main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON RANT!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Mert_Skywalker, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    New Episode 2 toys 15 bucks...sheesh...I saw a preview jedi starfighter at a comic shop for 44 bucks and it`s tiny!!!! damn capitalisim.

2. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    Hey Leigh, I know a Boba Fett and a Zam Wesell in the club that might like to make a few bucks on the side..... 8-}

3. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    If Dooku is anything like his #@&%#%$@&# tunic..........he is EVIL indeed!!!!! :mad:

4. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Muwahahahahahahahaha..................

5. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Here's my rant. I posted it in the Spiderman thread, regarding deleting the images of the World Trade Centre Towers from Spiderman:

How would showing the image of two buildings that no longer exist to be "disrespectful" and "letting Osama win"? Why stop with Spiderman? Why not go through each and every movie taking place in the future, where the towers still exist, and cut any scenes relating to that? Just because we see two destroyed buildings doesn't mean we're showing any less respect.

Did you see the movie "Small Soldiers"? It starred Phil Hartman and it was released shortly after he was brutally murdered by his own wife. Yet, it was still released and it brought the viewers fond memories of the late comedian. They did not cut out the scenes in which the soldiers attacked Phil with guns, it's the same thing with Spider Man. Same with the movie "The Crow: City of Angels". The star died midway through filming yet the movie was released after pick-up shots were done. Same with the "Vampire Queen" starring Alliyah. She died several months ago and her film was still released, unchanged. Movies made all over the world feature people and buildings that may no longer exist. There is simply no reason to change such scenes.

Letting the terrorists "win" would be something like what we're doing now, which is being way too sensitive to these things. Films should be released the way they were made. They should not have to be changed due to sensitivity issues. If that were more common, they would start by cutting all "offensive" and "insensitive" content from movies, and wouldn't that be great!

6. Apprentice_Anakin

Apprentice_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Sep 17, 2001
    NOT BEING ABLE TO GO TO THE CHARITY SCREENING WITHOUT BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
  8. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    improper grammar really ticks me off it is very very very very bad and should be eliminated. whoever uses bad grammar ie adding a million ! after a sentance are really annoying. those bad people. i wish that it would all go away like new coke and mark hamills acting career but it wont. dang it.

9. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    So, I guess it would really tick you off to point out your spelling and punctuation errors in that post, eh??????????????????????????????????????????

10. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    My bloody monitor will only go up to 640*480! Do you know how much of a pain in the butt it is to play JK2 like that? Well, hopefully the new monitor comes in soon.

11. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    I know, I know, double post, but I NEED to rant about this one.

I just got my DSL connected on my dad's computer and I thought I'd test it out. I've seen all the commercials and trailers in super fast downloading speed. So I decided to also try to watch music videos on Launch.com.

The very first one I try was Moto-psyco by Megadeth and I immediatly selected to view it in full screen.

To my horror, some guy from Blink 182 did a little promo for Launch. I couldn't believe it. I was ready to break something. Who in their right mind would put that in the beginning of a heavy metal music video!? I'm so outraged by this terrible decision that I almost forgot to watch the rest of the video because I clicked off the vid!

12. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    No one can blame you for doing that. When someone was in your position, that was the only option. I applaud you for your courageous actions, Mitch. :D

13. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    I like Blink 182. Down with you!

14. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Coragous? What the heck? You're whining like a baby because in order for you to watch free videos, you have to sit through a short ad involving a member of a band many people like, but you hate.

15. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    Graeme made me a few Blink CDs (leaving out the REALLY bad ones, like I wouldn't play "Mother's Day" for my mother... LOL) and I like listening to them.... 8-}

.....but I like Queen and Metallica too.... so we can all get along [face_love]

16. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Ok, I just have one thing to settle this whole Blink 182 debate:

Blink 182 is to music as
    Godzilla 2000 is to movies.

They both are recent spinoffs of other things (Ever heard the Ramones?)

They are both quite humorous if you look at it from afar.

And neither should be taken seriously.

Better?

17. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    ouch!
    I never saw godzilla, but I heard it was really bad, which means you're saying that Blink 182 is bad.....which means you're evil! lol.

What a surprise, I like Blink too (my sister chelsea's doing....) so I think you're overrun with blink fans mitch, I think you should just leave it alone before we gang-beat you.

18. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Geez Mal, how many times have you wanted to involve me in a gang bang... I mean gang beating?

I know you all like Blink and I can't make you think otherwise, but luckily I have freedom of speech and can rant all I want!

19. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    I don't think Mitch is outnumbered. He's got himself on his side! Not to mention myself.

20. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    BUMP!

Come, on. You can't tell me everyone's feeling PERFECT, eh? We need some good rants nowadays.

21. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    OK, the stupid canadian geography course I have to take because of the Fac of Ed making us.

Very boring and a waste of time. At least it's easy. Why?

This was part of what we had to do on our midterm. I am not making this up.

They gave us a map of Canada with the borders and asked us to label the provinces and territories and capital cities.

AND THIS IS A SECOND YEAR UNIVERSITY COURSE!

Oh yeah-and the Brock library is the same as the Jedi Archive library

They're always missing what you need!!!

22. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    My rant is the huge coverage that people are getting on AOTC's box office intake. Every time I go to the AOTC spoilers & non-spoilers boards, I see several threads hoping Star Wars will beat Harry Potter, Fellowship of the Ring, and Spiderman, etc,etc. This type of coverage is ridiculous. What's even worse is that people use this as a means of comparison to claim one film is "better" than the other. This also ticks me off because it is highly inaccurate. Spiderman opened in nearly every theater in North America and sometimes multiple times in theaters! AOTC opened in less that 10,000 theaters, if I'm not mistaken, and it plays in ONE screen in our local theater. It's especially worse when one film was released years earlier, when movies weren't as popular as they are today. Then people I know who say I have no life (none of you guys) say stuff like "Well Spiderman beat Star Wars in the box office". When my response is something like "so what?" the response is "it's proven that Star Wars sucks" or words to that extent. Oh yeah, like seeing how much money another film made and how many members of the almighty public went to see it will change my view on movies. It shows how those threads or reports on TFN serve no essential purpose.

23. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    Hey Stef, are you saying you needed a map of Canada to look up all those provinces, territories and capital cities....and the Brock library didn't have one? 8-}

btw, Nick...I agree with you completely. Box office sales are not a true gauge of whether one film is better than another. To do a true comparison, you would need to conduct a controlled experiment. As you said, there are far too many parameters which influence sales...that have nothing to do with the lasting quality or popularity of the movie.

24. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    As far as the box office and which film beats which film... They show the money made opening weekend, but the don't show Number of tickets actually sold. As far as shear numbers in the seats and facturing in inflation... the Biggest seller of all time was GONE WITH THE WIND... personally, I could never sit throught the whole thing...lol... But facts are facts and Gone sold more seats... They just charge way more now. lol

I knew one day all these useless trivia tid-bits woudl come in handy...lol

25. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    But even still, you can't really compare movies on the basis of number of tickets sold.
    People went to see "Gone With The Wind", possibly multiple times, because in 1939, there wasn't much else to do! Plus the fact that they wanted to hear Clark Gable say the horrific word "DAMN" on screen, which had never been done before.

These days, there's a plethora of entertainment activities to choose from, but the Star Wars fans give up all else to go to the theatre. Even if it means riding their bikes long distances in the dark, or searching the sofa cushions for pennies to make up the ticket price....we make the weekly pilgrimage because we want to.....in fact, we MUST! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.