main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON RANT!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Mert_Skywalker, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    LOL No Laurie, I should have added that-I needed books for my essay-quotes! The test was EASY!

2. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Nothing to do? Didn't they have a war to start in 1939?

Anyway, time for my rant. I am ranting towards all those people who sees someone wearing glasses and immediatly thinks they're a computer geek. Now I know I am, but there are others out there cursed with poor eyesight and yet they are perceived as computer wizes when in fact they might be as big as a newbie as every AOL user in existence.

That would be as if every blonde I saw I'd think they're a dits. There are pleanty of smart blondes out there (still waiting to meet one though) and they get this sterotype.

So please, no more sterotyping if you do it.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    blond.

glasses.

computer geek.

hrm.

4. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    I know PLENTY of smart blondes....and yes, it is natural.

and I WAS a dirty blonde, and I'm pretty smart (my hair just kinda changed naturally, then I died it).

5. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    You were DIRTY?

And you DIED your hair? Does that mean you ummm, killed it? That's not very SMART. j/k

*Sorry, I just got back from AOTC once again, and there were a few noisy kids there I wanted to dispatch, but that's illegal...so I'll take my frustration out on you! 8-}

6. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I agree Mitch, why do people ask Erik do help with their programs when he uses Windows ME and likes it???

Another thing, why do they assume only people with glasses are computer geeks? The only way people know I can help them in classes and such with their programs, is to wear a pocket protector deely, but that's not a sure giveaway.

Maybe for some this is not a rant. Oh well

7. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    After my 10th AOTC viewing last night, someone walking out after the movie said "I thought Anakin became Darth Vader at the end"

ARGH!

Also, to make matters worse, there must have been an entire grade 1 class surrounding me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the fans who planned on screaming/harming children who talked during the film, but when it gets to the point where they just talk endlessly during the movie, it gets on my nerves. A lot of times I heard one or two endlessly saying the name of the character on screen (Jar Jar in particular). When Yoda said "Blind, we are, if creation of this clone army, we could not see", one child yelled out "See what?!". That almost made me lose it :p

When Count Dooku activated his red saber, one child said "He has a red one!". Thank you, Captain Obvious. A lot of them, who seemed to be in no way keen on sitting still and watching the film, would often shout "What's going on?"

Even though this gets me really angry sometimes when it gets to a certan point, I would never lash out like the fans you see in the AOTC boards.

8. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ok... a rant?... lets see... I STILL haven't seen the whole movie!... I missed the whole first half, and haven't been able to go back yet... I managed to get back in just before Obi meets Jango... (insert country music)...
    Din't see the famous kiss... or any of the rest of it.
    Unfortunatly, the theater was a bit too loud for my youngest and we were out of ear plugs, so i spent like 45 mins in the hall and another half hour working our way back to the seats... Letting his ears get used to it. Oh well... I WILL see the whole thing one of these days. Hard when you don't drive and can only go during the day...lol... anyway...

I'm better now... at least a few of the voices are...lol :)

9. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Those stupid little annoying emails I get that say "Bye bye Hotmail" or "Hotmail is closing soon" are total bull and irritate the Hell out of me! My favourite one though, is supposed to be have written by Bill Gates but says "Me and my partner Steve Jobs...". That's just funny because any computer geek could tell you that Steve Jobs is the iCEO of Apple Computers.

But one thing that I don't understand is that I only get these e-mails from females! What's with that!? Ladies, please, if it doesn't come from MSN themself it's NOT true!!!!!!!!!

Now, I am not stereotyping that it's only the ladies that do these stupid things it just seems the case whenever I get them.

... I'm calm now.

10. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm very pissed off. I'm a summer student where I work, so I basically take overflow. There are a lot of important projects going on right now because a new internal application is going live soon and we're in testing and setups. I was told when I was moved to the project management office that my job was going to be quality assurance. I'm one of mfur's testers, and I've also been testing and writing test scripts for lmac. Tamara came to me to do something relating to QA. I'm working on that now. This guy bob though. Oooh. He makes me want to kill something. He's got a superiority complex because he's full time and I'm a temp or something. He comes to me to do menial tasks for him because he's too lazy such as scanning, and asking around helpdesk and HR about how they do certain things (he started after I did). Then, when I put the crap he gives me on the back burner inplace of testing or setups for an internal app, he gets mad. And I want to go to my boss and say I don't want bob's ****ing work anymore and he can do that ***t himself.

I'm getting so pissed off from the last time he came to give me work that it's effecting me physically. He's seriously approaching my anger management breaking point.

11. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    So, more on the bob front.

I went to go talk to my boss and said that Tamara asked me to do some SAMCAT QA and that bob was upset I wasn't doing his work. Marc went and told bob that SAMCAT development takes priority over his work and bob said HE was frustrated because I never help him.

Well kiss my ass, that would because you give me ***t work to do, mr. lazy and you only work 7 hour days when even a SUMMER STUDENT is in for 8 hours a day. Which could probably explain why he's "so busy".

This guy is really pissing me off. But at least I tried to take care of it. People with superiority complexes and me never get along.

12. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    2 Words:

damn critics!

I won't get started :p

13. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Why do bands decide to cover a song and yet make it sound almost identical to the original?

I just heard a cover of Gary Numan's Cars by Fear Factory. It so similar to the original that if I wanted to hear the song, I might as well listen to the original!

I figure if you are going to cover a song you should at least try to make a unique interpretation of it. Sweet Dreams by Marylin Manson is an excellent example of making somebody else's song yours. Rebuild the Wall by Luther Wright and Wrongs from Kingston is another great example. The redid Pink Floyd's The Wall as country and western.

14. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    One reason why Gary Numan's version of Cars and Fear Factory's version sound the same is because Gary Muman is in both versions.

When Fear Factory asked to do a cover they also asked if Gary would like to be involved. He loved the idea (and I'm guessing he needed the cash too).

I like the Fear Factory version a little better...it's a little more RAW. :)

Another band that has had a lot of covers done from them is Queen. I don't think I have heard a bad remake yet.

15. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    Metallica did a nice cover of Stone Cold crazy by Queen. I didn't like the cover of We Will Rock you that Robbie Williams. It was no different.

16. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Have to say... I really like Metalica's version of Turn the Page. Close but a much harder edge than the original. :)

17. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar... actually, all of the songs on Garage Inc. (Their latest cover album, their first was called Garage Days) is pretty good.

18. wizard8

wizard8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    I saw Metallica at the Warehouse on the Garage Inc. tour.
    I'm glad they decided to do another cover album since their last studio effort sucked ass.
    Ugh, Reload, what happenned?
    Sometimes Metallica's better when they're not playing their own songs.

Yeah, Fear Factory's (who've now broken up) version of Cars sounds more like a remastering of the original than a cover, but damn if I didn't crank it in my car hundreds of times. I'd listen to it over the original.

I like the original Sweet Dreams better than Manson's. He cut too many of the classic melodies out, it was original, but just didn't have the arrangements that the original had. I can see how people like his revisioning of the song though.

I liked Orgy's cover of Blue Monday.

There was a serious trend among new metal bands a couple of years ago where if you didn't cover an '80s new wave song then you weren't cool.

Fear Factory- Cars

Orgy- Blue Monday

Disturbed- Shout (this one went over really well live, really pumped up the place)

Machine Head- Message in a Bottle

Coal Chamber with Ozzy- Shock the Monkey (I thought this one really sucked)

I'm sure there were others.

BTW, since we're on the subject of metal, not that they're my favourite band, but Rammstein is really bad ass live, most entertaining band I've seen live in many years.
    These guys are serious pyros, I think they'd be burning down buildings if they weren't making music and touring.

19. Fanboy_Solo

Oct 7, 2001
    I have a little tale of an encounter I had with some guy at my school.

I was walking down the stairs, carrying my backpack covered with SW buttons and stuff. I walked past some Grade 9 and his friend. I recognized him from before. He would tell me and my friends to "live long and prosper" in a mocking tone. This time he loudly whispered "I saw that nerd at the mall selling Star Wars toys or something, hyuk hyuck hyuck". I nearly wanted to punch the little bastard. "I can clearly hear you," I said. "Don't expect me to not react". He did his little I'm-so-cool-I-can-boss-you-around-geek, deal and said "that's nice" or something like that. "I'll have you know I was doing that for a charity, and it was in fact a raffle," I continued. "Now what does that mean to you?". His typical arrogant response was "you're a nerd, it's Star Wars, you nerd". Like that would hurt me. "So the fact that I am a fan of great movies I am a bad person and deserve ridicule? I didn't do ***t to you, so you can't really justify these claims that I'm a nerd and I have no life. " That let out most of whatever anger I had toward him. Then, he came up with one of the most horrible things a person has said to me:

"Why don't you, uh... go to a Sci-Fi convention? Hehehe"
    [face_shocked]
    :_|

My response: "I'd love to. Seeya there". Then I walked off. Boy the ignorance of some people. That was a funny encounter, nonetheless :)

20. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    hehe, that guy was an idiot!.
    and I loved your comeback. that was just great.

21. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Ok, I've lost it. It's time for the BIG one... the George Lucas RANT.

I started getting into this at the pool party, and I'm going to extend it now.

What's with Lucas (and Spielberg's slipping into this to) touching films that were made YEARS ago? Especially one's that became HUGE hits???

Honestly, wouldn't directors know the key rule "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"?

Why in the world is there a special edition? Please, someone tell me. Sure, the new effects look nice (completley out of place, but nice) but the new scenes are totally useless.

For instance, who here actually knows the truth about Greedo shooting first? We all do, he never shot! Han is a ruthless fighter and that's that. He's quick and offers no chance to the opposition. Not this "Oh, wait a second, fifteen years ago Greedo did shoot first, it's right *types it into the computer* here". C'mon George, smarten up. The same goes with the Jabba scene. Lucas even said in the 80's that the scene was useless hence it was cut out, yet once ILM says "Hey George... look what we can do" he says "Put it in".

To me this has made George Lucas in my mind take one step back from the title director to the title manufacturer, because it sounds as if it was just a grab for the money.

In my opinion, the THX remastered version of the OT is the best, (They cleaned up the effects without adding anything).

I definatley hope when the "Ultimate Edition" comes out on DVD it gives you the option to watch it the way it is supposed to be, not the way that made Lucas some extra dough.

22. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Why do they make it so difficult to renew your birth certificate? Honestly!

I had to go back to the freakin' court house five times because I didn't have something signed or no ID or things like that. And another thing is, they need your ID to get it!

"Do you have a liscence?"
    "No... that's why I'm trying to get my birth certifcate..."
    "Ok, how about a SIN?"
    "What did I just say?"

Then the ID they could use was like my library card, school card and an expired Air Miles card. The wouldn't accept my birth registration or health card...

Ugh! I hate people some times.....

23. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Not being able to go to any YJN events until the 17th of Aug which I am asking off (we have to work weekends)!

Hopefully next year I will be able to get a job at Brock so I can stay for the summer and avoid this! I miss everybody! Plus I can actually CONTRIBUTE with club people to conversations unlike my friends here who talk about math/physics principles or the people at work who discuss getting drunk or obscure bands or the fact that "that Yoda scene was so stupid-how can he do those things? he has a cane! What an awful movie!"

:_|

24. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Kelly Osbourne performing Papa Don't Preach...

Need I say more?

25. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Oh that was bad... Very Baaaaaaaadddddd.... ack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.