main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON RANT!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Mert_Skywalker, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Hardware errors such as that tend to be a result of poor installation. No working hard drive should act like that, regardless of the OS you use. A hard drive shaking your desk has nothing to do with the OPERATING SYSTEM. Your case seems to be one I have never heard before. Similarly, the sound card must not have been installed properly - physically and/or the drivers. I suggest uninstalling it completely and getting the drivers from the site.

NTFS isn't that great for end-users. Lots of games have issues with NTFS, and it's infact a lot slower than FAT32. The fact you think NTFS is a blessing shows your lack of knowledge in this area. You're hardly in an area to start dubbing things "good" or "bad".

If this doesn't help, get help from some professionals.

Or get one of your beloved Macs.

2. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    No, it's XP....My computer likes to do the moonwalk when I try to load icq...and I bought the thing 2 weeks ago.

3. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    On the other hand, I got the computer over a year ago and XP has NEVER crashed. It has been a simple matter of:
    • Not installing anything that has possible viruses (yes, ICQ is not virus-free)

• Having a decent virus scan software (I got 1 virus and Norton got it immediately)

• Ensuring the computer is actually put together and formatted correctly beforehand

• Not dowloading software with viruses and/or spyware (ie Kazaa)

• Knowing what you're doing

Now not having any computer crashes tells you something. It's not really an anolmaly that it works perfectly. Now if your last few computers that you built didn't work either, that may say something.

4. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Ok, my rant is to most people, some who don't even read the boards. But I'm frustrated with everyone telling me my comp is not set up properly for games. I KNOW it's not set up properly for games, it's NOT a gaming PC!!! I use my PC for research, design and film, that's all. I'll play a game every now and then if I get bored of my console games, but I'm a console gamer.

Now, NTFS doesn't work good with games, correct, but it's secure enough to keep the hackers out of my comp (I was hacked last year and it wasn't fun). I have about 3 games on my PC and I don't play them much, so why whenever I ask for help everyone trys to boast my PC for gaming? I just don't get it.

5. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    My rant is on valentines day too, but slightly different. I get really tired of hearing all the single people of the world complaining about valentines day and saying how much they hate it and how it's just a stupid commercial holiday, but if next year comes around and they're not single anymore, valentines day is numbah one. I currently am in a relationship, and a dandy one at that, but I still hate valentines day. I don't want or need a day to let my boyfriend know that I care about him, and I don't want or need some material possesion to let me know that my boyfriend cares about me.

Down with valentines day forever.

6. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Also, people who refer to crackers as hackers bug me. Stop giving smart people a bad name :( Stupid media.

And XP bugs me. Down with XP, up with win2k! More is not always better.

7. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I don't hate Valentines day because its commercial. Thats what Christmas is for in my eyes :p I don't hate it becuase people are happy. I don't hate it at all really. I am a hopeless romantic. But without the Romance I feel hopeless. And to have a day devoted to it and to be constantly reminded of it becomes bothersome to me.

If you are happy I am hppy for you and you are right I probably will like it when I am in a relationship. But I am not and hate being reminded about it. Thats what I hate.

This post was just clarification not and argument please dont take it the wrong way.

I agree...DOWN WITH THE DAY...Alternate names D-Day or Stay in bed until Staurday Morning day. lol

8. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    I have a major problem with this city's no good, lousy mother loving transit system.

I slept at a buddy's house last night and we had decided to go to church this morning by bus since his folks were out of town and no one to drive us. We got out there and waited, and waited, and waited, in the bloody cold for 45 minutes to an hour with no sign of a bus. When we both agreed that if we don't get inside we'll cause permenent damage to sensitive areas, we went back to his place.

Honestly, the stupid jingle of theirs is not the transit system's greatest problems. Infact, singing it on a day like today waiting for the bus keeps you somewhat warmer.

"I've got a chaufer who won't steer me wrong" - taken from jingle. Yeah, of course he won't steer me wrong, he never showed up!

Oh, and on the radio or tv there were no announcements that buses were cancelled or anything, before you even think about that.

Pff, public service my @ss.

9. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    Are you saying you want the public to service your @ss? What's wrong with it?

10. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Ok, this is a forewarning... some may be offended by this rant or even find it racist, but this is my opinion, and I'm allowed to express it.

My uncle has a Dell computer, and it crashed on him real bad. So he called Dell's tech support, and he got a person with an Indian accent. Frustrated because he wasn't able to understand him, he hung up and tried again. After five tries, he realized that he kept getting the same sort of accent, and was barely able to understand it.

He called Dell's regular phone line and asked what's the deal. Dell has moved their ENTIRE tech support to India! I'm sorry, but that is one of the most stupidest things I've ever heard! I don't mean to be racist, but it is not uncommon for people to not understand foreign accents, and considering Dell's industry is mostly North American, why would they do such a stupid thing. Of course, they probably only have to pay them 50 cents an hour over there, but still. If you can't understand "great tech support" regarding one of your most expensive possesions, then why even offer it.

Dell, get your [inaudible] act together!

This rant is not intended to be offensive, but to tell my point on the subject to you

11. BobaFett_YJN

May 27, 2001
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/cyber/_photos/dell-dude-story.jpg]
    "Dude, don't get a Dell!"

12. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I have a response to that, but it will have to wait till I get home.... if I said something about that while i"m here at work, I might get in trouble.... ;)

Some of you may know that my job is computer technical support... NOT for Dell. I just can't say which company it is that I work for... although they gave us really nice glowing pens with HP Invent written on the side....

Edit: OK, now I"m home, I can say a bit more. If you want Tech support stories, go to Compaqsucks.com but I don't know how up to date it is.

13. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
  14. Jedi_Smallman

Jedi_Smallman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 9, 2002
    MY RANT:

I am so bloody sick and tired of bloody immature people. ESPECIALLY ON THE NET!!!!!!!!! I try and post pics with a login and Pass but some immature (you know bloody well what) changes the bloody password. Well you worthless peice of infectious human waste if your reading this.....I HOPE YOU LIFE IS A MISERABLE AS YOU ARE PATHETIC AND IMMATURE. You are worse then admions on JK2 servers who abuse thier powers. You're probably some lonley worthless good for nothing wingnut who makes himself feel better by doing stupid petty things to others. whoever you are if i find you......lets just say i'd come clean if I were you...i dont tend to get angry if someone comes clean.

15. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    are you sure that's what happened? :\

16. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Also, it IS a risk taken when posting a username and password on a message board. But then again, it is still a tad immature in any case.

17. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    I've probably already made a rant to this effect if not once but many of times, but I really hate Windows XP.

I can't explain it, as far as I know I'm the ONLY person to experience this problem, but for some unknown reason there will come a time about a month after re-installing Windows that it'll decide to just stop loading. Because I don't want to lose my "borrowed" programs, my only alternative is to create a new Windows folder and start over. I have three Windows folders on my comp, 2 on my C drive, and one on an E drive. My latest folder (the E drive) has just stopped working. As some of you have seen, while using Windows a lovely window will pop up explaining that WIndows requires me to install something from the CD. I do this, and my Windows stops working. I don't do this, and my Windows stops working. Of course, I am writing this rant on my never-crashing iMac that is the PC equivilent to a P1-300mhz 32MB RAM POS. I don't know why a Mac that is twice the age of the club is still more reliant than my 2 year old PC. Oh, and because my IM of choice (MSN) isn't available for any Mac operating system (which it used to be) I'm unable to log in. Instead of filling this post with curses and frustration, I have decided to calmly explain why I am ranting in a manner which shouldn't bring up any argument by those who have not experienced any major issues with a Windows based system. And I will agree, Windows for Workgroups never crashes (it predates Windows 3.1). That is all.

18. Jedi_Smallman

May 9, 2002
    I am frankly ticked off at the fact that someone here on the boards can
    BLATANTLY post a racist remark and have no repercussion for it (the post wasn't even deleted, nor the user banned).

If someone wants to make a racist joke or comment in private so be it. However, FanForce is a PUBLIC FORUM one in which people of ALL RACES participate in.

The thing that really gets me steamed is the fact that I informed an RSA of the problem and they did SQUAT about it.

What the hell is FanForce comming to when we have to put up with this crap?!?!?!?!?!?

i'm finished

19. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Kevin,
    I think waiting for an outcome by one day would have done wonders. This was a holiday weekend and the CR and 2 RSA's were not availible like they would have been at any other time.
    The topic is still being discussed and will be handled.

20. Jedi_Smallman

May 9, 2002
    I informed you Chris far enough before the holiday weekend. Don't try and make me look like the one in the moron here.

Edit: my point was made without the vulgarity

21. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    I think you guys should take this off the boards!

22. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    The heck is wrong with the Academy of Motion Pictures!?

How in the world did Kill Bill not get a single oscar nomination, but LOTR got 11 and Finding Nemo is actually nominated for Best Original Screenplay!?!?!!

Now, the Oscars always have one mistake every year, that's allowed (ie Julia Roberts getting an oscar, Annie Hall winning Best Picture in 1977), but when they totally ignore one of the best films of the past year, which is terrically directed and written, and give it all to a movie which granted, is good, is not truly oscar worthy. And what's with a Disney produced film getting a nomination for Best Original Screenplay? Sure, it made a whack of money, and I hear about the thing ALL THE TIME, but there are no memorable lines or moments in it.

They have finally pushed me over the edge, and I'm boycotting it this year, and every year for that fact.

23. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    The Academy has long had a certain standard of excellence. While snooty and highly overrated, the standard is nothing but consistant. They have said fromt he beginning that they are wholeheartedly against Science Fiction, Comedy, Horror, and Extreme Violence, unless it merits a certain artistic quality. This is why films like Lord of the Rings (which I do agree is the best film of the year) and 2001 : a space odyssey are considered to be Oscar Worthy but Star Wars gets shunned...however it still got nominated which is a feat of its own considering it was a B movie in an A movie world.

Kill Bill is very much the same thing. A film based in genres and themes generally shunned by the film industry elites. Unfrotunately the film world is highly classed and very divided on many fronts. I find a better testament to a film's success is how it does in the festivals, not how many awards it wins or how much money it makes.

As for Finding Nemo, the creative team at Pixar have always been excellent story tellers and now that they are finally getting out of the shadow of Disney (I beleive Incredibles will be their last film with Disney) they will prove their worth. Do not shun it because it is a childrens story.

24. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Well Finding Nemo was a good movie, yet in no way do I find it to be Oscar Nomonie Material.

Kill Bill was an incredible movie. The fact it wasn't even COSIDERED for the Oscars sure does piss me off. Sure there's extreme violence (which some of us don't mind), yet I doubt that should be a reason for it to be shunned from the Awards. It had A-List Actors (Which ALWAYS seems to to appeal to the oscars), had a great director, and sure did it's job on being a Kung Fu Flick.

I never have been able to take any academy awards seriously. They find that the best movies are the ones that 'touch you heart'. Well here's an idea, times are changing! Not everyone was a Sob Story anymore. Kill Bill should have been nominated (at least)

25. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Well if we are all going to rant about the movies we thought should have been nominated I have a nice long list. This year alone I was digusted at the fact that NO awards show gave Sean Astin a nod. But C'est La Vie. Fact of the Matter, and whther we like it or not, our opinions are just that...opinion. until we can reach a certain level of credibility those opinions mean nothing to the Academy. If you really want to affect the out come of the awards I suggest you find a way to join the AMPAS voting crew.

Besides they are just awards. I don't see why everyone holds so much stock in them and gets all upset about the nominations. Obviously your taste in films is not recognized by the academy. This is why I always hold more weight in the Festival Circuits. They always have better movies anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.