main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Rate "Solo" on 1 to 10 scale in this Poll & Also Rank It Among All the Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Nerdling, May 24, 2018.

?

On a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate "Solo: A Star Wars Story"?

1. 10 -- phenomenal!

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 9

64 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. 8

140 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. 7

95 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. 6

47 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. 5

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 4

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 3

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 2

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 1 -- abysmal :(

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I rank them like this, I guess. The more in the middle a movie the more likely its place is to change at any given moment. The extremes are pretty locked in, though. Also, I enjoy every single one of these movies. There's only one movie I think is A Bad Movie, but I enjoy it regardless.

1. The Empire Strikes Back.
    Not a controversial pic for first, for sure. Funnily enough, ESB used to be my least favorite Star Wars movie back when there were only three of them. I just kind of thought it was boring for a large chunk of it. Hoth was okay, but I really preferred space battles so the walkers and everything didn't really do it for me. Yoda was cool himself, but the training itself was too philosophical for my tastes. Of course, as I've grown older I've grown to appreciate some of these things more and see ESB for pretty much the perfect movie it is.

2. A New Hope
    There's not much to say about this one. I think its held under ESB a smidge due to not quite embracing some of the deeper aspects of the lore as much as ESB does and thus comes across as a little bit more of a straight adventure piece than anything particularly thought provoking. Really, though, they sit side by side.

3. The Last Jedi
    Obviously a lot of people disagree on this one. I really, really enjoyed TLJ. Luke's self doubt and self-imposed exile make complete sense to me. Pretty much everything with Rey, Luke, and Kylo Ren really appeal to me and if the movie were just that I might say its equal to ESB and ANH. I think Poe's storyline is the weakest aspect of the movie and holds it back from being pretty much perfect as the above two are, but otherwise I think TLJ is a fantastic movie. My only regret about it is how much it has torn the fandom in two. I had hoped that the sequels wouldn't do like the prequels did, but I also knew they inevitably would.

4. Rogue One
    I think I might have ranked this lower previously, but after a couple more viewings and thinking on it I think I want to place it here. I think this is a really solid side story to the main saga. I like all of the characters even if they aren't explored as much as if this were not a standalone movie or if the crew were a little smaller. It does a really great job at providing some excellent Star Wars action while also putting some real emotional weight into the search for the Death Star plans. I rolled my eyes when the concept was first announced because I felt this story had been done enough times already, but I really think RO earns its place as the canonical take on it. I rank below the other three becaause while I do enjoy the movie a lot, its also just straight fun and I don't think it really elevates itself to great movie status like the others up above.

5. Return of the Jedi
    This was my favorite as a kid when ESB was my least favorite. Like I said, I like space battles and RotJ had the best one up until RO. Unlike ESB and even ANH, I felt like this one always had something interesting and exciting going on to my kid mind. Unfortunately, as I've grown older I've come to realize that a lot of the excitement is fairly shallow. Luke with the Emperor and Vader in the Death Star is probably peak Star Wars and of course I love the space battle still, but everything else feels a little shallow.

6. The Force Awakens
    This and RotJ probably really are tied. They both have aspects that I really really enjoy, but they also have a couple of aspects that are a little disappointing. I like the new characters introduced for the ST. Rey discovering her powers, especially that lightsaber pull in the end, gives me chills. Although I was disappointed Luke really only makes a cameo, I like the legendary status he holds and the way Han and Leia are placed into the story. The things that hold it back for me are Maz feeling like a character from another draft they forgot to erase and, most importantly, Starkiller Base.

7. Revenge of the Sith
    RotS is hard. I think it has some of the best scenes in Star Wars. I think it very well could have been as great as any of the movies higher in the list if it didn't also suffer the same problems as the other prequels - particularly AotC. You can full see George's ideas on the display here, and they're great, but the execution just isn't there consistently.

8. Solo
    Solo is, I think, a lot more consistent the RotS. Solo's best scenes don't come close to RotS's best scenes, but it also doesn't have anything near as bad as RotS's worst scenes. Solo really might be the better movie overall, but, personally, Han's backstory wasn't something I was particularly interested in. I like it a lot despite that and obviously enjoy it more than the next couple of movies. However, if I was forced to choose one movie to erase from existence it would probably be Solo just because it feels so unnecessary.

9. The Phantom Menace
    I think TPM gets a bad rap. Its not a great movie and there are a few decisions made regarding the story in TPM that damage the prequels overall. I definitely understand why people reacted the way they did (when my dad asked me what I thought after we left the theatre the first time, I said I liked it but it didn't feel like Star Wars). However, I think it holds up better when divorced from Star Wars. I think it would have been received better (but grossed much much less) if it had been just a standalone sci-fi fantasy adventure movie for kids rather than the highly anticipated prequel to the Star Wars saga. In some ways, I think it might be a better movie than RotS, but it just doesn't resonate with me as a Star Wars fan as much so here it sits.

10. Attack of the Clones
    I'm going to say it. AotC is hot garbage. This dumpster fire is probably the only Star Wars movie that I would say is unequivocally bad. The writings is embarrassing, the acting even more so. The plot is half baked. About the only section I enjoy for the sake of itself is Padmé and Anakin on Tatooine. I think Lucas and Christensen did a great here. The rest of it not so much. With that said, I still love this guy for what it is (a movie only a Star Wars fan can love) and always watch it with the rest.

2. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Revenge of the Sith (Emotionally solid)
    Rogue One (Spectacular third act and characters)
    A New Hope (All-around decent)
    Empire Strikes Back (Great first and third acts)
    Last Jedi (Visually appealing)
    Force Awakens (Neither good nor bad)

Solo (Nobody asked for this, and why put all the mentioned feats in the same movie)
    Attack of the Clones (Gaaaah, the romance, but hnnngh Detective Obi-Wan and the Arena)
    Phantom Menace (Jar-Jar, but damn is pod-racing dope)
    Return of the Jedi (Solid third act, takes too long to get there)

Lower than it could've been, had they not rushed it out the door with no fanfare

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Nobody asked for A New Hope either.

DarthFixxxer and TX-20 like this.
  4. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    There's a universal difference between a pioneer film and a film made to flesh out a character's vague backstory

MaciekRS and 3sm1r like this.
  5. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    Clearly with an original film no one will have asked for it and it will either be appreciated or not. However, I think there is a difference when you're working in a franchise (or maybe an adaptation of another existing work or similar). In a franchise, I don't think it makes sense that a film studio would want to release a new film in a franchise that people are generally clamoring for or would be interested in. For Star Wars, people wanted sequels to the OT and people were interested in the backstory to the Death Star plans being captured. TFA, TLJ and RO were "asked for" by this interest.

Based on the initial response to the announcement of Solo along with the general reception to it, I don't think it is unfair to say that a lot of people hadn't asked for the film; that is to say this wasn't a concept or story people were particularly interested in seeing, at least compared to other possibilities (in general, of course; this isn't universal; nothing is). Solo could, of course, more successful than it has been been received better despite having not been "asked for" if the execution had been better or more interesting. Unfortunately, however, for many the execution did not elevate the film passed its concept and so, for many, the general response has been "why is this movie even here; nobody asked for it".

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a stupid statement, no matter how one cuts it. And no, we don’t have any polling figures on what fans asked for. So that’s nonsense. And I don’t think its relatively low Box Office numbers have much to do with the film itself. Likely more to do with an oddly short, 3-month marketing campaign. Not to mention that between its Box Office haul and home video sales, it still made more money than 95% of movies released last year. And it has a pretty solid reputation in the fandom.

ETA: Sorry. Probably the wrong thread for this above.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    TX-20 and wobbits like this.
  7. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not trying to put the movie down myself. I enjoyed it. And I'm not saying that its low box office was just the result of "nobody asking for it". However, while literally nobody is probably incorrect, I think it is disingenuous to ignore that a large part of the audience reaction to both the movie's announcement and to the film itself once released was "why?".

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t understand where you got this data confirming that a “large part of the audience reaction to both the movie’s announcement and to the film itself once release” was “why?” Perhaps a good number of particularly loud and active YouTuber fans reacted that way, but that says nothing about the larger audience, either in the fandom or outside of it.

wobbits likes this.
  9. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That no one has made the criticism that Solo was unneeded or unwanted? Because that's obviously not true. That it was only a small minority that has said that criticism? I mean, maybe, but I'm not particularly interested in talking percentages and even if I were I doubt its likely you have any more data in regards to it than I do. Is something about the box office like you mentioned in your previous post because I never brought up box office and only think its partially or tangentially related.

My point was only to explain how "no one asked for it" (which, in my mind, equals the film was unnecessary since I think we'll both agree that its not literally true that nobody asked for it) is a valid criticism despite your initial assertion that nobody asked for A New Hope either. Please also note if/when crafting a response that, to my mind, I'm not using the term "valid criticism" to mean that it is an objective truth that the film was unnecessary, but only that it is an opinion that people hold and that this opinion is not based on objective untruths or "stupid" as you asserted.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I do understand that it’s a figure of speech. If I were to translate it into a more direct phrase, I would say that there “doesn’t seem to have been a demand signal” for the Han Solo movie. But there also didn’t seem to be a “demand signal” for the story of how the Death Star plans were acquired, so I don’t really see it as a useful critique. And no, I don’t have any data to show that fans or other audiences were interested in a Han Solo movie. But I’m also not making assertions that require substantiation with data. You said there wasn’t a demand signal for Solo (i.e. nobody asked for it), but I don’t think that assertion can be backed up.

Also, it’s the kind of phrase that really rubs people the wrong way, as it implies that people who were interested in a Solo movie are both a significant minority, and not even worth acknowledging. Solo has loads of fans. And they’re not nobodies. So let’s drop this “nobody asked for it” schtick.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    wobbits likes this.
  11. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    If we were going to compare RO to Solo, I would suggest that this conversation regarding whether or anybody asked for it happening more with Solo than to RO (at least in my anecdotal experience) and that the story behind the Death Star plans being told countless times in multiple fashions is an indicator that, indeed, there was a desire, or "demand signal", for the story of RO, or, at least, more of one than there was for the backstory of Han Solo.

Also, to clarify the conversation, I never actually said myself "nobody asked for Solo". I jumped in only to explain the difference between the statements "nobody asked for Solo" which @Vinylshadow said and "nobody asked for A New Hope" which you said. My own opinion, as stated a few posts up, is that while I thoroughly enjoy Solo I find that it feels unnecessary which I guess is my way of saying "nobody asked for this" without unintentionally marginalizing the other people who enjoy Solo as I do.

Vinylshadow and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. Let’s leave it there, as I don’t disagree (and have personally wanted to know the story of the DS plans since I saw ANH in the late 70s). Also, we may be seriously boring people.

Vinylshadow and Link1130 like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Things nobody asked for:
    • This argument
    Now get back to ranking and rating the film, you nerds.

14. libraryMom1

libraryMom1 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2019
    You’re probably the closest to my rankings I’ve seen on here so far! However for me I put ROTJ on top mostly because of Luke and Vader’s dynamic throughout the film. Perhaps with age that may change like in your case.

As for Solo I think you put that very well. It lacked a WOW moment for me. Something present in all the other films which I ranked higher. That being said it is still a fun movie.

I have ATOC too, but it’s strange bc even though it is a pretty bad film every once in a while I feel compelled to watch it! And if it’s on TV you can bet your ship that I’ll be watching it!

MaciekRS and Link1130 like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I feel compelled to watch AOTC sometimes too, even though it’s not so great. But I generally turn it off before the droid factory and the entire Geonosis section (third act). It’s the worst part for me.

The only SW film I absolutely never feel compelled to watch is ROTS.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    libraryMom1 likes this.
  16. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I rarely watch just a single Star Wars movie. If I'm going to watch one I watch them all (usually, but not always, in chronological order).

libraryMom1 and TX-20 like this.
  17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    01. The Empire Strikes Back
    02. The Last Jedi
    03. The Force Awakens
    04. Solo
    05. A New Hope
    06. Return of the Jedi
    07. Rogue One
    08. Attack of the Clones
    09. Revenge of the Sith
    10. The Phantom Menace

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I finally watched Solo and . . . wow. That was incredibly unremarkable. It's not a train wreck but still somehow I felt it . . . sucked. It's competently made but for 2/3rds of it, I found it pretty pedestrian and uncompelling.

6 out of 10 and that's me being nice.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Rogue One
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. Return of the Jedi
    8. Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. Solo

This ranking may change, I need to think more on it. I understand it seems harsh to rank Solo below TPM and AOTC, but oh my word, while I hated Eps 1 and 2 they at least felt important to the saga. This just felt forgettable. Like I don't even care to add this to my library.

Ridley Solo and MaciekRS like this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't think that's harsh. What's harsh is people calling films they don't like (possibly because they don't understand) hot garbage and dumpster fire, yet not being moderated. It seems that the term "bashing" is subjective lately.

20. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Update: a month after this post I finally forced myself to watch it again all the way through...because that's what I had to do. Again, it's not *bad*, just...unneeded filler, like the extra soybeans they put in frozen burritos; take it away and there's nothing lost, perhaps even something gained.

Again, still really happy other people can enjoy it. It's just not for me.

21. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    1. Rogue One (2016)
    2. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    3. Star Wars (1977)
    4. Return of the Jedi (1983)
    5. The Last Jedi (2017)
    6. The Force Awakens (2015)
    7. Solo (2018)
    8. Rebels (2014 - 2018 animated tv series)
    9. Ewoks (1985 - 1986 animated tv series)
    10. Star Wars: Resistance (2018 animated tv series)
    11. Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
    12. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 - 2014 animated tv series)
    13. Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure (1984 tv movie)
    14. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985 tv movie)
    15. The Phantom Menace (1999)
    16. Attack of the Clones (2002)
    17. Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    18. Droids (1985 - 1986 animated tv series)
    19. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 animated movie)
    20. Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003 - 2005 animated tv series)

22. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I've expressed my opinion in threads that specifically ask for us to share our opinions on these films. That is my honest opinion on AotC. It is harsh; I feel strongly about the quality of that film particularly in comparison to every other film in the franchise. I don't feel why expressing my personal opinion on a film would deserve attention from the moderation team. I did not insult anyone who made the film; just (harshly) criticized the creation. I did not insult anyone who likes AotC or attempt to delegitimize their opinion (the second of which it seems you're trying to do me). I don't pop up every time AotC is mentioned to make sure everyone knows that I believe the film is bad regardless of the actual topic. These are the things that I understand are unacceptable receive attention of the moderators. If you can explain to me how my posts are deserving of moderation, I would appreciate it.

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I personally believe in the minimum amount of moderation in forums, close to zero. But that's just my personal opinion, and these forums have a different approach, to which I have agreed and respect. I have seen multiple times TFA and even more so TLJ being characterised as turds or worse, and it was not allowed, considered as bashing. I would expect the same approach towards any film. There is nothing to gain from harsh phrases and words in my honest opinion.

To me, the person characterizing a film harshly without strong arguments delegetimizes their opinion on their own, I didn't try to do that with any of your opinions to be honest.

24. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I wasn't trying to gain anything. I was expressing my opinion as prompted by the topic of this thread and my opinion is harsh. I don't have a stake in regards to whether criticism of this or that movie is treated equitably with any others. However, I'm curious where these instances of TFA and TLJ being harshly criticized and then silenced occurred. Was it in a thread asking for an opinion such as this one or was that harsh opinion off topic in some other thread? I've seen them moderated in instances where the opinion wasn't on topic, but not the latter.

I'm not writing an essay or really trying to convince anyone of my opinion. I'm just sharing. I think I've provided more context for my opinion than most anyone else in this thread or other "rank the Star Wars films" threads. And you are absolutely attempting to delegitimize my opinion not only in the quoted portion here where you're gatekeeping how an opinion can be presented, but also prior where you tried to wave away my opinion as "not understanding". Now, if you'd like to actually discuss the film and what failings I find in it in more depth and perhaps what success I presume you find it in depth as well I'd be more than happy to (although I doubt this is the appropriate thread for it). So far, though, you've just discussed me and not the film.

25. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    I prefer to go forward than back. I'd rather Lucasfilm focus on new adventures with new characters, because I can't really feel the characters are in any danger since I already know they survive. Maybe that is why I liked Rogue One more, because I didn't know anything about those characters, even though it is a prequel of sorts too.

I also didn't like the casting. Alden Ehrenreich just is not Han Solo. The guy is a great actor, and he certainly had huge shoes to fill. I lie that he tries to make the character his own instead of doing a Harrison Ford impersonation. It is hard to replace iconic characters like James Bond with new actors, but it ca be done.

Despite all of that, I still enjoyed Solo very much. It is just a fun movie. I was highly entertained and in the end it left me wanting to see more about Qi'ra and Enfys Nest. I hope they tell more of this story, even if it isn't in a movie.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.