely the most emotional for me personally.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I never really got over Porkin's death. So #1 for him

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    1. Luke
    2. Luke
    3. Luke
    4. Luke
    5. Luke
    6. etc...

Seriously though...
    =1. Luke
    =1. Obi-Wan
    3. Leia (probably)
    =4. Qui-Gon
    =4. Shmi
    6. Yoda
    7. Biggs
    8. Ki-Adi-Mundi
    9. Maul (in Rebels)
    10. Padme

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is more of a Saga question so I'm moving the thread over to the Saga In-Depth forum.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm not gonna take the time to figure out all five right now, but the first is, (hands down) Han Solo. Even though I knew beforehand when it was going to happen, and how it was going to happen, I even had basically memorized the dialogue, (I had read the junior novelization) It still left me in shock with tears on my face for the whole rest of the movie. :_|:_|:_|:eek::eek::eek::(:( =((=((

Ava G. likes this.
  25. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    None for me.

The saddest death in Star Wars for me is the Rancor.

He was just a beloved pet trying to have his dinner. :_|

That pathetic little 'why me' whimper as he death lurches under the door makes me feel sad inside.

I'm this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Lulu Mars and Snafu55 like this.