main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Rate "Solo" on 1 to 10 scale in this Poll & Also Rank It Among All the Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Nerdling, May 24, 2018.

?

On a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate "Solo: A Star Wars Story"?

1. 10 -- phenomenal!

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 9

64 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. 8

140 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. 7

95 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. 6

47 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. 5

20 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 4

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 3

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 2

6 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 1 -- abysmal :(

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah... For the second time, no. I did not quote any of your posts. My post was not even addressed to you. I used your phrases as examples. That's all.

2. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    You didn't use the forum's "quote" functionality, yes, but you did literally quote my words. To use my phrases as an example means you are speaking about me, even if you are also speaking of others. But if you're not interested in continuing the conversation then fair enough.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Let's drop this and go back to rating/ranking Solo.

Link1130 likes this.
  4. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    I gave it a 7/10 simply because I think Han was miscast, but the actor Alden did alright.

The movie was great, it had LORE and visited familiar planets in the galaxy
    The music wasn't that great hence giving it a lower score
    Dryden Vos was a convincing villain
    The Crimson Dawn Yacht was cool
    Woody Harrelson did a great job playing Beckett
    Rio was a likable character too bad he had to be killed off so early, but oh well
    Kessel had Wookie slaves that related to past Star Wars material
    The Falcon made the Kessel run
    Savareen is a legends planet brought to canon
    Mimban is also a legends planet brought to canon
    Glover does a pretty good job playing Lando
    It had the Sabacc game
    Darth Maul made a cool appearance even though I think he should have remained dead after TPM
    Chewbacca was cool as always

It's such a shame that Ron Howard made such a great Star Wars movie, but Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi pretty much destroyed Solo going into it, giving Solo a terrible box office outcome and crippling the Star Wars fanbase in general.

removed, bashing. @Dominus Libertas, you've been warned. Review the rules of the forum and this board. /heels

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    6/10. Rank it higher than TLJ and AOTC(which are last and next to last respectively). It was decent and the vfx were terrific. I loved what they did combining practical fx with cg for the aliens and droids. The movie was better than I expected.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    Solo currently ranks 7th in my list, behind the Original Trilogy and the other new movies, but ahead of the prequels. Even though it is way down at 7th, I still consider it a great movie though. It's not perfect, no movie ever is. I think the casting could have been better. I'm not crazy about how pristine the Falcon is and how demolished it gets. But overall, I was highly entertained and I've watched it many times. There are some really great moments that add to the saga.

7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    This is almost exactly how I feel, except I'd rank Solo above Rogue One. A part of me thinks Rogue One is probably the better film, in regards to its story, dramatic intensity, stakes, etc., but I think Solo has more better characters and is a more enjoyable film overall. I'm kind of annoyed that it's so far down the list, but it's just a testament to how much I like those other films rather than any sort of indictment of Solo's quality.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo and Rogue One simply seem to belong in the same galaxy, and in the same galaxy as the OT.

The PT and ST, in contrast, feel like different universes to me. And I don’t mean because of the different time periods. It’s a stylistic thing. The overall style and aesthetics don’t match.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The world of the ST feels like that of the OT to me, albeit one in which 30 years of passing time have streamlined some of the iconography we're familiar with. The content of the world feels the same; it's the cinematography and sometimes the tone of certain scenes that feels different, which I'm fine with. The PT, particularly AotC and RotS, feels different from the world of the OT in nearly every respect, but I've since come to just accept that and roll with it.

All this to say, I largely agree, though: Rogue One and Solo feel like they were somehow made in the '80s, post-RotJ, by the same people who made the OT, but with 2010's special effects delivered to them by some time traveling wizard. And I wish I could rank them higher, damn it, but I just have stronger feelings towards the ST. But the only thing stopping me from watching SOLO/RO/ANH/TESB/RoTJ on a never-ending loop is, no joke, the Darth Maul scene. It is so weirdly out of place and it's going to drive me insane until it gets some sort of on-screen resolution.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I wish I could feel that strongly about the ST, to be honest. Unfortunately, after initially enjoying TFA and TLJ, I’m now simply bored by the ST story and have difficulty rewatching them. I have difficulty caring about the conflicts in it because they don’t really register as authentic to me. My hope is that JJ delivers his best film yet, and blows me away with IX. It’s probably a long shot, but just the possibility of that will keep me interested for now. But otherwise, I’m way more excited about the TV shows. Those are going to do things, story and character-wise, that we’ve never seen before in live action Star Wars, and I just can’t wait.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  11. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I'm almost wondering if it's even fair at this point to rank the spin-offs with the saga films. The spin-offs are telling very different stories with very different tones than the saga films, when you really think about it. Going forward, I might just rank the Skywalker saga films on their own, and rank everything else separately.

12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed. I think I'll have an easier time ranking Rogue One and Solo alongside the Disney+ shows like The Mandalorian and the Cassian Andor series than amongst the Skywalker saga films.

rocknroll41 and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s fair because the saga films are films, and the anthology films are films too. So I judge them as films. Different kinds of films, sure. But as I think a film should stand on its own as a film, no matter what franchise or series or genre expectations it is connected to, every big screen entry can be judged that way. Otherwise, I think we duplicate the way some critics (and creators) treat genre entertainment. As not quite worthy of being judged by the same standards as “real films.” And so you get the “grading on a curve” phenomenon, which incentivizes a lower standard of quality.

ETA: I know that’s not what you were implying, but I get carried away sometimes. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    EHT, AndyLGR and rocknroll41 like this.
  14. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    From best to worst scale

ESB....ROTS..........ANH...TFA.........RO..ROTJ....SOLO..........AOTC..TPM.......................................................................................TLJ

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  15. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I know I just posted this on the ST forum, but this is my current ranking:

(and it's probably gonna stay this way for awhile cause I gave this a lot of thought over the last week or so to settle on this ranking)

1.Star Wars (1977)
    2.The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    3.Return of the Jedi (1983)
    4.The Force Awakens (2015)
    5.Solo (2018)
    6.The Last Jedi (2017)
    7.Rogue One (2016)
    8.The Phantom Menace (1999)
    9.Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    10.Attach of the Clones (2002)
    11.The Clone Wars (2008)

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I followed up the TFA/TLJ back-to-back special I mentioned in the ST forum with a RO/SOLO double-feature. I can share my super wordy thoughts on both films if anyone is interested, but, uh... suffice to say, they’ve both leapfrogged up my rankings. Like, a lot. A lot.
    1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Solo
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. Return of the Jedi
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Revenge of the Sith
    10. Attack of the Clones

EHT, AndyLGR and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wow, that’s a very significant change. And now, I might add, your list looks very similar to mine. :)

What happened to bring you to the light side, and lift the Anthologies above the ST for you?

I’m very interested in your super wordy thoughts...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    PymParticles and EHT like this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Honestly I don't think I can ever see a day when the OT is going to be displaced from the top of my list. I've grown up with them, they are my whole childhood. Of course I enjoy films later in the series, but the originals are so engrained on me over this last 40 years.

The more I watch the new films, the more I feel that the anthologies are really adding something to the series as a whole. I like the direction they've taken and I hope Solos box office doesn't make them rethink these kind of films. Also TLJ has fast become my least favourite, I feel TFA set up the ST perfectly and TLJ has set it back for me.

Empire
    Star Wars
    Jedi
    RO
    Solo
    TFA
    ROTS
    TPM
    ATOC
    TLJ

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Darth Smurf and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I've watched it again and I've graded it up a notch. It's good fun. Remarkably, none of the Disney movies thus far have managed to get even close to any of the six Lucas movies, but this one is certainly overall their best effort.

Darkslayer and DarthFixxxer like this.
  20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Here's Rogue One:

Obviously, Rogue One ended up overtaking TFA and TLJ in my estimation after a few hours' time of reflection and digestion. I think TLJ is a slightly better movie, and RO is about equal to TFA when it all shakes out (they have different flaws and different strengths) but having seen all four again across a few days, I found myself liking and getting into Rogue One more. I was also emotionally moved to the point of getting choked up, like, six times, just from watching normal people risk and sacrifice everyone they have to fight oppression, with anonymous death and the hope that someone will pick up where they left off as their only reward. Here's Solo:

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Interesting. I might agree to a certain degree regarding the stylistic approach, but in every other approach (dialogue, direction, worldbuilding, characters, escapism, music, the Force and more), the PT feels completely in the same universe to me as the OT. While the ST feels like a whole different galaxy, in all of these aspects. Surprisingly, the two stand alone movies, feel very close to the PT and the OT as well to me. Solo actually feels the closest we have gotten to the PT so far in every aspect.

I recently saw Solo for the 3rd time, while on a transatlantic flight. The 2nd time I watched it, it seemed better to me than the 1st time. The 3rd time seemed.... slightly worse than the 2nd time. I don't know why. It wasn't due to watching it on a plane though, because I was fully immersed. As of now, it ranks below all George Lucas films and Rogue One for me.

Darkslayer and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with nearly everything you said about both Rogue One and Solo. Though I actually think, as pieces of cinema (setting aside a competition of scripts, or their relative strengths as SW films) that Rogue One and Solo are overall better films than TFA and TLJ, no matter my personal preferences. While TLJ is IMO the most ambitious take on SW (and the first real critique of its underlying themes) I think it misses the mark as a stand-alone film. It’s more of an essay written by someone reflecting on Star Wars. Which is unique and nothing to shake a stick at, but it doesn’t work on its own as well as Rogue One and Solo, which tell their own stories (despite being connected to other ones) rather than try to pick apart their predecessors. That’s also why I can’t wait for RJ’s trilogy. I think he’ll do wonders with telling his own stories in the GFFA, rather than being saddled to (and compelled to critique) existing ones.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    PymParticles likes this.
  23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I went with an 8 out of 10, though I could have given it a 9. Very fun movie, with only one real flaw.

ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    SOLO
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC
    TLJ
    RO
    TFA

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Solo was rich with detail but I am stunned to see very few people discussing the coolest part of the entire film...

ENFYS NEST!

[​IMG]

PymParticles likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    We have a thread for discussing her here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.