main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Rate "Solo" on 1 to 10 scale in this Poll & Also Rank It Among All the Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Nerdling, May 24, 2018.

?

On a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate "Solo: A Star Wars Story"?

1. 10 -- phenomenal!

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 9

64 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. 8

140 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. 7

95 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. 6

47 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. 5

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 4

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 3

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 2

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 1 -- abysmal :(

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTimeLord824

JediTimeLord824 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2017
    I loved it, actually. I thought it was a fantastic gunslinging Western. Alden sold me as Han, and we all knew Donald Glover was going to be fantastic anyway. The visuals were amazing, the aliens were very classic, and all the supporting characters were entertaining.
    My ranking:
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One
    3. Solo
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. A New Hope
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. The Last Jedi
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Phantom Menace

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Whaleyland

Whaleyland Jedi Master

Jul 23, 2009
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Solo
    6. Rogue One
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. The Clone Wars
    9. The Phantom Menace
    10. The Last Jedi
    11. Attack of the Clones
    Wow. As I was writing this, I inadvertently pushed The Last Jedi down yet another notch...and upon reflection, I am happy with it sitting there. Solo was a decent attempt at making a film sort of in the style of A New Hope, but it did not quite reach that level. That being said, I am still rooting for a Solo–Lando–Obi-wan trifecta where Qi'ra and Maul end up being the connective tissue. Han and Chewie should cameo in Lando to establish a stronger connection between the two, but it should primarily be a story about how Lando escaped Crimson Dawn and won Cloud City and met Lobot (in whichever order). Meanwhile, Obi-wan's story can be about how he learns Maul is leading Crimson Dawn and must confront him (obviously replacing/reprising the scene from Rebels). In this story, Han runs into Qi'ra again (after the two not meeting in Lando) but he realises that she's beyond saving and he must give her up. Not quite sure how she dies, but she should be Maul's right hand when she does. Maybe she is redeemed in the end, but that really would not match her character's past (a street rat) and development (a vigo). Alternatively, the trifecta could be Solo–Lando–Qi'ra, and her film ends with her destroying Crimson Dawn, somehow deafeating Maul, and stranding him on Atollon, where we find him in season 2 of Rebels. The Obi-wan film can then be a fourth in the series or a completely stand-alone affair, although that seems less likely. I feel his story will still be connected to Maul's, ending in the fight on Tatooine.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I went with 10 phenomenal right up there with the OT like the other Disney Star Wars films!

4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    1. ANH/ESB
    2. ROTS
    3. RO

I like Solo more than TLJ, and place it roughly equal with TFA.

5. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Just changed it from an 8 to a 9. I've watched it three times since yesterday and really love this movie.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    After DVD release I change my vote from 7 to 5. I had to force myself to watch Solo again and that is not good. I like technical and production values but story is so shallow that this is by far most forgettable SW film.
    I like all SW films but Solo is now on last place in my favorites list.

Ridley Solo and obi1jedinite like this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    6/10

1. AOTC
    2. ANH
    3. ROTS
    4. ESB
    5. TPM
    6. ROTJ
    7. Solo
    8. R1
    9. TFA
    10. TLJ

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I see you have decreased your vote several times. For me it's the opposite. I was very disappointed the first time. Then, after re-watching, I still find it mediocre, but I'm not annoyed by it anymore.
    I keep my 6, just 'cause I feel it lacks enthusiasm.

9. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
  10. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I was going to say our rankings were virtually identical until...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  11. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    And that is strange.
    I know I am always high on film after I watch it in theatre, but I dont think any other SW dropped so much.
    The Disney films
    TFA - I like it very much, new characters (I NEEDEED IT), old setup, I can watch it over and over again
    R1 - was not that high but in this case, especially after Solo, R1 is really growing on me, great film
    TLJ - what can I say, still like it, unlike the others I like Luke story, I like everything except Canto Bight scenes
    And Solo, something completly different. I find it difficult now to rate what film is better Solo or for example AoTC. First has great acting, good dialogues, AoTC has good story and bad other things. Which is better? I think AoTC as a part of something bigger. Solo is a film that you can safely skip watching SW marathon.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  12. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    I give Solo a 9

1- A New Hope 10
    2- The Empire Strikes 10
    3- Return of The Jedi 9.5
    4- Rogue One 9.1
    5- Solo 9
    6- The Force Awakens 8.5
    7- Attack of the Clones 8.3
    8- Revenge of the Sith 8
    9- The Last Jedi 7.5
    10- The Phantom Menace 7

13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Here this my original post on this thread. When I posted it, I gave Sol a 9.

Now, I give it a 10! And here are my new rankings.

1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. Solo
    4 RO
    5. TFA
    6. TLJ
    7. ROTJ
    8. ROTS
    9. AOTC
    10. TPM

I hate the prequels, and TESB will always be my #1. When Disney bought LF, and announced all these movies, I wanted something, well, different. Along comes TFA. Now we all know how similar it is to ANH, however for me the look and feel of it, the wonderful new characters (Rey, Poe and Kylo in particular) and the surprisingly acceptable performances of the original cast (in particular Han) was exactly what the franchise needed and it was very refreshing to me as it rekindled my love for the franchise. The movie was fun and extremely watchable. Im also a massive fan of the Falcon (who isn't) and there was a LOT of cool scenes with it so that helped!

Then there was RO. I loved it. Absolutely LOVED it. Then and more so now. I ranked it # 3 on my list last time. So here I do get the 'different' SW I wanted. By different though, I mean that it was not part of a trilogy, or the original Skywalker/Jedi story arc. It was action packed and superbly acted. A great new protagonist, a great new droid (sorry Threepio, I really was bored with you after TFA!) and a great new antagonist (Krennic). However - we knew how it must/was going to end, yet it was heartbreaking, a testament to the build up story and characterizations of the main cast. And did I mention one of the best Vader scenes ever. Heck they even got the (Tarkin and Leia) CGI spot on! Superb film, and I watch it often.

Solo. Ranked it 5th last time. People said we didn't 'need' a film about Solo. I agree with not needing, but I wanted. Han is my favorite SW character, Chewie close behind, and the Millennium Falcon my favorite vehicle/ship. You think I didn't want to see a whole movie centered around those three things? Heck yeah I did! It is now ranked 3rd, and if ANH isn't careful, Solo may well jump to 2nd at some point. RO was different but had the basic look and feel of the original trilogy. It have to have that, given the story and subject matter. What Im trying to say here is, the fact that Solo probably didn't 'need' to be made, is why its so surprisingly fantastic to me. Again, its quite obviously SW, and even though I want different all the time (because I don't want the SW universe to stagnate and get boring), it still has to be SW right! Well, the look and feel of Solo (the pictures, posters, merchandising, DVD/blue ray artwork, the music in the film, the wonderful new characters (honestly there isn't one I don't like) and the bleakness of the world the Empire has brought into the galaxy is perfectly captured (RO did that also)) - all these things make Solo just so great for me. There are so many other reasons I love it, but this post has already gone on too long now anyways.

Cutting a long story short, Solo, and RO are both superb additions to 'my' SW universe. I recently watched SOL, RO, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA and TLJ all in a row, 7 nights in succession. That is my SW, and the SW I love. Please PLEASE Disney - lets not knock the standalone films on the head just yet!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Initially I had this ranked as a 7.5, rounded it down to 7. The more I watch this, the more I enjoy it. Certainly a solid 8. While I like many others didn't clamor for this film, I really enjoy it now. Not everything has to be high stakes for me. Sometimes a fun adventure is more than sufficient. Sure there's a few things that I wasn't crazy about (giving the name, Maul, L#) but overall I like pretty much all of it. Thought the cast does a good job, pacing is good, the music has grown on me. I'll put it like this, I can't ever see myself groaning having to watch this film.

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. RO
    6. Solo
    7. ROTS
    8. TPM
    9. TLJ
    10. AOTC

darkspine10, heels1785 and Ava G. like this.
  15. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Finally got around to seeing this after moping for months about the miscast of my favorite character.

Still feel I was right and Alden Ehrenreich is the weak link in regards to looking like, sounding like or acting anything like the established character, but the film had its moments. Alden never quite morphed into the cynical man Han was in ANH. Nor did he ever really sell Han's vulnerability and underlying sensitivity under that rough exterior which came out with Leia so beautifully in the Bespin and Jabba rescue scenes, as well as Han stroking his son's cheek. True Alpha Harrison Ford and Adam Driver are brilliant at vulnerable masculinity, while that natural persona just wasn't there with Alden. Another thing missing was his insecurity about not being good enough (seen both regarding the Princess/smuggler factor and regarding his being surrounded by all these predestined, important larger-than-life figures and being the Forceless Muggle of the bunch--that insecurity of inadequacy is seen as late as him wondering how he could possibly get through to his son). It's like Solo wanted to go there and hinted at it with Qi'ra knowing his past, but we just didn't see the emotions of it Harrison expressed. We should have seen Han ashamed of his origins, perhaps. More should have been done about Han not having a family to the point of throwing away any last name he might have ever had. I would have preferred to trade the more comic scenes for perhaps something a bit more emotional, though the Beckett trade-off got closest to what I wanted to see in Han's transformation. He always had that heart of gold, but he had to have some things happen where he had reason to bury it just to survive in his line of work.

Lando/L3 also fell into parody for me. Lando was a smooth ladies man flirt, but he had a serious, focused side and wasn't Captain Jack Harkness in pure cheese mode.

Middle of the pack.

On the other hand, the Han/Chewie bromance, Beckett and some of the new backstory answers with all the callback echoes are things I ate up.

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. TLJ
    4. RotJ
    5. TFA
    6. RO
    7. Solo
    8. RotS
    9. AotC
    10. TPM

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  16. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    This was done in a quarter of a second when Han's eyes lower and lose focus after having been asked 'who are your people'. 'I don't have a people.' It's all there. I worked up a bio of details and timelines for the pre-SOLO:ASWS Han (to my satisfaction). I pegged Han leaving his home life at around 15yo. For modern analogues to work, he "had" to have been old enough to comprehend the 'ride' that his father worked on, so as for Han himself to have investment in that particular kind of ride. When he absorbed the fact that he was looking at a YT-1300 light freighter, he was being transported back in time and experiencing a communion with a father and a prior life, at the very late stages of that prior life. But before he experienced that *positive trigger on the snow planet, the general remembrance of his people was negative enough for him to deny them or their name or at least the name of his father. I wish I could remember what Lando said about his father when they were commiserating, but the general sense I recall was that they both had strained relationships. The YT-1300 light freighter and identification with it is the 'home' that Han is able to bring forward or salvage from that life.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think that moment when Han reflects about not having a people is that most underrated scene in the film. Great acting. Unpopular opinion, I suppose, but I love how he got the name “Solo.” It was quick and without fanfare, as it should have been, but still meaningful to his character.

wobbits, Blobofat and Hernalt like this.
  18. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Someone criticized the modern netflix / dvd / streaming / pause-capable mode of consuming film. Scorcese? It reduces the total experience because of the introduction of relief from the burden of focus, concentration, and deferred gratification. SOLO:ASWS is one such film that does not stand up well to that. The gems are very small.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    6 and it very much beat my expectations. Visually and tonally it feels like a space opera in the mold of the original trilogy. It just doesn't take many risks and goes for easy reactions. I think Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover both bring a lot of pathos to their respective characters and we can see them become Han and Lando down the road. I just think when they try to copy the mannerisms of Ford and Williams it is glaring and feels false.

20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    After much consideration, 6/10.
    Entertaining, good enough acting, good enough action; the plot and characters however feel a tad insipid and very run-of-the-mill, and it's not a movie that left me with the desire to watch again.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  21. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    I give it a solid 8/10.
    It has the feel of a summer adventure film of the 80's. The Corellia chase, the battle of Mimban, the train heist, the Kessel mine heist (and droid revolt), the Kessel Run, and the Savareen standoff... I mean, they were all very fun and exciting. And what's best, it left me wanting a sequel. As Sheev would say "A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    8.5-9/ 10 for me. Second favorite of the Disney era. An underrated gem of a Star Wars film.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "Never tell me the ratings!"

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. myanime002

myanime002 Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2018
    Not the best of SW films I rate is 8, however most essential for me is a certain something, after I watched it I JUST WANT MORE. I need this doesn't feel like me new anecdotes about Qi Ra, Han, perhaps Lando. I didn't expect that previously yet they did it, Good employment.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t really know what this means, but I definitely agree!

EHT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.