main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT [RANT] Why I like the PT more than the OT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ryzoft, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryzoft

Ryzoft Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2015
    First off, I don't want to start an argue here, I am just expressing my own opinion.

I don't remember which movies I watched first, but I sure did watch all 6 of them, and I admittedly liked the prequels a lot more than the originals. For me, the prequels have a political background, which dives into the real state of the galaxy before the empire. It gives us more insight into the expanded universe and relies to explain every detail - how was the galaxy ran? What is the republic? What was there a seperatist crisis? What is confederacy of independent systems? etc.

George Lucas definitely showed us a way into the heart of Star Wars, in which you don't get a "merry band of alleged heroes trying to save the galaxy from evil and as always end up living happily ever after", but he delivers us every little bit of information of how things are run, background story of the clone army, the Kamino, Count Dooku's betrayal etc. He is giving us a grand scale of the galaxy, grand scale galactic war between the Republic and the seperatists, grand scale of Coruscant, the main planet among Core Worlds and the center of the Republic, later the empire.

George Lucas shows us the drama behind Anakin Skywalker's sad story, and how he fell for Palpatine's tricks, his emotional turmoil from his mother's death to fear of losing his secret wife, Padme. Later on he kills her himself in rage, and Obi Wan said he considered him his own brother! This all can very easily bring a tear.

The prequels are receiving more hate than they deserve. A lot of people just want to be "cool" and hate the prequels because a lot of others do, and that created a chain that once breaks, just fills back.

If you are complaining about CGI, then I say what's wrong with it? Without it, you wouldn't get the Coruscant as it is.

If you are complaining about Jar Jar Binks, then I say what wrong with him? I find chewbacca and the Ewoks as annoying as he can be. But later on, he doesn't even make much appearance in episode 2 and 3.

2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Ryzoft, you deserves respect!! It is really what I think about PT, they brought much more deepening to the saga and the universe.

Jedi-Gambino likes this.
  3. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    This thread is blasphemous. [face_phbbbbt]

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    and why?

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014

For implying that the prequels are in any way better than OT.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Conversely, we could say, "A lot of people who claim to like the prequels just want to be contrarian... they're basically a bunch of hipsters, who think it's cool to go against the trend." See how silly that is?

Look, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of posts on this site alone which go into exhausting detail about exactly why people don't like the prequels (including CGI and Jar Jar, both of which you asked about.) If at this point you still don't believe that people honestly don't like them, or if you truly don't understand why they don't like them, then you're either not reading other people's posts, or you're not comprehending them. You don't have to agree with their points, of course, but you must be aware of them, so I don't really get why you're asking "What's wrong with them?", unless you're just trying to bait people into more prequel-bashing.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

LOL, you "don't want to start an argument," and then you ask people to respond. OK, you have an argument. You're new here, but seriously.... there are THOUSANDS of posts here highlighting what people see as the strengths and weaknesses of the PT. You're not breaking any new ground here.

First, let me say that I wanted to LOVE the PT. In stead, I just kinda like it. A lot of that DID have to do with the films having a very different feeling. Moreso, however, it was about some terrible decisions Lucas made. But I will limit myself to the two questions you asked.

1) What was wrong with the CGI. No one (at least no one I know) think s CGI should not have been used. It is a powerful tool, and should eb used where necessary to bring a scene to life. Most of us complaining are more bothered by it's us when it was not only NOT necessary, but even detrimental. You no doubtr would arguew every individual point I would bring up, but whether you like it or not personally, many of us were not thrilled withe CGI clones used for every clone trooper, even the ones you see up close. Bad choice. That's one example. There are plenty of others where a little restrain would have gone a long way, IMO.

2) Jar Jar. Really. Jar Jar is the hill you want to fight on. Jar Jar is, of course, the worst character of the saga. He's slapstick. He's ridiculous. He's goofy. You want to compare him to Chewy? You're nuts. Chewy is a great character. The Ewoks? I have my criticisms of the Ewoks, but watch the battle scene on Naboo again. Seriously, do it. I just did. Worst. Character. Ever.

Lucas' vision for the PT was ambitious. He succeeded at a lot of it. But they are also deeply flawed movies. Meh... I still like 'em. But better than the OT? Yeah.... NOPE!

lovelikewinter likes this.
  8. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I have to agree with you OP. For the PT its all there. It made the galaxy bigger, it showed the political scene, it had a love story and The Duel finally happened. It tells a deeper story. (And the Clone Wars is much cooler than the battle of hoth.)

Like you said there are people online who think its cool to hate on the PT. They find anything to bring these movies down. Cgi, jar jar, acting whatever. But you know if the OT had been made after the PT or rebooted today it would have cgi. SW always tried to push boundaries in special effects. And was there any oscar winning acting performances in the OT? No.

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

There's something called "opinion". If there's nothing wrong with disliking the PT, why would there be something wrong with liking the PT more than the OT?

Admiral Volshe and mes520 like this.
  10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

Oscar-winning? No. Oscar nominated? Yes. Alec Guiness was nominated.

You have a point that there probably are people online that simply follow the crowd and the general opinion that the OT is superior. That being said, if you acknowledge that, you must also realize that there are probably a group of people who like the prequels simply to be edgy and against the mainstream.

Thiazzi likes this.
  11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ryzoft, look man not everyone knows the PT is superior to the OT, not everyone is aware. It was getting to the point were team OT was going to concede and then Disney came along. Disney started pandering. The PT era will get it shine again.

Jedi-Gambino, Darkslayer and mes520 like this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's your opinion and I'll respect that.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm kind of in both camps. I love both trilogies, despite (and partially because) they are very different things.

The OT is pretty much what it is supposed to be. It's a solid standalone trilogy, and has it's strengths with or without looking at it through the lens of the PT's restructured narrative. It is much more of a "people's" trilogy IMO. The characters are better presented; you feel like you are watching actual people for the most part. Characters in the PT are arguably more complex, they are much more symbolic, and tend to make far more sense when looking at a saga as a whole.
    Don't get me wrong, there is complexity to many of the characters in the OT. Particularly watching Luke Skywalker develop over three films... I don't think many SW fans fail to appreciate his transition from farmboy into a Jedi Knight. It makes the trilogy for me, at least.
    The rest of the OT ensemble is pretty well written and acted for the most part as well. To me, there aren't character moments in the PT anywhere near as funny as some of the exchanges among Han, Leia, Chewbacca and Threepio in Empire Strikes Back. It's just more genuinely relatable than some arguably weak attempts at humour in the prequels (just a generalisation mind you, I enjoy most of the humour in Phantom Menace, and even the darkest period ROTS has some welcome funnier moments... Obi-Wan's R4 being decapitated by a buzzdroid getting a hilarious lack of reaction from Obi-Wan - "Oh dear." ... some of Palpatine's manipulations of Anakin are I think intentionally ironic - "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest didn't they?" ... and the lava droid that gives Obi-Wan and Anakin a startled look when they are dueling each other on top of those pipes on Mustafar).
    The romance between Han and Leia is (personally) so much better than Anakin's and Padme's, although arguably far less necessary for the films.
    As far as the bad guys, Vader's presence in the OT leaves a lasting impression, and is perhaps only beaten in the intimidation factor by The Emperor in ROTJ. The OT just has really memorable characters.

At the risk of dissing the PT too much, I must also say I think the world created by the originals is more iconic, and more thought-out. I was 11 when I saw the OT, and maybe it was my age, but I never questioned that the Empire came across as a very real thing. If you start at ANH, even with fairly little information, you get the sense of comradery from the Rebellion, and can pretty quickly relate to why they would want to get rid of the Empire. The characters (generally) just gel more than in the prequels, and the story (albeit being a simpler one) makes you want to see the main characters reach their happy ending.

Having said all that, it annoys me a little to see the PT go so unappreciated by the majority of people. They are really ambitious films. Lucas could have played it safe and made another OT, but he tried something unique, with admittedly varied results. It's not a trilogy that stands on it's own like the (perhaps untouchable) OT, but there is a lot of attention to detail if you look for it. The way Lucas wrote the PT scripts, seemingly obvious exposition and dialogue can at times take on a greater symbolic meaning if fitted into a bigger picture. Palpatine's machinations particularly, are arguably more interesting than his presentation in ROTJ (and his one scene in ESB). Anakin's character arc, while hit and miss IMO (not a huge fan of parts of his portrayal in AOTC), is pretty rich and inter-weaved into the flow of the six films. Particularly Revenge of the Sith - people who say the characters in the PT don't matter as much to the film are really watching as different film to me, as the whole movie progresses and turns with it's protagonist.

I think Lucas was expecting a little more faith from the fanbase tbh. AOTC seems a little more subdued than the other five, like he was pandering to retaliation from fans after TPM. It is just personal taste of course, but he really seems to have poured a lot into the trilogy, and I think seeing the PT as even a different series is such a waste of everything it presents.

14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    OP - like what you want to like.

Forget the rest.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    If folks like the PT better than the OT, I have absolutely zero issues with their choice. Star Wars is about to bring in another generation of fans. You'll have young kids who think the upcoming trilogy is the best etc. One of the nicest things I remember about the PT, was seeing TPM in an audience with 6 year olds who proclaimed it was the best movie ever. It was a treat to watch my former dear friends young daughters love the PT. I was in that place for the OT and it's great to see that reflected in younger kids (yeah, I sound like the Queen Mother now but it's true.)

I appreciate that some folks like the political angle and romance of the PT over the adventure / fantasy of the OT.

Explain why you do and this makes it even more valid to me.

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Locking. We do not want threads with personal rants. Discuss your thoughts in the other threads that discuss the topic. Ryzoft

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.